Sun Country adds 5 routes from PDX

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sun-country- ... 486701861/

PDX-HNL (4x weekly)
PDX-PSP (2x weekly)
PDX-LAS (4x weekly)
PDX-PHX (4x weekly)
PDX-RNO (2x weekly)

All will start in November 2018 (no definitive date in November announced yet). All will be winter seasonal routes.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

lavalampluva

Re: Sun Country adds 5 routes from PDX

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Wow. Going up against AS. Pretty gutsy!
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

tphuang

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Good time to add. Especially at so low frequency, I doubt as will care enough to counter this move

FA9295
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Schedule for each of the routes:

Honolulu: Starts November 14th (Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

PDX-HNL: SY791 10:00 AM - 1:50 PM
HNL-PDX: SY792 3:20 PM - 10:50 PM

Palm Springs: Starts November 1st (Thursday, Sunday)

PDX-PSP: SY691 2:35 PM - 4:50 PM
PSP-PDX: SY692 5:45 PM - 8:10 PM

Las Vegas: Starts November 1st (Thursday, Friday, Sunday, Monday)

PDX-LAS: SY683 8:25 AM - 10:30 AM
LAS-PDX: SY684 11:25 AM - 1:40 PM

Phoenix: Starts November 14th (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Monday)

PDX-PHX: SY685 7:00 AM - 10:30 AM
PHX-PDX: SY686 11:25 AM - 1:05 PM

Reno/Tahoe: Starts November 16th (Friday, Monday)

PDX-RNO: SY687 2:05 PM - 3:25 PM
RNO-PDX: SY688 4:20 PM - 5:45 PM

airzona11

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Skim the holiday traffic, warm weather and Lake Tahoe.

lhpdx

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm

My wishlist for Sun Country is a seasonal MSY, FLL, TPA, and ANC out of PDX............

af773atmsp

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Clearly this means AS and SY will merge. :duck:
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Wow... I dont think HNL is a good idea for them
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

BWIAirport

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:37 pm

af773atmsp wrote:

Wouldn't be the worst idea on Alaska's part, but I don't think SY is terribly threatening competition, as they have a much smaller network and offer much more charter ops.
Next flight: AY5466/BAW66 PHL-LHR B744
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

lavalampluva

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

Wouldn't be the worst idea on Alaska's part, but I don't think SY is terribly threatening competition, as they have a much smaller network and offer much more charter ops.

At least the aircraft will match up. But SY lease their aircraft. Probably doesn't make a difference. But I'm not sure how fast AS is to spend more money since the purchase of VA. Having a mid-coast hub might work well for them.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:51 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?
To me, this is a clear indication that their LAX - HNL has been working well.

airportugal310

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:04 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

Any idiot and his idiot brother can fill seats out of LAX. That means absolutely nothing
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

SteveXC500

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:19 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

Any idiot and his idiot brother can fill seats out of LAX. That means absolutely nothing

Hawaii from the WC is "cheap." I use cheap when compared to DL in MSP. $1,000+ RT vs. a few hundred RT.

stlgph

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:24 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

Hawaii has far, far, far surpassed Sun Country's expectations.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

any yet, strangely, Allegiant failed, and Southwest hasn't even yet tried.
lot less about LAX, and more about HNL.

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:49 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Why?

Hawaii from the WC is "cheap." I use cheap when compared to DL in MSP. $1,000+ RT vs. a few hundred RT.

ya... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheap. I note that SY looks to have dropped the attempts to connect MSP to HNL via LAX, and also shows no connection via PDX.
I guess thats proof positive that SY is selling locally in LA, and looks to do so in Portland.

enilria

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

As I've said a few times, the new head of SY network planning is recently departed from AS, so go with what you know. AS will see more of SY.

routeplanner

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

enilria wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

As I've said a few times, the new head of SY network planning is recently departed from AS, so go with what you know. AS will see more of SY.

I know him. He is a great guy, and has formed a great planning team with individuals who have worked in planning at various airlines. Their route structure will be changing dramatically, and if they acquire more aircraft, watch for some really interesting underserved markets take shape.

sunking737

Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:13 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
af773atmsp wrote:

At least the aircraft will match up. But SY lease their aircraft. Probably doesn't make a difference. But I'm not sure how fast AS is to spend more money since the purchase of VA. Having a mid-coast hub might work well for them.

SY is doing lease to own on their jets. Not sure how many so far in the fleet. They want something like 55 737-800 in the next few years
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

SANFan

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:24 pm

lhpdx wrote:
My wishlist for Sun Country is a seasonal MSY, FLL, TPA, and ANC out of PDX............

Did you even bother to enjoy the news of what SY is adding at PDX before heading off into the future of what else you want to see? Cheee.... This has to be one of the largest adds at one time for PDX in a long time and all you have to say is "gimme more!"

Too bad PDX didn't get their BNA flight that most PDX-ers seem more bothered about not having than practically anything else domestically.

Seems that SY is more about taking a run at AS out of PDX -- all these routes except PSP are pretty well served by AAG already -- rather than trying to fill some gaps in the service offered to and from PDX. And I don't feel AS will really give a fig about what the likes of SY or F9 do from PDX in any case.

Judging by the results of service attempts at PDX by other LCCs such as F9 and NK, and the fact that G4 hasn't even chosen to land there, it will be interesting to see what kind of success Sun Country has. I personally am not too optimistic.

bb

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 pm

SANFan wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Did you even bother to enjoy the news of what SY is adding at PDX before heading off into the future of what else you want to see? Cheee.... This has to be one of the largest adds at one time for PDX in a long time and all you have to say is "gimme more!"

Too bad PDX didn't get their BNA flight that most PDX-ers seem more bothered about not having than practically anything else domestically.

Seems that SY is more about taking a run at AS out of PDX -- all these routes except PSP are pretty well served by AAG already -- rather than trying to fill some gaps in the service offered to and from PDX. And I don't feel AS will really give a fig about what the likes of SY or F9 do from PDX in any case.

Judging by the results of service attempts at PDX by other LCCs such as F9 and NK, and the fact that G4 hasn't even chosen to land there, it will be interesting to see what kind of success Sun Country has. I personally am not too optimistic.

bb

Isn't the new head of SY network planning from AS, I'm pretty sure he knows a lot about the demand in and out of PDX and what will and won't work....
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

jbpdx

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:00 pm

I think Sun Country will do fine at PDX and will probably add more.

South Florida and BNA are the two key unserved routes. JetBlue or American would benefit the most by adding FLL or MIA, respectively, because of their hubs. Sun Country might push them to act. AA dropped SLC-MIA so that creates an opportunity for MIA.
Next: AS PDX-MCI-PDX

cbphoto

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Why?

Where did you ever get the notion Allegiant failed at Hawaii? Allegiant was making a killing off of LAX and LAS, and LAX-HNL was far more profitable then they ever imagined. The only reason Allegiant doesn’t fly it anymore was simply due to fleet issues. It didn’t make sense for Allegiant to keep the subfleet of 757s strictly for one route, and the A320s in a high density configuration can’t make it to Hawaii without taking a huge payload hit.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that SY is doing well to HNL, after all, their CEO has plenty of experience in the HNL market.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

77H

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:21 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

So what does that make G4 and HA? HA still hasn't managed to operate LAX-KOA year around though literally everyone and their brother does and its their home market. I assume they will once more 321N's are on property but haven't been able to to date.

77H

MIflyer12

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Isn't the new head of SY network planning from AS, I'm pretty sure he knows a lot about the demand in and out of PDX and what will and won't work....

He doesn't have the carrier to provide the same level of resources. It's like saying a chief engineer at GM went to work at Tesla, so he knows how to whip Tesla manufacturing into shape.

WkndWanderer

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:44 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

Why?

Don't forget the possible impact of HA down-gauging PDX-HNL to the A321 which they had previously operated with a widebody for years. AS hadn't added any more capacity to backfill that, SY may have sensed opportunity.

jbpdx

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

Why?

Don't forget the possible impact of HA down-gauging PDX-HNL to the A321 which they had previously operated with a widebody for years. AS hadn't added any more capacity to backfill that, SY may have sensed opportunity.

Alaska already added a second PDX-HNL on Tues, Thurs last month.
Next: AS PDX-MCI-PDX

FlyHappy

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:54 pm

cbphoto wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

Where did you ever get the notion Allegiant failed at Hawaii? Allegiant was making a killing off of LAX and LAS, and LAX-HNL was far more profitable then they ever imagined. The only reason Allegiant doesn’t fly it anymore was simply due to fleet issues. It didn’t make sense for Allegiant to keep the subfleet of 757s strictly for one route, and the A320s in a high density configuration can’t make it to Hawaii without taking a huge payload hit.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that SY is doing well to HNL, after all, their CEO has plenty of experience in the HNL market.

call it what you like, for most of the industry, "making a killing" means you stick around to reap the profits, and yet Allegiant didn't.
SY's apparent success to HNL can hardly be attributed to this new CEO. The HNL route was planned years in advance.

lhpdx

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:06 pm

SANFan wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

bb

I really don't see any harm in posting my wishlist, but apparently, it seems to bother you............

MSPNWA

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 am

Look like a nice lists of additions. PDX has been less tapped by ULCCs, and so they're mostly up against just AS. HNL is also a sneaky route with HA's downgauge. There's probably some meat on the bone there.

32andBelow

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 am

Turn that baby to anc after HNL a market ANC Owens alone all winter charging astronomical rates.

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

He doesn't have the carrier to provide the same level of resources. It's like saying a chief engineer at GM went to work at Tesla, so he knows how to whip Tesla manufacturing into shape.

No it is completely different, he probably knows the PDX and Pacific NW market like the back of his hand and he probably knows its strengths and weaknesses. He is probably focussing on PDX because he is aware of the market and knows there is an untapped demand for ULCC carriers, plus he knows AS is currently in a vulnerable position.
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

cbphoto

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:33 am

FlyHappy wrote:
cbphoto wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:

call it what you like, for most of the industry, "making a killing" means you stick around to reap the profits, and yet Allegiant didn't.
SY's apparent success to HNL can hardly be attributed to this new CEO. The HNL route was planned years in advance.

Pretty clear you didn’t read my post and it shows how little you know about this industry. You can’t stick to a route that requires a certain type of equipment to fly that route, if you don’t have the equipment to fly that route. Jude Bricker, the now CEO of Sun Country, was at Allegiant during Allegiant’s stint in HNL. He knew money could be made at LAX using the ULCC model and knew that G4s retirement of the 757, and subsequent exit meant there was an opening for SY. They had the right plane for it, G4 didn’t, it’s as simple as that. Allegiant actually delayed the retirement of the 757 because HNL was making so much money for them. But it’s alright man, I’m sure Jude knows way more about the HNL market then most armchair CEOs on this forum.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

FlyHappy

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:54 am

cbphoto wrote:

Pretty clear you didn’t read my post and it shows how little you know about this industry. You can’t stick to a route that requires a certain type of equipment to fly that route, if you don’t have the equipment to fly that route. Jude Bricker, the now CEO of Sun Country, was at Allegiant during Allegiant’s stint in HNL. He knew money could be made at LAX using the ULCC model and knew that G4s retirement of the 757, and subsequent exit meant there was an opening for SY. They had the right plane for it, G4 didn’t, it’s as simple as that. Allegiant actually delayed the retirement of the 757 because HNL was making so much money for them. But it’s alright man, I’m sure Jude knows way more about the HNL market then most armchair CEOs on this forum.

Yeah, and its pretty clear that you are a master of folding space-time, since SY HNL service was planned well before Jude Bricker arrived . But don't let that interfere with your opinion.

n7371f

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 am

SY business model at moment appears to find markets, like PDX, that Frontier and Spirit haven't touched. There's no reason to think F9 couldn't try the PDX runs, sans HNL, but the focus is elsewhere. Same with MSN.

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 am

SY is becoming more and more a better fit for WN.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SANFan

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:57 pm

n7371f wrote:
SY business model at moment appears to find markets, like PDX, that Frontier and Spirit haven't touched. There's no reason to think F9 couldn't try the PDX runs, sans HNL, but the focus is elsewhere. Same with MSN.

But F9 & NK have touched PDX, and not exactly flourished. They're still there with a flight or two. And Allegiant has not even been interested in trying PDX.

That tells me that PDX is not a very good market for LCCs/ULCCs. Good luck to SY in their efforts. Perhaps they will do very well...

bb

32andBelow

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

They don’t really offer anything though. AS or WN could just add 55 planes and all of SY routes at any time.

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 pm

32andBelow wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

They don’t really offer anything though. AS or WN could just add 55 planes and all of SY routes at any time.

Eliminates a competitor for one. And if SYs new strategy works out well for them, they would be a pretty good match for them.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mtnwest1979

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Be nice if SY would update their online route map. They must be so excited to expand that they don't show any of it on their map lol.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

stlgph

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Eliminates a competitor for one. And if SYs new strategy works out well for them, they would be a pretty good match for them.

In *WHAT* ways?!?!?

For one, have you even looked at this new strategy?

For two, have you even looked at their nonexistent list of assets?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

spinkid

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:43 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

ya... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheap. I note that SY looks to have dropped the attempts to connect MSP to HNL via LAX, and also shows no connection via PDX.
I guess thats proof positive that SY is selling locally in LA, and looks to do so in Portland.

I tried booking MSP-HNL for dates in December and PDX is the only connection available. LAX is not an option for a connection once the PDX flights begin.

Interestingly enough, PDX-MSP shows non stops as well as connections in PHX or PSP depending on the day of the week.

n7371f

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 am

The WN/SY rumors go back 18 years. I was working in MSP when SY unveiled its current livery (under LaMacchia) and news outlets ran stories the next day on whether a merger was in the works. If WN saw value in SY, it would've happened already. The more realistic response is if WN saw more in MSP, it would do it themselves.

FA9295
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:29 pm

It looks like almost my exact post on this forum (see post #4) when I listed the schedules for the 5 new routes was used almost verbatim here: http://www.theavgeek.net/2018/06/30/sun ... -portland/

The only thing that they changed was that they replaced "starts" with "begins" and they changed the start date format (dates were listed as "November XX, 2018" instead of "November XXth/st").

Kind of cool! :D

Italianflyer

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:27 pm

Are they basing crew in PDX or rotating MSP folks? Those are some loooong duty days for MSP crew. They may have to break with tradition and have downline layovers on the scheduled service side.

sunking737

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:53 pm

Pilots are limited to 8 hr duty day. F/A are not. I knew F/A who worked MSP-SJU-MSP flights. They can fly extra crew onboard too. They sit in back most folks don't even know
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

TW787

Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:58 pm

routeplanner wrote:

I know him. He is a great guy, and has formed a great planning team with individuals who have worked in planning at various airlines. Their route structure will be changing dramatically, and if they acquire more aircraft, watch for some really interesting underserved markets take shape.

You don't know him as well as I do or you wouldn't think he's a great guy. :duck:

727Man

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 am

FlyHappy wrote:
cbphoto wrote:

Yeah, and its pretty clear that you are a master of folding space-time, since SY HNL service was planned well before Jude Bricker arrived . But don't let that interfere with your opinion.

HNL was not planned before Jude's arrival. As a matter of fact, it was the exact opposite as everyone in the company kept inquiring about flying to HNL. The answer was a resounding "NO". When Jude arrived, he stated that "we could fill a 757 full in the summer months off the west coast at Allegiant" and so it was him that brought the HNL flying to SY. Unless you work in a department at Sunny that has more insider information, you are wrong.

Dreamflight767

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:48 am

Not that it's a hug significance but this must be a pain to AS. Do they have free resources to defend against this small battle with SY?

EA CO AS

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 am

TW787 wrote:
routeplanner wrote:

You don't know him as well as I do or you wouldn't think he's a great guy. :duck:

Ben's a good guy, but in fairness, he was definitely overshadowed by some strong talent reporting under him.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos