User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:12 am

Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
zkncj
Posts: 2978
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:25 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


So yet another reason for VA to decrease its profitability by extending there ground stays in SYD,MEL,BNE the long the aircraft is on the ground, the leas money it can make in an day.

I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:49 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


Both airlines have different operating procedures on the ground as well. For examples with QF cleaners are on board the aircraft before the passengers are off, where as with VA cleaners are not allowed to be on the aircraft until all passengers are off, the same applies to catering and any other support services

Also I would point out that VA does not always use stairs. At PER stairs are only used at gates 43-46 and not all the time, generally on quick turnarounds only, gates 47A,47B,48 and 49 use aerobridges only
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:56 am

zkncj wrote:

So yet another reason for VA to decrease its profitability by extending there ground stays in SYD,MEL,BNE the long the aircraft is on the ground, the leas money it can make in an day.

I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.


That is hardly comparable since a lot of flights here in Australia are longer than what they are in NZ. Have you seen the state of a 737 after a BNE-PER flight? I will say no. As such longer ground times are required just to get the aircraft ready for the next flight. We are also in winter which means it is not uncommon to see toilets closed after they have been sprayed with vomit in flight, that alone can be a time consuming process to get it ready for the next flight
Forum Moderator
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:20 am

zkncj wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


So yet another reason for VA to decrease its profitability by extending there ground stays in SYD,MEL,BNE the long the aircraft is on the ground, the leas money it can make in an day.

I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.


Fantastically long bow to draw... but don't let that stop you. Oh you haven't!

From a pax perspective, boarding and deplaning on VA 737s is usually pretty excellent when both doors are used. It then comes down to "paperwork" and other factors I don't really understand before doors close. From what I've seen it is usually done in 35-40 minutes. From discussions I've had with VA staff, contracted out ground services in particular ports are pretty poor. Now I can't verify that as I'm only seeing it from a pax perspective.

It's also why I don't bother lining up on Qantas 737 boardings... you end up spending 5-10 minutes in the airbridge when it's bad. Same in NZ in my experience - I've never seen a 25 minute turnaround on them. I think even Southwest has ditched that metric.

FAs on both airlines are pretty relaxed during boarding. US carriers are yelling orders to hurry, step aside, hurry up with bags etc, in that perfectly American polite-yet-fedup way they do so well. Maybe that's needed here.

Also, all airlines pad out their schedules now so they can "make up time" in the air. Yay for OTP figures!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 am

Fantastically long bow to draw... but don't let that stop you. Oh you haven't!


LOL - Bloody Chris Luxon still posting under his A-Net non-de-plume. :box:

The biggest issue I see with dual door boarding is pax who don't listen to ground crew and board through wrong door and then cause disruption onboard as they swim against the tide.

QF and VA cabin crew have different conditions under their EBA. VA crew will generally commence clean of the toilets as the aircraft is taxiing to the terminal whereas QF crew don't clean toilets ever. Likewise on tight turns on VA, you will often hear the crew asking pax to reorganise their seat pockets so the safety card is on top.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 am

zkncj wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


So yet another reason for VA to decrease its profitability by extending there ground stays in SYD,MEL,BNE the long the aircraft is on the ground, the leas money it can make in an day.

I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.


Yes no wonder NZ is making those record profits, routinely turning around an A320 in 25 minutes !

Of course everything is done better when its done by NZ, faster aircraft boarding time, better strategy, better seats, better meals, better management, better yield management have I missed anything? Oh, better cheerleaders in the Australian Aviation Threads :duck:
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_789
 
smi0006
Posts: 1843
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
zkncj wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


So yet another reason for VA to decrease its profitability by extending there ground stays in SYD,MEL,BNE the long the aircraft is on the ground, the leas money it can make in an day.

I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.


Yes no wonder NZ is making those record profits, routinely turning around an A320 in 25 minutes !

Of course everything is done better when its done by NZ, faster aircraft boarding time, better strategy, better seats, better meals, better management, better yield management have I missed anything? Oh, better cheerleaders in the Australian Aviation Threads :duck:


I’m sure I read a few years ago QF was turning their domestic 738 in 35mins on the east coast. They introduced front and rear boarding in MEL, along with gate tags for bags to indicate they went under the seat and cleaners boarded whilst pax disembarked. Not too shabby for a full clean and cater.

I think this is where a 797 will shine- with two asiles and bigger lockers a wide body will be faster per pax to turn then a narrow body. The 767 was able to be turned in 50-45mins at a push. The 330 struggled as I recal due to refuelling not the cabin or below deck turn.
 
TN486
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:38 am

Love the humour, keep it coming boys. "Chris Luxon", get off our blog (hmmmm)
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
calt03
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 am

qf789 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Regarding rear door boarding, correct me if I’m wrong but VA no longer schedule any 30 minute turns. Maybe they do at the likes of HTI and PPP, but not in SYD, MEL, BNE etc. Therefore given that QF routinely turn a 737 in 40 minutes with just 1 door I can’t see why this would be an issue if they are unable to use the rear door?


Both airlines have different operating procedures on the ground as well. For examples with QF cleaners are on board the aircraft before the passengers are off, where as with VA cleaners are not allowed to be on the aircraft until all passengers are off, the same applies to catering and any other support services

Also I would point out that VA does not always use stairs. At PER stairs are only used at gates 43-46 and not all the time, generally on quick turnarounds only, gates 47A,47B,48 and 49 use aerobridges only


VA is trying to maintain a premium look and feel but are going about it the wrong way.

Perhaps QF was right to bring in Joyce from JQ - services hasn't gone too far downhill, but best practices of turning around the aircraft has reached mainline.
 
ben175
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 am

Just got back from a trip around Southern Africa and found it hilarious how cheap it is to nag an on-the-spot upgrade on almost every flight.

$50 cash in hand (no credit card... seemed quite suss) upgrade on South African VFA-JNB on a 330 with the lie flat product, and $36 on Comair from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth! Short journeys yes, but well worth it to skip the awful check in queues and to get lounge access/better meals.

I've never tried this method in Australia but I assume the gate agent will just laugh in your face, right? Or make you pay the fare difference?
 
openskies88
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:13 am

tullamarine wrote:
VA crew will generally commence clean of the toilets as the aircraft is taxiing to the terminal whereas QF crew don't clean toilets ever. Likewise on tight turns on VA, you will often hear the crew asking pax to reorganise their seat pockets so the safety card is on top.


This is completely untrue. VA crew don't clean toilets on taxi - lavatories are locked off as part of the safety and security checks prior to the last cabin door closing.

And they definitely do not ask pax to reorganise the seat pocket contents in preparation for the next flights. Checking the seat pockets on turnarounds is a mandatory safety requirement stipulated by CASA - even on tight turns.
 
log0008
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:16 am

Perth just released there May traffic data and i think its worth discussing
https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... statistics

Total: +3.8%
International: + 1%
Domestic +5% including regional/mining traffic up 8.5%

Domestic traffic is now up by around 4% for the year and has been positive in all month this is big news as Perth's domestic traffic has fallen in each of the last 5 years by at least 2% YOY and mining traffic's decline has been even greater. WA's mining boom is back on to an extent.

Going to be interesting to see what happens now, VA has often blamed the decline in the mining boom for its issues and both airlines have relied on moving aircraft from mining routes back east to enable expansion both domestically and internationally. Australia's domestic market is now well and truly in its best shape since 2013 is not 2012
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am

On the PER figures above, this is promising - "The China market has grown 8.3% in the last 12 months, while Japan has grown 7.3%." Despite this, it seems that the MU test flights have gone silent, and Japan won't re-start until next year, at the earliest. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other re MU at PER?

Cheers,

C.
 
flyjetstar
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:32 am

"Only one thing is certain about how Virgin Australia will look in a year - it will be different.

Chief executive John Borghetti probably won’t be there. Although he has agreed to remain until 2020, his relationship with some members of the company’s dysfunctional board is fraught and his departure date will probably be announced before the end of the year."


https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/flight-risk-who-ll-be-game-to-take-on-virgin-ceo-job-20180706-p4zpyh.html

I expect Etihad to bail on Virgin despite what the CEO is saying.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:18 am

log0008 wrote:
Perth just released there May traffic data and i think its worth discussing
https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... statistics

Total: +3.8%
International: + 1%
Domestic +5% including regional/mining traffic up 8.5%

Domestic traffic is now up by around 4% for the year and has been positive in all month this is big news as Perth's domestic traffic has fallen in each of the last 5 years by at least 2% YOY and mining traffic's decline has been even greater. WA's mining boom is back on to an extent.

Going to be interesting to see what happens now, VA has often blamed the decline in the mining boom for its issues and both airlines have relied on moving aircraft from mining routes back east to enable expansion both domestically and internationally. Australia's domestic market is now well and truly in its best shape since 2013 is not 2012


Firstly there is no mining boom, lets not get carried away and I think the term "mining boom" gets misused a lot on here. There has been mines been opening up consistently and this reflects in the figures, new projects are always ongoing. Internationally we have seen some incremental increases from some carriers, whether its a larger aircraft or more frequencies. Over the past year or so both DXB and DPS have been in decline. Its good to see now those numbers for DPS are improving again.
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 am

openskies88 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
VA crew will generally commence clean of the toilets as the aircraft is taxiing to the terminal whereas QF crew don't clean toilets ever. Likewise on tight turns on VA, you will often hear the crew asking pax to reorganise their seat pockets so the safety card is on top.


This is completely untrue. VA crew don't clean toilets on taxi - lavatories are locked off as part of the safety and security checks prior to the last cabin door closing.

And they definitely do not ask pax to reorganise the seat pocket contents in preparation for the next flights. Checking the seat pockets on turnarounds is a mandatory safety requirement stipulated by CASA - even on tight turns.


On VA turns on the 737's cabin crew do the cabin (rubbish, tody seat pockets, vacuum) while cleaners will bring in fresh supplies, do business and the toilets
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 am

VH-ZNE has entered service today operating 2 MEL-BNE-MEL flights

Also on another thread regarding EY cuts, BNE is one of a few cities that could be on the hit list next
Forum Moderator
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:33 am

qf789 wrote:
Also on another thread regarding EY cuts, BNE is one of a few cities that could be on the hit list next

That somewhat surprises me, because it's the one major Australian city which QR is not at (yet) - so, less competition. Plus, isn't VA stronger in BNE / Queensland?

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:38 am

Yesterday's EK414 DXB-SYD returned to DXB shortly after takeoff due to a tech issue, replacement flight has just left DXB

https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 7685724162
Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 am

planemanofnz wrote:
On the PER figures above, this is promising - "The China market has grown 8.3% in the last 12 months, while Japan has grown 7.3%." Despite this, it seems that the MU test flights have gone silent, and Japan won't re-start until next year, at the earliest. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other re MU at PER?

Cheers,

C.


Face
Egg
On

In a sentence

Ill await the raft of links to random web pages.
Markets are picking up and someone who is directly involved in mining sector there is a significant uptake in work. 2018/2019 could be interesting for the market.
 
sq256
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

flyjetstar wrote:
"Only one thing is certain about how Virgin Australia will look in a year - it will be different.

Chief executive John Borghetti probably won’t be there. Although he has agreed to remain until 2020, his relationship with some members of the company’s dysfunctional board is fraught and his departure date will probably be announced before the end of the year."


https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/flight-risk-who-ll-be-game-to-take-on-virgin-ceo-job-20180706-p4zpyh.html

I expect Etihad to bail on Virgin despite what the CEO is saying.


Problem is that there is really no potential suitors interested in picking up either the Etihad or HNA stakes. Although the usual suspects of SQ and DL are usually thrown around.
SQ hasn't really shown any interest in expanding nor selling their stakes and are pretty much "hands-off" in the day to day running of VA. Last we've heard from DL was back in 2016 (At the time of NZ exit) not ruling out a stake "in the future".
 
log0008
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:12 pm

qf789 wrote:
log0008 wrote:
Perth just released there May traffic data and i think its worth discussing
https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... statistics

Total: +3.8%
International: + 1%
Domestic +5% including regional/mining traffic up 8.5%

Domestic traffic is now up by around 4% for the year and has been positive in all month this is big news as Perth's domestic traffic has fallen in each of the last 5 years by at least 2% YOY and mining traffic's decline has been even greater. WA's mining boom is back on to an extent.

Going to be interesting to see what happens now, VA has often blamed the decline in the mining boom for its issues and both airlines have relied on moving aircraft from mining routes back east to enable expansion both domestically and internationally. Australia's domestic market is now well and truly in its best shape since 2013 is not 2012


Firstly there is no mining boom, lets not get carried away and I think the term "mining boom" gets misused a lot on here. There has been mines been opening up consistently and this reflects in the figures, new projects are always ongoing. Internationally we have seen some incremental increases from some carriers, whether its a larger aircraft or more frequencies. Over the past year or so both DXB and DPS have been in decline. Its good to see now those numbers for DPS are improving again.



Boom or not the mining scene is very different now to it was 12 month ago - investment in exploration is up from $250 million in 2016 to just over $500 million in the year ending May 2018, Fortescue and BHP have both announced new Pilbara mines for the first time since 2013 and Rio is awaiting board approval for its new mine. The main fact is that the decline in mining investment and employment since the peak of boom is now over and things a look up and it will have a significant on aviation in Australia, Perth's decline has had almost an -8% impact on annual nationwide domestic traffic since 2013 so even a flat market is good.
 
PA515
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

zkncj wrote:
I've commonly seen 171-180 seat A320 been turned in 25 minutes in New Zealand.

The shortest scheduled turnaround for Air NZ's domestic A320s is 35 min. If you saw it done quicker then it was a late arrival and they threw everything at it to get back on schedule.

PA515
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1487
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:44 am

ben175 wrote:
Just got back from a trip around Southern Africa and found it hilarious how cheap it is to nag an on-the-spot upgrade on almost every flight.

$50 cash in hand (no credit card... seemed quite suss) upgrade on South African VFA-JNB on a 330 with the lie flat product, and $36 on Comair from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth! Short journeys yes, but well worth it to skip the awful check in queues and to get lounge access/better meals.

I've never tried this method in Australia but I assume the gate agent will just laugh in your face, right? Or make you pay the fare difference?


I dont know but i upgraded my grandmother from W to J SCL-SYD at checkin. It cost something like $500 which was nothing compared to the W/J fare differential. This was about 4 hours from takeoff so whatever QF could get for the ticket (at SCL) they would take I guess. Paid by credit card though, no cash in hand. The $50 cash in hand in ZA would probably go a bit further than in Aus so yes, possibly suss in your case.
 
An767
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:48 am

noticed of flight radar that QF81 is being flown buy the 380 between 5th -13th July inclusive, is this due to shortage of 330's due mx etc. or a boost for school holiday traffic ?

An67
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:08 am

An767 wrote:
noticed of flight radar that QF81 is being flown buy the 380 between 5th -13th July inclusive, is this due to shortage of 330's due mx etc. or a boost for school holiday traffic ?

An67

Probably due to the ongoing shortage of pilots for the 737. The A330s are replacing 737s on some domestic runs, and on PER-SIN. In turn, the A380 is probably needed to replace these A330s.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:58 am

Last night's QF2 LHR-SIN turned back to LHR about 5 hours into the flight

https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 8173723654
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7295
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 am

openskies88 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
VA crew will generally commence clean of the toilets as the aircraft is taxiing to the terminal whereas QF crew don't clean toilets ever. Likewise on tight turns on VA, you will often hear the crew asking pax to reorganise their seat pockets so the safety card is on top.


This is completely untrue. VA crew don't clean toilets on taxi - lavatories are locked off as part of the safety and security checks prior to the last cabin door closing.

And they definitely do not ask pax to reorganise the seat pocket contents in preparation for the next flights. Checking the seat pockets on turnarounds is a mandatory safety requirement stipulated by CASA - even on tight turns.


VA absolutely do ask the pax to rearrange the seat pockets, I’ve heard it on two or three flights where we were delayed inbound and there is a tight turn. Of course checking the safety card is on top is a CASA requirement, but the check is a hell of a lot quicker if it is already there instead of needing to rearranging 100 seats.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:21 am

VA Flights at PER this morning were delayed by about an hour due to a check in system failure

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/travel ... b88889605z
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:23 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:
An767 wrote:
noticed of flight radar that QF81 is being flown buy the 380 between 5th -13th July inclusive, is this due to shortage of 330's due mx etc. or a boost for school holiday traffic ?

An67

Probably due to the ongoing shortage of pilots for the 737. The A330s are replacing 737s on some domestic runs, and on PER-SIN. In turn, the A380 is probably needed to replace these A330s.


Probably a bit of both, Monday's QF81 has been cancelled, most likely due to the A388 returning back to LHR

The next A388 going for painting is not due to leave SYD until the 14th of July
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Apparently the QF2 flight that returned to LHR had an issue with No 3 engine

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts777/sta ... 9412860928
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 pm

From April 17 to March 18, MEL-SYD was recorded as the second highest route for revenue, value to be worth in excess of $1 billion a year for Qantas. The top route was LHR-JFK for BA

https://www.ausbt.com.au/for-qantas-syd ... ource=grid
Forum Moderator
 
log0008
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Herald Sun has details on Melbourne Airports 2018 draft master plan which will be released soon
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... a307f878dd

Key Details:

New east-west runway work very close to starting
New domestic terminal building planned in future (t5)
Upgrades of existing facilities and an overhaul of drop-off and pick-up zones
shared use of boarding gates between international and domestic operations are planned


Ultimately by 2038 Airport expects to be handling 70 million passengers per year - about the size of Shanghai and Paris today

Future projections see the airport eventually having four runways, six terminals and a high-speed rail station linking to the CBD and regional centres.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3064
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:19 pm

^^ Can’t view the article but it appears that T1 and/or T3 are in line for some international flight operations.

Rebuilding those piers is likely required anyway in the not too distant future so I am sure they can work on a way to get as many international ops through those as possible, even if it is mainly just the 737/A320 flights. Not an any task though with already well utilised gates there on domestic duties though.

The T5 plan will be interesting to see, given that it is likely down past T4, which is quite some distance from the T1/2/3 complex.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:13 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
^^ Can’t view the article but it appears that T1 and/or T3 are in line for some international flight operations.

Rebuilding those piers is likely required anyway in the not too distant future so I am sure they can work on a way to get as many international ops through those as possible, even if it is mainly just the 737/A320 flights. Not an any task though with already well utilised gates there on domestic duties though.

The T5 plan will be interesting to see, given that it is likely down past T4, which is quite some distance from the T1/2/3 complex.


T5 is still planned for about 20 years time though I doubt they can wait that long as the only real way to grow int'l ops is to make T3 part of international and develop T5 for VA. Whilst the distance from T1 to T5 would be over 1km, it is important to note that MEL has discussed automated people mover system as part of any new terminal. Automated people movers would also enable existing terminal complex to grow at expense of car parking which could be located further away from terminals but linked by the automated rail system.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 am

D7's AVV schedules have been released:

[From 4 December 2018]

D7216 KUL1035 – 2130AVV 330 D
D7218 KUL2225 – 0920+1AVV 330 D

D7219 AVV1035 – 1550KUL 330 D
D7217 AVV2245 – 0400+1KUL 330 D


See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2018/.

Hopefully the AVV move goes well for D7.

