Qantas16

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:40 am

Scoot is looking for Sales staff in Adelaide (see: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/781042562/)... will we see ADL-SIN soon on TR?

Whilst I wouldn't expect it to replace SQ, a 3-5x per week service in addition would probably work... Also would be (theoretically) possible by A320neo which they have arriving soon I think...

eta unknown

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:03 am

It wouldn't be the first time Scoot posts a job description with completely incorrect info about location/duties. FYI their HR Dept. has a reputation for competency issues.

Qantas16

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:22 am

eta unknown wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time Scoot posts a job description with completely incorrect info about location/duties. FYI their HR Dept. has a reputation for competency issues.

Now that I look at it, you're probably right... Australia Plains appears to be pretty far from Adelaide... more likely they just wanted "Australia" and that's what they got...

Velocity7

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 am

At the risk of becoming unpopular, can we talk about something apart from PER and WA? It really has become quite boring now.

Would love to hear about other aviation topics in this big brown country and balance up the conversation a bit.

If the current modus operandi continues we should rename this the 'Perth Aviation Thread'...just saying...

redroo

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:27 am

Changing subject. I got another “buy one time access” to the qantas club for an upcoming trip. It’s $45! Does anyone take up the offer? If you’re going hard at the bar it might make sense but it’s a bit steep for a coffee at 9am :-)

waoz1

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

redroo wrote:
Changing subject. I got another “buy one time access” to the qantas club for an upcoming trip. It’s $45! Does anyone take up the offer? If you’re going hard at the bar it might make sense but it’s a bit steep for a coffee at 9am :-)

Last time i went to business lounge in Perth i got wine tasting before me flight...slept well :)

NTLDaz

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am

redroo wrote:

Considering the bar doesn't open until 12pm it doesn't seem good value.

The Club can be a zoo at times.

moa999

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:29 am

The buy passes are only offered when the expect low demand.

HM7

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 pm

vhebb wrote:
Anyone know the date of the final QF B744 service to HKG?

Dec 12 I think
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1399101&p=20560127#p20560127
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER

V8CHRGD

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 am

Velocity7 wrote:
At the risk of becoming unpopular, can we talk about something apart from PER and WA? It really has become quite boring now.

Would love to hear about other aviation topics in this big brown country and balance up the conversation a bit.

If the current modus operandi continues we should rename this the 'Perth Aviation Thread'...just saying...

A dedicated Perth section would be great, that way we dont have to read whinging east coast posts.

getluv

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:20 am

V8CHRGD wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:

A dedicated Perth section would be great, that way we dont have to read whinging east coast posts.

Nor would we have to read sugar coated BS from the people who live there.
I'm that bad type.

redroo

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:40 am

NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Every time I get an offer I always wonder who takes them up.

smi0006

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:21 am

Separate Sidenote - in the world of ground handling nice to see Swissports purchase of Aerocare has now been taken to the next level with Swissport branding appearing in Sydney. At the moment they handle the international low cost crowd, and JL in MEL. Not to mention a huge domestic handling business of TT everywhere, and VA in PER domestic, HBA and regional ports.

Qantas16

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 am

smi0006 wrote:
Separate Sidenote - in the world of ground handling nice to see Swissports purchase of Aerocare has now been taken to the next level with Swissport branding appearing in Sydney. At the moment they handle the international low cost crowd, and JL in MEL. Not to mention a huge domestic handling business of TT everywhere, and VA in PER domestic, HBA and regional ports.

Will certainly help to raise the reputation of Aerocare in the Australian market. Aerocare also handles VA ramp at BNE international and also Air Vanuatu (I believe in SYD and MEL too...)

brucetiki

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:28 am

redroo wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Every time I get an offer I always wonder who takes them up.

I've taken these offers up a couple of times - first time they offered it to me for $50, the second time it was reduced to $38. First time was late afternoon and the second time was in the evening when I was on one of the last flights for the day.

$38 for any lounge access is pretty good IMO.

Both occasions it's been for the MEL lounge, and from an avgeek point of view, it's worth it for the tarmac views alone. Plus on both occasions you've had to pretty much roll me to the gate so I feel like I've had my money's worth.

As someone who doesn't fly anywhere near enough to justify forking out a Qantas Club membership, I see the value in these one off invitations as a little bit of a treat to finish off a holiday.

NTLDaz

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:41 am

brucetiki wrote:
redroo wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

I've taken these offers up a couple of times - first time they offered it to me for $50, the second time it was reduced to $38. First time was late afternoon and the second time was in the evening when I was on one of the last flights for the day.

$38 for any lounge access is pretty good IMO.

Both occasions it's been for the MEL lounge, and from an avgeek point of view, it's worth it for the tarmac views alone. Plus on both occasions you've had to pretty much roll me to the gate so I feel like I've had my money's worth.

As someone who doesn't fly anywhere near enough to justify forking out a Qantas Club membership, I see the value in these one off invitations as a little bit of a treat to finish off a holiday.

It's all in the timing which worked for you.and seemed to be well worth it. With a few hours to spare it's easy to spend 50 on food and drinks in the terminal.

I fly a lot for work and am QF Platinum but I don't bother with the lounge sometimes - especially before 12 :)

vhqpa

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:49 am

A couple of diversions for flights inbound to ADL

JQ963 from CNS diverted to BNE
QF663 from BNE diverted to MEL
JQ782 from BNE diverted to MEL
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Obzerva

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am

Just an idle thought. With VA probably wanting to get some sort of upper hand considering they’re losing their partnership with NZ. What are the chances of SYD and MEL’s EY lounges becoming co branded with VA from October?
The lounges could then be used for all EY and VA flights, and considering how low volume they are, potentially have GS, HU and JD use them as well as an income stream?

With EY needing any dollar they can get, and VA having no dedicated international lounges it seems like a good fit.
From memory they were going to be cobranded when they were proposed.

Just a thought.

Ryanair01

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:57 am

csturdiv wrote:
Not sure if this for this thread, but have there been any recent changes to the security screening at Australian airports? I recently flew SYD-PQQ-SYD. At SYD, when I went through security, I only had to take my Surface Pro 4 out of my backpack, my smaller Samsung tablet stayed in along with my DSLR and went through screening with no issues. At PQQ, I did the same and when my bag went through, they made me go back through the screening machine and take out my Samsung tablet as well. I asked and they said that all tablets have to be out now. Is this new or is it a case of a small town security screening agent not knowing what is going on? I fly semi-regularly and have never had any problems (other than the annoyance of about a 75% chance of being randomly selected for the explosive wand check after screening).

Glad I'm not the only one to get wand checked that often! Apparently you are supposed to take tablets out, but I've never really seen it enforced.

I'm not convinced security check points at Sydney T2/3 are anything much more than theatre.

sq256

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:48 am

Obzerva wrote:
Just an idle thought. With VA probably wanting to get some sort of upper hand considering they’re losing their partnership with NZ. What are the chances of SYD and MEL’s EY lounges becoming co branded with VA from October?
The lounges could then be used for all EY and VA flights, and considering how low volume they are, potentially have GS, HU and JD use them as well as an income stream?

With EY needing any dollar they can get, and VA having no dedicated international lounges it seems like a good fit.
From memory they were going to be cobranded when they were proposed.

Just a thought.

Makes sense considering neither are aligned to any of the "big 3" alliance, plus EY and VA Intl flights on their own doesn't really justify separate lounges. It would give EY some much needed income, including the suggestion of taking Premium/J customers from the HNA group airlines as well.

At the same time it ends the VA lounge lotto in SYD/MEL.

cougar15

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
Not sure if this for this thread, but have there been any recent changes to the security screening at Australian airports? I recently flew SYD-PQQ-SYD. At SYD, when I went through security, I only had to take my Surface Pro 4 out of my backpack, my smaller Samsung tablet stayed in along with my DSLR and went through screening with no issues. At PQQ, I did the same and when my bag went through, they made me go back through the screening machine and take out my Samsung tablet as well. I asked and they said that all tablets have to be out now. Is this new or is it a case of a small town security screening agent not knowing what is going on? I fly semi-regularly and have never had any problems (other than the annoyance of about a 75% chance of being randomly selected for the explosive wand check after screening).

Glad I'm not the only one to get wand checked that often! Apparently you are supposed to take tablets out, but I've never really seen it enforced.

I'm not convinced security check points at Sydney T2/3 are anything much more than theatre.

…..too many cables in your carry on and you will be scrutinized! Even worse, an airline badge in your luggage (never quite figured this one out, is it ´an airline bloke, … he won´t mind helping us fill our statistic requirements.....´or is it, carrier personnel may be the worst evil....?) That will ensure they even stick the wand up your pants!
with all my (European) flash badges and all of that, I too as a matter of rule got added to the 75% Club for the magic wand...….
Let´s keep our skies safe, I am happy to comply :white:
some you lose, others you can´t win!

eamondzhang

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:10 am

QF481 is returning to MEL as I type: https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA481/1d4b70d2 Opby A332 VH-EBK

Just flew over my place and the noise is somewhat not consistent with the normal A330 engine noise that I've been hearing everyday.

Any idea what's going on?

Michael

XAM2175

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 am

Inconsistent security policy is a right joy the whole world 'round! :p

Only last year I got an unbelievable bollocking from an officer at AMS for my ignoring his instruction to remove all electronic devices from my carry-on prior to screening. My protest that I had indeed done so and my bag had no further such devices was met with him pulling it to bits and triumphantly holding aloft my Rolleiflex 2.8C... an entirely-mechanical camera from the early 1950s.

So apparently in AMS cameras are now considered to be electronic by nature, not construction :roll:

eamondzhang

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

eamondzhang wrote:
QF481 is returning to MEL as I type: https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA481/1d4b70d2 Opby A332 VH-EBK

Just flew over my place and the noise is somewhat not consistent with the normal A330 engine noise that I've been hearing everyday.

Any idea what's going on?

Michael

Apparently it's due to depart again at 2100. Medical anyone?

Cheers
Michael

VapourTrails

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:54 am

redroo wrote:

I took up an offer of $45 last year at CBR. Mid-late morning. I spent about two hours there, first time in the Qantas Club Lounge at CBR, having only ever been in the BNE one as an accompanying guest.

I ate a healthy amount while there and had a hot beverage. Got waited on by a friendly staff member who pushed the sell of membership but also agreed for my travel per year which is not a lot, membership was quite expensive.

Good experience. I’ve been in the Business Lounge at CBR twice as part of a points upgrade and it was the better experience (the menu mainly), but aside from the view which was not airside.

VapourTrails

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

I also get selected for explosive wand checking a lot. I’ve never had to take tablets out and I also flew recently. Interesting and noted for future flights or terminal visits. Source: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/travelse ... ng-process

brucetiki

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm

vhqpa wrote:
A couple of diversions for flights inbound to ADL

JQ963 from CNS diverted to BNE
QF663 from BNE diverted to MEL
JQ782 from BNE diverted to MEL

What was the cause of the diversions - the weather wasn't that bad today.

ben175

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:45 pm

As I'm Gold I've never heard about these offers, how do they notify you? Through the Qantas app or an email? Would be good for some family members of mine.

I know VA does walk ins and also allows for certain Amex holders free entry.

tullamarine

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:57 am

Not anymore. The MEL QF Club now has a view of nothing with the reconfig giving all the view to the Business Lounge. There is a minor view over the check-in hall and that is about it. It is now one of the more depressing lounges in the network which is sad given it is brand new.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

rushed

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:26 am

tullamarine wrote:

Not anymore. The MEL QF Club now has a view of nothing with the reconfig giving all the view to the Business Lounge. There is a minor view over the check-in hall and that is about it. It is now one of the more depressing lounges in the network which is sad given it is brand new.

It’s also still under construction. When complete expect the current business lounge to become the club with tarmac views, as well as a reopening of the view onto the check in area.
travel blogging enthusiast :)

waoz1

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:31 am

Italian ambassador wants Perth-Rome flights
Interesting

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/touris ... b88910046z

Also in Saturdays west. Perth airport has dropped its fees for airlines using T2 with agreement with state goverment to encourage intrastate flights.

aerokiwi

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:52 am

Has Cathay given any indication it plans to use the A350-1000 into Australia in the near future? I think they've taken delivery of 2 (?) and they're using them on short haul regional before launching Washington in September. Any prospect they could rotate them through MEL or SYD?

Obzerva

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:30 am

aerokiwi wrote:
Has Cathay given any indication it plans to use the A350-1000 into Australia in the near future? I think they've taken delivery of 2 (?) and they're using them on short haul regional before launching Washington in September. Any prospect they could rotate them through MEL or SYD?

I’m not 100% sure, I think the premium economy cabin is too big for AU routes, CX have openly said that premium economy didn’t work overly great for them on AU routes.

Having said that, if any more A330s get transferred to KA, then I think there is the possibility on one or two flights.

SYDSpotter

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:43 am

aerokiwi wrote:

They are planning SYD in the 2nd half of 2018:

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific ... for-sydney
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

Obzerva

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am

a19901213 wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

I’m not 100% sure, I think the premium economy cabin is too big for AU routes, CX have openly said that premium economy didn’t work overly great for them on AU routes.

Having said that, if any more A330s get transferred to KA, then I think there is the possibility on one or two flights.

35K has same amount of PY on 77G and they seem to be doing just fine.

I was thinking of an upgrade from A330 to A35K, rather than a swap from a 777, but yes if swapped for a 777 then agree.

a19901213

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 am

Obzerva wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:55 pm

a19901213 wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:

Observa is correct, Cathay have publicly commented that there is a limited market for Premium Economy to Australia, and that it only really sells with long haul connections to Europe.

If by “doing just fine” you mean using the largest possible aircraft due to bilateral restrictions then you would be correct, but don’t read anything into Premium sales given that CX has openly complained about market weakness.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ADL77W

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:54 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Observa is correct, Cathay have publicly commented that there is a limited market for Premium Economy to Australia, and that it only really sells with long haul connections to Europe.

If by “doing just fine” you mean using the largest possible aircraft due to bilateral restrictions then you would be correct, but don’t read anything into Premium sales given that CX has openly complained about market weakness.

I know it's anecdotal, but I fly Cathay a lot between ADL and ICN. Business always looks full and economy is often oversold. I just about always book economy knowing that as a Marco Polo member that I will be bumped up to Premium Economy maybe 80% of the time.

Ryanair01

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:46 pm

waoz1 wrote:
Italian ambassador wants Perth-Rome flights
Interesting

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/touris ... b88910046z

Also in Saturdays west. Perth airport has dropped its fees for airlines using T2 with agreement with state goverment to encourage intrastate flights.

With Paris and Frankfurt already discussed it seems sensible he tries to get Rome on the QF list. I'd have thought a combination of Kings Park, Cottesloe Beach, Fremantle and Rottness Island is about right for a two day stop over enroute to the east coast.

a19901213

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Sorry should've expressed my word more clearly.
Just trying to say CX needs more capacity in Business/Economy class more than they need to worry about the weak market in PY.

eta unknown

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 am

Speaking of CX, most of their non-SYD Australian based Sales & Marketing staff will be retrenched shortly...

Question about CX's BNE-CNS-HKG 4x/weekly daylight flight which usually averages 50 pax ex BNE- is this sector designed to max out the bilateral and keep other carriers (read: HX) out of BNE?

QF29

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 am

EK looks to be changing their flight times out of Melbourne, I'd expect an announcement very soon.
A318/19/20/21, 330-2/3, 345, 380, B737-4/6/7/8 B763 B743/4 B777-2/3 B787-8, Q-400

eamondzhang

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:31 am

eta unknown wrote:
Speaking of CX, most of their non-SYD Australian based Sales & Marketing staff will be retrenched shortly...

Question about CX's BNE-CNS-HKG 4x/weekly daylight flight which usually averages 50 pax ex BNE- is this sector designed to max out the bilateral and keep other carriers (read: HX) out of BNE?

Likely, given the other (SYD+BNE+MEL+PER) flights add up to 66 weekly and the bilateral allows 70.

This also gives them access to CNS when (IIRC) BNE is relatively weaker.

Michael

TasFlyer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 am

SkyBus services have commenced at HBA.

http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/releases/all_aboard_the_skybus

Services are every 30 minutes every day.

https://www.skybus.com.au/hobart-express/timetable

kriskim

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:23 am

QF29 wrote:
EK looks to be changing their flight times out of Melbourne, I'd expect an announcement very soon.

The 2 A380’s aren’t making any money sitting in MEL for half the day!
A world built upon connectivity.

vhqpa

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 am

I wonder if EK is also looking at reshuffling the BNE schedule. At the moment their three daily departures from BNE are at 2100, 2250 and 0235.
Last edited by vhqpa on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Bluebird191

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 am

vhqpa wrote:
I wonder if EK is also looking at reshuffling the BNE schedule. At the moment their three daily departures from BNE are at 2100, 2350 and 0235.

I’m of the opinion EK need to retime EK435 for a mid morning departure, roughly 9-10am. Saves the 77W/A380 (depends on the time of the year) sitting on the apron for 14-15 hpurs each day. Could allow for 2 potential daily A380 flights for EK into BNE if they so choose, while I’ve heard rumours on and off of EK432/433 being seriously considered for A380 service.

Melb94

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 am

QF29 wrote:

If they are changing their schedule out of Melbourne, what would they become?

VapourTrails

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:54 am

On the topic of MEL I noticed that there are no 712 operating through MEL at the moment, or, very rarely?

Qantas16

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
I wonder if EK is also looking at reshuffling the BNE schedule. At the moment their three daily departures from BNE are at 2100, 2350 and 0235.

I’m of the opinion EK need to retime EK435 for a mid morning departure, roughly 9-10am. Saves the 77W/A380 (depends on the time of the year) sitting on the apron for 14-15 hpurs each day. Could allow for 2 potential daily A380 flights for EK into BNE if they so choose, while I’ve heard rumours on and off of EK432/433 being seriously considered for A380 service.

I'm no expert on EK's DXB departure banks but I don't think a 9-10am departure will allow connections to any of their main banks. They need a ~5am departure ex-BNE for that and that wouldn't work with their existing timetable. Unless they did something similar to:

EK434 DXB 1035 - 0625 BNE
EK433 BNE 1300 - 1940 SIN 2110 - 0050 DXB

EK432 DXB 0230 - 1405 SIN 1535 - 0055 BNE
EK435 BNE 0500 - 1310 DXB

Then keep the existing timetable for:

EK430 DXB 2140 - 1730 BNE
EK431 BNE 2250 - 0700 DXB

They could keep (initially) the 77W on the first two flights and the A380 on the flight direct flight both ways. Or vice versa. That way they are meeting more departure/arrival banks in DXB and don't have all the flight departing at relatively the same time ex-BNE.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos