Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Adria announces opening of Paderborn base

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Adria will open a base at Paderborn from late October with flights to SEN,VIE and ZRH:

http://aeronauticsonline.com/adria-airw ... paderborn/

Your thoughts? I'm quite surprised. Does Paderborn really have the demand for these extra services? What companies are located in the vicinity of Paderborn?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

PanHAM

Re: Adria announces opening of Paderborn base

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 am

One thinks that they have done they have done their home work. PAD is in the eastern part of Northrine-Westphalia which has a lot of industry. The freason for the first line Service to MUC was Nixdorf Computers whiich I believe is Siemens today. Other cities in the area are Guetersloh and Bielefeld plus smaller places. The catchment area is well over a Million. Industry names are Claas, Bertelsmann, Miele, Benteler Steel, just to mention a few
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

8herveg

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 am

But why Adria? Seems a bit random. I can’t imagine many people both in Paderborn and in SEN, VIE and ZRH thinking to book with them. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

SCQ83

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:58 am

8herveg wrote:
But why Adria? Seems a bit random. I can’t imagine many people both in Paderborn and in SEN, VIE and ZRH thinking to book with them. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

Adria is a Lufthansa partner. I imagine those ZRH/VIE services will connect with Swiss/Austrian network, in addition to the local traffic.

As for SEN, it will be the only London service from PAD.

oldannyboy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am

Wishing them the best of luck, however Paderborn-Lippstadt seems a tad..err..exotic really... Not sure the story of the big catchment area will help filling those CRJs...
Or maybe it's JP just looking around and desperately trying to find more meaningful business?

konkret

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am

Why not Adria? Most of frequent fliers from PAD, VIE, ZRH will be happy to fly on an airline which is a member of *A/M&M. Adria’s good relationship with LH group means there will probably be codeshares and opportunities for connections in VIE/ZRH.

Could Adria find its niche in DACH offering services similar to what Flybe is doing in UK?
(They are already flying from SCN for Luxair, there were plans for flights from BRN).
In such scenario what could be their bases? BRE? FKB? FMO? FDH? RLG?

ErwinFCG

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 am

I think this is a similar situation as Estonian airline Nordica that based a CRJ at Groningen Airport (GRQ) in the Netherlands. Nordica (operated by LOT) now flies twice daily to Copenhagen and daily to Munich, along with some additional weekly holiday flights to Nice and Ibiza. So just as with Adria in Paderborn it is a 'random' airline in an 'exotic' place (i.e. not very large city). In Groningen it seems to work, especially for business travellers as it avoids the 200 km trip to Amsterdam airport. Similarly in Paderborn it may avoid the 150 km trip to Hannover.

A difference however may be that Paderborn already has daily Lufthansa flights to Frankfurt and Munich, so there is already a connection to European and global networks. For Groningen the Nordica flights were the first link to major airports with connection options (on Star Alliance).

Lilienthal

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am

lesfalls wrote:
with flights to SEN,VIE and ZRH

Seems like a measure to filter some business traffic out of the overladen DUS catchment straight into LH Group's yet unserved main hubs, since DUS is and will be even more so oriented towards leisure traffic.

ua900

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:44 am

ErwinFCG wrote:
I think this is a similar situation as Estonian airline Nordica that based a CRJ at Groningen Airport (GRQ) in the Netherlands. Nordica (operated by LOT) now flies twice daily to Copenhagen and daily to Munich, along with some additional weekly holiday flights to Nice and Ibiza. So just as with Adria in Paderborn it is a 'random' airline in an 'exotic' place (i.e. not very large city). In Groningen it seems to work, especially for business travellers as it avoids the 200 km trip to Amsterdam airport. Similarly in Paderborn it may avoid the 150 km trip to Hannover.

Quite right, and initially Adria operated the Nordica flights.
2020: AMS | ATL | BRU | DAL | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TPA | TXL

konkret

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Nordica's Groningen flights have LO flight numbers but are operated by bmi regional not LOT.

JWKIII

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

Not quite sure if there are many automotive suppliers around PAD, but I know that some years ago Ford was looking for a corporate shuttle to Cologne and Kosice from London Southend (SEN). So maybe that's also a reason for SEN (not just Ford, but probably some other companies requiring a link to this part of Germany). Could imagine that SEN offers a nice mix of tourists and business passengers. In addition PAD and FMO are in an area where one has to drive at least 90 minutes (including traffic) to the next major airport. So if you have the right partners (e.g. LH/*A), there should be enough demand from this area. And even more from PAD than from FMO as there are some sizeable Mittelstand companies around PAD.

SCQ83

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:48 pm

JWKIII wrote:
Not quite sure if there are many automotive suppliers around PAD, but I know that some years ago Ford was looking for a corporate shuttle to Cologne and Kosice from London Southend (SEN). So maybe that's also a reason for SEN (not just Ford, but probably some other companies requiring a link to this part of Germany). Could imagine that SEN offers a nice mix of tourists and business passengers. In addition PAD and FMO are in an area where one has to drive at least 90 minutes (including traffic) to the next major airport. So if you have the right partners (e.g. LH/*A), there should be enough demand from this area. And even more from PAD than from FMO as there are some sizeable Mittelstand companies around PAD.

FlyBe already operates SEN-CGN.

I don't think SEN has nothing to do with Ford. It is just a first London connection for PAD, so I guess "anything" goes. On the other hand, flying a Saab, LHR and LGW would be out of question; LCY probably too expensive... so it ends up with STN, LTN and SEN. SEN is not "worse" than any other of the two potential options. SEN seems to be very active trying to attract new carriers other than easyJet/FlyBe; such as Air Malta and Ryanair lately.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:09 pm

8herveg wrote:

Zurich and Vienna are feeder flights for Swiss and Austrian. Most likely the Lufthansa group wanted these routes operated and were looking for a regional airline to operate them. That turned out to be Adria. To fill the leftover time on the aircraft they added a third destination, London. Southend seems like a logical choice because it's the only London airport that isn't slot restricted so quite suitable for an "expiriment" like this.

devron

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Where do these saabs come from?

awwdabaaby

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Original Darwin which then became Etihad Regional and then Adria Switzerland

devron

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Ah yes can remember that. But these planes didn't fly for adria in the mean time did they? I can't see any flying on flight radar.

JayBCNLON

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 am

I have flown many times into both PAD and SEN. SEN is a really convenient alternative London airport, my favorite indeed. Literally 10 minutes from plane to train. PAD serves T Systems in Bielefeld, Bertelsmann in Gütersloh and British troops are stationed there too. If you can connect to A* with limited capacity I would say: it will work :)

Blerg

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 am

Adria already tried this once before but in Poland. They got subsidies from the city authorities and I think they flew into MUC and AMS. Flights didn't last long and were suspended the moment subsidies ran out.

Don't forget that besides Star Alliance membership, JP doesn't offer much. They tend to be quite expensive and their onboard service consists of a free bottle of water and a buy onboard product. As for Vienna, let's hope they can get enough corporate travellers as I am sure O&D will be flying on Wizz Air from nearby DTM (80 km away).

factsonly

Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 am

konkret wrote:
Nordica's Groningen flights have LO flight numbers but are operated by bmi regional not LOT.

Incorrect, Nordica's Groningen flights are operated by Nordica CRJ's with LO flight numbers.

Aircraft are exchanged through the TLL-CPH-GRQ connection.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos