Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Is LEVEL replacing Vueling?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 pm

With the recent announcement of creating of LEVEL Austria doing short haul flights, and the poor reputation of Vueling I was wondering if IAG is considering or thinking of rebranding the entire Vueling company into LEVEL in the possible future?

Certainly compared to the Vueling, LEVEL is considered a much better airline with a better reputation.
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

dilettante

Re: LEVEL replacing Vueling

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Well it’s easier to pronounce than Vueling, so that’s a plus...

I doubt IAG will do much more with either brand before their Norwegian saga comes to a close. Then you have to wonder if they’d keep Norwegian on the short haul network or replace it all with LEVEL. I think the Austrian venture might be testing the ability to raise brand awareness.

Out of interest, did BA sell the Go brand when they sold it off? Shame if they did. It would have worked well on a larger low-cost operation

f4f3a

Re: Is LEVEL replacing Vueling?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Would have been owned by easyJet . Whether they resold the trademark I don’t know .

Thibault973

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:

Certainly compared to the Vueling, LEVEL is considered a much better airline with a better reputation.

You are comparing a brand new airline that operates 2 planes and a handful of flights out of BCN with a paneuropean low-cost with bases in 5 countries, 107 planes & over and hundreds of daily flights.

Here in Paris next to no one has ever heard of Level while vueling is probably as well known as Ryanair.

Galwayman

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

IAG are very strategic , possibly they choose the most suitable brand for the market they’re going after .... LEVEL might be very suitable for Vienna , even FR had to use a different brand for Vienna ... interesting to watch what happens next ...

a350lover

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Has Vueling suffered a lot of operational issues? Yes
Has LEVEL a better reputation as a recently-created airline? Yes
Does that mean that the second is better and good enough to replace the first one? I don't see that happening soon.

LGAviation

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:

You are comparing a brand new airline that operates 2 planes and a handful of flights out of BCN with a paneuropean low-cost with bases in 5 countries, 107 planes & over and hundreds of daily flights.

Here in Paris next to no one has ever heard of Level while vueling is probably as well known as Ryanair.

Haha across the border here in German-speaking Europe most people probably have never heard about Vueling so that's for the pan-European part but I guess it's always perception. Most Germans who are based elsewhere than MUC certainly have never heard of Transavia, while I would imagine that many French and Brits wouldn't perceive Eurowings as pan-European. But I agree with you in that it might be a waste to throw away the well-known Vueling brand (most publicity is better than no publicity). It would remind me a bit of the Germanwings/Eurowings transformation, although obviously way more dramatic than that. On the other end, I would probably be confused by two different LCCs operating from the same hubs (at least in BCN and soon PAR that will be the case) in the same segments.

And to add to that, I would argue that Germans probably don't have issues with pronouncing Vueling.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

rlwynn

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 pm

First of all a V in German is an F. So they would be pronouncing wrong right off the bat.
I can drive faster than you

JayBCNLON

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 pm

My German friends say “Fühling“ :) ....
after all a V is pronounced as an F and ue is a ü ....
but having said that Vueling it is a well established brand known for lowest cost and a very tight seat pitch. I also think their Website is too slow. But they must be doing something right as they have been growing fast, and they habe been growing in really difficult ecenomic circumstances .

JayBCNLON

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:48 pm

I could not think of a less inspiring and more generic brand name than Level. Anything I’d better than that .... even Vueling

winGl3t

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

rlwynn wrote:
First of all a V in German is an F. So they would be pronouncing wrong right off the bat.

Well that's an issue with both Level and Vueling

Sydscott

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Galwayman wrote:
IAG are very strategic , possibly they choose the most suitable brand for the market they’re going after .... LEVEL might be very suitable for Vienna , even FR had to use a different brand for Vienna ... interesting to watch what happens next ...

You'd assume that Level was deployed there because it makes it easier to launch single branded long haul flights later on from VIE.

Alphazone

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:26 pm

dilettante wrote:

That name "Vueling" is pronounced literally exactly as it's written.
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People

Galwayman

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 pm

Sydscott wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

You'd assume that Level was deployed there because it makes it easier to launch single branded long haul flights later on from VIE.

Yes agreed, I can see LEVEL long haul next at VIE next, BKK, CPT maybe

JayBCNLON

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Eurowings would be there first ... they already fly to BKK and CPT (while Level don’t )
Last edited by JayBCNLON on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayBCNLON

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Well actually in Level Germans pronounce the V as it is pronounced in English

LGAviation

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
Well actually in Level Germans pronounce the V as it is pronounced in English

Alphazone wrote:
dilettante wrote:

JayBCNLON wrote:
My German friends say “Fühling“ :) ....
after all a V is pronounced as an F and ue is a ü ....
but having said that Vueling it is a well established brand known for lowest cost and a very tight seat pitch. I also think their Website is too slow. But they must be doing something right as they have been growing fast, and they habe been growing in really difficult ecenomic circumstances .

I have no clue where your "German" friends picked up their German. There are two different pronunciations for the 'V' letter in German - the mentioned F-like pronunciation as in Volkswagenabgasskandal or the other one that resembles the V sound in Vueling that exists in Vase. As for the UE issue, I'm going to give you this one but it's certainly doable for Germans with a bit of practice and Germans are perfectly capable of replicating the sounds that make up Vueling. But back to my point, I don't see the name as being as big of an issue here as some anglophone members seem to think it is.

JayBCNLON wrote:
Eurowings would be there first ... they already fly to BKK and CPT (while Level don’t )

Currently, all VIE longhaul flights are still operated by OS but it will be interesting to see if LH eventually decides to start EW longhaul ex Vienna. The fact that OS is arguably the least premium brand among the LH Group premium brands will certainly also influence that decision.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

JayBCNLON

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Alphazone wrote:
dilettante wrote:

Well indeed in Spanish „exactly as it is written“ is indeed „voo el ing“

In English it s more „viewling“.

And in Getman „literally as is written“ it would be „Fühling“.

Qatara340

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:06 pm

I was confused for a second on why Level would want to start a new low-cost short-haul airline in Europe where they already have one. To me Level is an interesting name; the livery and branding is very bland tho, and Veuling is just too unappealing as a name; but its just my taste. They can however come up with one LCC and introduce a whole new marking campaign to promote it, better than forming new companies.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

FatCat

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm

From flying two planes to replace entirely a brand... this would be the perfect "Well, this escalated quickly" meme occasion
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

BrianDromey

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:44 pm

It’s a bit of a mess from a marketing and enthusiast point of view - but does the average Austrian care of the name that’s printed on the side of the plane, the ticket or the website? I’m not sure having LEVEL, sold by Vueling, operated by Anisec is brilliant marketing, but will someone who has purchased VIE-LGW for £24 on google flights change behaviour because of it?

LEVEL seems to be used by IAG as a kind of incubator and to send a signal to VY, BA, IB and EI that the IAG board want to see the ‘f***ing money’ before they will invest.
Last edited by BrianDromey on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LupineChemist

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:48 pm

I saw a Level branded 330 in Madrid today, any idea why it would be there?

CarbonFibre

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
I saw a Level branded 330 in Madrid today, any idea why it would be there?

EC-MYA delivered TLS - MAD on 25th June.

dilettante

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:30 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:

And in parts of Spain, including near their home base, it would be bwe-ling.

I'm sure LEVEL suffers from the same problem on some, eh, level, but I feel as if it has a stronger identity - though not one that's widely recognised yet. The LEVEL Austria move is interesting. It'll be interesting to see if we get another LEVEL + country when the next airline somewhere else in Europe goes under and IAG see an opportunity.

Aisak

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:47 pm

rlwynn wrote:

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Vodafone. Why should it be for Vueling or Level?

JayBCNLON wrote:
The LEVEL Austria move is interesting. It'll be interesting to see if we get another LEVEL + country when the next airline somewhere else in Europe goes under and IAG see an opportunity.

It's more than interesting. It can create such a mess for PAX. As it were easy with codeshares.... Don't even want to imagine the FF schemes or perks
4 passengers at BCN:
    1 for EZE: Flight with Level on an IB26xx flight operated by Iberia.... where to check in? Level counter? IB counter as it is the operator?
    1 for VIE: Flight with Level on an XX1234 flight operated by Vueling Austria.... where to check in? Level counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?
    1 for ORY: Flight with IB on an IB5000 flight operated by Vueling.... where to check in? IB counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?
    1 for ORY: Flight with Vueling on an VY1234 flight operated by Vueling.... where to check in? IB counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?

The "check-in with the airlne that operates the first leg of your trip" rule seems to be challenged here....

Also... Introduction of the Level brand at Gatwick... Interesting times ahead

MartijnNL

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:18 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
With the recent announcement of creating of LEVEL Austria doing short haul flights, and the poor reputation of Vueling I was wondering if IAG is considering or thinking of rebranding the entire Vueling company into LEVEL in the possible future?

What poor reputation? Vueling offers a lot of flights, from premium airports, for competitive fares. I have flown them from Barcelona to Amsterdam two times, nothing wrong with the service. And the flights were on time.

smallvoyageur wrote:

I thought Level operates only a few aircraft since a very short time. How can they already have a reputation?

goosebayguy

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 pm

I pronounce it 'Failing'

senatorflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:52 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
dilettante wrote:

The name Vueling is not even Spanish, it’s two words pieced together and pronounced differently as to what was suggested.

Even in Spanish it doesn’t make much sense, as I was under the impression the V is pronounced as a B in generally. Might be totally wrong though.

Jayafe

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
What poor reputation? Vueling offers a lot of flights, from premium airports, for competitive fares. I have flown them from Barcelona to Amsterdam two times, nothing wrong with the service. And the flights were on time.

Glad that they worked fine for you, but its international (and specially spanish) reputation is horrible. Just try to google "vueling chaos" "vueling Barcelona delay" "vueling capacity" "vueling rome" and you will have some fun reading. They were even close to get their AOC revoked.... in 2 different countries!

MartijnNL wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:

I thought Level operates only a few aircraft since a very short time. How can they already have a reputation?

They don't have one yet, apart from being known for low prices. Which is far much better than what people can say about Vueling.

Alphazone

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:34 pm

dilettante wrote:
JayBCNLON wrote:
Well indeed in Spanish

it would be bwe-ling.

That's what I'm talking about.
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

Alphazone

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:35 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
JayBCNLON wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

The name Vueling is not even Spanish, it’s two words pieced together and pronounced differently as to what was suggested.

Even in Spanish it doesn’t make much sense, as I was under the impression the V is pronounced as a B in generally. Might be totally wrong though.

It is actually, it comes from Spanish "volar" to fly and English suffix -ing
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

jasoncrh

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:25 pm

Regarding check in at BCN, when you enter the terminal on the departure level there are gigantic screens all over the place that list, by flight, which counter to check in at. As long as one looks at that, there is no issue.

quote="Aisak"]
rlwynn wrote:

Doesn't seem to be a problem for Vodafone. Why should it be for Vueling or Level?

JayBCNLON wrote:
The LEVEL Austria move is interesting. It'll be interesting to see if we get another LEVEL + country when the next airline somewhere else in Europe goes under and IAG see an opportunity.

It's more than interesting. It can create such a mess for PAX. As it were easy with codeshares.... Don't even want to imagine the FF schemes or perks
4 passengers at BCN:
    1 for EZE: Flight with Level on an IB26xx flight operated by Iberia.... where to check in? Level counter? IB counter as it is the operator?
    1 for VIE: Flight with Level on an XX1234 flight operated by Vueling Austria.... where to check in? Level counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?
    1 for ORY: Flight with IB on an IB5000 flight operated by Vueling.... where to check in? IB counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?
    1 for ORY: Flight with Vueling on an VY1234 flight operated by Vueling.... where to check in? IB counter? Vueling counter as it is the operator?

The "check-in with the airlne that operates the first leg of your trip" rule seems to be challenged here....

Also... Introduction of the Level brand at Gatwick... Interesting times ahead[/quote]

JerseyFlyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:41 pm

At LGW vueling is pronounced "welling"

senatorflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Alphazone wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
JayBCNLON wrote:

Vuelo not volar

senatorflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:38 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:

Vuelo not volar

So technically the name should be pronounced bueling. And that’s where the problem starts, Level is clearly an English word and everyone can pronounce it. Vueling on the other hand...

dfdubflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:

Vuelo not volar

Volar is the uncognated verb and vuelo is the first person present tense of that verb.

I don’t understand why people find Vueling hard... it’s phonetic.

Jayafe

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
...Level is clearly an English word and everyone can pronounce it. Vueling on the other hand...

Everyone can pronounce English? Since when?

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 am

Jayafe wrote:
Glad that they worked fine for you, but its international (and specially spanish) reputation is horrible. Just try to google "vueling chaos" "vueling Barcelona delay" "vueling capacity" "vueling rome" and you will have some fun reading. They were even close to get their AOC revoked.... in 2 different countries!

I see. That's not good. But Vueling must have done something right as well. I remember my first aircraft spotting trip to Barcelona in 2007. Iberia was by far the biggest airline at the airport. Fast foward ten years when in a few hours I logged over fifty Vueling aircraft and only two from Iberia. The operation at Barcelone sure has changed over time. But not for the better it seems.

JerseyFlyer

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Back on topic, Simon Calder thinks IAG will combine Vueling and Level:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 23516.html

When Level started, I recall Walsh explaining that it would be separate from Vueling so as not to dilute Vueling's focus on Intra-European LCC flying. Has something changed?

axiom

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:29 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

Vuelo not volar

Volar is the uncognated verb and vuelo is the first person present tense of that verb.

I don’t understand why people find Vueling hard... it’s phonetic.

It's only difficult if you're incredibly ethnocentric and know very little about the language you are critiquing, like one poster in this thread.

LupineChemist

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:05 pm

I will say that even within Spain, Vueling has a pretty poor reputation. Last summer it was on the news broadcasts all the time for their operational issues.

I would think IAG would be better off getting a hold of Norwegian and tying up everything into that brand, which is seen pretty positively and already does quite a bit of domestic Spanish flying as well on top of being well known throughout Europe.

dilettante

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:58 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
I would think IAG would be better off getting a hold of Norwegian and tying up everything into that brand, which is seen pretty positively and already does quite a bit of domestic Spanish flying as well on top of being well known throughout Europe.

That seems like a good bet. My hunch is still that the combined group would operate under the Level brand. Norwegian could be somewhat tainted if it's a messy collapse, but that's pure speculation.

Together, DY+VY=LV would have an eventual fleet that's comparable - maybe even bigger - than easyJet. A big marketing push with a new-ish brand might give IAG the awareness needed to be seen by the public as a viable competitor to FR and U2.

IAG might want to swap Alaska Airlines their A320neo production slots for some of Norwegian 737 orders, but then a mixed fleet gives them even more leverage over both OEMs.

redhair

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:15 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
I will say that even within Spain, Vueling has a pretty poor reputation. Last summer it was on the news broadcasts all the time for their operational issues.

That was back in 2016. In 2017 they had the best OTP among European LCCs.

Mini1000

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:40 pm

redhair wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

That was back in 2016. In 2017 they had the best OTP among European LCCs.

Yeah, that wasn't front-page news.

Apprentice

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Hello: Will Level start: BCN /MIA /BCN?

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

Apprentice

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 pm

(Sorry) Bcn FLL BCN
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

a350lover

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 pm

There were some rumours last year, when they dropped PUJ
With the route on the hands of AA 1x daily, I don't see that happening soon.
Probably LIM or BOG if they are looking at South America.
Tokio should occur at some point too.

a350lover

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 am

Walsh confirmed earlier today in Paris that BCN will get its 4th A330-200 in 2019, so it all looks like IAG is taking some distance from Norwegian and any possible acquisition. Instead, IAG seems to be very interested in make LEVEL shine both short and long haul. We'll see how it all goes, cause as everything in aviation, it all can change in a matter of seconds.

New routes can be expected with this 4th airplane. Likely EZE to remain strong with 9x weekly (just in case Norwegian dares to enter), and maybe its time for Narita from Barcelona, or MEX? EK and Aeromexico seem not interested in the route anymore?

Kikko19

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:03 pm

a350lover wrote:
Walsh confirmed earlier today in Paris that BCN will get its 4th A330-200 in 2019, so it all looks like IAG is taking some distance from Norwegian and any possible acquisition. Instead, IAG seems to be very interested in make LEVEL shine both short and long haul. We'll see how it all goes, cause as everything in aviation, it all can change in a matter of seconds.

New routes can be expected with this 4th airplane. Likely EZE to remain strong with 9x weekly (just in case Norwegian dares to enter), and maybe its time for Narita from Barcelona, or MEX? EK and Aeromexico seem not interested in the route anymore?

so iag will sell their stake in norwegian? or will wait ?

seahawk

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
dilettante wrote:

No, Fühling would sound like Frühling and everybody would now that this is wrong. So it would be more pronounced like "Vase" aka the V like W. So it is Wüling. (which imho is the more common solution if you compare it to the word "wühlen")

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos