BWIAirport
Topic Author

Couple in hot water over "Stupid" stunt at SXM

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:41 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/video/ ... spartanntp

Some woman did a handstand on her boyfriend/husband's shoulders and came within inches of an arriving aircraft. They are a stunt team.

I couldn't find exact time and date information. The aircraft was described in this video as a "cargo jet", but it doesn't look like one from the pictures.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

reffado

Re: Couple in hot water over "Stupid" stunt at SXM

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Looks like a 727, so I’d guess Amerijet or the like. While I have to say the resulting image is really cool, it was certainly an incredibly stupid thing to do, putting their lives (and potentially others) at risk.

EDIT: upon looking at it more carefully, other posters seem to be correct. Definitely a biz jet. I think you can even make out that it’s Brazilian-registered on the close up picture (seems to read PR- under the wing).
Last edited by reffado on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seabosdca

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Just a matter of time before Maho Beach is closed, and stunts like this will bring it about sooner.

barney captain

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 pm

It looks more like a corporate jet - possibly a Global Express, and two complete morons.
Southeast Of Disorder

blooc350

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Yes, this is a Bombardier Global Express jet.

northstardc4m

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I think it's PR-VDR, the color scheme looks like a match and its been in an out of SXM a few times

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

FlyingVan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I doubt they were within inches, maybe not even within feet. Can't tell unless we have a photo from the side.

FlyHossD

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 pm

FlyingVan wrote:
I doubt they were within inches, maybe not even within feet. Can't tell unless we have a photo from the side.

Standard threshold crossing height is 50 feet; so this jet was probably somewhat higher than that*. Even 2 6 foot tall people stacked vertically wouldn't be within "inches." So it doesn't strike me as dangerous to the jet, it's passengers or the stunt couple.

*Yes, I've landed at SXM (in a 737). No, I didn't feel the need to "duck under" the normal glidepath.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

yowza

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:32 pm

reffado wrote:
Looks like a 727, so I’d guess Amerijet or the like. While I have to say the resulting image is really cool, it was certainly an incredibly stupid thing to do, putting their lives (and potentially others) at risk.

Doesn't look like a 727... I don't think. Also pretty sure that it's a Brazilian registered (PR-) aircraft so not likely Amerijet.

YOWza

kalvado

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:33 pm

If this is within inches, then inspection of SXM fence should be performed as the plane definitely hit that fence

KL001

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Another sensational Fox News article. First, it is not a cargo jet, but a (much smaller) business jet. Second, look at the shade: it is still over water, the sun comes from that direction, so that means the plane is even further away than its shade. It is just an optical illusion that it looks like her feet is 'inches' away from the plane. The low angle of the camera combined with the use of a large aperture makes it look much closer than it really is. This 'news' article reminds me a lot of how they recorded a 'secret rocket launch' in the Pacific Ocean near Los Angeles when someone just showed a plane contrail on a clear evening.

WN732

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I love how they said that they were in hot water. But they only quoted people from Social Media. Oh boy those comments must hurt soooooo bad. Fake news.
Last edited by WN732 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alggag

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm going defend the couple here. If they actually managed to get close enough to a plane to put it in danger by doing some relatively simple gymnastics then maybe Maho should be shut down.

neomax

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Doubt the plane was ever in any real danger. But the intention should be punished because it is things like this that ruin it for the rest of us.

DarthLobster

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:54 pm

seabosdca wrote:
Just a matter of time before Maho Beach is closed, and stunts like this will bring it about sooner.

Nonsense. SXM is a huge tourist attraction for St. Maarten, and there have already been deaths associated with tourist stupidity and aircraft movements, yet it remains open.

richierich

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

What is the status of Maho Beach these days anyway? I know several major hotels on the island are completely rebuilding after last year's devastating hurricane, including the Sonesta Maho which is basically gutted down to the steel framework. Crazy.
None shall pass!!!!

LimaFoxTango

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

I don’t know why this a “stupid stunt”. Knowing Maho beach very well and knowing how high aircraft actually cross this beach, they were in no danger of hitting any aircraft. Clearly this is just one of those parallax effect shots that made it seem they were closer than they actually were. I personally think it’s a very cool shot!
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

kalvado

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
I don’t know why this a “stupid stunt”. Knowing Maho beach very well and knowing how high aircraft actually cross this beach, they were in no danger of hitting any aircraft. Clearly this is just one of those parallax effect shots that made it seem they were closer than they actually were. I personally think it’s a very cool shot!

Is there any significant plane induced airflow to make such acrobatic tricks tricky? Of course, people doing such tricks should be capable of handling lost balance anyway...

BalkanBoy

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Serious question, how did this risk other people's lives? I can't imagine her feet taking down a plane.

SPREE34

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 pm

seabosdca wrote:

Sadly, agree. It'll be some crap for brains that throws a beach ball or other object that goes into an engine. Tourist attraction or not, ICAO will get involved, the roadway will end up gate controlled and the beach closed.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

sw733

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

BalkanBoy wrote:
Serious question, how did this risk other people's lives? I can't imagine her feet taking down a plane.

In theory she could get hit or blown in to someone else nearby.

ak

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

Many people don't know this, But its possible to read/see something you don't agree with on the internet and simply move on with your life.
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

ssteve

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm

kalvado wrote:
If this is within inches, then inspection of SXM fence should be performed as the plane definitely hit that fence

Within somewhere between 600 and 1200 inches.

MSPSXMFLIER

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Oh, come on! This couple was never in danger of being so close that the woman could potentially be struck by any part of this approaching aircraft. I've lost count on the number of times I've stood on the beach, directly underneath the approach path with an incoming jet and felt fine knowing nothing would happen. It's nothing more than an attempt to get attention for themselves on social media and create an unusual photograph and the MSM lapped it up, excitedly. People who cross the road to hang onto the fencing and lose their grip while an aircraft spools up its engines for takeoff are a bigger problem because there have already been a few deaths from people being blown off balance and hitting the concrete dividers.

Tugger

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Yeah, the (over) reaction by others to this is pretty lame. More proof that people are not to bright and don't understand "parallax" etc.

Cool picture.

(PS. what will get the beach closed is a moron throwing something up to hit an aircraft - a ball? a camera, trying to get that "cool pic". I'm sure it has already happened but wait till a picture of it happening gets out.)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

PlanesNTrains

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 pm

https://www.facebook.com/pilotscafe/vid ... 507109324/

Just curious if this is really that low too?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Chemist

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm going to agree with the posters saying there was no danger here. If there was in fact danger, then any airport with a public beach that would risk a spectator collision within 2x the height of a normal person should be shut down. The planes normally pass over the threshold at ~50 feet (5 stories). Even higher when over the beach.

itisi

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 pm

Pilots showing off for the camera are far more dangerous than this couple.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

nikeherc

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:59 pm

The real idiots are the ones who “ride the fence.” Getting struck by turbofan exhaust at takeoff power makes it likely that you will be injured by flying debris. As long as you are on the beach, you are in no danger. It’s the fence riders that are going cause problems.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

einsteinboricua

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 am

Must be a slow news day at Fox.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA940

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 am

It's just an optical illusion. They were probably like 10-15 feet from the aircraft easily. Which isn't a lot, but still isn't that ''dangerous'' per se.
A350/CSeries = bae

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 am

It’s just using a telephoto lens to compress the distance between the foreground and the plane in the background. Old photog trick.

GF

angusjt

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 am

I agree with the comments re it being not nearly as dangerous as the article makes it out to be, rather it's just the angle of the photo.

But sadly it's only a matter of time before some idiot pushes the limits and gets the whole beach closed.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:29 am

I bet we see it closed pretty soon, people just can't seem to understand there is some risk and overdue everything these days until it's shit down. Will be pretty sad for real aviation enthusiasts

EvanWSFO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 am

seabosdca wrote:

Absolutely. It's a danger to the idiots who want to experience the jet blast, and potentially an aircraft landing with more b.s. like this. It won't affect enthusiasts, they can still get a close up view from either side of the approach pattern.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 am

sw733 wrote:
BalkanBoy wrote:

Luckily it was a bizjet; if it was an A320/737/757 I do think there's a possibility that she could be sucked into the engine.

Michael

DarthLobster

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 am

Worst thing that'll ever happen as far as changes to Maho Beach are concerned is they'll move the landing threshold forward a bit so aircraft make a slightly higher approach above the beach. Granted this will entail some performance issues, but as long as you're not running an A340 in there, it shouldn't be an issue.

NYPECO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 am

eamondzhang wrote:
sw733 wrote:
BalkanBoy wrote:

Luckily it was a bizjet; if it was an A320/737/757 I do think there's a possibility that she could be sucked into the engine.

Michael

If the wheel of an A320/737 or 757 etc was in the same place as the wheel of the bizjet, there shouldn't be a danger of her getting sucked into the engine.

JAAlbert

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 am

FlyingVan wrote:

My thought exactly. Depending upon the location where the photo is taken and the particular lens used, something distant can appear to be at your fingertips (or toe tips). I have been on this beach and from where the handstand occurred, I think it unlikely her feet came anywhere near the approaching aircraft. The planes I saw landing, seemed to pass at a healthy height in comparison to the beach.

I've been to this beach and it was one of the highlights of my life - standing so close to approaching aircraft, and the astonishing, hot force of the engine blast on take off was something that shocked and surprised me. In short, I loved every second of it!

spacecadet

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I bet we see it closed pretty soon, people just can't seem to understand there is some risk and overdue everything these days until it's shut down. Will be pretty sad for real aviation enthusiasts

There is risk in crossing the street. There is risk in everything we humans do. I think we all understand that someone died there and that was a tragic thing, but more people have died on roller coasters over the past few years than have ever died riding the fence at SXM. You can't close every single thing someone dies doing for fun.

People have been saying Maho Beach will/should be closed for *years* here. I don't know what's happened to this site... look at the comments in this thread about it from 2004, and compare them to now: viewtopic.php?t=278251

Maho Beach will not be closed and it should not be.

As for this "stunt", that plane was at least 30 feet above those people at that point. I say this from experience both at Maho Beach, and as a trained photographer.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

neomax

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 am

DarthLobster wrote:
Worst thing that'll ever happen as far as changes to Maho Beach are concerned is they'll move the landing threshold forward a bit so aircraft make a slightly higher approach above the beach. Granted this will entail some performance issues, but as long as you're not running an A340 in there, it shouldn't be an issue.

Well in that case, it very much it is an issue since the last time I checked, A340's are flown into SXM.

26point2

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 am

The IDIOT is the pilot who buzzes the beach. You don’t see that most places but it’s OK at Maho? I’ve landed at SXM a few times in GLEX too and never had the urge to buzz the beach. Bunch of d’bag pilot looking to impress someone I suppose.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/pilotscafe/videos/2098248507109324/

Just curious if this is really that low too?

SpaceCadet, since you’re a photographer, would you mind checking out this Maho video and telling me how much room you think they had between the wheels and their heads? It looks low to me but maybe it’s just an illusion.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PanzerPowner

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 am

The beach had the Sand put back? How is the terminal?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

Runway28L

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 am

I totally agree with the notion that there is an illusion with this photo making whatever the couple were doing seem dangerous.

I can see why an optical illusion like this could make a report mistaken. But to then claim that they were in "hot water" just based off of outrage from random Twitter users, some of whom may be bots or have zero knowledge, is even more frustrating IMO. :shakehead:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos