Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

United & ExpressJet Hassle Pax Over Meds

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 am

The latest imperious, asinine flight attendant/gate agent story.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/17/united-tr ... -on-plane/

What's interesting about this one is that the passenger/mom seemed to do everything right. She called United's disabled-passenger line in advance and discussed what she was going to do, which was to bring aboard a travel bag with her daughter's vial-contained injectable medication and medications that need to go through her daughter's chest port (oy). She was assured it was okay and given instructions. And she did this despite having done it many times before. TSA didn't give her a hard time about a bag full of liquids. But the United gate agent and the Expressjet f/a did.

The flight attendant very-kindly told her that "You do not want to mess with this crew" and then later approached her in her seat to tell her that the captain wanted to know if she was going to "behave". Lovely.

The daughter stayed behind with her bag of meds and took DL the next day. What a great start for a disabled kid on a family vacation.

Once again, it's a matter of training and management. Once again, empowering f/as to threaten pax with "interference" if you challenge their hairbrained interpretation of rules is a mistake. Once again, the contempt that many f/as at United and their regional partners have for passengers reveals itself. What a joke.

People snobbishly speak ill of Allegiant, but the reality is that a high percentage of their crews like their jobs and like people, which so many of those who work for United and American clearly do not. It's all about who they choose to hire, and the personalities who are attracted to jobs there.

TVNWZ

Re: United & ExpressJet Hassle Pax Over Meds

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 am

Nice screed. But it can cut both ways. From what I see passengers acting up is 10,000 X more prevalent than crew acting out.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018 ... 794163002/

oldannyboy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:02 am

TVNWZ wrote:
Nice screed. But it can cut both ways. From what I see passengers acting up is 10,000 X more prevalent than crew acting out.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018 ... 794163002/

Oh Indeed.

Not wanting to nit-pick or being anal, but perhaps the story you quote has absolutely nothing to do with the one we are discussing in this thread?

rnav2dlrey

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm

all of these bad PR incidents involving UA lately seem to be occuring with their regional partners. the c-suite may need to adjust their calculus of in-house flying accordingly.

sldispatcher

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Another hyperbole fueled rant showing up on A.net. Unfortunately, what used to be called a misunderstanding now becomes a platform for publicly shaming. I tend to be a little distrusting of anything media reports. You can tell the story had an angle from the get go.

Was the agent and crew wrong? Yes. Should I get a news story published every time I get "wronged" in life? Not hardly. Last week, the morning of a flight departure an aircraft swap was done. Carefully planned seat assignments and extra leg room seating were obtained. The swap blew up the seating for our family of 9 and it was a frustrating 40 minutes of getting things in order. We didn't get to sit where we wanted and a couple of nervous flyers were left to fend for their own in a row with strangers. The gate agent even made a slightly snarky comment about not having time to deal with this...HOWEVER....we got home safely and on time. The agents didn't swap the aircraft and they were having to deal with it as well.

Sometimes, things just don't go the way they were planned. That doesn't make it news worthy.

Does this story deserve such attention? Not in my humble opinion. But you can tell the OP was excited to regurgitate the "facts" from the NYPost story.

The headline could have just as easily read "Woman gets ticket refunded for her inconvenience as a gesture of goodwill".

Snowflakes in July.

PPVRA

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 pm

If they were first to board, why would they be told there is no room onboard? Something isn’t adding up.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:50 pm

FI repeat myself but ...... Post 9/11 FAs have been given more quasi-police responsibilities and powers. They really do not have the training do this (and may not have the personality to do this). But more important, neither they nor TSAs have the kind of backup which both should have. Given the millions of possibilities of an FA or TSA misunderstanding rules, and then accusing the passenger of challenging their authority... There should be at every TSA station and on every plane a person trained and skilled at dealing with these sorts of issues. Passenger or FA/TSA should all be able to call for a more senior person to settle the issue. FA/TSA need to be backed up and supported. But passengers need to have a practical way of reversing misapplications of regulations.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:53 pm

PPVRA wrote:
If they were first to board, why would they be told there is no room onboard? Something isn’t adding up.

People get to bring necessary medical supplies. It's up to the crew to make room for them. If that means checking somebody else's carry-on, so be it.

AMALH747430

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

UA really needs to get a handle on their regional partners. I get United are not the ones that employ, train, and evaluate the agents but the flights are marketed by United, contain a United flight number, the aircraft are painted in the United livery, and passengers are served with United branded service items. I have experienced these overzealous ExpressJet flight attendants myself. I have a small roller bag that I got back in 2001. It is the same shape as a standard, upright, soft-sided, two-wheeled roll aboard bag but MUCH smaller. I used it on American Eagle ERJ-135/140/145s (MQ specifically) with absolutely no issues. It fits perfectly in an ERJ-135/140/145 overhead bin perfectly, with room to spare and has just enough room for about 2 changes of clothes and a toiletry bag. Perfect for a two night trip. I used it on United Express operated by ExpressJet exactly one time. The male FA on the outbound immediately copped an attitude about it and told me that I needed to gate check it. I assured him it would fit and he replied “IT BETTER!” On the return, I had an antique crystal wine decanter that I had been given as a Christmas gift inside of it. When I boarded the aircraft at IAH the flight attendant immediately had a hissy fit. She said “that isn’t going to fit, you need to gate check it.” I told her what was inside and assured her that it would indeed fit. She then said, “well it’s the holidays so we are restricting carry on bags.” I finally convinced her to let me try it. After I got my luggage stowed and sat down, she came by and started poking at it and moving it around. Much to her chagrin, the overhead bin closed without issue. I’ve seen countless people bring much larger duffel bags that have to be cajoled into the overhead bins on ERJ-135/140/145s without being given one bit of guff. I relented and purchased a bag shaped more like a wheeled briefcase. Ironically, I have much more trouble getting it into the overhead as it is much deeper and wider but I don’t get any guff from ExpressJet FAs so I just “roll with it.” It isn’t worth getting into a fight over but it is frustrating.

FlightLevel360

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Let's step away from UA and EV from a moment because this applies to virtually all US airlines.

Why is it always that flight attendants have the attitude that makes them sound like, "You do as you're told, or you're going to get your sorry a** off the plane."
Um, excuse me. We're not children (or dogs, for that matter). We're behaving adults who PAID YOU so we could go somewhere.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

nmdrdh787

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Regardless of who is right and wrong, the two company statements are interesting:

United spokeswoman Maddie King blamed the debacle on the size of the regional aircraft, which she said has smaller overhead bins that can’t fit larger bags.

“Because of this, there was no space onboard the aircraft to stow this customer’s bag, and it would only fit checked underneath the aircraft,” King told The Post.

In a statement, Express Jet rep Jarek Beem said: “We have also reviewed this flight with our crew members and apologize for any disruptions to our customers’ travel plans.”

PPVRA

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

People get to bring necessary medical supplies. It's up to the crew to make room for them. If that means checking somebody else's carry-on, so be it.

I know and agree, but why claim there’s no room if they were first to board?

PPVRA

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
Regardless of who is right and wrong, the two company statements are interesting:

United spokeswoman Maddie King blamed the debacle on the size of the regional aircraft, which she said has smaller overhead bins that can’t fit larger bags.

“Because of this, there was no space onboard the aircraft to stow this customer’s bag, and it would only fit checked underneath the aircraft,” King told The Post.

In a statement, Express Jet rep Jarek Beem said: “We have also reviewed this flight with our crew members and apologize for any disruptions to our customers’ travel plans.”

Sounds like UAL has a thing or two they could learn from expressjet, rather than the other way around as suggested by a previous poster on this thread.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 pm

"She suffers from Lyme Disease."

There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. Chronic. Lyme. Disease. I wonder how much of this is legit.

BUUUUT, I'm allowed to say that because I'm a trained, licensed, and Board-Certified physician. The flight crew are not licensed medical professionals.

I also have to travel with an injectable medication on trips longer than a week. It always makes me a bit nervous to be traveling with a syringe worth $800.

If the patient has complied with airline regulations, then it is absolutely outrageous for the crew to give the passenger a hard time about it. And frankly, if someone has essential medications, they have every right to demand that those medications travel in the cabin with them and someone else's carry-on can be put in the hold.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

nmdrdh787

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 pm

PPVRA wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

Sounds like UAL has a thing or two they could learn from expressjet, rather than the other way around as suggested by a previous poster on this thread.

That's my main issue with this. UA has terrible PR teams.

DocLightning wrote:

There. Is. No. Such. Thing. As. Chronic. Lyme. Disease. I wonder how much of this is legit.

BUUUUT, I'm allowed to say that because I'm a trained, licensed, and Board-Certified physician. The flight crew are not licensed medical professionals.

I also have to travel with an injectable medication on trips longer than a week. It always makes me a bit nervous to be traveling with a syringe worth $800.

If the patient has complied with airline regulations, then it is absolutely outrageous for the crew to give the passenger a hard time about it. And frankly, if someone has essential medications, they have every right to demand that those medications travel in the cabin with them and someone else's carry-on can be put in the hold.

I questioned the Lyme Disease but that is for another forum. Totally agree with what you are saying.

jumbojet

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:08 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
all of these bad PR incidents involving UA lately seem to be occuring with their regional partners. the c-suite may need to adjust their calculus of in-house flying accordingly.

sorry but its all the same. United, at the end of the day, its all United.. It will never end. But hey, at least one of them wised up and went with DL to get to where they were gettin.

MCIRNO

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 pm

The time is coming when airline staff will wear body cameras; it would be a protection to both the passenger and airline staff. When it eventually happens, I will imagine that, at first, there will be a rash of badly behaved passengers who are ejected from a flight, who then try to publicly blame the airline and it's staff, and then, the body cam video is shows the truth...

I'm not saying that airline staff is never at fault (the cameras alone should help remind them to behave and follow procedures) but it would protect them from the media and law suits when they do things right.

smokeybandit

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Why did anyone at the gate even care?

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:41 pm

People on this forum know it is rare that I defend United and even more rare that I defend ExpressJet. However in this case both of them are in the right. Assuming this aircraft is an E145, the aircraft CANNOT FIT LARGE SIZE CARRY-ONS. I don't care if you have the cure for cancer in there, if it isn't a small duffel bag/backpack, it's going to be checked with the E145. If this was an E175 or larger I would have a hard time defending their actions but simply put the bag could not fit.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Why did anyone at the gate even care?

It could be that the bag put them over the allowed carry-on limit, but again it's irrelevant if the bag contains medical supplies/medications. But it has to be ONLY that; add an iPad, a jacket, whatever, it's now an extra carry-on and not a solely medical bag.

But these customers clearly had just medical equipment, based on what I'm seeing, so the gate agents handled this poorly.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PPVRA

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Are United gate agents contracted out? I thought they were all United just like DL and AA agents.

astaz

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
UA really needs to get a handle on their regional partners. I get United are not the ones that employ, train, and evaluate the agents but the flights are marketed by United, contain a United flight number, the aircraft are painted in the United livery, and passengers are served with United branded service items. I have experienced these overzealous ExpressJet flight attendants myself. I have a small roller bag that I got back in 2001. It is the same shape as a standard, upright, soft-sided, two-wheeled roll aboard bag but MUCH smaller. I used it on American Eagle ERJ-135/140/145s (MQ specifically) with absolutely no issues. It fits perfectly in an ERJ-135/140/145 overhead bin perfectly, with room to spare and has just enough room for about 2 changes of clothes and a toiletry bag. Perfect for a two night trip. I used it on United Express operated by ExpressJet exactly one time. The male FA on the outbound immediately copped an attitude about it and told me that I needed to gate check it. I assured him it would fit and he replied “IT BETTER!” On the return, I had an antique crystal wine decanter that I had been given as a Christmas gift inside of it. When I boarded the aircraft at IAH the flight attendant immediately had a hissy fit. She said “that isn’t going to fit, you need to gate check it.” I told her what was inside and assured her that it would indeed fit. She then said, “well it’s the holidays so we are restricting carry on bags.” I finally convinced her to let me try it. After I got my luggage stowed and sat down, she came by and started poking at it and moving it around. Much to her chagrin, the overhead bin closed without issue. I’ve seen countless people bring much larger duffel bags that have to be cajoled into the overhead bins on ERJ-135/140/145s without being given one bit of guff. I relented and purchased a bag shaped more like a wheeled briefcase. Ironically, I have much more trouble getting it into the overhead as it is much deeper and wider but I don’t get any guff from ExpressJet FAs so I just “roll with it.” It isn’t worth getting into a fight over but it is frustrating.

There was a period of time where the EV flight attendants were taught to forbid ANY bag with wheels, at threat of FAA violation. Now granted, some strictly enforced this rule, and others did not, which probably causes a bigger issue. I also have heard more than once where an FA told a passenger there bag would not fit, they would insist that it would, and 30 minutes later we were waiting for a mechanic to fix the now broken overhead bin caused one passenger and his bag.

bob75013

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 pm

DocLightning wrote:

It appears that the Mayo Clinic disagrees with you

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 25-6196(11)60731-3/fulltext

Aptivaboy

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Yup, she gets to carry medical equipment/supplies in-cabin. I can do the same with my CPAP. I choose to put it inside my checked luggage because I don't sleep well in the cabin, but I could take it inside if I wished.

flyingclrs727

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:

It's pretty easy to know what kind of plane will be used on a route when buying tickets. If the plane won't have an overhead bin, put the medical supplies in a smaller personal item if possible. I realize that for a CPAP machine it probably isn't possible. Still it is up to the passenger to know what kind of plane will be used for am flight.

nmdrdh787

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

It's pretty easy to know what kind of plane will be used on a route when buying tickets. If the plane won't have an overhead bin, put the medical supplies in a smaller personal item if possible. I realize that for a CPAP machine it probably isn't possible. Still it is up to the passenger to know what kind of plane will be used for am flight.

Agree, but many travelers who only travel once in a while don't know whats going on.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 pm

My big issue is that the Mom called United's disabled pax line, confirmed what she was gonna do and got instructions about it. Then the employees not only screwed her, but berated her and were unbelievably rude to her. United is plainly skimping on training and supervision. That their FAA-mandated training meets all requirements doesn't mean that it is sufficient to provide a uniform service experience. Same with supervision and discipline.

When the gate agent confronted her, she explained herself, and asked for a supervisor. Supervisors are supposed to be people with better judgment and more training on the regs, and they're available in the area to help resolve these issues. The gate agent said he WAS a supervisor, and refused to go further up the chain of command. THAT is a problem. Medical stuff, idiot. Ding! Ding! If United were actually DISCIPLINING people about this stuff, the guy's inclination would be to cover his ass by getting a higher-up involved to make the call. Because they are NOT sufficiently disciplining people, the guy feels entirely-comfortable making the call himself.

Same thing with the FA. If he feared discipline for the wrong call (putting aside what is plainly a terrible attitude towards customers), he would have reached out for guidance. Instead, he feels empowered by the "comply or be dragged off" policy and blithely makes the call. And proves himself to be a very small person by his disgraceful comments.

DOC: Regardless of the Lyme disease characterization, the fact that this girl has a chest port indicates that some doctor thinks she needs regular doses of certain kinds of meds for some kind of condition. I think it validates the severity of her condition and need for meds.

And it doesn't seem like someone is trying to take advantage and use a medical excuse to bring a big bag aboard insofar as the bag in question had only meds in it.
Last edited by wjcandee on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tp1040

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Lyme disease is usually treated by a course of antibiotics. 1-4 weeks. But there are people long term effects. Hard to imagine why she needed a chest port for Lyme disease. Actual facts might be lacking.

4 sides to every story, version 1 by the first person, version 2 by the second person, version 3 is the truth, 4th version is what the media says.

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:38 pm

bob75013 wrote:
It appears that the Mayo Clinic disagrees with you

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 25-6196(11)60731-3/fulltext

No they don't. There is a difference between post-lyme syndrome, which is legitimate, and chronic lyme, which is not. Lyme infection is universally curable, however it can cause permanent damage to joints, nerves, etc. if not promptly diagnosed.

There is a cottage quack industry diagnosing "chronic Lyme," which according to them causes essentially all symptoms known to man.

Also, Mayo is not the authority on all things. I've seen their website present a number of topics in a manner that is clearly at odds with scientific evidence and position statements of the relevant professional specialty societies. IDSA is the authority on infectious diseases in the USA.

http://www.idsociety.org/Lyme/
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

jayunited

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 pm

wjcandee wrote:
My big issue is that the Mom called United's disabled pax line, confirmed what she was gonna do and got instructions about it. Then the employees not only screwed her, but berated her and were unbelievably rude to her. United is plainly skimping on training and supervision. That their FAA-mandated training meets all requirements doesn't mean that it is sufficient to provide a uniform service experience. Same with supervision and discipline.

When the gate agent confronted her, she explained herself, and asked for a supervisor. Supervisors are supposed to be people with better judgment and more training on the regs, and they're available in the area to help resolve these issues. The gate agent said he WAS a supervisor, and refused to go further up the chain of command. THAT is a problem. Medical stuff, idiot. Ding! Ding! If United were actually DISCIPLINING people about this stuff, the guy's inclination would be to cover his ass by getting a higher-up involved to make the call. Because they are NOT sufficiently disciplining people, the guy feels entirely-comfortable making the call himself.

Same thing with the FA. If he feared discipline for the wrong call (putting aside what is plainly a terrible attitude towards customers), he would have reached out for guidance. Instead, he feels empowered by the "comply or be dragged off" policy and blithely makes the call. And proves himself to be a very small person by his disgraceful comments.

DOC: Regardless of the Lyme disease characterization, the fact that this girl has a chest port indicates that some doctor thinks she needs regular doses of certain kinds of meds for some kind of condition. I think it validates the severity of her condition and need for meds.

And it doesn't seem like someone is trying to take advantage and use a medical excuse to bring a big bag aboard insofar as the bag in question had only meds in it.

First let me say being rude and disrespectful to any customer is wrong period.
In response to your post UA does in fact take disciplinary action against employees when they have broken the rules, there is a process that includes an investigation at the conclusion of the investigation a recommendation of disciplinary action is made which can include up to termination. Union employees do have certain rights and protections built into their contract that the company must adhere to during this process and UA has no control over how Express Jet disciplines their employees. UA employes are being disciplined, people are being suspended without pay, supervisors are being held accountable for their employees actions, people are being fired just because you don't see it or don't read about it in the New York Post doesn't mean it isn't happening. There are over 85,000 employees who work for UA and thousands more who for for United Express. I wish we could provide a consistent experience for our customers every day every time but what I do know is even though we still have some bad apples most of our employees show up and do a great job every day.

I have not seen any internal report on this incident so I can only speculate from what was written in the article. The article stated this customer had taken this trip multiple with UA and they never had a problem before bringing the bag on board or placing the bag into the closet. This got me thinking that perhaps UA downguaged the aircraft perhaps before when they had taken the flight they were on a larger regional jet like a E170/75 and this particular flight could have been on a much smaller regional jet like a E135/145 and these smaller regional jets cant accommodate roller boards and the closet that she also asked to use may have been full with the crews bags. In my opinion the customer did the right thing she call UA and the agent on the other end of the phone assured her we could accommodate her bag just like before. However I'm going to assume the agent on the phone probably did not check to see why type of regional jet would be operating the flight if they had perhaps they could have warned her she may have a problem because of the smaller overhead bins. However none of this excuses the actions of the UA gate agent and the Express Jet flight attendant even if there was absolutely no way to accommodate the customers bag in the cabin there is no excuse for being rude.

mm320cap

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 pm

jumbojet wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:

sorry but its all the same. United, at the end of the day, its all United.. It will never end. But hey, at least one of them wised up and went with DL to get to where they were gettin.

United stock up almost 10% today. Looks like nobody that matters agrees with you. As usual.

strfyr51

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Ilm diabetic and have hight blood pressure I carry insilin and a number of Pills. I've maybe been wuestioned Once theough Once I had to take my blood sugar reading in front of 2 TSA dudes and swapped out the test pin to prick my finger and the tsa Agent even pricked his finger to find HIS OWN blood sugar was well over 200 !!. We might have saved his life just be his being a Buttwipe !! I've seen him since in passing through SFO and I NEVER had another question about my meds because of it, (He's getting treated now as well, and he no longer looks like an Heriloom Tomato with eyes)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos