Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BoeingGuy

Re: MRY-DEN On UAX To Return October 4

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Fair, but I’m also not 100 percent sure the CR2 can do DEN-MRY without restrictions year-round, especially if they need an alternate going west.

Aren’t there numerous alternates in the area? SJC, SBP, SXM come to mind.

I think that SJC is the natural alternative in that there are tons of options on apparently better aircraft - I’m happy on anything that can leave the ground. SBP just seems a bit far and at that point, you might as well just head to SFO. Mind you, I grew up in San Luis Obispo and I love the airport there so it’d be fun either way. SMX had service to LA on Mokulele but I think that’s gone and it left little in the way of connection opportunities. I may be wrong, however, but I’m relatively sure there is now only Allegiant to LAS a few days per week.

I was referring to landing alternates for MRY that the crew files in their flight plan. That what the post I responded to meant also.

I was not talking about alternative airports that passengers can choose to fly out of.

williaminsd

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 am

Jeez... some of y'all need to get laid. Why some a.netters immediately have to play the condescending jerk card never ceases to both amaze and amuse me. To the topic at hand, please note I am no more of an airline expert than most of you are. My only expertise is that I fly 3-4 times a month, on most aircraft types and to many of the airports in this thread, and I notice things...

MRY-DEN on a CR2? Yeah, that could be pretty grim. I don't even like flying one for the 15 min you're airborne SFO-STS. I'm pretty good size, so I'm sure that's part of why the CR2 and I have a troubled relationship. I also like to look out the window, which is a tough call on Satan's Chariot even if you're a midget. So for me, a CR2 is not my first choice, but if that choice is a 20 min drive to the local airport and no window on a non-stop to DEN, or 2-3 hours of brutal Bay Area traffic, I might be persuaded.

I also agree that equipment and logistics may play a role. Maybe the aircraft become available after the busy summer season. It also makes sense to me that UA would test a grant-money route with a CR2 rather than need to fill the 50% capacity boost an E175 or similar represents.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that UA isn't going 2x daily for the ski crowd. My experience on these routes to smaller, coastal California markets is that they are driven as much by pax from out of state TO them as they are by local demand. That's strictly anecdotal of course, but I sure see a lot of it.

No matter what, the blossoming of air travel to second, third, and even lower-tier markets in the last two years thanks to a booming American economy is great for everyone, and a delight to experience first-hand. The resumption of MRY-DEN is yet another example.

Congrats to UA for pulling the trigger, and to the community. I wish the service well and look forward to timing a trip there so I can witness the success for myself...

BoeingGuy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:12 am

williaminsd wrote:
Jeez... some of y'all need to get laid. Why some a.netters immediately have to play the condescending jerk card never ceases to both amaze and amuse me. To the topic at hand, please note I am no more of an airline expert than most of you are. My only expertise is that I fly 3-4 times a month, on most aircraft types and to many of the airports in this thread, and I notice things...

MRY-DEN on a CR2? Yeah, that could be pretty grim. I don't even like flying one for the 15 min you're airborne SFO-STS. I'm pretty good size, so I'm sure that's part of why the CR2 and I have a troubled relationship. I also like to look out the window, which is a tough call on Satan's Chariot even if you're a midget. So for me, a CR2 is not my first choice, but if that choice is a 20 min drive to the local airport and no window on a non-stop to DEN, or 2-3 hours of brutal Bay Area traffic, I might be persuaded.

I also agree that equipment and logistics may play a role. Maybe the aircraft become available after the busy summer season. It also makes sense to me that UA would test a grant-money route with a CR2 rather than need to fill the 50% capacity boost an E175 or similar represents.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that UA isn't going 2x daily for the ski crowd. My experience on these routes to smaller, coastal California markets is that they are driven as much by pax from out of state TO them as they are by local demand. That's strictly anecdotal of course, but I sure see a lot of it.

No matter what, the blossoming of air travel to second, third, and even lower-tier markets in the last two years thanks to a booming American economy is great for everyone, and a delight to experience first-hand. The resumption of MRY-DEN is yet another example.

Congrats to UA for pulling the trigger, and to the community. I wish the service well and look forward to timing a trip there so I can witness the success for myself...

I must have missed something. I don’t recall any condescending comments or controversy on this thread.

mcdu

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am

Cubsrule wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Again, DL - who generally performs a lot better than UA - seems to have worked this out. Are there some markets that you think DL would be in but for the 750-mile rule?

Delta does X therefore it must be superior. Good logic.

UA’s use of 50-seaters is quite different from what AA or DL do. UA’s financial results have lagged AA and DL. Maybe it’s a coincidence but maybe not. UA has gotten better (50 seaters on stuff like BNA-IAH or IAD-DTW were ridiculous), but there’s still work left to do.

I don’t believe UA’s financial results this Q lagged DL. In fact I think they outperformed DL in several areas.

So now are you going to bash UA for the Stroopwaffle next?

williaminsd

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
williaminsd wrote:

I must have missed something. I don’t recall any condescending comments or controversy on this thread.

You're absolutely right... you missed something.

mattnrsa

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:25 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Again, DL - who generally performs a lot better than UA - seems to have worked this out.

I believe DL’s advantages come in large part from more fortress-hubs and significantly less exposure to LCCs. This minimizes the pressure on fares seen at AA/UA hubs with much more competition. Though UA seems to be making strides with their mid-continent growth strategy.

Also, DEN is one of the (relatively) more geographically-isolated hubs, which makes some of the thinner markets longer, when compared to SLC and SEA, for example, which are closer to the smaller west coast cities.

UA has come a long way to move away from the CRJ use on mainline and E175-appropriate routes.

intotheair

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 am

mattnrsa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Again, DL - who generally performs a lot better than UA - seems to have worked this out.

I believe DL’s advantages come in large part from more fortress-hubs and significantly less exposure to LCCs. This minimizes the pressure on fares seen at AA/UA hubs with much more competition. Though UA seems to be making strides with their mid-continent growth strategy.

Also, DEN is one of the (relatively) more geographically-isolated hubs, which makes some of the thinner markets longer, when compared to SLC and SEA, for example, which are closer to the smaller west coast cities.

UA has come a long way to move away from the CRJ use on mainline and E175-appropriate routes.

If we're going to keep comparing UA to DL, then let's also point out that DL doesn't serve MRY or any other Central Coast airport at all (SBP, SMX, or SBA). Though I would certainly welcome a few routes to SLC, that's for sure.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:07 am

Cubsrule wrote:
That’s a long flight on a CR2. The more things change, the more UA stays the same.

In days of old there was one CR-7 round-trip daily.

The early morning eastbound - connecting to east coast cities in Denver - was filled with local tech company people and staff, faculty, and engineers from the Naval Postgraduate School outside Monterey.

This new service will be increased frequency using smaller jets.

Buddys747

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:33 pm

intotheair wrote:
i think the amount of air service that the ski resorts generate into DEN is highly overstated on this site. DEN is a major city in its own right, and I'd be willing to bet money that the majority of all passengers going to DEN plan to spend time in the Denver metro area or are connecting onward. Not that there isn't any ski traffic, but I think the amount of traffic that the ski industry generates is highly overarticulated on here.

With that said, it is nice to see this flight return. I think you can look to SBP-DEN to see what UA is trying to accomplish here. MRY has more spillage to SJC than SBP does, but with these flights, UA can offer people the convenience of departing from the local airport. DEN also allows for a lot more efficient itineraries to the midwest and east coast.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that the morning MRY-DEN will miss the 9-10am bank at DEN. I would have expected a 5:30 am departure from MRY.

I guess it depends what you consider a lot of traffic? There is plenty of east coast skiers, myself included, that prefer to fly out west than drive 8-10 hours to New England to ski. The big resorts out there get very crowded, and they have to get there from somewhere as they certainly are not all local.

wedgetail737

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Sorry to be a bit off the subject since we are talking UA to MRY. I'm still holding out hope that AS/QX/OO will fly the SEA-MRY...even seasonally, since now the service is with the E-175's.

LovePrunesAnet

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Buddys747 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
i think the amount of air service that the ski resorts generate into DEN is highly overstated on this site. DEN is a major city in its own right, and I'd be willing to bet money that the majority of all passengers going to DEN plan to spend time in the Denver metro area or are connecting onward. Not that there isn't any ski traffic, but I think the amount of traffic that the ski industry generates is highly overarticulated on here.

With that said, it is nice to see this flight return. I think you can look to SBP-DEN to see what UA is trying to accomplish here. MRY has more spillage to SJC than SBP does, but with these flights, UA can offer people the convenience of departing from the local airport. DEN also allows for a lot more efficient itineraries to the midwest and east coast.

The only thing I'm surprised about is that the morning MRY-DEN will miss the 9-10am bank at DEN. I would have expected a 5:30 am departure from MRY.

I guess it depends what you consider a lot of traffic? There is plenty of east coast skiers, myself included, that prefer to fly out west than drive 8-10 hours to New England to ski. The big resorts out there get very crowded, and they have to get there from somewhere as they certainly are not all local.

Flights to Denver starting oct 1 are not for skiers. 60 days too early.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:51 pm

intotheair wrote:
If we're going to keep comparing UA to DL, then let's also point out that DL doesn't serve MRY or any other Central Coast airport at all (SBP, SMX, or SBA). Though I would certainly welcome a few routes to SLC, that's for sure.

Delta also has little service in inland California compared to its competitors. DL operates at FAT with only 3X daily to SLC (1 CR7; 2 CR2). UA operates both mainline and UAX at FAT to DEN, LAX, ORD and SFO. AA operates both mainline and regional at FAT to DFW, LAX and PHX.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Judge1310

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Buddys747 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

What? We get our first snow in the Mile High in October on average (September in early years). If it's snowing at 5280' it's def snowing up at the resorts. A-Basin and Loveland start up ops in October.

But as another poster (wisely) noted, travellers to Denver don't only come for our winter resorts -- the Front Range is an important destination in and of its own.

flyguy84

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Fair, but I’m also not 100 percent sure the CR2 can do DEN-MRY without restrictions year-round, especially if they need an alternate going west.

I think that SJC is the natural alternative in that there are tons of options on apparently better aircraft - I’m happy on anything that can leave the ground. SBP just seems a bit far and at that point, you might as well just head to SFO. Mind you, I grew up in San Luis Obispo and I love the airport there so it’d be fun either way. SMX had service to LA on Mokulele but I think that’s gone and it left little in the way of connection opportunities. I may be wrong, however, but I’m relatively sure there is now only Allegiant to LAS a few days per week.

I think you didn’t quite understand what he meant when he was referring to alternate.
SFO

BoeingGuy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:11 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
SL1200MK2 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I think you didn’t quite understand what he meant when he was referring to alternate.

Right. I’m guessing that SJC is filed as the alternate for MRY.

In an emergency, there are other airports close by that could handle a CR2 such as Salinas.

LovePrunesAnet

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Buddys747 wrote:

What? We get our first snow in the Mile High in October on average (September in early years). If it's snowing at 5280' it's def snowing up at the resorts. A-Basin and Loveland start up ops in October.

But as another poster (wisely) noted, travellers to Denver don't only come for our winter resorts -- the Front Range is an important destination in and of its own.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is FLYING IN from Monterey to Denver to ski at Loveland. Cmon, you know that.
Maybe we're both saying the same thing, though: THIS FLIGHT IS NOT DUE TO SKIERS

Buddys747

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:54 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is FLYING IN from Monterey to Denver to ski at Loveland. Cmon, you know that.
Maybe we're both saying the same thing, though: THIS FLIGHT IS NOT DUE TO SKIERS

The comment was made DEN ski traffic is Anet hype, I was simply saying otherwise. I realize there is way more to DEN than skiing, We went to Estes park last summer and there were tourists everywhere, so I’m not disagreeing DEN has a huge market overall. In terms of Monterey, I can’t speak of that market as I have no clue, but wish it well, and I’m sure there will be some skiers in the winter months filling up the CRJ.

cschleic

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

True. Tahoe isn't that far of a drive.

strfyr51

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:51 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
UA will restart UAX service between Monterey, CA (MRY) and Denver (DEN). The route was last operated in 2014.
http://www.montereyherald.com/business/20180720/monterey-to-denver-non-stop-coming-to-monterey-regional-airport

Flights start October 4.

Service is already bookable and operated on CR2s. The schedule is
dep MRY 7:38am arr DEN 11:20am
dep MRY 1:03pm arr DEN 4:45pm

dep DEN 11:25am arr MRY 1:30pm
dep DEN 7:00pm arr MRY 9:05pm

So I guess MRY neighbors are through complaining about Jet Noise? I worked in Monterey for Golden Gate airlines and the locals complained all the time that Air Cal United and PSA made so much noise . They even complained about the Golden Gate CV580's Now that AirCal is American and PSA is Also American via USAir and United isn't trying to put mainline airplanes in there? Now they still want to complain because UAX flies in there? Who in the Hell Else is flying to Denver from MRY??

strfyr51

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm

cschleic wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Also true, that it's NOT for skiers. It's to connect to another United Hub Besides SFO and LAX.

cschleic

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
UA will restart UAX service between Monterey, CA (MRY) and Denver (DEN). The route was last operated in 2014.
http://www.montereyherald.com/business/20180720/monterey-to-denver-non-stop-coming-to-monterey-regional-airport

Flights start October 4.

Service is already bookable and operated on CR2s. The schedule is
dep MRY 7:38am arr DEN 11:20am
dep MRY 1:03pm arr DEN 4:45pm

dep DEN 11:25am arr MRY 1:30pm
dep DEN 7:00pm arr MRY 9:05pm

So I guess MRY neighbors are through complaining about Jet Noise? I worked in Monterey for Golden Gate airlines and the locals complained all the time that Air Cal United and PSA made so much noise . They even complained about the Golden Gate CV580's Now that AirCal is American and PSA is Also American via USAir and United isn't trying to put mainline airplanes in there? Now they still want to complain because UAX flies in there? Who in the Hell Else is flying to Denver from MRY??

I remember those days. And Hughes Airwest, too. My grandparents lived on the edge of MRY in Del Rey Oaks. Jets taxiing around were very loud. Of course, newer jets are a lot quieter. After all, UA, America West / US Air / AA and American Eagle been flying RJs there for years. But frequency is way down from the days of all of those mainline flights.

Judge1310

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 am

strfyr51 wrote:
cschleic wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

Also true, that it's NOT for skiers. It's to connect to another United Hub Besides SFO and LAX.

There are flights to every major resort town in Colorado that, wait for it, have service from DEN. For the blanket statement that the MRY-DEN flights are "NOT" (using the capitalisation of others) that would be patently incorrect. Those two flights are timed very well for connecting service to Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs, etc. Those would also be in conjunction to enhanced itinerary opportunities for the MRY market.

ericm2031

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:51 am

LAX and SFO are also pretty maxed out on gates, so any additional seats would have required upgauging (which they did this summer) or an additional City which this is.

whatusaid

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 am

Seems as if there's a rush to over-think this move. UA has a few OO CRJ 200s sitting around. They place them on routes that can easily support added capacity and could care less about leaving traffic behind. An example - how about 4X a day FAT-DEN with LF's in the mid 90's year 'round, even flights scheduled less than an hour apart at times? Or, we can talk about BUR-DEN on CRJs - makes zero sense. UA does what it wants without any suggestion of doing anything other than supporting the DEN hub and maybe a few high-flyers who're married to their racking up the miles. Add to that, does anyone like driving 17 or 101 to SJC - No. Nobody wants to sit in a parking lot on 101 around Prunedale and 17 can be downright dangerous in winter. I'd expect they can make this route work and if it doesn't, who cares. Even marginal performance won't be felt on their bottom line. This move has zero to do with O&D. It's just another second level spoke.

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:12 am

Judge1310 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
cschleic wrote:

There are flights to every major resort town in Colorado that, wait for it, have service from DEN. For the blanket statement that the MRY-DEN flights are "NOT" (using the capitalisation of others) that would be patently incorrect. Those two flights are timed very well for connecting service to Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs, etc. Those would also be in conjunction to enhanced itinerary opportunities for the MRY market.

Wild guess here, but I'm guessing you are NOT a skier.

while it's true there are many Colorado ski towns you can fly nonstop from Denver on United to get to, not a single one will have any skiing on the 1st 45 days of this new flight from Monterey.

Therefore this is not for skiers as the main reason the MRY flight was started. it was to connect to another United hub for whatever people want to do starting in October, which is not skiing... and as I've already said before no skier in their right mind is going to fly to Denver to ski Loveland Pass or A Basin in October, which as others have said, are the only ski mtns that can sometimes be open in October.

any skiers flying in from Monterey to connect to Aspen or Vail or Steamboat will come much later in the season when those mountains are actually open for skiing. Even Thanksgiving is very iffy for those destinations. if skiing was driving this new flight they would wait until the skiers actually would be using it , around Thanksgiving at the earliest

flyfresno

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

whatusaid wrote:
Seems as if there's a rush to over-think this move. UA has a few OO CRJ 200s sitting around. They place them on routes that can easily support added capacity and could care less about leaving traffic behind. An example - how about 4X a day FAT-DEN with LF's in the mid 90's year 'round, even flights scheduled less than an hour apart at times? Or, we can talk about BUR-DEN on CRJs - makes zero sense. UA does what it wants without any suggestion of doing anything other than supporting the DEN hub and maybe a few high-flyers who're married to their racking up the miles. Add to that, does anyone like driving 17 or 101 to SJC - No. Nobody wants to sit in a parking lot on 101 around Prunedale and 17 can be downright dangerous in winter. I'd expect they can make this route work and if it doesn't, who cares. Even marginal performance won't be felt on their bottom line. This move has zero to do with O&D. It's just another second level spoke.

I also wonder how much premium demand - or lack thereof - affects the decision to put -200s on the route. BUR doesn’t make quite as much sense in this category, but as for FAT, it might be that 1) the current premium traffic does not warrant adding more premium seats, but coach traffic DOES warrant more overall seats, and/or 2) there are other markets that command more of a premium that CR7s and E175s could be used on. Don’t forget that UA puts CR7s on some flights between DEN and much larger markets like SMF, SJC, and BNA, and E175s on other even larger markets like DFW, all of which probably have higher premium demand. I’ve noticed the ORD flight is very fickle for premium: some days it’s (booked) close to full, others it goes out with mostly non-revs (or even empty seats) in first and mostly “upgrades” in E+. Obviously there’s no way to put a CR2 on that route, but I wonder whether that’s the deciding factor here...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos