ei a330-200
Topic Author

Frontier Announces Lafayette, LA (LFT) to DEN & MCO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Frontier announced this morning it’ll be commencing twice weekly service between LFT and MCO & DEN. Flights begin October 24, 2018, and will overate Wednesdays and Sundays. Just checked their website, fares are currently starting at $49 each way for for non Deal-Den members and $44 each way for members.

http://www.katc.com/story/38611140/frontier-airlines-announces-direct-flights-to-orlando-denver-from-lft

mtnwest1979

Re: Frontier Announces Lafayette, LA (LFT) to DEN & MCO

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Well Lafayette is a shock to me. Good for them (LFT) and hope they do well enough to stay.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Wow, good for LFT. Between G4 and F9, these smaller cities really should appreciate the extra options.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ScottB

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm

ei a330-200 wrote:
Frontier announced this morning it’ll be commencing twice weekly service between LFT and MCO & DEN.

LFT-MCO will probably do well. I think LFT-DEN will be near-empty, though. There's about 20 PDEW demand, but I suspect a lot of that is business traffic and twice-weekly doesn't really work in that segment.

flyguy84

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Someone must of had a few drinks before pulling out the dart board. This won’t last long.
SFO

astaz

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Didn’t UA used to do LFT-DEN on an EV 145? Don’t remember that being super packed.

FA9295

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm

ScottB wrote:
ei a330-200 wrote:
Frontier announced this morning it’ll be commencing twice weekly service between LFT and MCO & DEN.

LFT-MCO will probably do well. I think LFT-DEN will be near-empty, though. There's about 20 PDEW demand, but I suspect a lot of that is business traffic and twice-weekly doesn't really work in that segment.

I think that business traffic in general, will try to avoid ULCC airlines, like Frontier, as much as possible.
Last edited by FA9295 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm

I actually travel to LFT and will probably use this service if it is cheap enough. MSP to LFT is usually $500+.

Brandon757

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm

I would have thought it Frontier was going to add service to a new city in LA it would have been SHV. LFT just seems weird.

SurfandSnow

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm

I figured we might see F9 give BTR another try, but LFT is truly shocking! What's next, JAN?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

ei a330-200
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:16 pm

astaz wrote:
Didn’t UA used to do LFT-DEN on an EV 145? Don’t remember that being super packed.

Yep, service lasted like 1.5 years, or so.

ei a330-200
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 pm

ScottB wrote:
ei a330-200 wrote:

Something tells me DEN is to connect to the rest of the Frontier network, and definitely not O&D. Just a guess ;-)

knope2001

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Obviously Frontier believes there is a whole lot of traffic which spills to other airports and more than can be stimulated at a place like LFT.

My take on this is that Frontier chose LFT over BTR because Baton Rouge is just too close to New Orleans -- too many people will put up with very little inconvenience or price difference at BTR before they reflexively book MSY an hour away. But Lafayette is two hours from MSY, plus Lake Charles (an hour from Lafayette) is even more remote. There's more potential for people to put up with a 2x/week schedule for leisure travel to avoid the slog to MSY or IAH/HOU.

Obviously we'll see if they can retain enough spill and/or stimulate enough new traffic to fill a couple of flights per week. Kind of similar to Alligiant on Grand Island to Vegas, a market of nil local traffic until a twice-weekly nonstop came in. Enough people put up with the schedule to avoid the drive to Omaha and/or took a flying vacation to LAS instead of what they would have done instead with their time. Of course Denver isn't the year-round tourism draw that Vegas is, but there are more people in the Lafayette and Lake Charles area to potentially draw from than central Nebraska.

Interesting to watch, if nothing else... :-)

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
Someone must of had a few drinks before pulling out the dart board. This won’t last long.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

rajincajun01

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
I would have thought it Frontier was going to add service to a new city in LA it would have been SHV. LFT just seems weird.

United just upgraded SHV-DEN to a E175 and G4 does Orlando from SHV.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

mariner

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm

FA9295 wrote:
I think that business traffic in general, will try to avoid ULCC airlines, like Frontier, as much as possible.

Well, thank goodness. Frontier isn't made for business travellers. They are a leisure airline, with the emphasis on leisure.

mariner
aeternum nauta

braniff2hav

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Brandon757 wrote:

United just upgraded SHV-DEN to a E175 and G4 does Orlando from SHV.

That equipment changes with the wind. It's back to CRJ already. Now, they do the E175 between SHV and IAH on a few departures. The SHV DEN had been the E175 for a while.

LightningZ71

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 pm

LFT is at least centrally located in Louisiana. At the meeting of I-49 and I-10, it's an hour away from BTR, Lake Charles and Alexandria. Now, none of those are economic powerhouses, but, it's a decent size area to keep a small jet at least somewhat full with cheap enough fares. You aren't going to find a lot of people that are west of Baton Rouge that are willing to deal with the traffic of the Baton Rouge I-10 corridor to get to BTR or MSY unless it's the only option that they have. That barrier should help LFT put decent numbers of people on that plane.

Frontier14

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 pm

United just upgraded SHV-DEN to a E175 and G4 does Orlando from SHV.[/quote]

The UAL CEO is committed in trying to minimize any new F9 service impact from its' DEN hub. UA has of recent consistently responded with equipment upgrades to any Frontier entrances from their hubs. The jury is certainly out on whether these routes will ultimately prove productive.

Frontier 14

spinkid

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 pm

ScottB wrote:
ei a330-200 wrote:

Lots of connecting traffic in DEN that people will make use of. Also, there are things you can buy in Colorado that are legal there, but not in most states :)

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 am

2x weekly to MCO and DEN should do fine out of LFT. I'm sure people in Acadiana will be happy to avoid the slog over to MSY to catch a flight to MCO or DEN.

msycajun

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 am

Other posters have touched upon this already, but it's not that surprising of an add to me. Most LCH area travelers use IAH/HOU and this could pull from that. LFT tends to go to either Houston or MSY if not using the local airport, but the BTR area heavily favors MSY (MSY is actually not much longer of a drive than BTR for the wealthier southeastern area of the metro). Plus there is a ton of construction on I-10 right now and more to come.

IIRC UA was very expensive when it ran LFT-DEN. I was always surprised to hear how many people in the area vacationed in Colorado, so I think there is a market. However being Wed/Sat, it's not exactly set up for success.

ei a330-200
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:59 pm

msycajun wrote:
Other posters have touched upon this already, but it's not that surprising of an add to me. Most LCH area travelers use IAH/HOU and this could pull from that. LFT tends to go to either Houston or MSY if not using the local airport, but the BTR area heavily favors MSY (MSY is actually not much longer of a drive than BTR for the wealthier southeastern area of the metro). Plus there is a ton of construction on I-10 right now and more to come.

IIRC UA was very expensive when it ran LFT-DEN. I was always surprised to hear how many people in the area vacationed in Colorado, so I think there is a market. However being Wed/Sat, it's not exactly set up for success.

Living in and working at LFT, I was always led to believe that the majority of customers on LFT-DEN under the UA Express carrier (AX when I worked it) connected on to the Dakotas and the northern oil fields. It seemed to be discontinued right around the oil slump.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

It's markets like this that has me wondering "what If they had taken" those Republic CS100s.

freakyrat

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:07 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
It's markets like this that has me wondering "what If they had taken" those Republic CS100s.

They used to fly SBN-DEN three times a week with a 133 seat Airbus A319. They started in October and flew till the following September. January and February were their worst months, however from March until they quit the routwe they were averaging 118 passengers or more per flight. The route was originally supposed to be flown daily with Republic E190 jets. That didn't happen. Still they flew just slightly less than 22,000 passengers both ways on 189 flights. Now if they would have operated this with Republic CS100's they would have made huge profits at a better operating margins. I wouldn't necessarily cut F9 out of the market for CS100 jets once they develop a cohesive strategy going forward instead of throwing darts at a dartboard. They may even rehub Denver once the tyerminal expansion is complete.

freakyrat

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

F9 seems to be spreadimg themselves fairly thin as far as aircraft and crews go and it shows in their maintenance write ups and the number of aircraft that are out of service for heavy checks etc. Crew scheduling is also taking a beating.

freakyrat

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:30 pm

ei a330-200 wrote:
astaz wrote:

Yep, service lasted like 1.5 years, or so.

That was during the shale oil boom to connect oilfield workers from LFT to ISN (Williston, ND). United also had EV flights from ISN-IAH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos