Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific Hints At New US City Update: Confirms HKG-SEA

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am

On Cathay’s Instagram story, they have a crossword puzzle with a list of US cities on it.

The following cities are Las Vegas, Austin, Miami, Houston, Salt Lake City, Honolulu, Seattle, Denver, and Dallas.

Thought?
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

717atOGG

Re: Cathay Pacific Hints At New US City

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 am

I think the most likely candidates are IAH, DFW, and SEA, with MIA and DEN being outside possibilities. At first, I thought LAS could be an option but with Macau being so close to Hong Kong, I doubt it.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

Sean-SAN-

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:17 am

Vegas or Miami is the most logical. Austin, they don't have the correct airframe. IAH is already covered internationally. SLC has failed for Delta so I doubt CX would try. HNL is ULCC. SEA eats into YVR and already has HKA. Denver, low O/D and operational issues. Dallas already has AA.

CarlosSi

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 am

Can't imagine Cathay going to half of those cities, it's probably just that; a crossword puzzle.

But, for some reason Seattle sticks out as a possible contender, I wonder why :scratchchin:

And why isn't Detroit on the list ;) ?
Last edited by CarlosSi on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
Vegas or Miami is the most logical. Austin, they don't have the correct airframe. IAH is already covered internationally. SLC has failed for Delta so I doubt CX would try. HNL is ULCC. SEA eats into YVR and already has HKA. Denver, low O/D and operational issues. Dallas already has AA.

SLC didn’t fail for DL from what I understand. They just didn’t have the right airplane. I bet DL or one of its partners could make one well placed SLC-Asia flight work with a 787-8.

TransWorldOne

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:23 am

With DL leaving HKG, this would be the perfect time for CX to start SEA.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:33 am

Miami wrote:
On Cathay’s Instagram story, they have a crossword puzzle with a list of US cities on it.

The following cities are Las Vegas, Austin, Miami, Houston, Salt Lake City, Honolulu, Seattle, Denver, and Dallas.

Thought?

Did that Instagram story state that CX was adding a new city or are you making up a false rumor because they happened to have had a cross word puzzle?

c933103

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:36 am

which instagram account?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

Miami
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Miami wrote:

Thought?

Did that Instagram story state that CX was adding a new city or are you making up a false rumor because they happened to have had a cross word puzzle?

Look it up for yourself. It literally says at the end “where are we going next?”
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

neomax

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:50 am

1. Las Vegas-No
2. Austin-No way
3. Miami-Strong chance
4. Houston-Strong chance
5. Salt Lake City-No way in hell
6. Honolulu-???
7. Seattle-Too close to YVR
8. Denver-Bigger fish out there
9. Dallas-Plausible but unlikely

neomax

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:02 am

downdata wrote:
What? Are you suggesting people travelling from Asia to SEA should disembark at YVR? Should people also travel to Pyongyang to get to Seoul or Paris to get to London?

I don’t believe CX is an opportunistic airline that was waiting for DL to cut HKG. However, I could be completely wrong and maybe that’s exactly what they plan on doing.

downdata

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 am

neomax wrote:

What? Are you suggesting people travelling from Asia to SEA should disembark at YVR? Should people also travel to Pyongyang to get to Seoul or Paris to get to London?

flyingclrs727

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 am

AUS? Austin isn't big enough. It's also not a One World hub.

DFW? AA already has its own flight from DFW to HKG. Is there enough traffic to justify another daily nonstop?

MIA has no flights to Asia yet. It's also a One World hub with lots of connections to South America. On the other hand, it's a long way from HKG.

IAH is a Star Alliance not One World hub, and it already has several daily flights to Asia.

SEA is interesting. While its a Sky team hub, AS could support a CX flight with feed. SEA is well positioned to connect the US southeast which is the furthest region in the US from Asia via AS code shares. The main negative is that it is not far from YVR in Canada which it already serves.

HNL? Hawaii is a small state with notoriously low yielding flights. Would there be any demand for CX's high end first class?

SLC? That's an awfully small city that has a DL hub. Why would DL provide feed for a non Sky Team airline?

DEN? UA is Star Alliance and isn't about to feed CX. They don't even cooperate with lots of other Star Alliance airlines, why cooperate with a Sky Trax top 10 airline that isn't Star Alliance?

LAS? Why? Its notorious for low yield flights. BA and VS fly their from their LGW leisure gateway. Why go to Las Vegas to gamble when Macau is close to Hong Kong?

I'm leaning to SEA, because its well positioned in the US geographically to provide flights to Asia. It also has an airline that could provide feed.
Last edited by flyingclrs727 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delta757MD88

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:31 am

SEA seems to have the most logical Answer with the AS codeshares, as well as DL pulling the HKG flight.

HNL would seem right geographically, but is there demand?

LAS could work, but I just don't see it happening, why go all the way to Vegas when you could just go to Macau?

MIA would be a huge step for CX and MIA, but is it really plausible?

Overall SEA is my pick.
Last edited by Delta757MD88 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flown on: MD-88/90 DC-9 717 737-7/8/900, 757-2/300, 767-3/400 777-200/300ER 787-9, E145/170/175, CRJ-100/200/700/900, A319/320 A333 A350 Q300/400.

c933103

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 am

HNL have limited connection to SE Asia which Cathay might be able to tap into but I don't think there's much demand. And other HNL flights to China seems to be underperforming too.

neomax

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 am

I'm personally putting my money on Houston. It'll probably end up being Seattle, could also be Miami. But if it's not those two, it will be IAH no two ways about it.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am

downdata wrote:
neomax wrote:

Seattle and Vancouver are three hours apart if no traffic and border crossing delays. I always think this is a fallacy that just brcause an airline serves one city 3 hours away, everyone is going to drive up there to catch a flight. They are two different markets.

c933103

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
downdata wrote:
neomax wrote:

Seattle and Vancouver are three hours apart if no traffic and border crossing delays. I always think this is a fallacy that just brcause an airline serves one city 3 hours away, everyone is going to drive up there to catch a flight. They are two different markets.

Airlines do use airports like HGH as an alternative to PVG. Or using JHB as an alternative to SIN.

AirAfreak

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
downdata wrote:
neomax wrote:

Too close, huh? CX flies nonstop to Hong Kong from Newark Airport and Kennedy Airport, for example.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

downdata

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 am

c933103 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
downdata wrote:

Airlines do use airports like HGH as an alternative to PVG. Or using JHB as an alternative to SIN.

Joburg is pretty far away as an alternative to Singapore. HGH and PVG are connected via high speed rail that covers the trip in 45 mins and more importantly you dont need to clear customs between PVG and HGH! Why would an inbound passenger obtain Canadian visa (and clear Canadian customs) just to get to SEA?

mdavies06

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am

The answer is in the picture itself:

"Crossword"

You have a morning coffee (or tea) whilst doing crossword. This says Starbucks. Therefore, its SEA. :D

BritTraveller

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am

downdata wrote:
c933103 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Joburg is pretty far away as an alternative to Singapore. HGH and PVG are connected via high speed rail that covers the trip in 45 mins and more importantly you dont need to clear customs between PVG and HGH! Why would an inbound passenger obtain Canadian visa (and clear Canadian customs) just to get to SEA?

JNB is Johannesburg. JHB is Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

b777900

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:47 am

WHY IS DL leaving HKG and when and If that really happens than SEA would get CX.
[i[b]]Prepare for Gate arrival, Gate 32

J343

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 am

SEA and MIA to be the most likely. I'm guessng MIA will involve a stop somewhere, maybe HKG-YVR-MIA or HKG-LAX-MIA

zeke

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:47 am

TransWorldOne wrote:

SEA would be an April Fools Joke.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

thomasphoto60

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:59 am

As much as I would like to be IAH, I am not feelin it. If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on LAS, with MIA and SEA strong possibilities.
"Show me the Braniffs"

Irehdna

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 am

Will not be MIA. The city doesn't have a non-stop to even Japan. Moreover, MIA-HKG is more than 800km further than even SFO-SIN, and out of range from A359.

I'm thinking IAH or SEA, more likely IAH.

axiom

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 am

I'd go with SEA.

Can we please stop mentioned AUS in every thread? I'm being cheeky, but come on. It's the new DTW, which was the new MIA.

itisi

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:16 am

Question maybe how many on that list not which one :bouncy:
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

Julie77W

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

mdavies06 wrote:

"Crossword"

You have a morning coffee (or tea) whilst doing crossword. This says Starbucks. Therefore, its SEA. :D

I like your thinking, haha!!

zakuivcustom

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 am

c933103 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
downdata wrote:

JHB to SIN is not much further than SZX to HKG. Definitely doable. But afaik AK is the only airline that reallt does that.

HGH itself is a market, and is closer to Shanghai (~90mi) than YVR is to SEA (It is ~130mi), with a HSR line between Hangzhou and Shanghai to boot.

axiom wrote:
I'd go with SEA.

Can we please stop mentioned AUS in every thread? I'm being cheeky, but come on. It's the new DTW, which was the new MIA.

To be fair, CX put AUS on their crossword on IG Story, it is not like some a.nutter AUS fanboi hijack the thread.

Personal opinion is SEA. CX afaik doesn't have the plane to fly HKG-MIA with a meaningful load, DFW I just don't see a second daily yet, IAH is good for my family but unlikely, HNL doesn't quite have the demand, and LAS? With Macau next door?

zeke

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am

Irehdna wrote:
Will not be MIA. The city doesn't have a non-stop to even Japan. Moreover, MIA-HKG is more than 800km further than even SFO-SIN, and out of range from A359.

I'm thinking IAH or SEA, more likely IAH.

MIA is not out of range for the 359.

SFO-SIN is actually a longer flight time than MIA-HKG. The SFO-SIN flight would have fairly strong headwinds where MIA-HKG would be a polar route and maybe even going slightly eastbound.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

lavalampluva

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

Well Cathay Pacific already flies to:

Boston
Chicago
Los Angeles
Newark
New York (K)
San Francisco
Washington (D)

That leaves a lot of holes geographically. There are a number of cities I didn't list because they are strictly only cargo. Could those cities get a priority? Cities like Dallas? Atlanta? My guess is that probably Seattle would be at the top of the list, mostly it being a large city, large Asian population, and large city on the Pacific. It just seems a natural fit due to it's large connecting opportunities.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

OA940

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:55 am

For me Honolulu, Seattle, Dallas or Miami have an equal opportunity. They said that the new MTOW allows them to do HKG-MIA non-stop with a good payload. Dallas is also an AA hub, like MIA, so it kind of stands out. With DL pulling out of the HK market, I'd not be surprised if they had a go at it with their more fuel-efficient A350. I'm surprised they don't already fly to HNL. I could kiiiiinda see them doing LAS, but I doubt they're gonna go for IAH without a UA partnership.
A350/CSeries = bae

SCQ83

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Seattle is the most logical destination. IMO the fact that they already fly to Vancouver is irrelevant; completely different markets.

Newbiepilot

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Seattle is the most logical destination. IMO the fact that they already fly to Vancouver is irrelevant; completely different markets.

It is a different market and CX is already at 17 flights a week from YVR to HKG. If there is bleedover they can drop yvr to just double daily.

CO787EWR

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:02 pm

It's going to be SEA. Lets not kid ourselves YVR and SEA are two different markets. Are IAD and EWR/JFK the same market? If not how could YVR and SEA be in the same market with an internation border in between them.

CXGabriel

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm

If I rank these possibilities from high to low (of course, in my humble opinion):
1. Seattle - Delta is dropping the route; great hub of Pacific northwest, especially with partner Alaska Airlines; great front end demand potential
2. Miami - it's well known CX wants to fly to Miami for a long time
3. Dallas - Although CX already code shared the AA HKG-DFW flight, CX operates its own metal is not totally out of question (like AA flying HKG-LAX)
4. Honolulu - it's mainly a leisure destination, will probably make a lot of Asia Miles members happy, but not sure the yield is there.
5. Houston - UA hub with several Asian carriers already serving there.
6. Austin - with the BA success in Austin, it'd be interesting to see an Asian connection in Austin. Not likely but possible
7. Las Vegas - casino Macau connection???
8. Denver - UA hub; not sure the demand for Denver to Asia look like, especially front end demand
9. Salt Lake City - I think they just randomly throw that city in there

jbs2886

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm

zeke wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

SEA would be an April Fools Joke.

I’m going to save this post.

IMO SEA is just a matter of time. Massive Asia’s demand that is growing, strong economically, connections on AS. Those are just a few.

Edit: this will be different than DL because Cathay will have feed on both ends of the flight.

zeke

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:23 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
I’m going to save this post.

I hope you do, and you will then know I was correct.

GE90man

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm

My money’s on SEA

aaexecplat

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

It has to be MIA or DFW to take advantage of the feed. If not those, IAH is the logical option. High yields, huge market, other regional competitors flying there successfully (NH, BR, CA, SQ).

hohd

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:34 pm

SEA, followed by IAH. From IAH, on a recent flight to Beijing almost 20% of the pax were connecting to HKG.

raylee67

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I would guess SEA. They may even start it one day after the last flight of Delta. CX can provide connections at both ends, something DL cannot do, and CX can even use their newest A333 on SEA, so there is more flexibility in terms of fleet usage.

DFW is properly served with AA and probably there is no need for a second flight. There are demands for LAS but that would be highly seasonal based on timing of trade shows and only during long holidays such as Christmas, Lunar New Year and Summer Holiday.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

EMB170

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Julie77W wrote:
mdavies06 wrote:

"Crossword"

I like your thinking, haha!!

This isn't one of those deals where you're supposed to pick out all the letters that weren't used and then put them together to find the real[i] city where they're starting service, is it?[/i]
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

freakyrat

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Miami wrote:

Thought?

They have already hauled freight out of DFW. First time I saw an aircraft with LED wingtip strobes was when I was driving past DFW's Runway 18R and I stopped and watched. Turns out it was a Cathay Airbus A340 landing. Now it seems LED lighting is standard on Airbus's

yosm

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Must be an airport with quite some feed by US carriers, that have a cooperation with CX. I am thinking of SEA with AS.

Cathay777300ER

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

I think it's unlikely to be Miami as the CX adverts on facebook for Washington DC mention that it's going to be their longest flight.

Honolulu is likely but as a Cathay Dragon destination. Would be pretty weird as a CX destination.

adamh8297

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Its either SEA or MIA via fifth-freedom (Canada/Japan)
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Speedalive

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:11 pm

I could see it being MIA. There's a lot of demand for it, it's a huge Oneworld hub with many connections onward to South America, and the 359 could probably do it without an issue. The eastbound flight would be a polar flight which means the flight wouldn't encounter strong headwinds and on the westbound flight they would have the prevailing westerlies and strong jetstreams over the north Pacific on their side, so this flight would probably be doable. SEA does have a lot of things going for it, but I think it would eat into YVR traffic which is lucrative for them. Passengers taking CX from SEA connect through YVR on a 1 hour flight on AS which is not ideal, but also not terrible. If CX did launch SEA though, they would have feed on both ends which DL didn't enjoy, so it could work. Who knows!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos