idlewild
Topic Author

Will Boeing Follow Harley's Lead?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Seeing how the European and Asian markets are extremely lucrative for Boeing, I have to wonder if they too, will open up factories overseas to by-pass the tariffs/trade-wars, in order to stay solvent. The Middle East/mainland Asia certainly has the space and are very business friendly. Maybe Canada?

Polot

Re: Will Boeing Follow Harley's Lead?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:23 pm

1) Nobody has placed tariffs on aircraft yet as far as I’m aware.

2) HD has been in trouble long before this tariff issue- that’s what happens you when you just focus on aging baby boomers and don’t even attempt to make your self appealing to younger milleninals; your customers get too old to ride or die out. That is why Harley needed to move some production to stay solvent. Boeing is much much much healthier.

adh214

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:25 pm

I believe Harley Davidson already has factories overseas so they are moving production to an existing facility. Boeing doesn't have final assembly factories in Europe or China so this would be a much more difficult task.

kevin5345179

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 pm

wow ....
after all the BBD dispute, you are still expecting Canada to be friendly to you ?

opening factories doesn't happen next day ...
the only reason that Boeing hasn't been in the position similar to HD is because Airbus can't supply enough narrowbody aircraft

Skywatcher

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 pm

I think they should do it regardless. It would be a better way to hedge foreign exchange fluctuations/exposure.
Airbus is way ahead of Boeing in this regard. I think it just makes good business sense to diversify production globally, particularly given how global Boeing's customer base is.
How ironic that the blustery trade war threats might actually result in a mid to long term loss of American jobs. Unfortunately, the damage will only likely become evident in a couple of years so that the next president will be stuck with fixing the mess.

wrongwayup

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Polot wrote:

Hah, not for lack of trying though.

kevin5345179

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 pm

wrongwayup wrote:
Polot wrote:

Hah, not for lack of trying though.

China did it pretty carefully first time as warning shot

Jerry123

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

idlewild wrote:
Seeing how the European and Asian markets are extremely lucrative for Boeing, I have to wonder if they too, will open up factories overseas to by-pass the tariffs/trade-wars, in order to stay solvent. The Middle East/mainland Asia certainly has the space and are very business friendly. Maybe Canada?

Well if Airbus do make good on their threat to pull out of the UK there may well be 2 aircraft factories in the UK that they could look at! One in Filton in Bristol and 2 in Hawarden and Broughton in North Wales. Hawarden even has it's own airfield.

StTim

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

The EU has targetted against products from Red states. I don't like trade wars - we all lose out. The interesting thing will be if the rest of the world ignores tariffs against each other and just target the US. Then it becomes US Vs the world.

I am sure the likes of Airbus and Rolls Royce have securing a second and non US source for all items they currently use very near the top of their business priorities.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:21 pm

The Harley announcement was completely disingenuous, closing the KC plant was in the works even before the tax cut. Harley US sales are way down, double digits, their two biggest dogs were made at KC.

catiii

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:26 pm

idlewild wrote:
in order to stay solvent

I don't think you haven to worry about Boeing becoming insolvent...tariffs or no tariffs.

itchief

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:32 pm

StTim wrote:
The EU has targetted against products from Red states. I don't like trade wars - we all lose out. The interesting thing will be if the rest of the world ignores tariffs against each other and just target the US. Then it becomes US Vs the world.

I am sure the likes of Airbus and Rolls Royce have securing a second and non US source for all items they currently use very near the top of their business priorities.

And something like this will happen because the USA is so weak? Really, you think this is how it will work out? :roll:

StTim

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:33 pm

itchief wrote:
StTim wrote:

And something like this will happen because the USA is so weak? Really, you think this is how it will work out? :roll:

I do think the USA is not proving to be a good partner and friend to its traditional allies at this time. It is going out of its way to pick fights with Canada, the EU etc.

For businesses it is all about the security of its supply chain. One having the US in it is increasingly problematical for them.

Airbus with its factory in Mobile has a foot in the US market. Boeing is making great play of the factory it is setting up in the UK.

Mind you - I actually have no leg to stand on really at the moment given BREXIT and the chaos in trading that is causing.

par13del

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 pm

StTim wrote:

I do think the USA is not proving to be a good partner and friend to its traditional allies at this time.

The USA runs a trade deficit with all of its major allies, the USA is in hock to China and Japan because it is financing a lot of its activities and has been doing this for a couple decades, eventually the time will come when they will have to pay the piper or declare "Chpt.11". When would be a good time for them to start addressing their trade imbalances and their prolific borrowing?
When they do start consuming less, what do you think that will do to trade with other countries?
When they start borrowing less, what will that do to the currency market?

As much as we would like it to be, the USA is not a bottomless pit, one can look at Trump and realize that there are persons in the USA who are getting tired of how their country is being run and the current POTUS is just a manifestation of that frustration, has everyone forgotten about the Tea Party and its supporters who came before Trump, if you look at their economics and trying to force the government to live within their means...............

slider

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 pm

H-D has a product problem, they also have high labor costs.

Also, for our European friends, isn't the VAT tax a disincentive for American/foreign companies unto itself?

StTim

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 pm

par13del wrote:
StTim wrote:

I do think the USA is not proving to be a good partner and friend to its traditional allies at this time.

The USA runs a trade deficit with all of its major allies, the USA is in hock to China and Japan because it is financing a lot of its activities and has been doing this for a couple decades, eventually the time will come when they will have to pay the piper or declare "Chpt.11". When would be a good time for them to start addressing their trade imbalances and their prolific borrowing?
When they do start consuming less, what do you think that will do to trade with other countries?

As much as we would like it to be, the USA is not a bottomless pit, one can look at Trump and realize that there are persons in the USA who are getting tired of how their country is being run and the current POTUS is just a manifestation of that frustration, has everyone forgotten about the Tea Party and its supporters who came before Trump, if you look at their economics and trying to force the government to live within their means...............

I for one never quite trust trade figures. If you and track trade then the hash total for all countries in the world should be zero. BUT it never is. It is always a large deficit.

Americans have lived lavishly of cheap goods from other nations - supplied at a cost and quality they struggle to complete with (the same applies here by the way). What they do however is win at the high tech.

This is now becoming way too political BUT I tend to agree we should live with our means - which is why I have concerns at the impact of the recent huge budget giveaway.

airzona11

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I think they should do it regardless. It would be a better way to hedge foreign exchange fluctuations/exposure.
Airbus is way ahead of Boeing in this regard. I think it just makes good business sense to diversify production globally, particularly given how global Boeing's customer base is.
How ironic that the blustery trade war threats might actually result in a mid to long term loss of American jobs. Unfortunately, the damage will only likely become evident in a couple of years so that the next president will be stuck with fixing the mess.

Boeing has a diversified supply chain. Boeing is a very healthy business. Harley Davidson has been struggling for quite some time. The correlation with the timing was convenient for HD, not the cause of their actions. There is nothing Boeing will do or needs to do following a company like HD.

PPVRA

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 pm

StTim wrote:
par13del wrote:
StTim wrote:

I for one never quite trust trade figures. If you and track trade then the hash total for all countries in the world should be zero. BUT it never is. It is always a large deficit.

Americans have lived lavishly of cheap goods from other nations - supplied at a cost and quality they struggle to complete with (the same applies here by the way). What they do however is win at the high tech.

This is now becoming way too political BUT I tend to agree we should live with our means - which is why I have concerns at the impact of the recent huge budget giveaway.

Europe benefits just as much from cheap Chinese products. Consumer prices are higher in Europe for one reason—high taxes.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PPVRA

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 pm

This thread makes no sense on a number of different levels.

*Harley’s actual situation.
*aircraft specific trade agreements.
*national security
*the colossal implication of something like this would change any politicians mind.

And others.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

WkndWanderer

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
The Harley announcement was completely disingenuous, closing the KC plant was in the works even before the tax cut. Harley US sales are way down, double digits, their two biggest dogs were made at KC.

I don't think disingenuous is totally accurate, the EU is an important market for them. I think the more relevant factor for Harley was that they already have existing production facilities in Brazil, Thailand, and India. It was probably a no-brainer decision for Harley to shuffle their deck chairs around as a way to bypass tariffs because their existing global manufacturing footprint gives them that kind of flexibility with much less difficulty. Boeing doesn't have that option as all of their existing FAL sites are in the United States, they would have to build up something from scratch at greater difficulty and expense.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:15 pm

StTim wrote:

I'm waiting till theTrump hammers EU wine and cognac if the EU goes through against US produced distilled spirits. This explains a lot of why I'd love to see it.

https://www.ft.com/content/18c72562-3aa ... 27b8a20f23

JoergAtADN

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 pm

slider wrote:
Also, for our European friends, isn't the VAT tax a disincentive for American/foreign companies unto itself?

Why, it's paid for all products and services, independent of there origin.

StTim

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Far too many wanting more tariffs on here which is a huge worry for the world. Trade wars hurt the little people most. That is you and I. We pay more. Products protected in country become more expensive and poorer quality.

It is not a good direction and as I said above I am never happy to see additional tariffs.

Flighty

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm

par13del wrote:
StTim wrote:

The US government can print US dollars, which really helps with the whole owing people money thing.

But, we have been spending too much for a very long time. We don't have a culture of paying for anything anymore. It will eventually rot out the stability of our currency and ability to borrow. But this is self inflicted -- largely US government owing money to other Americans. You can think of it as a stealth tax by our government and all the people who are connected to it.

China is a neat source of cheap goods, but otherwise poses no particular problem to us.

WkndWanderer

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:37 pm

PPVRA wrote:
This thread makes no sense on a number of different levels.

*national security
*the colossal implication of something like this would change any politicians mind.

And others.

You wouldn't see many credible national security objections to seeing a 737 FAL opened up somewhere else, Boeing already has a huge global supply chain with components from all over, and it would hardly be revolutionary even for a U.S. manufacturer, McDonnell Douglas had started doing it decades ago and Airbus assembles A320's on three continents. We also don't live in a normal political environment anymore, politicians aren't necessarily responsive to things that aren't in some Americans best interests because they know they don't have to be for their own political audience...if the bulk of Boeing's manufacturing was in a place like Orlando or Pittsburgh that would likely be different, but the politics of western Washington are pretty firmly baked in.

ual777

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:56 pm

kevin5345179 wrote:
wow ....
after all the BBD dispute, you are still expecting Canada to be friendly to you ?

the only reason that Boeing hasn't been in the position similar to HD is because Airbus can't supply enough narrowbody aircraft

lol wut?

Explaination please.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Varsity1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:56 pm

HD is a failing company with terrible products. It's a last ditch effort by terrible management to keep doing what they have always done.

If a country were to leverage taxes on boeing products, airbus would fleece them to high heaven. Good luck on that.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Sancho99504

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:03 am

Harley just opened a brand new facility in Thailand and had already set in motion the closing of the KC plant. The work done in KC is shifting to that brand new plant. Exec's are using the fear of tariffs as the reason for closing KC....

The tariffs on US exports paid are a lot higher than what are paid on foreign imports. I think a lot of these tarrif disputes will be solved before the year is over.

Free trade should be just that, FREE. Boeing and Airbus pay tariffs on a lot of products they import.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

texl1649

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 am

StTim wrote:
Far too many wanting more tariffs on here which is a huge worry for the world. Trade wars hurt the little people most. That is you and I. We pay more. Products protected in country become more expensive and poorer quality.

It is not a good direction and as I said above I am never happy to see additional tariffs.

I don’t know who wants more tariffs. Trump, like the German auto makers, seems to just want to get rid of them. It makes business simpler, after all. Who has argued in favor of tariffs?

Harley has probably equivocated/deceived a bit on their move to Thailand (which has huge tariffs on the imported motorcycles from the US). Who has criticized Thailand’s tariffs tho? Should Boeing have planned in January to move a plant from Kansas to Thailand it would be much bigger news. The truth is Boeing, like GE is only nominally American though. Their US content I think is pretty similar overall to Airbus, but for labor.

idlewild
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:14 am

catiii wrote:
idlewild wrote:
in order to stay solvent

I don't think you haven to worry about Boeing becoming insolvent...tariffs or no tariffs.[/quote

So, if I'm correct, China, Japan and the Republic of Korea are being taxed (tariffed) at a high rate. I see two dangers, and maybe I watch too much television, but nonetheless: China and Russia, I believe, are very serious about a joint wide body commercial airline design. I've been ridiculed for saying that they will have something up and going within ten years, but this is the instinct I have. If the airliner has decent specs, I don't see why airlines wouldn't be buying said wide body, save for the stereotype reputation of clunky Russian and Chinese aircraft. Two: What's to prevent Airbus from making affected airlines "an offer they can't refuse?" No offense to any band leaders in the airliners.net community.

planecane

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 am

par13del wrote:
The USA runs a trade deficit with all of its major allies, the USA is in hock to China and Japan because it is financing a lot of its activities and has been doing this for a couple decades, eventually the time will come when they will have to pay the piper or declare "Chpt.11".

One thing to note is that as long as other countries are loaning to the USA in USD, the USA can't go bankrupt. The Federal reserve can just print money to pay back loans. It would cause massive inflation and devalue the dollar but they could do it. The economic collapse that would be caused worldwide prevents any country from telling the USA to pay up.

catiii

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:31 am

idlewild wrote:
catiii wrote:
idlewild wrote:
in order to stay solvent

I don't think you haven to worry about Boeing becoming insolvent...tariffs or no tariffs.[/quote

So, if I'm correct, China, Japan and the Republic of Korea are being taxed (tariffed) at a high rate. I see two dangers, and maybe I watch too much television, but nonetheless: China and Russia, I believe, are very serious about a joint wide body commercial airline design. I've been ridiculed for saying that they will have something up and going within ten years, but this is the instinct I have. If the airliner has decent specs, I don't see why airlines wouldn't be buying said wide body, save for the stereotype reputation of clunky Russian and Chinese aircraft. Two: What's to prevent Airbus from making affected airlines "an offer they can't refuse?" No offense to any band leaders in the airliners.net community.

You understand the definition of insolvent, right? And I'm not a "band leader" (whatever that means).

Balloonchaser

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:05 am

Here it is boys,

Boeing Company is Proud to be American and takes pride in having its aircraft made in America. Don’t expect to see Boeing Co. expand its facilities outside the USA.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 am

kevin5345179 wrote:
wow ....

You have no idea what you are talking about. Many customers simply find the 737 to better meet their needs.

kevin5345179

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
kevin5345179 wrote:
wow ....

You have no idea what you are talking about. Many customers simply find the 737 to better meet their needs.

Really ? Is this all the Boeing fan boys can think about ? Wow....... feeling pity for you
I'm not arguing about which plane fit better for an airlines
I'm stating the fact that if the demand for narrowbody is more than 120 planes per month or even 140 per month, it is simply impossible for a single OEM to reach such production rate today. Countries like China can't simply walk away from buying either OEM because it'll hurt its own economy even more

PanHAM

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 am

slider wrote:
H-D has a product problem, they also have high labor costs.

No, not at all. The VAT is a final consumer tax. VAT is raised on entry of goods into the singöe EU market. Assuming an importer buys goods for the border value of 1 Million €. The VAT raised amounts to € 190 K but is fully deductible when sold to the next Party, say for 1.5 Million net value plus 19% VAT the taxman collects 285 K minus the 190K paid on imporrt, the net payable is € 95K . That goes on until the final consumer buys the Merchandise. There is no difference between local and overseas manufacturers pr Service providors.

Important is the entry of the goods into the System.

To answer the opener's question, , the answer is a simple NO, for the reason that Boeing is a defence providor. OTH, parts for civilian Projects such as the 787 are made all over the world already. This Shows how good globalisation works until some former (or still?) real
estate Mogul crashs into the System, hurting the own economy more than others.

HD Shows astonishngly quick how such a stupid move can backfire, eliminating Jobs locally and adding Jobs overseas.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Noshow

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:18 am

Isn't Boeing building something big at Shanghai?

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:23 am

kevin5345179 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
kevin5345179 wrote:
wow ....

Really ? Is this all the Boeing fan boys can think about ? Wow....... feeling pity for you
I'm not arguing about which plane fit better for an airlines
I'm stating the fact that if the demand for narrowbody is more than 120 planes per month or even 140 per month, it is simply impossible for a single OEM to reach such production rate today. Countries like China can't simply walk away from buying either OEM because it'll hurt its own economy even more

I’m not a Boeing fanboy. Clearly I understand the industry better though. Save your pity.

Your previous post suggested that the only reason that airlines buy the 737 is because they have to since Airbus can’t deliver enough A32x airplanes. I called you out on that incorrect statement.

WIederling

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm

slider wrote:

Why do you think that?
VAT is a final consumer tax. ( every one else is just doing the states bookkeeping.)

you export something out of the EU and you get VAT refunded.
you import something into the EU and import VAT is levied on the product.
Murphy is an optimist

cpd

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:46 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Here it is boys,

Boeing Company is Proud to be American and takes pride in having its aircraft made in America. Don’t expect to see Boeing Co. expand its facilities outside the USA.

Except all the bits that are not made in America.

Boeing has facilities everywhere around the world. Even in my country.

MIflyer12

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:16 am

par13del wrote:
StTim wrote:

The USA runs a trade deficit with all of its major allies....

The U.S. ran surpluses with six of its 15 largest trading partners in 2017. It certainly has a deficit overall but that's not what you claimed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos