Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A310
Topic Author

What are Sully and Skiles doing now? (2018)

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi everyone. I am curious about what the Miracle on the Hudson pilots is doing now. I see both of them are giving speeches and that Skiles works for AA, flying the A330, while Sully retired from the sky shortly after the accident.

But do someone knows more about their current status. Have Skiles been promoted to captain again, or does he remain as a FO? Are their speeches open to the public?

I think many of us are curious about this topic, so if you know anything, feel free to drop a comment :)

BWIAirport

Re: What are Sully and Skiles doing now? (2018)

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Sully is still an important public figure in aviation. He is quite active on his Twitter account and has a book out, I believe.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Redwood839

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I follow Sully on Social Media and he recently kinda backed away from it a bit, I think he even posted not too long ago the reasons for it but I skipped on reading it.

Sully was before/during the accident an aviation (safety?) consultant so I think he went back to that and giving conferences, as I remember him being very active around SOCAL. I personally stopped following him when he started criticizing the hour requirement for regional pilots and wanted something really high up established which is contrary to my belief and thought that it should be a fair amount of hours where you've been trained on actually hand flying the plane, being able to recover and actually responsible for the people behind you and your aircraft in an emergency (not talking 150 hours here folks). I don't believe you should have 3K hours (or something like that,don't quote me on it) as he wanted for regional jets.

Sure, he was an extremely professional pilot who saved a lot of lives and flew thousands of flights with professionalism and safety, but the days of when he was trained back in the day and now are different. Technology is different now days and training is more advanced, you shouldn't be trying to stop young pilots who work their behinds off to go through flight school and minimal wage CFI/Caravan like flying trying to achieve their dream of flying jets.

whywhyzee

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm

I read an article from Skiles in Flying Magazine (maybe, could have been another), he was writing columns for them and flying the 787 for AA.

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I know that he joined CBS News as their aviation consultant, shortly after his retirement. I checked the listing of staff bios from their website and he was no longer shown as a contributor so I’m assuming that he is no longer with the network. He is involved in regular speaking engagements and writing books focusing on the aviation industry and safety.

A310
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
I read an article from Skiles in Flying Magazine (maybe, could have been another), he was writing columns for them and flying the 787 for AA.

Sounds interesting :D Do you have a link?

stlgph

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Armodeen

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Agreed, and I stopped following him for the same reason.

Redwood839 wrote:
I follow Sully on Social Media and he recently kinda backed away from it a bit, I think he even posted not too long ago the reasons for it but I skipped on reading it.

Sully was before/during the accident an aviation (safety?) consultant so I think he went back to that and giving conferences, as I remember him being very active around SOCAL. I personally stopped following him when he started criticizing the hour requirement for regional pilots and wanted something really high up established which is contrary to my belief and thought that it should be a fair amount of hours where you've been trained on actually hand flying the plane, being able to recover and actually responsible for the people behind you and your aircraft in an emergency (not talking 150 hours here folks). I don't believe you should have 3K hours (or something like that,don't quote me on it) as he wanted for regional jets.

Sure, he was an extremely professional pilot who saved a lot of lives and flew thousands of flights with professionalism and safety, but the days of when he was trained back in the day and now are different. Technology is different now days and training is more advanced, you shouldn't be trying to stop young pilots who work their behinds off to go through flight school and minimal wage CFI/Caravan like flying trying to achieve their dream of flying jets.

apodino

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Jeff Skiles is currently an FO on the 787 for American. He was on the 330 for USAirways during the merger but moved to the 787 after the fences came down.

stburke

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Being shills for ALPA and pumping up the arbitrary 1,500 hour rule. Aka "important research."

sgbroimp

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Wouldn't he be approaching the age/seniority level where move up to Capt. would be expected?

alesfr

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

stlgph wrote:

Exchanging and sharing are wonderful concepts too, you know ;)
A318 A319 A320 A320N A321 A333 ATR72 BAE146 B735 B737 B738 B742 B753 B763 B772 B773 B789 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ1000 DASH8 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170 E190 F100 MD82 S2000

VolvoBus

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:28 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Wouldn't he be approaching the age/seniority level where move up to Capt. would be expected?

Does AA give him the option of staying a {presumably} very senior FO on 787 wherever he is based, thus flying pretty much where and when he wants, in preference to sitting on permanent reserve in New York ?

32andBelow

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Sully has made it his mission to destroy regional aviation by pushing insane pilot hour minimums.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm

sgbroimp wrote:

The legacies are ripe with senior FO’s who are happy to sit right seat international widebody versus fly left seat on a mostly domestic narrow body schedule.

Redwood839

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:

Does AA give him the option of staying a {presumably} very senior FO on 787 wherever he is based, thus flying pretty much where and when he wants, in preference to sitting on permanent reserve in New York ?

Probably. He lives in Wisconsin (per his site) and does a lot of conferences and show ups etc. He owns a C180 which is very active on flightaware as well, so I'd imagine he doesn't stick around ORD where he is based all day just waiting around.

He has a couple of good stories on Flying Magazine including a long journey into Canada.

catiii

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Sully has made it his mission to destroy regional aviation by pushing insane pilot hour minimums.

Agreed. The sanctimonious and holier than thou tone wears thin as well.

codc10

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:

Upgrades and fleet are at his discretion (unless displaced) and based on whatever his seniority can hold. As a senior FO at a major carrier, you can approach CAP pay on widebody equipment with relatively low workload, a favorable/predictable schedule, productive trips and good layovers. The quality of life is pretty good and for many, not worth the additional pay of a left seat but comparatively worse seniority.

I know a few pilots who flew as WB F/O for a decade or more, only taking a CAP bid toward the end of their respective careers when they could carry over a similar QOL.

A310
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm

stlgph wrote:

I saw the website of Skiles and wanted to hear if there was someone who knows more details about what he and Sully are doing now-

A310
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm

stlgph wrote:

I saw the website of Skiles and wanted to hear if there was someone who knows more details about what he and Sully are doing now.

A310
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Sadly yes. Colgan Air 3407, the accident that has served as the major argument for people in favor of the 1500-hour requirement was not caused by lack of experience, but rather fatigue. Also, the pilots had about 3400 and 2300 hours respectively. Far more than the (in)famous 1500 hours.

A310
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 pm

stburke wrote:
Being shills for ALPA and pumping up the arbitrary 1,500-hour rule. Aka "important research."

Yeah, true...
But I was referring to what they have been doing after that, and what their current (professional) situation is.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
sgbroimp wrote:

I dont know what his seniority is. Just because he is famous doesn't mean the airline gives him special treatment seniority wise or that he is very senior. He bids what his seniority can hold. As a 787 FO, he can likely hold a captain line on narrow body equipment in the same base but the QOL would be different. For some, widebody FO reserve can be pretty good QOL. Some on widebody FO reserve don't work very much but still get paid the monthly guarantee. Good pay for sitting at home. For some it is better than flying multi leg days as a narrow body captain.

There are a lot of people with the same or similar time in company as Skiles that aren't that senior. Just because you are older or have a ton of flight time doesn't make you senior. Your date of hire does.

A really bad pilot can be the most senior widebody captain with the highest pay and best schedule and the best pilot can be the most junior on reserve with a crappy narrowbody schedule and lowest pay. Seniority is everything.

goboeing

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 pm

A310 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Sadly yes. Colgan Air 3407, the accident that has served as the major argument for people in favor of the 1500-hour requirement was not caused by lack of experience, but rather fatigue. Also, the pilots had about 3400 and 2300 hours respectively. Far more than the (in)famous 1500 hours.

Fatigue?

Recovering from a stall is never, ever, ever done by hauling back on the yoke! That is not a fatigue issue.

And as pilot monitoring, if you see your colleague doing this, and see the stall continuing, it is not fatigue that makes you decide to raise the flaps and put the icing on the cake!

It was lack of training and lack of quality experience, and a captain with a history of problems.

You're saying that 2300 hours total time in the right seat is plenty.

But what is the F/O actually heard saying on the CVR that night?

That she's not ready for upgrade!!

Wake up people!

When you are PIC and you have an abnormal situation, you will at that moment be glad that at least the 1500 hour rule attempts to raise the bar to a bare minimum.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 pm

goboeing wrote:
A310 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Fatigue?

Recovering from a stall is never, ever, ever done by hauling back on the yoke! That is not a fatigue issue.

And as pilot monitoring, if you see your colleague doing this, and see the stall continuing, it is not fatigue that makes you decide to raise the flaps and put the icing on the cake!

It was lack of training and lack of quality experience, and a captain with a history of problems.

Wake up people!

When you are PIC and you have an abnormal situation, you will at that moment be glad that at least the 1500 hour rule attempts to raise the bar to a bare minimum.

No if you can demonstrate you can pass a rigouriius training, sim and IOE program you should be a pilot. The pic in this case failed a bunch of checkrides. That’s on the trainers not on hard working safe pilots that now need to go 200k in debt to work.

PDX88

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:47 am

goboeing wrote:

So how about the FO of Colgan 3407 with over 2200 hours? Flight hours don't mean squat when it comes to measuring experience. Anyone can go spin circles in a Piper Cub over a patch of dirt in Kansas until their logbook says 1500 hours, but no better of a pilot than they were at 250. But in the eyes of the FAA they're somehow experienced enough to earn an ATP. Weekend fliers, flight instructors, part 91, and part 135 pilots all come to the regionals with the same amount of hours but vastly different skill levels. "An hour is an hour" is complete BS.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:49 am

32andBelow wrote:

So, airline pilots shouldn’t be required to be licensed as AIRLINE PILOT? Do you really think 250hours, or 6 weeks of full-time work qualifies one to be an airline pilot. Would you go to a doctor with 250 hours of experience or employ a defense lawyer with a total of 250 billable hours? No wonder people have so little respect for piloting.

GF

32andBelow

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

So, airline pilots shouldn’t be required to be licensed as AIRLINE PILOT? Do you really think 250hours, or 6 weeks of full-time work qualifies one to be an airline pilot. Would you go to a doctor with 250 hours of experience or employ a defense lawyer with a total of 250 billable hours? No wonder people have so little respect for piloting.

GF

Totally not comparable and you have no idea what your talking about. At 250 hours you have your commercial ratings. And that’s 250 fight time with engine on. Nothing else. Comparing the skill to fly a plane vs being a doctor isn’t in the same galaxy.

Max Q

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

GF

Well said

Standards and required experience should
remain at a high level for a pilot to be hired
at a major airline

That means at least 1500 hours with a substantial amount of multi engine time and an ATP

Experience, training and high standards are the reason we have such a safe airline industry in the US
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Ionosphere

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 am

The three Charlotte based Flight Attendants were Donna Dent, Sheila Dail, and Doreen Welsh.

Doreen was seriously injured and never flew again as a FA. I believe either Sheila or Donna has recently retired.

DeltaRules

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 am

Armodeen wrote:
Agreed, and I stopped following him for the same reason.

Redwood839 wrote:

Sully's posts have shifted from quasi-informative (albeit heavily pushing an agenda) to downright "grumpy old man" at times lately, missing the hypocrisy of deriding lobbyists while he himself was one in his own way, yet people eat it up because of celebrity. Some of them feel more like fearmongering than anything else.

He also doesn't get anywhere near the number of replies he used to to the 1500 hour rule posts. On a very narrow view of things, I'd actually like to see his reaction if 1500 gets walked back; he'll go thermonuclear.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

goboeing

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 am

PDX88 wrote:
goboeing wrote:

So how about the FO of Colgan 3407 with over 2200 hours? Flight hours don't mean squat when it comes to measuring experience. Anyone can go spin circles in a Piper Cub over a patch of dirt in Kansas until their logbook says 1500 hours, but no better of a pilot than they were at 250. But in the eyes of the FAA they're somehow experienced enough to earn an ATP. Weekend fliers, flight instructors, part 91, and part 135 pilots all come to the regionals with the same amount of hours but vastly different skill levels. "An hour is an hour" is complete BS.

Yes, how about the F/O of Colgan 3407.

She was on the CVR talking about how she did not feel like she was ready to upgrade.

2200 hours.

It's still very light on total time.

Need I say more?

PDX88

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 am

goboeing wrote:
PDX88 wrote:
goboeing wrote:

She was on the CVR talking about how she did not feel like she was ready to upgrade.

2200 hours.

Need I say more?

You're comparing experience to hours again. I've flown with 5000 hour captains who are worse pilots than some sub-1000 hour FOs. The question is how did she earn those 2200 hours? Why was she not ready for an upgrade at 2200 when other pilots are? Not all hours are equal.

Armodeen

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 am

Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

GF

Well said

Standards and required experience should
remain at a high level for a pilot to be hired
at a major airline

That means at least 1500 hours with a substantial amount of multi engine time and an ATP

Experience, training and high standards are the reason we have such a safe airline industry in the US

Except it’s no safer than Western Europe which doesn’t have those restrictions?

Max Q

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:04 am

Sully and Skiles were and are the epitome of professionalism

As Airline Pilots they are still an example to follow

And Sully has been a great advocate for working pilots since that day on the Hudson

Different countries have varying requirements but 1500 hours and an ATP is and should remain a bare minimum to work as a pilot for a major airline
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

T1a

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am

1500 hours and an ATP is and should remain a bare minimum to work as a pilot for a major airline

Being a pilot in Europe it always raises my eyebrows when this 1500h minimum discussion comes up. There has never been a minimum like that over here and most pilots join major airlines right after passing their CPL/IR or MPL license, so at roughly 300h. By the way, it takes about two years to get there, not 6 weeks. At my pilot-school it was 12 months of theoretical training alone, before we ever even touched an airplane.
Over here it's all about rigorous selection of the candidates and high quality training. And I don't see airplanes of airlines like Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Austrian or Swiss drop out of the sky at an alarming rate. All of which almost exclusively hire from their own pilot-schools with all of their new-hire pilots at around 300h.
If never flown commercially in the US, but from what I've read on here, we have other safety nets in place over here. For example in case of an MPL license the type-rating and line-training are actually part of the licensing, you actually receive the license after the type-rating but it's technically not complete until the line-training has been completed. Also the line-training takes 200h, most of that with flight instructors, the rest of it with specially trained highly experienced captains. And even after the line-training is completed you're still restricted and can't be paired with a captain that just came out of his line-training for another 100h.

And as stated above, I've never seen an analogy between the hours a colleague has and his skill.

All in all I cannot see how so many of my US colleagues are in favor of the 1500h rule, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Cheers to you all,
T1a
All views expressed under this username are mine as a private person and don't necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Redwood839

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm

goboeing wrote:
PDX88 wrote:
goboeing wrote:

2200 hours.

Need I say more?

Then it's her professional responsibility to say so and ask to stay where she was. You can't be forced to do something.

Let me ask you this, are you an ATPL? Do you fly for a major airline? If you did, how many hours did you have when you started flying for a major?

I hope it was 2500 and that you had to pay every single one of them out of your own pocket and actually worked hard to through it.

I started flying regionals when I was 21 with 800 hours but that was because I flew multiple light G/As for other people, and I can tell you that I probably flew by hand more than the captains I flew with. Training is different now days, if you wanted to fly at 1500/2000 hours, then good for ya. But most people don't need that many. If you're a shitty pilot that actually needs those hours to be able to properly fly a plane under all circumstances, then you probably shouldn't be a pilot.

DeltaRules

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Redwood839 wrote:
goboeing wrote:
PDX88 wrote:

2200 hours.

Need I say more?

Then it's her professional responsibility to say so and ask to stay where she was. You can't be forced to do something.

Let me ask you this, are you an ATPL? Do you fly for a major airline? If you did, how many hours did you have when you started flying for a major?

I hope it was 2500 and that you had to pay every single one of them out of your own pocket and actually worked hard to through it.

I started flying regionals when I was 21 with 800 hours but that was because I flew multiple light G/As for other people, and I can tell you that I probably flew by hand more than the captains I flew with. Training is different now days, if you wanted to fly at 1500/2000 hours, then good for ya. But most people don't need that many. If you're a shitty pilot that actually needs those hours to be able to properly fly a plane under all circumstances, then you probably shouldn't be a pilot.

I agree wholeheartedly. Colgan's crew had 1800 and 700 hours beyond 1500 to get it right and still blew it. The Comair crew that missed multiple cues and ran a CRJ off the runway at LEX had 4000 and 6000TT respectively. Training, not time.

There's no reason for 1500 beyond a media-hungry Senator looking for a quick solution trying to win votes and fool people into thinking he's made a difference. Tie Sully's stamp of approval in and John Q. Public doesn't know any differently and doesn't care. It's a feel-good law. The only benefit to Sully's ongoing campaign is that it raised salaries at regionals, which I've always wondered was the true motivation for the law but wasn't a sexy enough headline. Don't get me wrong, regional salaries were pathetic (and why I got out of the career path) and needed brought up, but is misleading the public the way to do it?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

highflier92660

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

apodino wrote:
Jeff Skiles is currently an FO on the 787 for American. He was on the 330 for USAirways during the merger but moved to the 787 after the fences came down.

Jeff Skiles must be in his late fifties now so likely he may retire as a Boeing 787 first officer. His post-airline career affords a lot of opportunity on the lecture circuit and as a contributing aviation writer.

ckfred

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:53 pm

You also have to remember that Sully went into commercial aviation, when the vast majority of commercial pilots were ex-military. A friend of mine started at AA in 1989, and pretty much every captain he flew with for the first few years had done at least two tours of duty in the Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps. Several of the captains he flew with regularly had flown combat missions in Vietnam.

B777LRF

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

If she'd had 2200 hours as a FO on the type and didn't feel ready for the upgrade, that's one thing. Having 2200 hours in total, of which 2000 could have been flying an assortment of bugsmashers, is quite another.

This side of the pond just about every LCC, including Ryanair and Easy, and legacy carrier put 200 hour ab-initio kids in the RHS of 737s and A320s, and they regularly upgrade them after 4 years/3500 hours. This has been going on for many years now, and safety wise it has had the sum total impact of zero, telling you all you need to know about the ineffective 1500 hour rule.

The reason you crash an airworthy modern turboprop lies not in total hours, but in airline training and a rostering/basing system that doesn't warrant commuting and crash pads. The latter, which works, would cost involve large costs for the airlines, whilst the former, which doesn't, places the burden solely on the individual pilot. That's the power airline lobbyism explained very simply.
Signature. You just read one.

Randy41018

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm

sgbroimp wrote:

I’d rather be a high seniority FO than a low seniority CA.

Canuck600

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the airline pilot that writes the articles in Flying magazine is Les Abend.

deltadc9

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I saw an episode of American Pickers where the guys go to an aviation museum and Skiles greets them and gives them a tour. They didn't know who he was until the told them he was the guy in the other seat. He is involved in that museum and seemed to be really in to it. They were in Oshkosh WI
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm going to be a bit critical and anal, but there is something bothering about this thread, all the way from the OP's title to other comments.

The man's name is not "Sully". It's Sullenberger, Mr. Sullenberger, Captain Sullenberger, or maybe Chesley Sullenberger.

We aren't his buddy who may call him by his nickname. He successfully ditched an A320. He deserves more respect than having complete strangers call him a nickname that maybe only his close friends do (if anyone even calls him that).

Would you like strangers referring to you as Smitty, Beefcakes, Clown, Jonesy, or whatever only your closest personal friends may call you? Let's show some respect to others.

Etheereal

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

32andBelow wrote:
goboeing wrote:
A310 wrote:

Fatigue?

Wake up people!

No if you can demonstrate you can pass a rigouriius training, sim and IOE program you should be a pilot. The pic in this case failed a bunch of checkrides. That’s on the trainers not on hard working safe pilots that now need to go 200k in debt to work.

Dont forget to thank the banks that you're allowed to breathe at all . Im amazed there's not HUGE costs associated with high school, or else americans would be even more in debted. lol

Its okay, everyone in any "high" end career needs to mortgage even their own organs.

A310
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 pm

goboeing wrote:
A310 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Fatigue?

Wake up people!

I think you got me wrong. I am against the 1500- hour rule for new hire FOs. However, I don´t think pilots with as little as 2000, or even 3000 flying hours should be Captains of Airliners. And yes, better training would have made wonders. Not only in this accident but also in a number of others. Also, i think it should be more acceptable for pilots to take days off when they feel ill, or too tired for safe flight operations.
Last edited by A310 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A310
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I'm going to be a bit critical and anal, but there is something bothering about this thread, all the way from the OP's title to other comments.

The man's name is not "Sully". It's Sullenberger, Mr. Sullenberger, Captain Sullenberger, or maybe Chesley Sullenberger.

We aren't his buddy who may call him by his nickname. He successfully ditched an A320. He deserves more respect than having complete strangers call him a nickname that maybe only his close friends do (if anyone even calls him that).

Would you like strangers referring to you as Smitty, Beefcakes, Clown, Jonesy, or whatever only your closest personal friends may call you? Let's show some respect for others.

Well, there has been made a movie called Sully, it is common to use it in popular speech, and he even uses it on his Twitter account, so I guess he is okay with it ;)

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

A310 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Would you like strangers referring to you as Smitty, Beefcakes, Clown, Jonesy, or whatever only your closest personal friends may call you? Let's show some respect for others.

Well, there has been made a movie called Sully, it is common to use it in popular speech, and he even uses it on his Twitter account, so I guess he is okay with it ;)

Fair. If he invites the public to call him that then I stand down on my previous comments.

A310
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
A310 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Fair. If he invites the public to call him that then I stand down on my previous comments.

Haha okay ;)
He seems to be a very nice and humble man. The same goes for Skiles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos