Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Air Europa, Edelweiss, Lufthansa and Transavia launch flights to Eilat, Israel

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 am

Eilat in southern Israel keeps getting momentum with foreign carriers being heavily subsidised by the Government of Israel and the Eilat Hotels Association

Air Europa will connect Madrid with Eilat once weekly this winter. It is out of my mind how someone from Spain will take holidays in (expensive) Eilat with the Canary Islands a short hop from MAD.

https://www.talaviation.com/air-europa- ... t-to-eilat

Air Europa brings the Israel desert closer to Spain with its new flight to Eilat

Lufthansa Group has jumped on the subsidies bandwagon.

Edelweiss will also fly from Zurich once a week.

https://www.touristisrael.com/edelweiss ... lat/21870/

Edelweiss launches direct flight from Zurich to Eilat in Winter 2018

And more surprisingly, Lufthansa will launch 4 weekly flights to VDA, 2 from each FRA and MUC.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Lufth ... tes-562916

Lufthansa to launch 2 Eilat-Germany routes

Finally Transavia will also launch 2 weekly flights from Amsterdam.

https://www.touristisrael.com/transavia ... lat/22031/

Transavia launches new flights from Amsterdam to Ovda, Eilat.

Wizz Air is also launching flights to London LTN (first commercial flight between London and Eilat) and Vienna; and Ryanair from Prague.

How is this sustainable in the long term and which other carriers might also launch flights to Eilat in the future?

TC957

Re: Air Europa, Edelweiss, Lufthansa and Transavia launch flights to Eilat, Israel

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 am

There's been flights from LGW & LTN to VDA for years in the past, Monarch especially did them. Operated mainly as IT charters for winter sun tour operators.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Re: Air Europa, Edelweiss, Lufthansa and Transavia launch flights to Eilat, Israel

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:19 am

TC957 wrote:
There's been flights from LGW & LTN to VDA for years in the past, Monarch especially did them. Operated mainly as IT charters for winter sun tour operators.

You are right, Monarch launched LTN-VDA in Winter 2015/2016 season before going under:

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-mona ... 1001060165

Monarch Airlines to launch two UK-Israel routes

LTenEleven

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 am

I am wondering where are these people will stay?

Hotel occupancy in Eiliat is already close to 100%, and I am not aware of many large scale constructions projects.

LGAviation

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:38 am

Wizz Air will also significantly increase their operations. I mean Eilat and Israel certainly have potential as a warm-water beach destination for Europeans in winter but I'm a bit curious as to the amount of subsidies and whether in the end that is profitable for the authorities. Last year, Ryanair quite frequently offered €20 return fares ex Germany. Really surprised though that they managed to getl lufthansa.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:45 am

LGAviation wrote:
Wizz Air will also significantly increase their operations. I mean Eilat and Israel certainly have potential as a warm-water beach destination for Europeans in winter but I'm a bit curious as to the amount of subsidies and whether in the end that is profitable for the authorities. Last year, Ryanair quite frequently offered €20 return fares ex Germany. Really surprised though that they managed to getl lufthansa.

Indeed, I saw many of those 10 EUR fares from Germany (and also from CRL or Eastern Europe).

Eilat is extremely expensive, plus you have the security situation. That is ultimately the reason (bad relation quality/price) why there are more and more Israeli tourists in Europe or SE Asia. This year there are even flights from Tel Aviv to Tenerife; a 7-hour flight.

So basically Israeli tourists are ditching Eilat for European destinations among other things because Eilat it is too expensive, and now Israeli authorities are trying to attract European tourists via subsidies.

Viper911

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 am

LTenEleven wrote:
I am wondering where are these people will stay?

Hotel occupancy in Eiliat is already close to 100%, and I am not aware of many large scale constructions projects.

Last time i flew to Ovda, there were organised groups of tourists from Europe that were landing in Israel and continuing directly through Taba border crossing to Egypt, i guess its cheaper to fly to Ovda on an LCC and be bussed to Taba rather than flying there directly. Furthermore those flights are scheduled for the winter season when Eilat hotel occupancy drops.

Viper911

yochai

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 am

Many of those European travelers who fly to Ovda and get subsidized by the Israeli government continue immediately to Aqaba or Sinai who are much cheaper than Eilat.

jumpjets

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 am

TC957 wrote:

Way back in 1990 I was booked on a direct flight from LHR to Eilat with El Al. In the event because of the imminent start of the first Gulf War and the reduced demand for travel to Israel the flight was cancelled and we had to route via Tel Aviv. Because the flight never happened my log doesn't reflect the details but I am pretty sure the original flight was scheduled to Eilat itself and not Ovda.

DUSZRH

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 am

I read somewhere, that every arriving passenger is subsidised by 40€. Hence the cheap prices.

Luftymatt

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 am

TC957 wrote:

True, and from MAN with Britannia in the early 2000's.
chase the sun

SCQ83
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:37 am

DUSZRH wrote:
I read somewhere, that every arriving passenger is subsidised by 40€. Hence the cheap prices.

45 EUR Ministry of Tourism + 15 EUR Eilat Hotel Association = 60 EUR total per PAX.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/bus ... -1.5444700

SR100

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am

As someone living in Switzerland and spending a lot of time in Israel, prices in Eilat are moderate from a Swiss perspective. Sure, tourist destinations in other Mediterreanen countries are cheaper, but there are many reasons why Swiss - and Central European tourists - may choose flying to Eilat, because
- Israel is a save destination, compared to staying at hotel in Egypt
- Eilat is great basis for various activities such as tours to Jordan, diving along the Red Sea coastline in Egypt, excursion to the Negev and/or Dead Sea, even Jerusalem

We're talking here weekly/twice weekly flights with an A320 (or 319/321) and this is not to compare with daily flights, sometimes almost hourly flights like to PMI. This is another target group that I also see on my flights into TLV, tourists that want to discover part of Israel in combination with some days at a beach resort.
Flown all types and variants of Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed, Bombardier, DC, Embraer, Fokker, ATR, plus BAe146-1/2/3, Britannia, Caravelle, Comet, Concord, CV440/990, M404, Herald, Avro, Trident-1/2/3, IL-18/62, SWM, Viscount, VC-10, Tu-104/134/154, YS-11

SCQ83
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:53 am

SR100 wrote:
As someone living in Switzerland and spending a lot of time in Israel, prices in Eilat are moderate from a Swiss perspective. Sure, tourist destinations in other Mediterreanen countries are cheaper, but there are many reasons why Swiss - and Central European tourists - may choose flying to Eilat, because
- Israel is a save destination, compared to staying at hotel in Egypt
- Eilat is great basis for various activities such as tours to Jordan, diving along the Red Sea coastline in Egypt, excursion to the Negev and/or Dead Sea, even Jerusalem

It is not about being expensive, but overpriced. Eilat offers poor standards and very high prices, so one of the worst "bang for your buck" beach resorts in the world. As for the safety, this is arguable in such a convulsed area of the world. So it seems those Eilat flights work only with subsidies:

- Tourists / groups staying in Eilat. I reckon most of them are in all-inclusive packages and tour operators get more competitive hotel prices.
- Tourists / groups heading to Egypt or Jordan.
- Bargain-hunter Israeli tourists looking for cheap flights to Europe (those 10 EUR tickets). Even if with more low-cost offer from TLV, it might be less interesting today to go down all the way to Eilat.
- Travellers combining low-cost flights with TLV.

I really fail to see how this model is sustainable in the long term.

Redwood839

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:29 pm

yochai wrote:
Many of those European travelers who fly to Ovda and get subsidized by the Israeli government continue immediately to Aqaba or Sinai who are much cheaper than Eilat.

Agreed. I actually did this earlier in the year and I was only in Israel for the airport. It was much cheaper than flying to Aqaba. Just wish the border crossing would be faster.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Good for Elat. Must be lots of changes since 2000 (when I last went). As an American tourist, I found Elat's beaches and resorts nothing special (the reef barely had any fish). We ended up doing a day trip to Petra from Elat (which was great). Walked over to Taba Hilton (which was interesting to be in Egypt but again nothing special). Best thing about Elat was the drive down from Tel Aviv. Loved it. Loved driving through the Negev.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos