Page 1 of 2

QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:25 pm
by HM7
As many know, Qantas has marked 2020 as the final year for their 747s. This is both an historic and significant date as the Qantas 747 is an aviation icon that holds a special place in many people’s hearts. I created this thread to gather and share information about their retirement and the Qantas 747 generally. Any dates/info about specific aircraft would be greatly appreciated. Also feel free to share any stories you have with this incredible aircraft.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:56 pm
by vorellanaj
No data of retirement about specific aircraft could be retrieved.

First, Qantas will retire the sole oddball 747 configured (OEB , ex-OZ , could be perfectly this year), then the 3 RR-powered last standard 747-438 and finally the 6 -ER.

I think withdrawn dates could be accelerated or postponed , depending :
    787-9 delivery schedule
    fuel prices
    360 minute ETOPS approval from CASA to Australian registered aircraft. Quads must be used to Johannesburg and Santiago. If CASA denied ETOPS 360, maybe Qantas would be switch 747 to A380 to those routes. Santiago airport can't handle A380 ops today but to end 2020 could be a different story.

I don't like 747 retirement (I love unique design of this aircraft), but I think Qantas plans retire them with a bit of life remaining (BA plans retirement in 2024 but BA 747 are all older than QF 747 (not counting oddball)

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 pm
by HM7
Aircraft

747-48E
VH-OEB - 1993 (with Qantas 1998) - Old interior (14F/52J/32W/255Y) - Phillip Island - Retirement ?

747-438
VH-OJS - 1999 - A380 interior (58J/36W/270Y) - Hamilton Island - Retirement ?
VH-OJT - 1999 - A380 interior (58J/36W/270Y) - Fraser Island - Retirement ?
VH-OJU - 2000 - A380 interior (58J/36W/270Y) - Lord Howe Island - Retirement ?

747-438ER
VH-OEE - 2002 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Nullabor - Retirement 2020
VH-OEF - 2002 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Sydney - Retirement 2020
VH-OEG - 2002 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Parkes - Retirement 2020
VH-OEH - 2003 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Hervey Bay - Retirement 2020
VH-OEI - 2003 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Ceduna - Retirement 2020
VH-OEJ - 2003 - A380 interior (Boeing sky cabin) (58J/36W/270Y) - Wunula (wore “Wunala Dreaming” livery 2003-2011) - Retirement 2020

For more info: http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747/aust747index.html

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:05 pm
by flyingclrs727
So what will happen to the the 747-438ER's? Would a P2F conversion be worthwhile?

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:55 pm
by HM7
vorellanaj wrote:
No data of retirement about specific aircraft could be retrieved.

First, Qantas will retire the sole oddball 747 configured (OEB , ex-OZ , could be perfectly this year), then the 3 RR-powered last standard 747-438 and finally the 6 -ER.

I think withdrawn dates could be accelerated or postponed , depending :
    787-9 delivery schedule
    fuel prices
    360 minute ETOPS approval from CASA to Australian registered aircraft. Quads must be used to Johannesburg and Santiago. If CASA denied ETOPS 360, maybe Qantas would be switch 747 to A380 to those routes. Santiago airport can't handle A380 ops today but to end 2020 could be a different story.

I don't like 747 retirement (I love unique design of this aircraft), but I think Qantas plans retire them with a bit of life remaining (BA plans retirement in 2024 but BA 747 are all older than QF 747 (not counting oddball)

Yeah the ERs will be 17 or 18, which is not that old at all. Average 747 life is around 25 right?

Is there any chance that CASA will deny ETOPS approval? I would think not, but I don’t know.

I don’t think Santiago will upgrade just for QF, so if no ETOPS QF will be in tricky situation

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:19 pm
by HM7
USA Routes

QF11 SYD-LAX (End Nov 27) - Tue - Depart 9:35 - Arrive 6:20 - Duration 13:45
QF 12 LAX-SYD (End Nov 27) - Tue - Depart 22:30 - Arrive 6:30** - Duration 15:00

QF11 LAX-JFK (End Aug 31) - Daily - Depart 8:20 - Arrive 16:40 - Duration 5:20
QF12 JFK-LAX (End Aug 31) - Daily - Depart 18:10 - Arrive 21:00 - Duration 5:50

QF15 BNE-LAX (End Aug 31) - Daily - Depart 10:10 - Arrive 6:00 - Duration 12:50
QF16 LAX-BNE (End Aug 31) - Daily - Depart 23:20 - Arrive 6:05** - Duration 13:45

QF55 BNE-LAX (Start Sept 1, end Nov 10) - Sat, Mon, Thu - Depart 17:50 - Arrive 13:30 - Duration 12:40
QF56 LAX-BNE (Start Sept 1, end Nov 10) - Sat, Tue, Thu - Depart 22:15 - Arrive 5:00** - Duration 13:45

QF73 SYD-SFO - Daily (Except Tue) - Depart 13:45 - Arrive 9:05 - Duration 13:20
QF74 SFO-SYD - Daily (Except Tue) - Depart 22:45 - Arrive 7:25** - Duration 14:40

Notes
In current time (no daylight savings)
* - One day later
** - Two days later

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 pm
by HM7
Other International Routes

QF25 SYD-HND - Daily - Depart 20:50 - Arrive 5:15* - Duration 9:25
QF26 HND-SYD - Daily - Depart 22:00 - Arrive 8:30* - Duration 9:30

QF27 SYD-SCL - Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri - Depart 12:35 - Arrive 11:10 - Duration 12:35
QF28 SCL-SYD - Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri - Depart 13:30 - Arrive 17:50* - Duration 14:20

QF63 SYD-JNB - Daily - Depart 10:55 - Arrive 17:00 - 14:05
QF64 JNB-SYD - Daily - Depart 19:10 - Arrive 14:55* - 11:05

QF75 SYD-YVR (End Sept 1) - Mon, Thu, Sat - Depart 17:00 - Arrive 14:05 - Duration 14:05
QF76 YVR-SYD (End Sept 1) - Mon, Thu, Sat - Depart 22:25 - Arrive 6:30** - Duration 15:05

QF127 SYD-HKG (Start Aug 17, End Dec 12) - Daily - Depart 10:35 - Arrive 18:00 - Duration 9:25
QF128 HKG-SYD (Start Aug 17, End Dec 12) - Daily - Depart 20:00 - Arrive 6:55* - Duration 8:55

Notes
In current time (no daylight savings)
* - One day later
** - Two days later

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:47 pm
by HM7
Does anyone know when syd-hnl and syd-per starts with the 747?

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:28 pm
by HM7
flyingclrs727 wrote:
So what will happen to the the 747-438ER's? Would a P2F conversion be worthwhile?


Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:48 pm
by flyingclrs727
HM7 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
So what will happen to the the 747-438ER's? Would a P2F conversion be worthwhile?


Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F


But that was 17 years of service on transpacific routes which decreases cycles. They sat for hours during the day at LAX waiting to take passengers back to Australia at night. Being the ER version, they have the heavy duty landing gears used by the freighter version. It also has the same MTOW and MLW as the 747-400ERF.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 pm
by HM7
flyingclrs727 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
So what will happen to the the 747-438ER's? Would a P2F conversion be worthwhile?


Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F


But that was 17 years of service on transpacific routes which decreases cycles. They sat for hours during the day at LAX waiting to take passengers back to Australia at night. Being the ER version, they have the heavy duty landing gears used by the freighter version. It also has the same MTOW and MLW as the 747-400ERF.


Interesting about the landing gears, I never knew they were different

The problem is that, at least in the last 6 years or so, the 747 has been continuing on to JFK, adding another two cycles each day and minimizing tine on the ground

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 pm
by flyingclrs727
HM7 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
HM7 wrote:

Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F


But that was 17 years of service on transpacific routes which decreases cycles. They sat for hours during the day at LAX waiting to take passengers back to Australia at night. Being the ER version, they have the heavy duty landing gears used by the freighter version. It also has the same MTOW and MLW as the 747-400ERF.


Interesting about the landing gears, I never knew they were different

The problem is that, at least in the last 6 years or so, the 747 has been continuing on to JFK, adding another two cycles each day and minimizing tine on the ground



All they need is a D check performed along with a freighter conversion. Freight airlines keep pulling freighters out of the desert, these 438ER's would be ideal candidates for conversion, especially if they could all be converted to the same specs. Considering some early DC-10's continued flying for well over 4 decades, I can't see why these planes couldn't work for at least another couple of decades.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:57 pm
by ZK-NBT
I’m no expert but the extra weight could work against these aircraft? It’s the cost of conversion and they will need a D check aswell. The last conversions were last year OZ converted 3 Combis so they already had the SCD installed.

I may be wrong but hopefully a charter operator of some sort might pick them up, but again D checks will be required.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 pm
by tullamarine
ZK-NBT wrote:
I’m no expert but the extra weight could work against these aircraft? It’s the cost of conversion and they will need a D check aswell. The last conversions were last year OZ converted 3 Combis so they already had the SCD installed.

I may be wrong but hopefully a charter operator of some sort might pick them up, but again D checks will be required.

The world is about to be awash with 77Ws coming off lease to be replaced by 779s or A35Js; charter operators will be much more attracted to these than 744s.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:01 pm
by ZK-NBT
tullamarine wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
I’m no expert but the extra weight could work against these aircraft? It’s the cost of conversion and they will need a D check aswell. The last conversions were last year OZ converted 3 Combis so they already had the SCD installed.

I may be wrong but hopefully a charter operator of some sort might pick them up, but again D checks will be required.

The world is about to be awash with 77Ws coming off lease to be replaced by 779s or A35Js; charter operators will be much more attracted to these than 744s.


Yes true. Sadly these 6 odd ball 744ERs may not fly again once QF is done I feel even though they aren’t that old, plenty of others have gone that way some even younger.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 am
by Gasman
I've just done SYD-JFK return on them, and they are starting to feel a bit shabby. The Skybed product is now decidedly yesteryear, as is the 2-3-2 J config. I'd love to see them around for another decade; but only if that included a total cabin refit.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:20 am
by HM7
Gasman wrote:
I've just done SYD-JFK return on them, and they are starting to feel a bit shabby. The Skybed product is now decidedly yesteryear, as is the 2-3-2 J config. I'd love to see them around for another decade; but only if that included a total cabin refit.

I agree they do feel a tad outdated compared to the dreamliner, but I just can’t get over the sheer size of the cabin. The walls are decidely more vertical than those of the dreamliner and the ceilings are higher than the a380’s.

Also the overhead bins of the boeing sky interior on the ERs are really well done.
Image

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 am
by Gasman
HM7 wrote:
I just can’t get over the sheer size of the cabin. The walls are decidely more vertical than those of the dreamliner and the ceilings are higher than the a380’s.

Also the overhead bins of the boeing sky interior on the ERs are really well done.
Image

Completely agree. And don't get me started on the 747/777 interior comparison.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 am
by EGTESkyGod
Slightly off topic, but with a tenuous link... With one Qantas 747 already retired to HARS at Albion Park near Wollongong and John Travolta's Qantas 707 to follow suit (apparently sometime this year, cannot find more details of that), what museums either here in Australia or around the world would want a QF 747? I can't imagine too many places outside of Australia would given how common 747's are around the world. Here in Australia there is also a 747 at Longreach, but what other museums could get one? Is there a demand for it or would they rather mothball/sell/scrap the types?

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 am
by cpd
EGTESkyGod wrote:
Slightly off topic, but with a tenuous link... With one Qantas 747 already retired to HARS at Albion Park near Wollongong and John Travolta's Qantas 707 to follow suit (apparently sometime this year, cannot find more details of that), what museums either here in Australia or around the world would want a QF 747? I can't imagine too many places outside of Australia would given how common 747's are around the world. Here in Australia there is also a 747 at Longreach, but what other museums could get one? Is there a demand for it or would they rather mothball/sell/scrap the types?


I wonder if some place like Duxford would like a 747-438/ER. Thinking of OEJ repainted back into the proper Wunala colour scheme or even with a modernised version of it (new Kangaroo and new logo-type). Surely there would be demand to see something iconic like that.

Heck, people visit a shabby old Concorde sitting on top of a barge. :duck:

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:12 am
by RyanairGuru
HM7 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
HM7 wrote:

Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F


But that was 17 years of service on transpacific routes which decreases cycles. They sat for hours during the day at LAX waiting to take passengers back to Australia at night. Being the ER version, they have the heavy duty landing gears used by the freighter version. It also has the same MTOW and MLW as the 747-400ERF.


Interesting about the landing gears, I never knew they were different

The problem is that, at least in the last 6 years or so, the 747 has been continuing on to JFK, adding another two cycles each day and minimizing tine on the ground


Even with a daily LAX-JFK-LAX rotation, as well the proposed SYD-PER-SYD rotations, these aircraft are still very low cycle for their age.

Global freighter demand is still fairly suppressed and eventually spares will become more challenging for the 747, but there is absolutely no reason why these frames can’t fly for another 20 years if someone is willing to pay for them.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 am
by hongkongflyer
What will replace 744 for the Qantas antarctica sightseeing flights after retirement?

Really want to fly once, ideally on a 744.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 am
by EGTESkyGod
cpd wrote:
I wonder if some place like Duxford would like a 747-438/ER. Thinking of OEJ repainted back into the proper Wunala colour scheme or even with a modernised version of it (new Kangaroo and new logo-type). Surely there would be demand to see something iconic like that.


Maybe, but they'd probably prefer to take a BA one when they retire I'd say?

cpd wrote:
Heck, people visit a shabby old Concorde sitting on top of a barge. :duck:


**Shoulders arms, leaves that through to the keeper! ;)

hongkongflyer wrote:
What will replace 744 for the Qantas antarctica sightseeing flights after retirement?


I may be wrong but I think they already do those with the A380 anyway...

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 am
by aemoreira1981
Why would Australia be so opposed to ETOPS 360 or even ETOPS 330, when almost everyone else in the world has it? LATAM (via AKL) uses the much smaller B788 on a similar route. If this is approved, I see most B789 options being exercised, although this will give QF a huge gap between the B789 and the A388.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:39 am
by TN486
^^ still the 747's. ^^

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 am
by moa999
aemoreira1981 wrote:
If this is approved, I see most B789 options being exercised, although this will give QF a huge gap between the B789 and the A388.

See Project Sunrise which will be an order for 777s or 350 with delivery targeted for 2022.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 am
by Spacepope
flyingclrs727 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
So what will happen to the the 747-438ER's? Would a P2F conversion be worthwhile?


Likely not, as 17 years of service might be too much to justify the cost of a P2F


But that was 17 years of service on transpacific routes which decreases cycles. They sat for hours during the day at LAX waiting to take passengers back to Australia at night. Being the ER version, they have the heavy duty landing gears used by the freighter version. It also has the same MTOW and MLW as the 747-400ERF.

The more likely scenario is that the gears will be prime to be gobbled up on the spares market by the -ERF fleet. Engines too.

Nobody is going to pay for the STC for that tiny conversion pool. In fact I doubt any 744 will be converted to a freighter ever again. If I'm wrong, I owe you a beer.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:05 am
by BlueSky1976
HM7 wrote:

Also the overhead bins of the boeing sky interior on the ERs are really well done.
Image


I think you're confusing sky interior with "signature" interior, which Boeing introduced on the 777-200 and later adapted to the 737 NG family, 767-400 and which passenger 747-400ERs have. Sky interior wasn't introduced until after the 787.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am
by NinjaT
It will be a sad day and of course Qantas used to be an all 747 airline. My first ever flight was on VH-EBA - City of Canberra, in November 1973. London to Sydney via Rome, Bahrain and Singapore.

Happy days !

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:56 am
by VapourTrails
HM7 wrote:
As many know, Qantas has marked 2020 as the final year for their 747s. This is both an historic and significant date as the Qantas 747 is an aviation icon that holds a special place in many people’s hearts. I created this thread to gather and share information about their retirement and the Qantas 747 generally. Any dates/info about specific aircraft would be greatly appreciated. Also feel free to share any stories you have with this incredible aircraft.


Thanks for setting up the separate thread here. :thumbsup:

hongkongflyer wrote:
What will replace 744 for the Qantas Antarctica sightseeing flights after retirement? Really want to fly once, ideally on a 744.


They are still using the 744 for these flights, as I am booked to go on one and I specifically asked that question at the time. I am not sure what will replace them. My guess is the 789? Make that A380.

I am wondering, is there a designated number of 744ER’s - I assume ER - that they use for these flights, and is there anything they need to do to the aircraft that makes this route different in preparation? I know QF28 eg. may be considered a similar perhaps?

As for stories, I plan to do a trip report for my 744 experience, and it’ll be like a farewell rather than the flight itself, or both really!

I’ve only ever flown on the Queen of the Skies once before and that was a 742 with an international carrier.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am
by oldannyboy
Gasman wrote:
I've just done SYD-JFK return on them, and they are starting to feel a bit shabby. The Skybed product is now decidedly yesteryear, as is the 2-3-2 J config. I'd love to see them around for another decade; but only if that included a total cabin refit.


Yeah, I agree *to some extent*... I confess I am not the greatest fan of those narrow, walled-in, J-class 'coffins'.. I feel they are very claustrophobic.. Sometimes I just prefer the old, wide, spacious recliners...and never mind about direct aisle access..

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:17 pm
by hongkongflyer
VapourTrails wrote:
HM7 wrote:
As many know, Qantas has marked 2020 as the final year for their 747s. This is both an historic and significant date as the Qantas 747 is an aviation icon that holds a special place in many people’s hearts. I created this thread to gather and share information about their retirement and the Qantas 747 generally. Any dates/info about specific aircraft would be greatly appreciated. Also feel free to share any stories you have with this incredible aircraft.


Thanks for setting up the separate thread here. :thumbsup:

hongkongflyer wrote:
What will replace 744 for the Qantas Antarctica sightseeing flights after retirement? Really want to fly once, ideally on a 744.


They are still using the 744 for these flights, as I am booked to go on one and I specifically asked that question at the time. I am not sure what will replace them. My guess is the 789? Make that A380.

I am wondering, is there a designated number of 744ER’s - I assume ER - that they use for these flights, and is there anything they need to do to the aircraft that makes this route different in preparation? I know QF28 eg. may be considered a similar perhaps?

As for stories, I plan to do a trip report for my 744 experience, and it’ll be like a farewell rather than the flight itself, or both really!

I’ve only ever flown on the Queen of the Skies once before and that was a 742 with an international carrier.


380 seems too much for the flight haha.... I really don't want to look at the view via 787's high tech window haha

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 am
by VapourTrails
hongkongflyer wrote:
380 seems too much for the flight haha.... I really don't want to look at the view via 787's high tech window haha

Yes, I see your point. I thought that initially, but then I read one of the posts up-thread and I am not sure whether the 787 would be approved on that route, being a twin engine. Yeah, I am not sure how the view of the frozen continent would look through the 787 windows. I’ve yet to experience a flight on one so I am still just imagining it, even in the first instance!

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 am
by vhtje
HM7 wrote:
Also the overhead bins of the boeing sky interior on the ERs are really well done.


Did any other 747, aside from QF’s 747-438ERs, get the 777-style interior?

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 am
by Block40Osan
vhtje wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Also the overhead bins of the boeing sky interior on the ERs are really well done.


Did any other 747, aside from QF’s 747-438ERs, get the 777-style interior?


IIRC, the very last four 744s at China Airlines (B-18210/18211/18212/18215) has exactly the same one.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am
by qf002
vhtje wrote:
Did any other 747, aside from QF’s 747-438ERs, get the 777-style interior?


Three non-ERs at QF (OJS/T/U, same frames that got the A380 seats) and I think CI also has it on some of their later aircraft which were delivered around the same time as the QF ERs. Not sure if there are any others.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 am
by RyanairGuru
I didn’t realise OJS/T/U received the Signature interior? I honestly thought they had the classic 747 cabin interior.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 am
by qf002
RyanairGuru wrote:
I didn’t realise OJS/T/U received the Signature interior? I honestly thought they had the classic 747 cabin interior.


I flew on OJU and OJS a few years and they have definitely been updated. Thinking about it though I’m not sure it’s the full 777 interior from the ERs but it’s pretty close (ie the bins were all curved, new sidewalls etc).

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am
by B744ever
OJS/T/U were delivered with the standard 744 interior, which was later upgraded to a more rounded look when the cabins were upgraded to A380 standard around 2012-2013. There are a few recent cabin shots floating around online and you can see that it's not quite the same as the 744ER's signature interior but pretty similar.

I think Air India also fitted the same cabin upgrade package to their 744s too.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am
by RyanairGuru
Ahh, OK so it’s one of those after market knockoffs, similar to what some airlines have fitted on the 767. That’s makes sense.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 pm
by HM7
VH-OJT has just completed her last commercial flight as QF55 into LAX. This brings the Qantas 747 fleet down to 9 (6 ER’s, JS, JU, EB). Notably, JT was the first QF747 with the “new” A380 configuration to be retired (VH-OEB, the only 747 with the old first class configuration, still remains in the fleet). JT was an RR powered bird, and her retirement leaves the older VH-OJS and younger VH-OJU as the only RR birds left. JT is also the third 747 in the 2007 livery to be retired, after VH-OJM (r. 2017) and VH-OJO (r. 2012). Sad day to see her go.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:51 am
by jfk777
vorellanaj wrote:
No data of retirement about specific aircraft could be retrieved.

First, Qantas will retire the sole oddball 747 configured (OEB , ex-OZ , could be perfectly this year), then the 3 RR-powered last standard 747-438 and finally the 6 -ER.

I think withdrawn dates could be accelerated or postponed , depending :
    787-9 delivery schedule
    fuel prices
    360 minute ETOPS approval from CASA to Australian registered aircraft. Quads must be used to Johannesburg and Santiago. If CASA denied ETOPS 360, maybe Qantas would be switch 747 to A380 to those routes. Santiago airport can't handle A380 ops today but to end 2020 could be a different story.

I don't like 747 retirement (I love unique design of this aircraft), but I think Qantas plans retire them with a bit of life remaining (BA plans retirement in 2024 but BA 747 are all older than QF 747 (not counting oddball)


IF LATAM can fly 787 to Sydney why would Qantas have to fly A380 to Santiago ? Qantas should fly a 787 too. Qantas will fly a twin of some type depending what the future fleet plan is which could include an A350 or 777. Doubtful that a quad would fly it South America and South Africa as they would be too big,

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:52 am
by aemoreira1981
HM7 wrote:
VH-OJT has just completed her last commercial flight as QF55 into LAX. This brings the Qantas 747 fleet down to 9 (6 ER’s, JS, JU, EB). Notably, JT was the first QF747 with the “new” A380 configuration to be retired (VH-OEB, the only 747 with the old first class configuration, still remains in the fleet). JT was an RR powered bird, and her retirement leaves the older VH-OJS and younger VH-OJU as the only RR birds left. JT is also the third 747 in the 2007 livery to be retired, after VH-OJM (r. 2017) and VH-OJO (r. 2012). Sad day to see her go.


Wait...no return flight to Australia for equipment recovery? That's odd.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:00 am
by eta unknown
Seems to be standard operating procedure for QF whenever they retire a 744... it flies a revenue service to LAX, then does a short hop to VCV same day or day after and pilots bussed back to LAX. A return service to Australia is cancelled that night, but there are so many QF flights the pax are re-accommodated onto others.

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:40 am
by smi0006
HM7 wrote:
VH-OJT has just completed her last commercial flight as QF55 into LAX. This brings the Qantas 747 fleet down to 9 (6 ER’s, JS, JU, EB). Notably, JT was the first QF747 with the “new” A380 configuration to be retired (VH-OEB, the only 747 with the old first class configuration, still remains in the fleet). JT was an RR powered bird, and her retirement leaves the older VH-OJS and younger VH-OJU as the only RR birds left. JT is also the third 747 in the 2007 livery to be retired, after VH-OJM (r. 2017) and VH-OJO (r. 2012). Sad day to see her go.


I wonder why they retired OJT before OJB, must be some maintainence due. OJBs days must be numbered, must be a pain to manage the single unique config, not to mention poor crew managing the pax expectations with a Slybed mark 1! Along with the two oddball 332s.

I still wouldn’t be surprised to see the 6ERs hang around a bit longer. A new cabin refit maybe pushing it, but I would have thought they would have still offered some value to SCL, JNB, And even HND where competition is minimal. Fingers crossed anyway! Otherwise I see a significant 789 order coming!

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 am
by VirginFlyer
qf002 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
I didn’t realise OJS/T/U received the Signature interior? I honestly thought they had the classic 747 cabin interior.


I flew on OJU and OJS a few years and they have definitely been updated. Thinking about it though I’m not sure it’s the full 777 interior from the ERs but it’s pretty close (ie the bins were all curved, new sidewalls etc).


B744ever wrote:
OJS/T/U were delivered with the standard 744 interior, which was later upgraded to a more rounded look when the cabins were upgraded to A380 standard around 2012-2013. There are a few recent cabin shots floating around online and you can see that it's not quite the same as the 744ER's signature interior but pretty similar.

I think Air India also fitted the same cabin upgrade package to their 744s too.

Here we go, the original -400 interior, the modified one, and the signature interior on the -400ER:



V/F

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm
by Cointrin330
Am flying SFO-SYD on QF in November and wondering if anyone would know if this route is usually served by a 747-400(ER) and if the QF74 service is generally featuring the A380 interior style?

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm
by zululima
Cointrin330 wrote:
Am flying SFO-SYD on QF in November and wondering if anyone would know if this route is usually served by a 747-400(ER) and if the QF74 service is generally featuring the A380 interior style?


I'm in the same boat, but doing SYD-SFO, specifically to get an ER while I can. Now that OJT is gone the odds are better, at least until the next retirement. A few months ago it was an even 1-1 split of ER birds, but has lately come up to 2-1 or so. 19 of the last 28 have been ERs, with every QF 744 touching SFO at least once in that span.

You can see the fleet's activities by route, plane type, etc at The QANTAS Source:
http://theqantassource.com/routetracker.html

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 pm
by HM7
Cointrin330 wrote:
Am flying SFO-SYD on QF in November and wondering if anyone would know if this route is usually served by a 747-400(ER) and if the QF74 service is generally featuring the A380 interior style?

It will very likely have A380 interior style, as VH-OEB is the only bird with the old interior and she usually serves JNB/SCL/NRT. However, it could go either way with the ER vs RR aircraft

Re: QF 747 Retirement

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:32 pm
by qf789
VH-OJT has had its QF markings painted over and will make her last flight tomorrow to the desert

Image

https://twitter.com/BLGranucci/status/1 ... 8101227520