Geminijets101
Topic Author

Where will the new World Airways be based?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 am

Where will first U.S. long haul LCC be based if the airline actually begins service?
and where will other hubs be located?
my ideas for a base are:
-Washington Dulles International Airport ( gateway to Europe )
-Philadelphia International Airport ( competing with AA, less likely though)
-Los Angeles International Airport ( gateway to Oceania and Asia and competing with AA,UA,DL. Less likely )
-Seattle International Airport ( compete with Delta )

Hubs:
-Miami International Airport ( gateway to Latin America and the Caribbean competing with AA and latin carriers and maybe introduce long awaited flights to Africa)
-FortLauderdale-Hollywood International Airport ( competing with JetBlue, Spirit, and Southwest )
-Houston George Bush International Airport ( compete with UA )
-Portland International Airport ( compete with Alaska and Sun Country. Unlikely. )
A fellow Miamian

Midway737

Re: Where will the new World Airways be based?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:46 am

I remember reading an article not long ago, say it will fly out MIA and LAX but where don't know. and i know it won't be in Seattle or Philadelphia for sure. you can forget about FLL and PDX

Max Q

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am

You think this is a good idea ?

Hard enough for any new airline to start up from scratch but using the name from a failed one is like a gypsy curse !

Braniff, Pan Am, Eastern, National are just a few failed reincarnations that come to mind

Bad idea !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 am

Max Q wrote:
You think this is a good idea ?

Hard enough for any new airline to start up from scratch but using the name from a failed one is like a gypsy curse !

Braniff, Pan Am, Eastern, National are just a few failed reincarnations that come to mind

Bad idea !

I didn't say it was a good idea. All I did was do potential hubs/base if the airline takes off.

No pun intended.
A fellow Miamian

FA9295

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:54 am

Forget about SEA and PDX. Way too much competition and limited gate space at SEA, and the current facilities at PDX cannot handle too many widebody jets (the airport itself is way too small). I don't think we'll be seeing World Airways on the west coast at all aside from SFO and LAX.

Some likely ideas that come to mind: LAX, SFO, IAD, EWR, MIA
Some not so likely, but still in the realm of possibility: AUS, DEN, BOS
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

Ionosphere

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 am

I thought I read they wanted to fly out of MIA?

TWA1985

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:04 am

I know this whole thing is a stretch, but can anyone see ORD or MDW coming into play?
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

FA9295

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 am

TWA1985 wrote:
I know this whole thing is a stretch, but can anyone see ORD or MDW coming into play?

They would have to exclusively use Terminal 5 at ORD (unless they were able to lease usable gates from AA and/or UA). Depending on the extent of their operations, I don't see that being a problem. However, I don't think MDW can sustain any widebody operations right now.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:20 am

Maybe:

MIA-EWR/JFK
MIA-ORD
MIA-DFW
MIA-LAX
MIA-Latin America
MIA-Europe

Possibly MIA-VCV
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

Springbok743

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:31 am

I was wondering if there would be a business opportunity for an anchorage base for World Airways or indeed any airline to act as a midway hub between Asis and North America sort of similar to how icelandic airlines fly pax via their base in iceland. I say this because Anchorage has significantly above capacity international terminal with no shortage of slots, and I feel the lower fuel costs of these shorter flights, could allow for lower travel costs (as long as you avoid russian overflight fees, or are they less bad over the pacific?). Just an idea, probably been tried and failed, but I'd like to hear someone else's view on this, thanks

oldannyboy

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am

Great, another ghost rising from the dead.
I mean, what's the big deal with finding a new name? Can't they just let the dead rest in the US??

Also, talking about "hubs" (as in 'hub&spoke' system) I think it's a bit of a stretch given that most lo-cost fly point-to-point only, plus this is a new airline which will need plenty of time and effort (and financing) to simply get off the ground in any meaningful form....

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 pm

What about other cities out side of the U.S.? Like LGW or TXL?
A fellow Miamian

rajincajun01

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

TPA might be a strong option no one is considering. There is definite SA and Europe demand. Not a lot of competition. Low costs. Growing business ties.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
TPA might be a strong option no one is considering. There is definite SA and Europe demand. Not a lot of competition. Low costs. Growing business ties.

Heard that JetBlue and maybe even United might expand at TPA.

United might have a Cleveland style focus city there.
A fellow Miamian

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm

TWA1985 wrote:

I can definitely see them flying to ORD maybe MDW too.
A fellow Miamian

727LOVER

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Maybe:

MIA-EWR/JFK
MIA-ORD
MIA-DFW
MIA-LAX
MIA-Latin America
MIA-Europe

Possibly MIA-VCV

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Max Q wrote:

.....and what's the one airport where these were all big? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:48 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Heard from where?

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Heard from where?

some article, I mean it probably won't happen, but UA could use TPA to strengthen their presence in Florida.
A fellow Miamian

aaway

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Possibly MIA-VCV

LOL!!! Add to that MIA - AVW/AVQ (Marana), MIA - MHV (Mojave), MIA - GLH (Greenville, MS), MIA - TUP (Tupelo)
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

Miami

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 am

Dude. We all know you were going to include MIA into this.

Actually, you probably made this thread because you were curious about World Airways and Miami. And only Miami.

Please stop embarrassing MIA. Like if you need info or have a question just PM me.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

crj900lr

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 am

I heard they were going to set up shop in FWA. Did I hear that wrong?

flyaustralian12

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
Where will first U.S. long haul LCC be based if the airline actually begins service?

-Los Angeles International Airport ( gateway to Oceania and Asia and competing with AA,UA,DL. Less likely )

There's huge demand for USA/Australia LCC type services. The only services that exist now are JQ, HNL/SYD & HNL/MEL.

The LAX/Australia market is crowded (LAX/BNE QF & VA; LAX/SYD QF/VA/UA/DL/AA), LAX/MEL QF/VA/UA) but SFO/Australia only QF/UA SFO/SYD.

Believe OAK is a much cheaper & less congested port than SFO, so why not OAK/BNE or OAK/AVV(Melbourne) with or without a stop somewhere like APW, which would make a good minhub.

If flying out of MIA, why not MIA/TIJ/Australia.

Don't think any airline is using the Mexico/Australia traffic rights & TIJ gives an airline access to the SAN market via CBX.

Flights could be seasonal or less in quiet times, but it should be noted that Australian workers get lots more holidays than USA workers. Most Australians get a minimum of 4 weeks paid leave with leave loading of 17.5% or more, plus most get long service leave after 10 years employment, plus many other days off.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 am

flyaustralian12 wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

There's huge demand for USA/Australia LCC type services. The only services that exist now are JQ, HNL/SYD & HNL/MEL.

The LAX/Australia market is crowded (LAX/BNE QF & VA; LAX/SYD QF/VA/UA/DL/AA), LAX/MEL QF/VA/UA) but SFO/Australia only QF/UA SFO/SYD.

Believe OAK is a much cheaper & less congested port than SFO, so why not OAK/BNE or OAK/AVV(Melbourne) with or without a stop somewhere like APW, which would make a good minhub.

Don't think any airline is using the Mexico/Australia traffic rights & TIJ gives an airline access to the SAN market via CBX.

Flights could be seasonal or less in quiet times, but it should be noted that Australian workers get lots more holidays than USA workers. Most Australians get a minimum of 4 weeks paid leave with leave loading of 17.5% or more, plus most get long service leave after 10 years employment, plus many other days off.

MIA-Australia is very unlikely at the moment.
We can’t even get a flight to east Asia or Africa.
A fellow Miamian

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 am

Miami wrote:
Dude. We all know you were going to include MIA into this.

Actually, you probably made this thread because you were curious about World Airways and Miami. And only Miami.

Please stop embarrassing MIA. Like if you need info or have a question just PM me.

Can’t include MIA for what reason? I can’t get people’s opinions or thoughts? Just because your name is Miami, doesn’t mean you represent the airport. I don’t think I’m embarrassing the airport at all and I’m just making a thread with my thoughts and opinions on it.
A fellow Miamian

KLMatSJC

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 am

How about DTW? Maybe they will start DTW-BOM as their first flight :duck:
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Carp12c

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 am

A quick look on the World Airways wikipedia page will give you this link... The fact that this airline will be based at MIA and LAX is insane! I have high doubts that they will even get off the ground.
https://airwaysmag.com/industry/777-par ... d-airways/

Carp12c

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 am

Carp12c wrote:
A quick look on the World Airways wikipedia page will give you this link... The fact that this airline will be based at MIA and LAX is insane! I have high doubts that they will even get off the ground.
https://airwaysmag.com/industry/777-par ... d-airways/

And than this is their branding. I honestly think this is one big insane joke!
https://thepointsguy.com/news/world-air ... /#comments

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:

They wouldn't do that, but I can see a DTW hub for them if the airline even takes off.
A fellow Miamian

FA9295

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

They wouldn't do that, but I can see a DTW hub for them if the airline even takes off.

I'm sure DTW was just a joke. Long-time viewers of this site understand it.... :-D

alasizon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:

Is there any major airport you don't see a hub for them at?

The odds of World getting off the ground are pretty darn slim; but even if they do their first three to five years will be limited to a single main hub and maybe a second focus city and that is it.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 am

alasizon wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

Is there any major airport you don't see a hub for them at?

The odds of World getting off the ground are pretty darn slim; but even if they do their first three to five years will be limited to a single main hub and maybe a second focus city and that is it.
A fellow Miamian

cschleic

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 am

Both articles say based in Miami and hubs in Miami and LAX. Seems pretty clear. Whether it happens or not...another question. Interesting that the brand colors are different in the two articles although they're both attributed to the same magazine.

FlyHossD

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
and where will other hubs be located?
my ideas for a base are:
-Washington Dulles International Airport ( gateway to Europe )...

Are there any gates available at IAD? Last time I passed through there (about a year ago), the concourses seemed very busy or full to me.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

LAXintl

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:13 am

Considering these guys have not filed a single sheet of paperwork with the DOT on the road to getting an air carrier certificate, or economic licensing, I would not waste brain cells thinking about them.

At the moment Baltia sits far ahead of them progressing towards flying one-day.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

flyaustralian12

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:33 am

Geminijets101 wrote:
flyaustralian12 wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

MIA-Australia is very unlikely at the moment.
We can’t even get a flight to east Asia or Africa.

MIA/Australia one stop, not nonstop !!!

flyaustralian12

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 am

LAXintl wrote:
Considering these guys have not filed a single sheet of paperwork with the DOT on the road to getting an air carrier certificate, or economic licensing, I would not waste brain cells thinking about them.

At the moment Baltia sits far ahead of them progressing towards flying one-day.
surely the easiest way would be to take over an existing airline. Must be quite a few small U.S. airlines who could be bought.

For international ops, they don't need a U.S. AOC.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos