xwb777
Topic Author
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm

The top 10 airlines for 2018:

1. Singapore Airlines
2. Qatar Airways
3. ANA
4. Emirates
5. EVA
6. Cathay Pacific
7. Lufthansa
8. Hainan
9. Garuda Indonesia
10. Thai Airways

Etihad did not make it to the top 10 list. They are in the 15th place.


Source: https://www.worldairlineawards.com/worl ... ines-2018/
 
User avatar
Erebus
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:40 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:54 pm

When was the last time a US airline made it into the top 10?
 
xwb777
Topic Author
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Erebus wrote:
When was the last time a US airline made it into the top 10?



I can't recall seeing them in the top 10!

37. Delta Airlines
71. American
88. United
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1836
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm surprised to see LH up there tbh.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
ahj2000
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 pm

With the exception of Lufthansa's score, they all actually look reasonable.
Why LH is suddenly a 5-star, #7 airline is beyond me...
-Andrés Juánez
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Air Canada holding steady @ 30, last year 29 but still beat all US carriers, BA and Westjet. Guess it will earn Best North American carrier again.
 
User avatar
Keith2004
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
With the exception of Lufthansa's score, they all actually look reasonable.
Why LH is suddenly a 5-star, #7 airline is beyond me...


Apparently the main reason for them being 5 star is their upcoming business class product, to be released on 777. It looks like it will be nice but quite absurd to rate an airline for a product not yet in service. Another nail in the coffin of Skytrax having any credibility :roll:

https://skytraxratings.com/lufthansa-is-certified-as-a-5-star-airline

A key factor behind Lufthansa gaining 5-Star Airline Certification is the recently announced new business class cabin and seat that will be delivered when the airline receives their first Boeing 777X aircraft.
:confused:
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2650
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 pm

CX falling from 5th to 6th place. A certain HK newspaper would love that so that they can continue to used the headline "Cathay Pacific, due to mismanagement and having its ranking on Best Airline in the World continuing to fall, ..." :stirthepot: :stirthepot: (Anyone from Hong Kong would know what I'm talking about :scratchchin: ).

On a side note, is JL's service really THAT much worse than NH's? JL is still only in 13th place while NH is in 3rd. Nice to see CZ climbed quite a bit (23rd to 14th), though, as they're definitely the best of the CN3, and definitely way better than MU (76th) and CA (93rd, below Japanese LCC in Peach and UK leisure airline in Jet2 :rotfl: ).

Another side note, they have to make BA above Norwegian, don't they :scratchchin:
 
Kadish
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Erebus wrote:
When was the last time a US airline made it into the top 10?


When was the last time they pay for it?
 
Philippine747
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I am quite curious to where the "pay to get the star" comes from. I understand the Hainan Airlines example, but I want to see other examples if ever....
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE
 
KL001
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

What is so special about Bangkok Airways that they rank 21st? Looks like nothing special to me.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7070
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
I am quite curious to where the "pay to get the star" comes from. I understand the Hainan Airlines example, but I want to see other examples if ever....


There were investigations by authorities on the alleged edits of bad passenger reviews of paid customers.

A few years back, Etihad is known to have refused to participate in this survey because it is too much to pay for all its partners.

Allegedly, this list is a product based on revenue inflow, backed by enough review edits to match the list, good enough for CNN viewership. Again, the keyword is alleged
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5685
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:28 pm

and Norwegian is:

World's Best Long Haul Low-Cost Airlines 2018

and

Best Low-Cost Airlines in Europe 2018

4th year in a row ...
 
HeeseokKoo
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

This "Airline of the year in 2010" went all the way down to 24 this year: Asiana. Surprisingly it's still higher than Korean Air.
5 (2008) 3 (2009) 1 (2010) 3 (2011) 2 (2012) 5 (2013) 8 (2014) 11 (2015) 16 (2016) 20 (2017) 24 (2018)
 
sixtyseven
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:36 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Air Canada holding steady @ 30, last year 29 but still beat all US carriers, BA and Westjet. Guess it will earn Best North American carrier again.


They did
Stand-by for new ATIS message......
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Kadish wrote:
Erebus wrote:
When was the last time a US airline made it into the top 10?


When was the last time they pay for it?

I am surprised it is not Aeroflot, Air China or Air Koryo winning each year then?

zakuivcustom wrote:
CX falling from 5th to 6th place. A certain HK newspaper would love that so that they can continue to used the headline "Cathay Pacific, due to mismanagement and having its ranking on Best Airline in the World continuing to fall, ..." :stirthepot: :stirthepot: (Anyone from Hong Kong would know what I'm talking about :scratchchin::

Eva better than CX? Has that ever happened before?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)
 
J343
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm

ANA 3rd place..really? I have flown their Y product and I must say, it was one of the worst, if not the worst! Very narrow and uncomfortable. Very shoked to see CX falling down the rankings, they have always been the best airline I have ever flown with, their Y product is possibly the most comfortable I have ever been on.i found SQ's Y product to be very uncomfortable.

Also, Asiana Airlines.. do they really deserve 5× rating?
 
dredgy
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

J343 wrote:
ANA 3rd place..really? I have flown their Y product and I must say, it was one of the worst, if not the worst! Very narrow and uncomfortable. Very shoked to see CX falling down the rankings, they have always been the best airline I have ever flown with, their Y product is possibly the most comfortable I have ever been on.i found SQ's Y product to be very uncomfortable.

Also, Asiana Airlines.. do they really deserve 5× rating?


I really don't think economy class factors into it much, and is based on premium cabins.
I've flown J in all except ANA & Garuda so my opinions:
  • Lufthansa deserves it's position based on consistency alone. While I've never had an exceptional Lufthansa flight, I've never had a bad one either. They're a good benchmark, and well-above average in terms of service. The fact they're as efficient as they are when the consistently have like 100+ J seats filled on an A380 is nothing short of remarkable...
  • Flew Hainan yesterday on their A330-200 and on the -300 tomorrow. The -200 seats were average, but the service was hands down the best I've ever experienced. 6 course meal, fully explained by the chef & with paired wines.
  • Thai is a worthy addition to the list. They (along with Korean Air) have been on my "most underrated airline" list for years.
  • EVA is great, but China Airlines is fast catching up.
  • Qatar is overrated as all hell. The hard product on some planes is very nice, and service is usually great, but the weird fleet mix makes for a striking inconsistency where you can end up flying for 6 hours on a narrow-body with a seat that doesn't recline fully.
 
bmacleod
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:10 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 pm

xwb777 wrote:
The top 10 airlines for 2018:

1. Singapore Airlines
2. Qatar Airways
3. ANA
4. Emirates
5. EVA
6. Cathay Pacific
7. Lufthansa
8. Hainan
9. Garuda Indonesia
10. Thai Airways

Etihad did not make it to the top 10 list. They are in the 15th place.

Source: https://www.worldairlineawards.com/worl ... ines-2018/


Interesting to note half of airlines in Top 10 are in Star Alliance.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus
 
bmacleod
Posts: 2990
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 3:10 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
Air Canada holding steady @ 30, last year 29 but still beat all US carriers, BA and Westjet. Guess it will earn Best North American carrier again.


They did


Got to hand it to AC - despite all the challenges they've faced including just recently the Aeroplan incident https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/aeroplan-members-targeted-in-phishing-scam-1.4016301 they still beat out DL and WS.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6511
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Ryanair would have been listed as #1, but the cheque got lost in the post. :rotfl:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
J343
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm

dredgy wrote:
J343 wrote:
ANA 3rd place..really? I have flown their Y product and I must say, it was one of the worst, if not the worst! Very narrow and uncomfortable. Very shoked to see CX falling down the rankings, they have always been the best airline I have ever flown with, their Y product is possibly the most comfortable I have ever been on.i found SQ's Y product to be very uncomfortable.

Also, Asiana Airlines.. do they really deserve 5× rating?


I really don't think economy class factors into it much, and is based on premium cabins.
I've flown J in all except ANA & Garuda so my opinions:
  • Lufthansa deserves it's position based on consistency alone. While I've never had an exceptional Lufthansa flight, I've never had a bad one either. They're a good benchmark, and well-above average in terms of service. The fact they're as efficient as they are when the consistently have like 100+ J seats filled on an A380 is nothing short of remarkable...
  • Flew Hainan yesterday on their A330-200 and on the -300 tomorrow. The -200 seats were average, but the service was hands down the best I've ever experienced. 6 course meal, fully explained by the chef & with paired wines.
  • Thai is a worthy addition to the list. They (along with Korean Air) have been on my "most underrated airline" list for years.
  • EVA is great, but China Airlines is fast catching up.
  • Qatar is overrated as all hell. The hard product on some planes is very nice, and service is usually great, but the weird fleet mix makes for a striking inconsistency where you can end up flying for 6 hours on a narrow-body with a seat that doesn't recline fully.


Yes obviously Y doesn't factor everything. I have flown J with most myself- mainly with oneworld airlines though as most of my trips are 50%J and 50%Y
- Yes, I agree. Qatar Airways is overrated as hell. Hard product is very nice and service is usually great but catering is awful. I avoid their B788 at all cost. Flew Y once and never again.
- EVA. Haven't flown with them myself but the extended family has and have some good stuff to say about them. China Airlines is indeed catching up.
- Lufthansa in my opinion definitely deserves its place. I haven't had a flight with them which I would say was outstanding but service was very consistent. Much more than BA-IB and AF-KL.
- Thai, yes they are worthy. Korean Air much more than Asiana Airlines. Another airline I'd say who deserves 5 star rating is Qantas. J product might not be the best but service in J, PEY and Y had been excellent.
- Have flown with SQ in J at leazt 3 times and whislt the hard product is nice, service can be a bit of a hit and miss and I also foind it veru difficult to sleep in them as the padding is a little hard and the foot space is too cramped. Compared with CX in J and F, I found their service to be very consistent with an outstanding hard F and J products. The only thing where CX really falls is catering. Its also quite shocking that SQ's lounges are rated higher than CX. Have experience both and I must say CX has the best alongside QF lounges in LHR, HKG and SIN.

I may be a little biased because I am a oneworld loyalist and fly mostly with CX and QF but I occassionally fly with others too, recently SQ, ANA and Asiana. I have yet to try BR.
 
CantbeGrounded
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Hand it to Singapore - Best Airport and Best Airline.

Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

I suppose Etihad's financial difficulties prohibit them from buying a place in the top 10 this year.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
DWC
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:53 pm

We all know Skytrax is skewed & biased if paid for.
I have not flown ANA, but I have all the others, including, JAL, TG & LH : if LH is on any list, JAL should be higher still.
Otherwise put, in my experience all 10 best Airlines in the world are Asian, regardless of the order therein.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm

When I last flew with SQ, they didn't even have individual screens at each seat, but their service was just about average. Nothing good to brag about. So I think they are overrated.
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

CantbeGrounded wrote:
Hand it to Singapore - Best Airport and Best Airline.

Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.

Thank you. Despite Singapore's reputation, this is actually the first time both airline and airport are #1 in skytrax concurrently.

There is indeed a survey online. Always wondered how they filtered out non-travellers who could simply lie their way through the profile section...if they even bothered to do so.

Ziyulu wrote:
When I last flew with SQ, they didn't even have individual screens at each seat, but their service was just about average. Nothing good to brag about. So I think they are overrated.

That situation does not exist on any SQ plane unless there is a tech issue. I suppose you cant differentiate an MI or Scoot plane from SQ's? No wonder SQ decided to merge MI back in!
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7070
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:24 pm

CantbeGrounded wrote:
...
Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.


This must be the joke of the day. Reviews and posts can be deleted or edited on agenda editors' discretion.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 pm

huaiwei wrote:
CantbeGrounded wrote:
Hand it to Singapore - Best Airport and Best Airline.

Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.

Thank you. Despite Singapore's reputation, this is actually the first time both airline and airport are #1 in skytrax concurrently.

There is indeed a survey online. Always wondered how they filtered out non-travellers who could simply lie their way through the profile section...if they even bothered to do so.

Ziyulu wrote:
When I last flew with SQ, they didn't even have individual screens at each seat, but their service was just about average. Nothing good to brag about. So I think they are overrated.

That situation does not exist on any SQ plane unless there is a tech issue. I suppose you cant differentiate an MI or Scoot plane from SQ's? No wonder SQ decided to merge MI back in!


No, it was a regular scheduled flight, but it was also several years ago on a 744.
 
Casablanca
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:52 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 pm

All of the airlines in the top 10 do one thing better.....service
If you are on most business class airlines with 20 seats they will probably have 4-6 people doing service
Yesterday I flew first class on Delta 757, granted Domestic and only a 2:30 flight, but they had 1 person doing service.
She barely had time to serve all 20, no refills etc, kind of neglected everyone, albeit not her fault just understaffed.
Same flight in Singapore one would have been much happier getting off plane 2 hours later.
 
Kadish
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

huaiwei wrote:
Kadish wrote:
Erebus wrote:
When was the last time a US airline made it into the top 10?


When was the last time they pay for it?

I am surprised it is not Aeroflot, Air China or Air Koryo winning each year then?

zakuivcustom wrote:
CX falling from 5th to 6th place. A certain HK newspaper would love that so that they can continue to used the headline "Cathay Pacific, due to mismanagement and having its ranking on Best Airline in the World continuing to fall, ..." :stirthepot: :stirthepot: (Anyone from Hong Kong would know what I'm talking about :scratchchin::

Eva better than CX? Has that ever happened before?


Sure...or Ryanair...If u have flown many Airlines u would notice the joke these awards are
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2650
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 pm

huaiwei wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
CX falling from 5th to 6th place. A certain HK newspaper would love that so that they can continue to used the headline "Cathay Pacific, due to mismanagement and having its ranking on Best Airline in the World continuing to fall, ..." :stirthepot: :stirthepot: (Anyone from Hong Kong would know what I'm talking about :scratchchin::

Eva better than CX? Has that ever happened before?


On one hand, EVA is definitely a pleasure to fly with. On the other hand, I really don't know if there's THAT much difference between being #5 and #6 (I treat Skytrax like US News College Rankings anyway, where the difference between #4-#10 or so are just not that big).

Now, dropping from #8 to #15, like EY, does mean something. Of course, EY doesn't have the money to pay Skytrax to bump their ranking up :white:

Kadish wrote:
Sure...or Ryanair...If u have flown many Airlines u would notice the joke these awards are


Just b/c even Ryanair do better than AA and UA?
 
amax1977
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:34 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm

I cannot understand what LH is doing on the top 10 list. TK is better than LH in all measures and not listed.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
No, it was a regular scheduled flight, but it was also several years ago on a 744.


SQ made its last flight with the 744 a bit over six years ago, in April 2012. While I can understand that even at that point in time the lack of personal video would have been disappointing on a long-haul aircraft, basing your entire perception of the airline on it would be a bit like me basing my impression of Qantas entirely upon one experience aboard one of the B734s they inherited from TAA.
 
devron
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 pm

KL001 wrote:
What is so special about Bangkok Airways that they rank 21st? Looks like nothing special to me.


Lounge access for all passengers?
 
User avatar
Irehdna
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Surprised BA is higher than KE. Thought BA was going to slide to around 50 this year.
 
Nami
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm

amax1977 wrote:
I cannot understand what LH is doing on the top 10 list. TK is better than LH in all measures and not listed.


That's because TK decided to pull out of Skytrax last month. Last year LH held the same position in the ranking while TK was 12th.
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:11 pm

bmacleod wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
Air Canada holding steady @ 30, last year 29 but still beat all US carriers, BA and Westjet. Guess it will earn Best North American carrier again.


They did


Got to hand it to AC - despite all the challenges they've faced including just recently the Aeroplan incident https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/aeroplan-members-targeted-in-phishing-scam-1.4016301 they still beat out DL and WS.


Seeing that AC is ditching it's partnership with Aeroplan next year and spun it off years ago, I think most of the Canadian public can separate AC and Aeroplan these days so not too much collateral damage with this incident is suspect.
 
CantbeGrounded
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:43 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
CantbeGrounded wrote:
...
Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.


This must be the joke of the day. Reviews and posts can be deleted or edited on agenda editors' discretion.


I don't see the evidence this is happening, though. For the most part, everyone agrees the winners are the winners. Why aren't that terrible airlines and airports on the top of this list? Is SQ buying their way to the top or earning it? I get it's not transparent, but I don't see the 'oh we all know' graft going on.
 
CantbeGrounded
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 pm

amax1977 wrote:
I cannot understand what LH is doing on the top 10 list. TK is better than LH in all measures and not listed.


They are listed. TK is right there at #18 .
 
Nami
Posts: 463
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 am

CantbeGrounded wrote:
Nami wrote:
amax1977 wrote:
I cannot understand what LH is doing on the top 10 list. TK is better than LH in all measures and not listed.

That's because TK decided to pull out of Skytrax last month. Last year LH held the same position in the ranking while TK was 12th.

They are listed. TK is right there at #18.

So it seems. I guess it's safe to assume their withdrawal will be apparent in next year's list. Although Skytrax's credibility is what it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see TK return after a few years much like EY did.

Personally I would like to see more carriers take a distance from Skytrax.
 
infinit
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:52 am

I've heard some allegations that the Skytrax methodology isn't fair. Not sure about that but I'm glad to see Singapore Airlines at the top after 9 years.

Over the last decade, LCC competiton has grown exponentially in Southeast Asia and the ME3 have been offerin much more competitive fares in this region than any of the Southeast Asian carriers can offer. But SQ has consistently innovated to stay profitable like introducing new cabin products every few years.

They have cut back on some perks but still offer a top notch product. One of the cut-backs recently is you have to pay for seat selection on the lowest tier Economy fares. But those fares are comparable to LCC prices anyhow.

Ziyulu wrote:
huaiwei wrote:
CantbeGrounded wrote:
Hand it to Singapore - Best Airport and Best Airline.

Skytrax awards are based on reviews, so you can't decline to participate. It's not a survey.

Thank you. Despite Singapore's reputation, this is actually the first time both airline and airport are #1 in skytrax concurrently.

There is indeed a survey online. Always wondered how they filtered out non-travellers who could simply lie their way through the profile section...if they even bothered to do so.

Ziyulu wrote:
When I last flew with SQ, they didn't even have individual screens at each seat, but their service was just about average. Nothing good to brag about. So I think they are overrated.

That situation does not exist on any SQ plane unless there is a tech issue. I suppose you cant differentiate an MI or Scoot plane from SQ's? No wonder SQ decided to merge MI back in!


No, it was a regular scheduled flight, but it was also several years ago on a 744.


SQ's final 747 flight was in 2012.
And their 747s have had individual screens in Economy from 2000.
You are basing your review of the airline from your experience over 18 years ago :roll: :roll: :roll:
And SQ invests heavily in its hardware. They've introduced new seats in 2013 for their longhaul fleet after extensive research with BMW Designworks and a whole new product for their shorthaul fleet last year.
 
timtam
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 am

I had an interesting experience with this survey in the past.

I was flying Singapore Airlines on two legs from Australian to Europe. On the first leg the level of service was outstanding. There were loads of staff on the flight, the catering was excellent and they were regularly offering extras. It was the best service I have experienced on a flight. Later in the flight, I was handed the survey form and gave Singapore Airlines a glowing review.

Next leg, the complete opposite,. The staff have disappeared and they seem badly understaffed. After being spoilt in the first leg, the second leg was one of the worst service experiences I have had on a flight. Obviously there was no survey form in that leg of the flight and I would have given Singapore Airlines quite a different review.
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
On a side note, is JL's service really THAT much worse than NH's? JL is still only in 13th place while NH is in 3rd. N

Well, at least JL is a 5-star airline now
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 am

XAM2175 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
No, it was a regular scheduled flight, but it was also several years ago on a 744.


SQ made its last flight with the 744 a bit over six years ago, in April 2012. While I can understand that even at that point in time the lack of personal video would have been disappointing on a long-haul aircraft, basing your entire perception of the airline on it would be a bit like me basing my impression of Qantas entirely upon one experience aboard one of the B734s they inherited from TAA.


I also flew with MH around the same time, they also did not have individual screens, but their service was a lot better than SQ. I generally don't base my reviews based on entertainment; my main focus is on food. On a flight from SIN to KUL on SQ, you only get a cup of juice. On MH, you get a drink and snacks.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4271
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 am

What is behind the collapse in OZ's rating in recent years? That's what I find most interesting about results.

I am surprised that KE and TG aren't higher, to be honest - I agree with others who say they're underrated.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 am

devron wrote:
KL001 wrote:
What is so special about Bangkok Airways that they rank 21st? Looks like nothing special to me.


Lounge access for all passengers?

they are a great little boutique airline, with superb service levels, go try them out one day!
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2650
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:53 am

idp5601 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
On a side note, is JL's service really THAT much worse than NH's? JL is still only in 13th place while NH is in 3rd. N

Well, at least JL is a 5-star airline now


I guess I just find NH overrated, while JL, at least on paper, offered a better product than NH (I haven't fly with JL recently, only NH). And you just can't beat 8-abrest 787. :white:
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 am

This years list looks reasonable! SQ is a fantastic airline and QR is as well. The rest of the top 10 are all excellent although I've never flown on EVA, ANA or Garuda before.
Also glad to see EY out of the top 10 as their onboard product has really deteriorated in the past year.
 
User avatar
AirIndia
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:43 am

Re: Skytrax: Airline of the year is 'Singapore Airlines'

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 am

timtam wrote:
I had an interesting experience with this survey in the past.

I was flying Singapore Airlines on two legs from Australian to Europe. On the first leg the level of service was outstanding. There were loads of staff on the flight, the catering was excellent and they were regularly offering extras. It was the best service I have experienced on a flight. Later in the flight, I was handed the survey form and gave Singapore Airlines a glowing review.

Next leg, the complete opposite,. The staff have disappeared and they seem badly understaffed. After being spoilt in the first leg, the second leg was one of the worst service experiences I have had on a flight. Obviously there was no survey form in that leg of the flight and I would have given Singapore Airlines quite a different review.

Hey thats an interesting story. was the survey given to you a Skytrax one or SQ's internal survey?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos