Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gwrudolph
Topic Author

What's going on with N345AN?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with N345AN, the B767-323 that had the uncontained engine failure at ORD? She's been sitting over there on the field at ORD with a green tarp over her mid-section for a long time. The incident, as I recollect, was October 2016. Soon it will be two years. As the NTSB investigation and report are complete, I would have thought the dismantling process would have started by now.

FA9295

Re: What's going on with N345AN?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that N345AN is done for, sadly. If the aircraft could have be repaired, they would have done that a long time ago. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. It's weird that the aircraft still at ORD. I would have figured that they would have shipped/flown it off to the boneyard by now...

Dutchy

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Write off apparently. Understandable: the age of the plane the damage to the fuselage and the damage to the wing and the damage to the engine.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20161028-2
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

gwrudolph
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:33 pm

FA9295 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that N345AN is done for, sadly. If the aircraft could have be repaired, they would have done that a long time ago. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. It's weird that the aircraft still at ORD. I would have figured that they would have shipped/flown it off to the boneyard by now...

I would have figured so as well. That’s why I’m wondering why nothing seems to be going on. I thought maybe someone was harvesting parts before the dismantling begins, but I don’t even see activity over by it

Obviously it will need to be dismantled at ORD because the wing burnt off of it so she ain’t flying again

ordpark

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:05 am

I believe CFD is using it as a trainer

crownvic

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 am

Fits the same situation as the USAir A320 at PHL that had an accident several years ago. It got wrapped in a blue "body bag" after the accident and although it has moved to the east end of the field, not much has happened since.

Dutchy

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am

crownvic wrote:
Fits the same situation as the USAir A320 at PHL that had an accident several years ago. It got wrapped in a blue "body bag" after the accident and although it has moved to the east end of the field, not much has happened since.

Isn't that expensive, I guess some kind of fee needs to be paid and PHL isn't that cheap since it is a major airport.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

gwrudolph
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm

ordpark wrote:
I believe CFD is using it as a trainer

Oh, so it may be a permanant fixture at ORD then.

garf25

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Did anyone seriously think it would fly again?
It needs a new wing, engine and the entire rear fuselage......

NYPECO

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:39 pm

When airlines let damaged planes sit on a ramp for years, do they have any real plan for the aircraft or do they just forget about it?

737900ER

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 pm

NYPECO wrote:
When airlines let damaged planes sit on a ramp for years, do they have any real plan for the aircraft or do they just forget about it?

Is aircraft insurance like car insurance, where the insurer has paid AA the value of the plane and now they own it?

Channex757

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Scrapping at an airport like ORD is tough. A properly experienced and licenced salvage company has to come in, deal with the aircraft and all its contaminants, then leave the field totally clean of every last flake of paint. It's a massive job and assuming a dismantler can be found to do the job, can often cost more than it's worth as the salvage value is pretty low. If the engines are gone then where is the money?

That's why these planes get donated as fire trainers or even cabin trainers.

Planesmart

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Covering a damaged aircraft is usually a requirement of the owner and airport, as neither are good for business.

While the bulk of the insurance claim has probably been paid, there may be ongoing discussions on costs related to it's final move, the value of parts the airline is keen to acquire, and the equivalent of an End of Lease (in this case End of Life) balloon payment, which could be in either direction.

crownvic

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:55 am

Channex757 wrote:
Scrapping at an airport like ORD is tough. A properly experienced and licenced salvage company has to come in, deal with the aircraft and all its contaminants, then leave the field totally clean of every last flake of paint. It's a massive job and assuming a dismantler can be found to do the job, can often cost more than it's worth as the salvage value is pretty low. If the engines are gone then where is the money?

That's why these planes get donated as fire trainers or even cabin trainers.

I think most of us get that, but you would think that there are insurance provisions in place to handle such a chore. We have an ex-US A320 sitting at PHL near an FBO ramp relatively intact since March of 2014 (over 4 years ago) and now we have an ex-AA 763 following similar footsteps. This sort of thing is common in third world countries where an aircraft that had an accident will sit around indefinitely, maybe get inhabited by local people or the government will tow it to a local park, but in the U.S., one would think these grounded aircraft would become a liability at an operational airport? Somebody must own these aircraft and one would think that some sort of insurance would still have to be maintained on them.

Looking into both aircraft. the 763 is still currently registered with AA (according to the FAA registry) and even more strange, the A320 is not only still registered to AA, but was renewed in December of 2015 (nearly two years after the accident) and is not due to expire until the end of this year. This leads me to believe that AA still owns both aircraft and is maintaining insurance on them. Last I checked, the A320 still had engines on it, so something is obviously holding up any salvaging of this airframe, that should have decent scrap value. Even the tarp was 50% gone, that once completely covered it.

Channex757

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

crownvic wrote:

I think most of us get that, but you would think that there are insurance provisions in place to handle such a chore. We have an ex-US A320 sitting at PHL near an FBO ramp relatively intact since March of 2014 (over 4 years ago) and now we have an ex-AA 763 following similar footsteps. This sort of thing is common in third world countries where an aircraft that had an accident will sit around indefinitely, maybe get inhabited by local people or the government will tow it to a local park, but in the U.S., one would think these grounded aircraft would become a liability at an operational airport? Somebody must own these aircraft and one would think that some sort of insurance would still have to be maintained on them.

Maybe the airlines like the liability! It could be a process of retaining the asset for tax purposes rather than biting on a loss. There is also a possibility (gasp!) that the airline has not claimed for a full hull loss; choosing instead to let them run down to the point in the near future where they can be safely and efficiently written off the books. No harm to their insurance rates that way.

Accountants are a strange and wonderful thing.....

My point about dismantlers was also that there aren't many out there prepared to make home visits, you either go to them or that's it. The ones that do will be hugely expensive as well.

trnswrld

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Channex757 wrote:
maybe get inhabited by local people or the government will tow it to a local park

That would be awesome. I can see it now, some burnt out 767 parked downtown at Maggie Daley park for the kids to play on.....and homeless people to live in ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos