ADL reports 16th consecutive month of growth

https://blueswandaily.com/adelaide-airp ... -jun-2018/
Forum Moderator

NTLDaz

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:11 am

eta unknown wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Newcastle Airport announcing special media announcement tomorrow at 230pm, apparently its a big deal according to the airport

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/1 ... 8075744256

Well, after the Fly Pelican ADL media storm a few months ago, what's next? Avalon?

As a proud Novocastrian I hope it's exciting but doubt it after the ADL debacle. Not that having an ADL flight is a bad thing.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 am

Jetstar has sacked 4 flight attendants after they tried smuggling tobacco on a DPS-MEL flight last month

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaki ... 0c7108b267
Forum Moderator

smi0006

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:42 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Newcastle media announcement tomorrow will include Virgin Australia.

There was mention in the NZ thread of VA increasing flights to NZ above what has already been announced- I can’t foresee anymore capacity on existing markets.

Super long shot - but could this be for VA, or TT to beat NZ to the punch for more regional AU Tasman flying? Use an AKL based aircraft.

If so I could see NZ move swiftly to HBA or CBR (should CBR they lower their charges ) to get in before VA, those markets couldn’t support more than one carrier, if any. Also rumours of NZ making CNS/MCY year round.

danny999

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 am

eta unknown wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Newcastle Airport announcing special media announcement tomorrow at 230pm, apparently its a big deal according to the airport

Well, after the Fly Pelican ADL media storm a few months ago, what's next? Avalon?

I think you will all be far more impressed than the ADL announcement. Air Asia X confirming Newcastle tomorrow. They were spotted by numerous sources doing a photo shoot two weeks ago in Newcastle and Port Stephens.

mpj

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:44 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

I remember reading a rumour on another forum that VA were close to announcing a new International Destination, could this be it?
Last edited by mpj on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

CraigAnderson

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:45 am

NTLDaz

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am

danny999 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I think you will all be far more impressed than the ADL announcement. Air Asia X confirming Newcastle tomorrow. They were spotted by numerous sources doing a photo shoot two weeks ago in Newcastle and Port Stephens.

A few years ago AAX were talking NTL. Will be interesting. I think it could work.

smi0006

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

There was mention in the NZ thread of VA increasing flights to NZ above what has already been announced- I can’t foresee anymore capacity on existing markets.

Super long shot - but could this be for VA, or TT to beat NZ to the punch for more regional AU Tasman flying? Use an AKL based aircraft.

If so I could see NZ move swiftly to HBA or CBR (should CBR they lower their charges ) to get in before VA, those markets couldn’t support more than one carrier, if any. Also rumours of NZ making CNS/MCY year round.

What, Virgin Australia announcing Newcastle-Auckland? Seems like a long shot! Maybe Virgin Australia is going to try and capitalise on pilot shortage by announcing a JV with Newcastle to support a pilot training academy? Good for Virgin Australia and the aviation industry, good for Newcastle and the region, capitalises on media interest in QF academy.

Lol- as I said super long shot!!

Wouldn’t NTL be too busy with RAAF movements, and commercials? Why not a smaller cheaper regional port? However a far better suggestion than mine of NTL-AKL.

CraigAnderson

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:09 am

smi0006 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

What, Virgin Australia announcing Newcastle-Auckland? Seems like a long shot! Maybe Virgin Australia is going to try and capitalise on pilot shortage by announcing a JV with Newcastle to support a pilot training academy? Good for Virgin Australia and the aviation industry, good for Newcastle and the region, capitalises on media interest in QF academy.

log0008

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:25 am

VA already run there cadetship though Flight Training Adelaide so doubt it

IndianicWorld

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:30 am

Interesting that ADL seems to be performing stronger than PER for CZ.

Good news for ADL.

qf789 wrote:
VA says both VA and TT are committed to SWZ and will fly there from Day 1

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/ ... 4847333376

Given the amount of time until it opens, who’s knows what VA will look like by then.

Good to be optimistic on their part though :)

CraigAnderson

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

For what it's worth, attending the Newcastle media event on behalf of Virgin Australia will be Russell Shaw, 'General Manager Network and Revenue Management, Virgin Australia.'

wiggy

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 am

there should 789 domestic flights from MEL to ADEL

IndianicWorld

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
For what it's worth, attending the Newcastle media event on behalf of Virgin Australia will be Russell Shaw, 'General Manager Network and Revenue Management, Virgin Australia.'

Will be interesting to see what it is.

Branching out onto an AKL route would be a bold move, but it may take some of that thinking to find a stronger position in the market.

Thinking of other options, maybe a PER service? Who knows.

waoz1

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:39 am

IndianicWorld wrote:

Good news for ADL.

qf789 wrote:

Given the amount of time until it opens, who’s knows what VA will look like by then.

Adelaide has a lot less services than Perth
So most in Perth hop on other carriers CZ i wouldnt of been first choice for outbound passengers

IndianicWorld

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am

waoz1 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

Good news for ADL.

qf789 wrote:

So most in Perth hop on other carriers CZ i wouldnt of been first choice for outbound passengers

ADL is a much smaller city that was far later to the China market than PER. It’s an interesting comparison to look at.

ADL still has a competitive offering of flights that CZ are up against, including SQ, MH and CX, along with being closer to the major East Coast hubs.

It just appears that CZ has found a stronger market position overall at this point than it has in PER.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

Good news for ADL.

ADL is a much smaller city that was far later to the China market than PER. It’s an interesting comparison to look at.

ADL still has a competitive offering of flights that CZ are up against, including SQ, MH and CX, along with being closer to the major East Coast hubs.

It just appears that CZ has found a stronger market position overall at this point than it has in PER.

ADL is also a lot closer to MEL/SYD/BNE than what PER is. QF have been on record in saying previously Chinese passengers typically visit at least 2 cities when they visit Australia and as I have pointed out before Perth's isolation is a deterrent
Forum Moderator

IndianicWorld

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 pm

qf789 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
waoz1 wrote:

ADL is also a lot closer to MEL/SYD/BNE than what PER is. QF have been on record in saying previously Chinese passengers typically visit at least 2 cities when they visit Australia and as I have pointed out before Perth's isolation is a deterrent

Fully agree with that logic.

Some of my thinking though in terms of outbound demand is that there are many choices also available from ADL via the East Coast hubs which adds to the competitive landscape.

PA515

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm

zkncj wrote:
Surely there isn't 300 passengers a day that want to travel between just AKL and ADL?

The 275 seat 789 will be used Tue Wed Fri Sun, and possibly Mon also as the AKL-IAH flight looks to be departing later.

PA515

qf2220

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:45 pm

qf789 wrote:

Probably WOL or something haha

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:24 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

Good news for ADL.

In all honesty this isn’t much of a surprise. South Australia receives 38% more Chinese visitors compared to Western Australia, and Chinese visitor growth is faster for SA.

If you include CX then Perth still has more service to Greater China, but CX carry both a fairly high proportion of transfer traffic and a high poroportion of Australian point of sale traffic compared to the PRC carriers, which are disproportionately oriented to Chinese point of sale inbound traffic. For this traffic Adelaide is a larger market than Perth.

I’ve also heard from someone at CA that ADL will be there next Australian market but at this stage their is no timeframe as it isn’t a priority for them and there won’t be any further expansion in Australia until BNE is bedded down.

http://tourism.sa.gov.au/documents/CORP ... %7D&B=True

https://www.tourism.wa.gov.au/Publicati ... c%2017.pdf
Worked Hard, Flew Right

flyaustralian12

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 pm

AKL/NTL worked quite well for Freedom Air apparently, until NZ pulled the pin on Freedom around 2003 I think it was & everyone from NTL area forced to go to SYD or fly to BNE to go international. Charter flights AKL/NTL/AKL twice a week, were due to commence in 2004 using a Royal Brunei B752. Very little support was given to this from NTL area & the idea was canned.

DeltaB717

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
qf789 wrote:

As a proud Novocastrian I hope it's exciting but doubt it after the ADL debacle. Not that having an ADL flight is a bad thing.

I can't tell you what it is, but I do think you'll find it more exciting than FP/QQ to ADL! :P

MooLor

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 pm

flyaustralian12 wrote:
AKL/NTL worked quite well for Freedom Air apparently, until NZ pulled the pin on Freedom around 2003 I think it was & everyone from NTL area forced to go to SYD or fly to BNE to go international. Charter flights AKL/NTL/AKL twice a week, were due to commence in 2004 using a Royal Brunei B752. Very little support was given to this from NTL area & the idea was canned.

There are NRL Rugby League teams in both Newcastle and Auckland which would generate some traffic - not sure how many fans travel internationally for regular season games though. Probably easier for the Central Coast (Gosford based) and Wellington A-League Soccer teams to travel via SYD.

smed63

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 am

I’m at DFW and see two QF 380s here. I would assume only one would need to be here at a time based on schedule. Is this typical or a special circumstance?

flyaustralian12

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 am

MooLor wrote:
flyaustralian12 wrote:

There are NRL Rugby League teams in both Newcastle and Auckland which would generate some traffic - not sure how many fans travel internationally for regular season games though. Probably easier for the Central Coast (Gosford based) and Wellington A-League Soccer teams to travel via SYD.
a route like NTL/AKL can't survive just based on football teams. Lot of kiwis live around NTL apparently. Look at flying NTL/AKL vs SYD/AKL. It would add up to 5 hours travelling in each direction for anyone living near NTL to go via SYD + lots of additional costs.

Maybe a PER/NTL/AKL or CBR/NTL/AKL twice a week ?

Hell Air NZ could do that with an A320 either as a way of increasing PER/AKL services(they could call it direct) without having to use a widebody or give them more options on a PER/AKL. Air NZ can fly domestically in OZ much easier than any Australian airline.

A PER/NTL/AKL would be much easier than a PER/SYD/AKL. SYD/AKL is a very congested market & SYD is a mess(constant congestion/delays) & get the impression SYD charges would be much higher than NTL charges.

TasFlyer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Branching out onto an AKL route would be a bold move, but it may take some of that thinking to find a stronger position in the market.

PER would be an option on Tuesday and Saturday as the same aircraft appears to operate PER-HBA on Monday, Wednesday, Friday; and PER-CBR on Thursday, Sunday.

flyaustralian12

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:31 am

TasFlyer wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

PER would be an option on Tuesday and Saturday as the same aircraft appears to operate PER-HBA on Monday, Wednesday, Friday; and PER-CBR on Thursday, Sunday.

branching out ? You make it sound like NTL/AKL has never been done before? successfully ?

decry

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:38 am

According to this article Air Asia have been looking at Newcastle since 2007!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2007-11-0 ... ion/715426

flyaustralian12

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:51 am

according to this Freedom pulled out of AKL/NTL before NZ closed them down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Air

You'd think VA could have got the numbers on AKL/NTL from NZ

CraigAnderson

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 am

NTL-AKL 3xweekly but only a seasonal service to Feb 2019
https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... nd-flights

smi0006

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
NTL-AKL 3xweekly but only a seasonal service to Feb 2019
https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... nd-flights

3weekly, and seasonal- nice nimble move by VA. Why not try before they commit. Well done to VA for thinking outside of the box.

ben175

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:48 am

It's nice to see VA getting a little more creative and announcing expansion with PER-HBA and now NTL-AKL. I think if they focus on untapped markets where they can develop a niche for themselves as opposed to fighting QF head on, things could turn around.

I'd love to see PER-AYQ, MEL-BME OR HBA-AKL.

TasFlyer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:49 am

Aircraft is NZ based, operating AKL-NTL-AKL.
Last edited by TasFlyer on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qf648

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:55 am

wiggy wrote:
there should 789 domestic flights from MEL to ADEL

Mel Adelaide would be better served by frequency not by a 789

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 am

ben175 wrote:
HBA-AKL.

I think that this just became a whole lot more likely, for two reasons:

1. If NTL - AKL goes well, VA will have more confidence to launch more secondary routes (either itself, or with its TT subsidiary)
2. NZ will not be happy with this, and may want to stop VA from further undermining connections, by launching HBA - AKL itself

However, if NTL - AKL fails, then that may hinder HBA - AKL's odds.

Cheers,

C.

smi0006

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:16 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ben175 wrote:
HBA-AKL.

1. If NTL - AKL goes well, VA will have more confidence to launch more secondary routes (either itself, or with its TT subsidiary)
2. NZ will not be happy with this, and may want to stop VA from further undermining connections, by launching HBA - AKL itself

Cheers,

C.

How much of th Tasmanian market is cantered in HBA? For a date the size of Tassie, its pretty well served out of HBA,DPO and LST fragmenting the market someone with connections. But do agree this increases the chances of NZ more so than QF lunching CBR, and HBA- AKL. I’d imagine from a intimidation perspective the usage of NZ based aircraft is better. Interesting to see how the border will be staffed in NTL.

I would have thought with a hub in AKL to US,CA, AR and PI- NZ could have made a better go of of NTL, but credit to VA and their first mover advantage certainly can’t support two entrants!

TasFlyer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ben175 wrote:
HBA-AKL.

Cheers,

C.

Where will the AKL-NTL-AKL aircraft operate on the four days of the week that the AKL-NTL does not operate? Is this a third reason why HBA-AKL is now a lot more likely?

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:32 am

TasFlyer wrote:
Where will the AKL-NTL-AKL aircraft operate on the four days of the week that the AKL-NTL does not operate? Is this a third reason why HBA-AKL is now a lot more likely?

I don't think it's linked to HBA - VA already this month has announced significant New Zealand expansion over and above what they already planned for, so the frame could be allocated to existing routes on those off days, like SYD / MEL / RAR - AKL. I'd love to be proven wrong, though! I also think that if they really wanted maximum impact for HBA - AKL, they would've announced it either today - alongside the NTL - AKL launch - or alternatively, during the PER - HBA launch recently.

However, I may be wrong.

See: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12088610.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 am

TasFlyer wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
ben175 wrote:
HBA-AKL.

Cheers,

C.

It's not a new aircraft, the AKL based aircraft will rotate through the destinations VA serves ex-AKL. It's the same for OOL-AKL etc. Same crew will operate AKL-NTL-AKL presumably (with a 45min turn you'd think so).

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 am

Qantas16 wrote:
It's not a new aircraft, the AKL based aircraft will rotate through the destinations VA serves ex-AKL. It's the same for OOL-AKL etc. Same crew will operate AKL-NTL-AKL presumably (with a 45min turn you'd think so).

On the days the frame is not serving AKL - NTL - AKL, it seems likely that it'll serve AKL - RAR - AKL. Both flights leave AKL mid-afternoon, and get back to AKL after midnight, on complementary days, with NTL served on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, and RAR served on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Cheers,

C.

777ER
Head Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:10 am

Im more interested in announcements of TT entering the Tasman routes. THAT will be a big shake up for the routes with competition (mainly AKL, WLG, CHC and ZQN) on routes TT serves.

I'm literally itching for announcements and getting inpatient now.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

tullamarine

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

On the days the frame is not serving AKL - NTL - AKL, it seems likely that it'll serve AKL - RAR - AKL. Both flights leave AKL mid-afternoon, and get back to AKL after midnight, on complementary days, with NTL served on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, and RAR served on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Cheers,

C.

Whilst you are probably right in short term, I'd be surprised if RAR continued to be operated by VA in the longer term. With the end of the NZ alliance, I can't help thinking that this route is a bit surplus. Cook Islands is not a prime holiday destination from AU and you'd think NZ will start serving the route itself going forward. AN did serve RAR directly from SYD in the '90s using a 762 though this route was subsidised by Cook Islands government. VA will not do SYD-RAR as it is too far for 73W and there is no way route would ever justify an A332.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 am

tullamarine wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

Whilst you are probably right in short term, I'd be surprised if RAR continued to be operated by VA in the longer term. With the end of the NZ alliance, I can't help thinking that this route is a bit surplus. Cook Islands is not a prime holiday destination from AU and you'd think NZ will start serving the route itself going forward.

The NZ - VA alliance has no impact on AKL - RAR - the Pacific Islands was excluded from the alliance, due to competition concerns.

I see VA pulling the likes of AKL - TBU before AKL - RAR - Australian and New Zealand tourism to the Cooks is currently booming.

Cheers,

C.

tullamarine

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 am

The NZ - VA alliance has no impact on AKL - RAR - the Pacific Islands was excluded from the alliance, due to competition concerns.

I see VA pulling the likes of AKL - TBU before AKL - RAR - Australian and New Zealand tourism to the Cooks is currently booming.

Cheers,

C.

I looked into visiting there a couple of years ago and it was code shared which I assume will no longer be the case. Travel to Cook Islands may be booming from NZ but it is still very much an expensive to get to backwater from AU. It is a long way given Bali, Fiji, Noumea and Vanuatu are all closer. It requires a transit in AKL so it actually takes longer to get to than Hawaii and just a bit less than Tahiti. The flight times were always pretty dreadful with the return flight requiring a 3 hour stop in AKL in the middle of the night.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

NTLDaz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:53 am

smi0006 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
ben175 wrote:
HBA-AKL.

Cheers,

C.

How much of th Tasmanian market is cantered in HBA? For a date the size of Tassie, its pretty well served out of HBA,DPO and LST fragmenting the market someone with connections. But do agree this increases the chances of NZ more so than QF lunching CBR, and HBA- AKL. I’d imagine from a intimidation perspective the usage of NZ based aircraft is better. Interesting to see how the border will be staffed in NTL.

I would have thought with a hub in AKL to US,CA, AR and PI- NZ could have made a better go of of NTL, but credit to VA and their first mover advantage certainly can’t support two entrants!

Staffing the border won't be a problem- the Port is only a 10 minute drive down the road and foreign crews are coming and going 24 hours a day.

getluv

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 am

Good on VA for trying something new, however part of me thinks the rationale for this route is a parting shot at NZ rather what should be business decision.

Unfortunately, when VA announces routes they quietly axe/reduce other routes.
I'm that bad type.

downdata

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 am

777ER wrote:
Im more interested in announcements of TT entering the Tasman routes. THAT will be a big shake up for the routes with competition (mainly AKL, WLG, CHC and ZQN) on routes TT serves.

Eh... I doubt TT is in any shape to open a new base in AKL until they sort out their crewing/training issues in AU. Look at the progress (or lack thereof) for the fleet transition to 737NG that is suppose to be completed by July 2019!

DeltaB717

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:17 am

downdata wrote:
777ER wrote:

Eh... I doubt TT is in any shape to open a new base in AKL until they sort out their crewing/training issues in AU. Look at the progress (or lack thereof) for the fleet transition to 737NG that is suppose to be completed by July 2019!

I agree, and I actually believe secondary routes like NTL-AKL are quite the 'shake up' in themselves. It would be hard to come up with a cohesive argument that routes like this don't affect competition. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that VA, rather than TT, launching this route is incredibly telling!