Cheers,

C.
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:09 am

qf789 wrote:
Apparently the QF2 flight that returned to LHR had an issue with No 3 engine

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts777/sta ... 9412860928


Does seem a long way back to LHR for a technical issue. Surprised they didnt go to DXB. The QF1 / 2 seems to be having lots of delays lately.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1876
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Apparently the QF2 flight that returned to LHR had an issue with No 3 engine

https://twitter.com/FlightAlerts777/sta ... 9412860928


Does seem a long way back to LHR for a technical issue. Surprised they didnt go to DXB. The QF1 / 2 seems to be having lots of delays lately.

Whilst DXB would've been closer, I assume this was for crewing reasons. All cabin crew on QF2 (and QF10) are LHR based so returning to LHR would've meant a new crew could be enabled for the rescheduled service. If the A380 had gone onto DXB, a crew would've had to have been flown in for LHR meaning the delay may have been even longer.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 am

Donghai Airlines to increase DRW to 3 weekly

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 78688?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Qantas94Heavy
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:53 am

qf789 wrote:
Effective 28 Oct 18 VA’s MEL-HKG will go back to daily, schedule will return to a morning departure, 11am from MEL

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ource=hero


How on earth are they going to do it?

VA's schedules for November 2018 show that SYD-HKG will now depart at 6:10pm from HKG on most days:

Image

VA69 MEL1100 - 1735HKG D
VA68 HKG1950 - 0830+1MEL D

VA83 SYD1100 - 1740HKG D
VA82 HKG1810 - 0635+1SYD x35
VA82 HKG1950 - 0815+1SYD 35


That would mean either the plane stays at HKG overnight(!) or an exceedingly short 35 minute turnaround (the MEL flight arrives at 5:35pm).
 
sq256
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:34 pm

VA starting BNE replacing HX's existing HKG-OOL-CNS-HKG slots (minus the CNS stop)?
 
Boof
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Flying five days a week from another Australian city to HKG might allow it to happen for VA...
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:46 pm

sq256 wrote:
VA starting BNE replacing HX's existing HKG-OOL-CNS-HKG slots (minus the CNS stop)?


Or they could try PER-HKG instead
Forum Moderator
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 pm

qf789 wrote:
sq256 wrote:
VA starting BNE replacing HX's existing HKG-OOL-CNS-HKG slots (minus the CNS stop)?

Or they could try PER-HKG instead

I like this idea - VA could take advantage of PER's recovery and the associated Chinese demand that comes with this, before QF does. In contrast, at BNE, VA would be battling not only QF, but also a host of other carriers from Greater China that don't serve PER, such as CI and MU.

Cheers,

C.
 
waoz1
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:08 pm

qf789 wrote:
sq256 wrote:
VA starting BNE replacing HX's existing HKG-OOL-CNS-HKG slots (minus the CNS stop)?


Or they could try PER-HKG instead


Start believing in unicorns too lol
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Over 75% of people living within 10km of PER support the new planned parallel runway

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/air ... b88889984z
Forum Moderator
 
ZuluAlpha
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm

QF24/09JUL BKK/SYD did not depart.

Rego was VH-EBS

A lose and unbraked baggage cart rolled into the number 1 engine causing damage to the cowling.

Parts being shipped up from SYD
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W
 
MooLor
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:24 pm

ZuluAlpha wrote:
QF24/09JUL BKK/SYD did not depart.

Rego was VH-EBS

A lose and unbraked baggage cart rolled into the number 1 engine causing damage to the cowling.

Parts being shipped up from SYD


There's an EK A380 departs BKK for SYD within two hours of QF24 - QF code-share on it as QF8418. I wonder how many off the A332 could be re-accommodated on EK?
 
743Flyer
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2018

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:40 am

https://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-is-cu ... ource=hero

EK reducing PER-DXB to 1 daily from April 17 2019. The 777 flight (EK424/EK425) has been cut leaving only the a380 service (EK420/EK421).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos