Cointrin330

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:43 am

zululima wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Am flying SFO-SYD on QF in November and wondering if anyone would know if this route is usually served by a 747-400(ER) and if the QF74 service is generally featuring the A380 interior style?

I'm in the same boat, but doing SYD-SFO, specifically to get an ER while I can. Now that OJT is gone the odds are better, at least until the next retirement. A few months ago it was an even 1-1 split of ER birds, but has lately come up to 2-1 or so. 19 of the last 28 have been ERs, with every QF 744 touching SFO at least once in that span.

You can see the fleet's activities by route, plane type, etc at The QANTAS Source:
http://theqantassource.com/routetracker.html

This is great. Thank you!

Cointrin330

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:43 am

HM7 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Am flying SFO-SYD on QF in November and wondering if anyone would know if this route is usually served by a 747-400(ER) and if the QF74 service is generally featuring the A380 interior style?

It will very likely have A380 interior style, as VH-OEB is the only bird with the old interior and she usually serves JNB/SCL/NRT. However, it could go either way with the ER vs RR aircraft

Thanks very much.

vorellanaj

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:21 am

jfk777 wrote:
vorellanaj wrote:
No data of retirement about specific aircraft could be retrieved.

First, Qantas will retire the sole oddball 747 configured (OEB , ex-OZ , could be perfectly this year), then the 3 RR-powered last standard 747-438 and finally the 6 -ER.

I think withdrawn dates could be accelerated or postponed , depending :
    787-9 delivery schedule
    fuel prices
    360 minute ETOPS approval from CASA to Australian registered aircraft. Quads must be used to Johannesburg and Santiago. If CASA denied ETOPS 360, maybe Qantas would be switch 747 to A380 to those routes. Santiago airport can't handle A380 ops today but to end 2020 could be a different story.

I don't like 747 retirement (I love unique design of this aircraft), but I think Qantas plans retire them with a bit of life remaining (BA plans retirement in 2024 but BA 747 are all older than QF 747 (not counting oddball)

IF LATAM can fly 787 to Sydney why would Qantas have to fly A380 to Santiago ? Qantas should fly a 787 too. Qantas will fly a twin of some type depending what the future fleet plan is which could include an A350 or 777. Doubtful that a quad would fly it South America and South Africa as they would be too big,

QF 787 are not flying under ETOPS-360 rules. CASA doesn't approve it yet. CASA rules are more strict than FAA and EASA rules. DGAC (Chilean authority) follows FAA rules.

Do you remember VA 77W case on SYD-JNB route?
The aviation world will be bored if only twins fly with commercial passengers. I love 747s

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos