trpmb6
Topic Author

CEOs Test Out The Cheap Seats

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm

When Airline CEOs Try the Cheap Seats (Should not be a pay wall - just X out the subscription ad)

Its great to see Ed Bastian (Delta) and Doug Parker (American) test out the economy class. Both are 6 foot 3 inches tall. The pictures are pretty funny.

United Oscar Munoz declined the interview.

There is also a decent graphic for the seat configurations of the 777-200's they sat in.

Stitch

Re: CEOs Test Out The Cheap Seats

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Can't speak for Munoz, but I did sit with Glenn Tilton on a UA flight in Economy on an ORD-SFO flight.

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Really speaks volumes about Oscar and United. Good for Doug & Ed. They get my business anyway and this just helps prove why.
Last edited by Super80Fan on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

glbltrvlr

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Just search on the title using Google News. The redirect to WSJ works.

rafflesking

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Clearly not the point of the article...but it seems to suggest that C+ will return to DL 772s even with Premium Select.

peanuts

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
They get my business anyway and this just helps prove why.

More proof how simple (and ridiculously easy) offering a perceived good customer service really is. This isn't rocket science. It's mostly perception vs. reality issues at play. Perception: Oh, they're nice guys! Reality: the seat plainly sucks.
(motto: check your ego at the door and laugh your way to the bank!).

jumbojet

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm

rafflesking wrote:
Clearly not the point of the article...but it seems to suggest that C+ will return to DL 772s even with Premium Select.

they should also put a few rows of C+ on the A350's. They gotta take care of their high value customers who dont want to pay for the suite or E+

LHUSA

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Really speaks volumes about Oscar and United. Good for Doug & Ed. They get my business anyway and this just helps prove why.

Scott regularly flies Eco back and forth to DFW (will even still fly AA if the time is right). And that's in real life, not for a planned news article.

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm

peanuts wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

More proof how simple (and ridiculously easy) offering a perceived good customer service really is. This isn't rocket science. It's mostly perception vs. reality issues at play. Perception: Oh, they're nice guys! Reality: the seat plainly sucks.

At least in my experience, both AA and DL have treated me very well, even when things weren't there fault. Compare this to the couple experiences I've had on UA where they treated me as an inconvenience. This is probably just a PR grab but it's good and reaffirms why I choose to fly them in the first place, and UA's refusal to participate also speaks volumes.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

peanuts

Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
peanuts wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

UA's refusal to participate also speaks volumes.

Agreed. And when I see pockets of poor customer service at AA and DL it is mind-blowing and unnecessary. It's mostly a conflict of either clashing or inflated ego's. Lack of maturity and smarts.

waly777

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Not sure why it makes a difference that they sat in the seats, but it was nice to read that they regularly fly Y for domestic trips (lol most likely the extra legroom seats that's for sure).

But what I can see here is passengers being given more choice tbh. Cheap seats with 31" pitch or pay a little more and get an extra legroom seat in Y. I still don't get why this is a foreign concept for airline pax when it applies in every other industry. I.e. you don't go to a car dealer with Toyota money and expect to get a Lexus or Mercedes of the same car type.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm

[*]
Super80Fan wrote:

Does it really? A CEO has a very important schedule and it’s quite possible he had a conflict. When meetings are scheduled, the ones that involve running the company have priority over interviews. I’ve been treated well on all 3 carriers and all have equally terrible coach seats.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

AirbusA6

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:

Yes that works for some reason, just Googling the article brought up a link to the full story

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-airli ... 1532441990

Nice PR effort, but it would be more interesting if they did that with a full cabin.

The problem with them saying that Premium Economy/Economy plus is available, is that the jump in price (to the public) seems out of proportion to the extra space.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

c933103

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:27 pm

AirbusA6 wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:

Yes that works for some reason, just Googling the article brought up a link to the full story

Nice PR effort, but it would be more interesting if they did that with a full cabin.

The problem with them saying that Premium Economy/Economy plus is available, is that the jump in price (to the public) seems out of proportion to the extra space.

The WSJ link also need subscription
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

SumChristianus

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:27 pm

LHUSA wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Scott regularly flies Eco back and forth to DFW (will even still fly AA if the time is right). And that's in real life, not for a planned news article.

I think that represents more than "posing" for a PR piece, good to here (of course I'm biased....) but that should be a positive for UA.
UA DL LH NW AA WN --- Next IND-DEN-RIW UA A319/CR2
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

AirbusA6

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 pm

c933103 wrote:
AirbusA6 wrote:
glbltrvlr wrote:

If you google the story title, then open that wsj link directly from google, it works fine!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

c933103

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:45 pm

If customers complain enough about tight seating space, American would change. He says that hasn’t happened.

Is it true that no one complained about seat space to AA..
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

cledaybuck

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
If customers complain enough about tight seating space, American would change. He says that hasn’t happened.

That's total bs. If people stopped paying for those seats, they would change.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Austin787

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Neither had to contend with a middle-seat neighbor to rub shoulders and sides or a passenger reclining in front of them.

The pictures in that article show the CEO's sitting in an empty section. Let's see if they feel the same after sitting in the middle seat on a completely full flight with the seat in front of them reclined.

Dreamworks

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:49 pm

waly777 wrote:

But what I can see here is passengers being given more choice tbh. Cheap seats with 31" pitch or pay a little more and get an extra legroom seat in Y. I still don't get why this is a foreign concept for airline pax when it applies in every other industry. I.e. you don't go to a car dealer with Toyota money and expect to get a Lexus or Mercedes of the same car type.

I think the difference here is that with cars, you have more options standard at around the same price than before. Air Conditioning, power windows and locks, etc. For many people who have bought a coach ticket, their seat has shrank around them. I totally understand that people want to pay less so they get less in return. But the car analogy is not the same here.

trpmb6
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Dreamworks wrote:
waly777 wrote:

I think the difference here is that with cars, you have more options standard at around the same price than before. Air Conditioning, power windows and locks, etc. For many people who have bought a coach ticket, their seat has shrank around them. I totally understand that people want to pay less so they get less in return. But the car analogy is not the same here.

I was almost about to agree with you because my wife just bought a new tahoe and the base model came with way more bells and whistles than my upgraded supped up truck i bought a few years ago. So just in a few years things became standard that used to be considered 'luxury'.

But then I started thinking about the economics of aircraft and realized that the airlines may be doing this (I said may - i'm just an engineer who works on structures not an airline economics expert here) to reduce total costs to these passengers. If they weren't packing us in like sardines they wouldn't have any passengers to pack in and we would all be stuck sitting at home wishing we could fly somewhere but it's just too expensive to do so.

waly777

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Dreamworks wrote:
waly777 wrote:

It does very much apply in this context as you pay for what you want. What you get is more tech, not a bigger car. Flying also gives you better tech vs a few years ago. IFE, wifi, online check in, mobile boarding pass, self checkin desks etc.

Flying is far cheaper and more affordable than ever before with clear differentiations being made for varying price points. With flying you now have choices too.. e.g a far wider choice of airlines and destinations, extra legroom, no bag, 1 bag, 2 bags, food or no food, Y, Y+, premium Y, J & F... as well many others i can't remember. You can tailor these to suit your preference.

Yes, the seat has shrank but so have the fares on average. If you wish to pay similar fares, you can get a bit more than 30" pitch for your money.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

keesje

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:32 pm

I made 4 flights with DL over the last 2 weeks; A330, M90 2x, 753. New seats with decent IFE, width, pitch & food.

The bad one came after that, KLM 777 10 abreast for long haul. They should put Elbers in that seat, anonimous, with family & friends.

DL has the courage to go 9 abreast on the 777. Unlike BA, SQ, JAL, Korean, KL & AF. I avoid 10 abr on 777 where possible. Ed gets my business.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

sabby

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:58 pm

keesje wrote:
DL has the courage to go 9 abreast on the 777. Unlike BA, SQ, JAL, Korean, KL & AF. I avoid 10 abr on 777 where possible. Ed gets my business.

While I commend DL on this, I have a feeling this has more do with their 777s not being the 300/300ER higher MTOW versions. In fact, if you take a look around, majority of the operators still configure the 772A/ER/LR economy as 9 abreast in international / long haul routes (incl UA/BA/JAL). And Btw, SQ haven't jumped the 10 abreast bandwagon yet and so are JAL/KE as far as I remember.

planecane

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:04 pm

c933103 wrote:

He didn't say no complaints. He said that they haven't gotten enough complaints. Also, from experience I can tell you that the new 737 30" configuration seems to have the same level of comfort as the 31" with the other seat. When they dropped to 31" years ago, there was a noticeable decrease in comfort from the prior pitch whatever it was at the time.

I don't know about the restrooms because I do everything possible to avoid using the lav on an airplane and, even at max range of a 737, I can successfully do so 99.9% of the time.

trpmb6
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm

planecane wrote:

I don't know about the restrooms because I do everything possible to avoid using the lav on an airplane and, even at max range of a 737, I can successfully do so 99.9% of the time.

While they did do a fairly good job of maximizing the space they are still downright claustrophobic. If you are forced to purchase two seats for medical reasons I recommend you empty every ounce before getting on the plane and avoid inflight beverage service. It's not going to be easy.

tjwgrr

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm

I loved this quote from Parker:

"He argues American only pushed rows together when they had skinnier seats “that allow the customer space to remain the same while adding another row of seats that allows us to take care of more customers.”

More accurately: ...."allows us to cram more in steerage class to boost revenue."
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Utah744

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 pm

Are they going to try the NEOs next?
You are never too old to learn something stupid

MSPNWA

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 pm

No surprise that DL has Bastian sit in their roomiest coach seat. Different story if you have him take a seat in their new A350.

Also, more either inaccurate reporting and/or there was a blatent falsehood stated by Bastian. It's not just DL A319s and A320s that have 30" pitch, and it's not a "relic" of the past, it's the current standard for DL going forward for their domestic fleet.

Prost

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 pm

I think people would be shocked what ticket prices would be if they got everything they wanted.

deltal1011man

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 am

waly777 wrote:
Not sure why it makes a difference that they sat in the seats, but it was nice to read that they regularly fly Y for domestic trips (lol most likely the extra legroom seats that's for sure).

Not in Ed’s case or the two CEOs before home

All three normally sat in Regular Y when flying domestically to give Elites and employees a better chance of an upgrade.

Have also seen Richard and Ed on jump seats so employees could get a regular seat

sabby wrote:
keesje wrote:

While I commend DL on this, I have a feeling this has more do with their 777s not being the 300/300ER higher MTOW versions. In fact, if you take a look around, majority of the operators still configure the 772A/ER/LR economy as 9 abreast in international / long haul routes (incl UA/BA/JAL). And Btw, SQ haven't jumped the 10 abreast bandwagon yet and so are JAL/KE as far as I remember.

It’s has nothing to do with 200 v 300.
Delta’s 777s are very dense compared to UA/AA without delta needing 3-4-3 seating

Oh and UA and BA are both going 3-4-3 in their 200s

mutu

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am

deltal1011man wrote:
waly777 wrote:
Not sure why it makes a difference that they sat in the seats, but it was nice to read that they regularly fly Y for domestic trips (lol most likely the extra legroom seats

Oh and UA and BA are both going 3-4-3 in their 200s

Not ALL 772's are being converted to 3-4-3 at BA, just to be clear. The programme has started with the LGW leisure fleet and once that is completed will move to certain LHR frames. Time will tell if they do eventually roll out across the entire 777 fleet.

DLHAM

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 am

Fly Ryanair, you could sit next to Michael O Leary. He flies Ryanair pretty often (at least was still the case a few years ago), without any blocked seats or whatever. He could afford flying business somewhere else or even a own jet.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

DoctorVenkman

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 am

Prost wrote:
I think people would be shocked what ticket prices would be if they got everything they wanted.

You're making it seem like the prices would double or triple which simply isn't true. All an airline would have to do is reduce the row count by ~10% which would increase the average seat pitch by about three inches. Then to make up for the lost seats they would have to charge an additional ~10% per ticket.

So for most domestic round trip tickets that would come out to an extra $20-40 for an extra three inches of legroom. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

DLHAM

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 am

My Instagram Account: Instagram

LAXtoATL

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:44 am

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Prost wrote:

You're making it seem like the prices would double or triple which simply isn't true. All an airline would have to do is reduce the row count by ~10% which would increase the average seat pitch by about three inches. Then to make up for the lost seats they would have to charge an additional ~10% per ticket.

So for most domestic round trip tickets that would come out to an extra $20-40 for an extra three inches of legroom. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Great! You just described Y+
You have that option today.

However, while you may be willing to pay the extra $20-$40 for the added comfort most Americans are not! And that is why you only see a handful of rows configured like instead of the entire cabin. It is called supply and demand. Most people wanted the cheapest fare possible period. It was a carrier like Spirit exists and has grown so fast fast despite a reputation for offering no comfort, no frills, no nothing. Just a cramped to seat to get you to your destination.

xdlx

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 am

jumbojet wrote:
rafflesking wrote:

they should also put a few rows of C+ on the A350's. They gotta take care of their high value customers who dont want to pay for the suite or E+

High Value Customers who do not want to pay? Must not create ANY value..... this is the problem IMO. ANY and ALL upgrades should have a cost, whether miles or cash, giving things for free..... creates entitlement. The WORST part of the DL product is the airport EXPERIENCE. Airplanes are OK but the airport checkin and overall experience is lacking given their reluctancy to embrace simpler and more user friendly CHECK IN & Boarding Processes.

DoctorVenkman

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:03 pm

LAXtoATL wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
Prost wrote:

Great! You just described Y+
You have that option today.

However, while you may be willing to pay the extra $20-$40 for the added comfort most Americans are not! And that is why you only see a handful of rows configured like instead of the entire cabin. It is called supply and demand. Most people wanted the cheapest fare possible period. It was a carrier like Spirit exists and has grown so fast fast despite a reputation for offering no comfort, no frills, no nothing. Just a cramped to seat to get you to your destination.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm well aware of Y+ and always fly it when I'm in economy class since I'm 6'5".

However, my larger point was to disprove the notion that reduced legroom is the sole reason for cheap fares. Smaller seats and reduced legroom have had an impact on the order of 10-20%, not 100-200% like many posters here seem to believe.

The biggest drivers of low fares are:

1. Fees that did not exist 20 years ago now subsidizing base fares
2. Better fleet utilization
3. More efficient aircraft (fuel burn is down about 40% from 1980)

keesje

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:14 pm

Airlines and an OE are doing everything to obscure they added an extra seat per row, most hurting adult man now permanently rubbing shoulders or being pushed into the the (narrowed, busy) aisle. Available space width per passenger was reduced by 2 inch for every passenger. Not the half inch some miss informed members tried to spread.

par13del

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I must admit to being shocked that a DL executive would break A.Net wisdom, for years we have heard how silly WN and B6 are for offering a seat pitch better than industry norm because no one pays for comfort and there is no metric to prove that they do, yet here we have DL making the same claim and no one says anything.
A.net is broken.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm

AirbusA6 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
AirbusA6 wrote:

If you google the story title, then open that wsj link directly from google, it works fine!

Off-topic, but no it doesn't. I tried many avenues. Might have to do with location...?
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

UpNAWAy

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
I loved this quote from Parker:

"He argues American only pushed rows together when they had skinnier seats “that allow the customer space to remain the same while adding another row of seats that allows us to take care of more customers.”

More accurately: ...."allows us to cram more in steerage class to boost revenue."

Is that also not taking care of more customers? Have you been on any flights this summer? they are all full all the time!

BTW I am pretty sure I read hear that once the reconfigure all the older B737s that is the equivalence of 26 new aircraft in total seats. That is a significant increase in availabe seats fro passengers and might even lower prices a bit.

eldiezonce

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:09 pm

Have them sit next to a 400lb woman on a transcon, spilling into your seat, see how they do.

WorldFlier

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:10 pm

eldiezonce wrote:
Have them sit next to a 400lb woman on a transcon, spilling into your seat, see how they do.

My solution is to raise the arm rest to contain their fat. If they complain...well let's just say I tell them to not spill into the area I paid for.

NCaviationfan

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 pm

United's media relations team let down their CEO big time by not participating in this article. Some out there will argue that the piece was a set-up and United was smart for not putting themselves in that situation. But, to WSJ readers who are not aviation geeks, it comes off as United avoiding something unflattering. In fact, I was with someone who was reading the article in the paper and pointed it out to me. They said it looked bad that United had declined comment and they don't know anything about the aviation industry.

DXTraveler

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Some people are easily influenced.

waly777

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
Prost wrote:

That's not how it works, prices cannot be raised and reduced without consequences. Raise prices like that and your pax will migrate to other carriers.

In addition, reducing capacity by 10% does not bring down the trip cost by 10%. By doing the above, the carrier will increase CASK, reduce RASK, reduce revenue and LF as well. I.e. bleed money for no good economical reason.

You will notice that the only time capacity reduces is when larger seats which can command more revenue in a different cabin or a seat which can earn more ancillary revenue are installed.

bkflyguy

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Remember how well American's "More Room Throughout Coach" program worked? People shop on price and maybe schedule, and the airlines know it.

trpmb6
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Very few people outside the av-geek community research seat sizes prior to booking. I hardly do anything these days beyond looking at maybe seatguru if i'm inquisitive enough. 75% of my decision making comes down to price, the other 25% comes down to timing and availability. This is partially due to me being in a smaller city with limited availability but even when I lived in seattle and my company was paying for my flights i still followed my personal habits.

keesje

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Very few people outside the av-geek community research seat sizes prior to booking. I hardly do anything these days beyond looking at maybe seatguru if i'm inquisitive enough. 75% of my decision making comes down to price, the other 25% comes down to timing and availability. This is partially due to me being in a smaller city with limited availability but even when I lived in seattle and my company was paying for my flights i still followed my personal habits.

I think FF 777 passengers know the difference between 10 abreast (UA, AA) and 9 abreast (DL).

I actively avoid 10 abreast 777 for years now and other travellers I talk to also. Too narrow.