lightmac
Topic Author

Which European airlines do not connect their capitals to the European Capital Brussels?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:18 am

If you look at which of the 27-EU main airlines do not connect their capitals to the main European Capital, Brussels, the result is:

Paris, Budapest and Vilnius are only connected to Brussels by SN, but not by the leading national carrier. In the case of Berlin, only SN and Ryanair serve the city-pair but not Lufthansa/Eurowings.
In the cases of the Netherlands and Cyprus, the capital cities do not have an airport, but are served from nearby airports (Amsterdam and Larnaca). In the case of Cyprus only by Ryanair.
Luxemburg is not connected to Brussels by air, because it is too close.
Bratislava is not connected to Brussels at all. People use Vienna.
The other 20 capitals are connected tom Brussels by their main carriers.

[email protected]

Re: Which European airlines do not connect their capitals to the European Capital Brussels?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:44 am

Ryanair serves CRL from BTS.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

leghorn

Re: Which European airlines do not connect their capitals to the European Capital Brussels?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 am

Are you trying to provoke people? Brussels is not "the main capital of Europe".

[email protected]

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 am

He mentioned LUX in his opening post.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:01 am

lightmac wrote:
In the cases of the Netherlands and Cyprus, the capital cities do not have an airport, but are served from nearby airports (Amsterdam and Larnaca).

Perhaps it slipped your mind, but Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands. The government may be seated in The Hague, but that doesn't make it the capital.

Another country not connected to Brussels by air is Luxembourg. Of course Luxembourg is only a very short distance away from Brussels, so flying doesn't make much sense. Better drive or take the train. That goes for the Netherlands as well, the KLM flight to Brussels is only for connecting traffic. Regular passengers between the Netherlands and Belgium drive or take the train.

SQ22

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:02 am

One year ago it was announced to switch some flights of TXL-BRU from SN to EW, I do not know the reason why all flights are SN again, but I guess it is because EW is short of planes. Anyway it does not make any sense for SN and EW to compete on that route.

https://www.aero.de/news-27188/Eurowing ... lines.html

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:03 am

leghorn wrote:

It is where the European government is seated. Furthermore it doesn't mean much, it doesn't have any special status or something like that. The role of Brussels as being the capital of Belgium is bigger than it's role of being the capital of the EU.

Eindhoven

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am

Not in the EU but in Europe, BRN is not connected to BRU.

leghorn

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
leghorn wrote:

It is where the European government is seated. Furthermore it doesn't mean much, it doesn't have any special status or something like that. The role of Brussels as being the capital of Belgium is bigger than it's role of being the capital of the EU.

There is no European Government. There is something called the E.U. which does not contain all European Countries. Also Luxembourg and Strasbourg are also the main cities of importance with regard to the administration of the E.U.

SCQ83

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:11 am

Brussels-Larnaca is a PSO service. That is the reason Ryanair serves it and it is their only route out of LCA, instead of PFO.

Also flights from Strasbourg to Amsterdam (AF), Madrid (YW) and Prague (OK) are PSO; routes also related to Strasbourg as an European capital.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:43 am

lightmac wrote:
Paris......are only connected to Brussels by SN, but not by the leading national carrier.

But Air France does serve Brussels. 5 to 6 times daily on the TGV. Likewise, KLM sells tickets on the Thalys for the Brussels-Amsterdam route.

Brussels is in the middle of everything, and is pretty well connected by high speed trains. It's just a few hours to the UK with Eurostar, Thalys runs to Amsterdam, Köln and Paris, and Deutsche Bahn has a ton of services too. Thats one reason why so many airlines with dropped out of the market.

smallvoyageur

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:44 am

leghorn wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
leghorn wrote:

There is no European Government. There is something called the E.U. which does not contain all European Countries. Also Luxembourg and Strasbourg are also the main cities of importance with regard to the administration of the E.U.

(Rant)
Brussels is the principal European city, as the European Commission, European Council, the Directorate-Generals (pseudo-ministries) and second seat of the European Parliament is based there. Plus add the second largest group of lobbying organisations, Brussels' version of K Street and NATO headquarters, it is a major centre of global politics.

Yes, I understand that Strasbourg is the principal seat of the parliament, plus it the centre of the Council of Europe and the administration of the parliament is in Luxembourg but when lobbyists want to speak to MEPs, they chin-wag in the Place de Luxembourg not Avenue R. Schumann.

Ironically the fact the parliament has two seats, means that flights between Brussels and Strasbourg are a major air-route.

(/Rant)

leghorn

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:09 am

Please refrain from mixing up Europe with EU; they are not the same thing and never will be.
Brussels is a Nothing City to me with no compelling reason to visit.
All roads do not lead to Brussels.

Arion640

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:25 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Brussels-Larnaca is a PSO service. That is the reason Ryanair serves it and it is their only route out of LCA, instead of PFO.

Also flights from Strasbourg to Amsterdam (AF), Madrid (YW) and Prague (OK) are PSO; routes also related to Strasbourg as an European capital.

Why is that a PSO route? For the EU employees to get away on holiday quicker?

It's not like the scottish islands where PSO routes are needed for vital freight and people movements....
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

HHScot

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:28 am

Arion640 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

It's not like the scottish islands where PSO routes are needed for vital freight and people movements....

Probably so that government officials can have a direct flight to Brussels without a time consuming transfer in Frankfurt, Paris or somewhere else. I'd say it's got little to do with people from Brussels going to Cyprus!

Jetter330

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:30 am

Soon there will be no more real Belgian airline connecting BRU to other European capitals. SN short haul will more then likely become EW.

SCQ83

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am

HHScot wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Probably so that government officials can have a direct flight to Brussels without a time consuming transfer in Frankfurt, Paris or somewhere else. I'd say it's got little to do with people from Brussels going to Cyprus!

I guess the logic behind is that Cyprus is an ultra-peripheric EU region and Nicosia the furtherest away capital from Brussels. So the idea would be that at least they should get the quickest possible connection between Nicosia and Brussels and that is LCA-BRU. And that needs to be year round, not only during high summer season.

Also Ryanair started this route a few years ago at the time of the Cypriot crisis, with no Cobalt and Cyprus Airways gone. Today with more tourism in Cyprus this route might be self sustainable and could be flown by a Cypriot carrier. Brussels Airlines and TUI fly seasonal BRU-PFO, so there is holiday demand.

lightmac
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Out of the three capitals of the EU, Brussels clearly is the main one and that is what this post is about.

shamrock350

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:13 pm

lightmac wrote:
Paris, Budapest and Vilnius are only connected to Brussels by SN, but not by the leading national carrier.

Well in the case of Budapest and Vilnius, there is no leading national carrier in either country. Lithuania's original national airline, FlyLAL is long dead and the most recent version of a national airline, Air Lituanica, did serve Brussels but the airline itself didn't last long. AirBaltic is probably the closest Lithuania will ever get to a national carrier but it will always be a Latvian airline. As for Budapest, we all know what happened to Malev so the closest thing they have is Wizz Air which serves Brussels CRL instead.

konkret

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:18 pm

I understand the importance of LCA-BRU for Cyprus but why is Strasbourg - Prague a PSO route? There are some EU institutions in Strasbourg but only like 3 other EU capitals are connected to SXB year round, so why Prague?

tomcat

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:23 pm

leghorn wrote:
Please refrain from mixing up Europe with EU; they are not the same thing and never will be.

FYI, in French, most of the time we refer to EU as "Europe". Depending on the context of the discussion, everybody understands that we actually mean EU. It indeed happened several times when discussing in English with other European people about EU, that they we confused when I was using "Europe" instead "EU". Conversely, it was obvious to me that this thread was about EU even though it's nowhere mentioned.

airbazar

Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:58 pm

tomcat wrote:
leghorn wrote:

FYI, in French, most of the time we refer to EU as "Europe".

And that boys and girls is why the World despises the french just as much as they despise Americans who call their country America.
Europe is a continent and it's much larger than the EU.

leghorn

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 pm

@Tomcat; You have been around enough to know that some(but not all of any particular) nationalities who post here are largely ignorant of the difference between the trade block and the Continent and are falling prey to the propaganda of vested interests outside of this forum.
If they read the opening post of this thread they would register in their brain that a place called Brussels is the capital of Europe without even knowing what country Brussels is (currently) in.

devron

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Can I also say I don't consider the EU = Europe and I also don't consider Brussel the EU capital.I say that being a part time lobbist flying into brussel on a bi-weekely basis. And yes Amsterdam is the capital of my home country.

afgeneral

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 pm

airbazar wrote:
tomcat wrote:
leghorn wrote:

And that boys and girls is why the World despises the french just as much as they despise Americans who call their country America.

Nah it's just EU haters looking for petty reasons to hate the EU and its members even more. Whenever somebody mentions "Europe" it's perfectly acceptable to assume they are in fact talking about the EU (the EEA actually) unless there are obvious hints that they may be talking about one of the non-EU states in Europe.

airbazar

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:33 pm

afgeneral wrote:
airbazar wrote:
tomcat wrote:

Nah it's just EU haters looking for petty reasons to hate the EU and its members even more. Whenever somebody mentions "Europe" it's perfectly acceptable to assume they are in fact talking about the EU (the EEA actually) unless there are obvious hints that they may be talking about one of the non-EU states in Europe.

No it is not and I am from an EU country. Europe does not equal EU. Never has and never will unless you are so self centered that you think the world revolves around you.
Europe= 50 sovereign states, 741 million pop.
EU = 28 sovereign states, 511 million pop.
It's not even close to being the same.

tomcat

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 pm

leghorn wrote:
@Tomcat; You have been around enough to know that some(but not all of any particular) nationalities who post here are largely ignorant of the difference between the trade block and the Continent and are falling prey to the propaganda of vested interests outside of this forum.
If they read the opening post of this thread they would register in their brain that a place called Brussels is the capital of Europe without even knowing what country Brussels is (currently) in.

That's why I thought that it was interesting to explain some language habits which have nothing to do with propaganda. I didn't know that the World would despise me because of the way I speak (while I'm not ignorant of geography). Here are some other French language habits, just in case: we most of the time use "England" and "English people" when we actually mean "the UK" and "British". We also more or less equally use "Holland" and "The Netherlands" (les Pays-Bas) to refer to "The Netherlands". Old enough French-speaking Brusselian people still also refer to the EU institutions in Brussels as "the Communities". This term was coined at the time of the EEC (European Economic Community) and I'm actually certain where the plural form comes from. I think that it's just an improper term that made its way into the local language.

To go back to the topic, or sort of, let's note that among the EU member countries, Brussels Airlines doesn't fly to the following capital cities: Bratislava, Dublin, Luxembourg City, Larnaca and Sofia, while it does fly to some touristic destinations in Bulgaria and Cyprus.

Cunard

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
tomcat wrote:
leghorn wrote:

Absolutely spot on and the same applies to your other posts :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

alancostello

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 pm

The train from Paris to Brussels takes 81 minutes, and that brings you directly to Brussels central from Paris Gare du Nord unlike the respective airports which are outside each city, why would you bother flying when even arriving only an hour before takeoff the train would still get you there quicker. Amsterdam is essentially same, at less than two hours for the Thalys.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:12 pm

afgeneral wrote:
Whenever somebody mentions "Europe" it's perfectly acceptable to assume they are in fact talking about the EU

No its NOT acceptable. It's rude and arrogant for reasons explained already by airbazar.

tomcat

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:34 pm

airbazar wrote:
afgeneral wrote:
airbazar wrote:

No it is not and I am from an EU country. Europe does not equal EU. Never has and never will unless you are so self centered that you think the world revolves around you.

To be complete, let's add that Brussels does not equal EU (for those who don't know, "Brussels" is often used in the press to refer to the EU) and that there is no airport in Brussels. The so called Brussels airport is located in Zaventem. But you have probably missed the point that to many people (at least the French speaking ones, I don't know about the others), depending of the context, the same term will take different meanings.

Alphazone

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 pm

The posters airbazar, tomcat, and leghorn are correct.

Something maybe helpful to the original poster, SN begins service BRU-WRO 29 OCT 2018 according to Wikipedia.
Spirit of the Northwest People

c933103

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:26 am

YO do not connect Monaco to Brussels and Qantas do not connect Canberra to Brussels if you see them as Europe although not being member of EU
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China

Gemuser

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:15 am

airbazar wrote:
afgeneral wrote:
airbazar wrote:

What are the other 15, excluding Russia & Turkey as they are only have minor parts [by area] in Europe? The only ones I can think of are Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Belarus, Ukraine & Moldova. The first three may as well be as they are bound almost as tightly to the EU as actual members because of other treaties

Gemuser

sabenapilot

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:21 am

The other ones are the candidate EU memberstates of the former Yugoslavia and micronations of the caliber Andorra, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Monaco and the sovereign territory of The Vatican.... and soon (part of) the UK of course, with the knowledge the EU does not accept micronations since its represenrative structure and its collective decision making process really are not suitable for it: the EU has very comprehensive agreements with all of these enclaved micronations however which bind them in closely in one way or another, often several at the same time: trade, customs, finances, freedom of movement, currency...

SCQ83

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:05 am

Alphazone wrote:
The posters airbazar, tomcat, and leghorn are correct.

Something maybe helpful to the original poster, SN begins service BRU-WRO 29 OCT 2018 according to Wikipedia.

I find surprising this route. Also Air France launched last year CDG-WRO. Which is the market for Wroclaw?

WRO seems like a VFR route better served by FR/W6 out of CRL/BVA. Air France does not even serve Krakow (despite being a larger and more touristic market) and neither of them serve Gdansk, which is also a larger market than WRO.

Andy33

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am

Gemuser wrote:
What are the other 15, excluding Russia & Turkey as they are only have minor parts [by area] in Europe? The only ones I can think of are Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Belarus, Ukraine & Moldova. The first three may as well be as they are bound almost as tightly to the EU as actual members because of other treaties
Gemuser

Sweden is a full EU member and has been since 1991.
You could add Iceland, Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, North Macedonia, Albania and, more controversially, Kosovo as autonomous states that are not EU members but are wholly within Europe. Iceland is the one that is closely bound to the EU already, the others want to join. Then there are the micro-states as others have mentioned many of which have no airport so clearly won't have flights to Brussels. You might also consider the British Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, and the Isle of Man, which are not part of the UK and not in the EU, or Greenland. Then there's Gibraltar, but that has such an anomalous position that we could fill all this site's bandwidth discussing it. But all 6 of these have airports...

hynithuchi

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:13 am

Whatever the definition of Europe, the capital of Switzerland is Bern ( BRN ) and the are no direct flights between BRU and BRN.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am

Andy33 wrote:
Sweden is a full EU member and has been since 1991.
You could add Iceland, Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, North Macedonia, Albania and, more controversially, Kosovo as autonomous states that are not EU members but are wholly within Europe. Iceland is the one that is closely bound to the EU already, the others want to join. Then there are the micro-states as others have mentioned many of which have no airport so clearly won't have flights to Brussels. You might also consider the British Crown Dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, and the Isle of Man, which are not part of the UK and not in the EU, or Greenland. Then there's Gibraltar, but that has such an anomalous position that we could fill all this site's bandwidth discussing it. But all 6 of these have airports...

You forgot about the Faroe Islands which are an independant country within the kingdom of Denmark, however unlike Denmark the Faroe Islands are not in the EU. There is a commercial airport at the Faroe Islands, but there are no flights from there to Brussels. Surprisingly, the Faroe Islands are one of the few countries without flights to London either. In order to get from London to the Faroe Islands you have to transfer in Copenhagen, which is quite a detour. Same goes for Brussels, transfer in Copenhagen.

reidar76

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:04 am

On topic:
- I consider CDG and AMS as airports near Brussels. From CDG it is about 80 minutes on the airport train until you are downtown Brussels. There is a Air France/KLM lounge and check-in service at Brussels main train station. From LGW or LHR it is about 60 to 80 minutes to downtown London by train. From JFK or EWR it is about 60 to 80 minutes to Pennsylvania station or Grand Central Terminal.

Off topic:
"Europe" can be defined in several different ways. Usually, we will easily understand in which sense the word "Europe" is used, by looking at the context.

"Europe"

in Greek mythology: Europe is a lover of Zeus.

Europe is the national anthem of the Republic of Kosovo.

Europe is a Swedish hard rock band.

In geology: Europe is the westernmost peninsula of Eurasia (from the Urals to the Iberian Peninsula), including the Scandinavian Peninsula, and the surrounding islands like Britain, Ireland and Iceland and a few smaller islands in the Mediterranean sea.

In a continental sense, Europe refers to the mainland, excluding the islands surrounding it, the Scandinavian Peninsula, except Denmark, but including the Iberian Peninsula.

It in a politico-economic and cultural sense, Europe is the European Union, a European political supranational entity.

For example: Some people will consider the Canary Islands as a part of Europe, while others will say these islands are African. Both statements are true and false at the same time. It all depends on the definition of "Europe". The definition used can be derived from context. The Canary Islands are on the African tectonic plate, but is in a politico-economic and cultural sense very much a part of Europe. If you are flying from JFK to LPA you are traveling to Europe, and landing at an European airport. If you reading a book about the geological history of Europe, a history that traces back to the formation of the Baltic Shield and the Sarmatian craton, both around 2.25 billion years ago, then the landmass of LPA is definitively in Africa.

ME720

Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 am

Brussels is the capital of the EU
Home of the commission, parliament (plus Strasbourg), most EU agencies, the berlymont ..
The headquarters of the EU diplomacy And all countries with ties with the EU have their diplomatic missions to the EU in Brussles. Almost all summits take place in Brussels. Brussels is the capital of the EU.. no doubt about it.

Draken21fx

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
HHScot wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I guess the logic behind is that Cyprus is an ultra-peripheric EU region and Nicosia the furtherest away capital from Brussels. So the idea would be that at least they should get the quickest possible connection between Nicosia and Brussels and that is LCA-BRU. And that needs to be year round, not only during high summer season.

Also Ryanair started this route a few years ago at the time of the Cypriot crisis, with no Cobalt and Cyprus Airways gone. Today with more tourism in Cyprus this route might be self sustainable and could be flown by a Cypriot carrier. Brussels Airlines and TUI fly seasonal BRU-PFO, so there is holiday demand.

Well in theory Cyprus is the only EU country that cannot connect its capital with Brussels, as the airport is in this state

Main issue with Cyprus is that it is quite far from central Europe and it is a market of 1m people only. The Cyprus - Central Europe sector return can take a good 8h-9h.

spinotter

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 pm

lightmac wrote:
If you look at which of the 27-EU main airlines do not connect their capitals to the main European Capital, Brussels, the result is:

Paris, Budapest and Vilnius are only connected to Brussels by SN, but not by the leading national carrier. In the case of Berlin, only SN and Ryanair serve the city-pair but not Lufthansa/Eurowings.
In the cases of the Netherlands and Cyprus, the capital cities do not have an airport, but are served from nearby airports (Amsterdam and Larnaca). In the case of Cyprus only by Ryanair.
Luxemburg is not connected to Brussels by air, because it is too close.
Bratislava is not connected to Brussels at all. People use Vienna.
The other 20 capitals are connected tom Brussels by their main carriers.

Amsterdam IS the capital city of the Netherlands. "According to the Dutch constitution, Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, although the parliament and the Dutch government have been situated in The Hague since 1588, along with the Supreme Court and the Council of State."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_o ... etherlands

Alphazone

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:11 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Also Air France launched last year CDG-WRO.

Yeah it is HOP! Embraer service.

SCQ83 wrote:
WRO seems like a VFR route better served by FR/W6 out of CRL/BVA.

That would be terrible if it was the only option, and there is already WRO-BVA. There are some multinationals in Wrocław e.g. Bombardier has a plant there.

SCQ83 wrote:
Air France does not even serve Krakow

There was service in the past for sure, I recall reading in the AF inflight magazine which was distributed at KRK airport on 5 March 2016 an announcement of new CDG-KRK service.
Spirit of the Northwest People

Galwayman

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:13 pm

There are 27 European capitals ...not just one

atcsundevil

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Please stick to the topic. This is an aviation forum — political discussion should take place in the Non Aviation Forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:26 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Air France does not even serve Krakow

But their partner airline KLM does. Seems like Air France and KLM have the southern Polish market nicely divided between them. You can book Air France to Krakow, however it's operated by KLM with a transfer in Amsterdam. On the other hand you can book KLM to Wroclaw, but it's operated by Air France with a transfer in Paris.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos