Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymco753
Topic Author

Aeromexico adds DTW-QRO

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 pm

A few years ago, AM tried and failed DTW-MEX and MTY.

Now, AM operates 3 flights, one each from DTW to MEX, MTY, and BJX.

On September 17th, a fourth destination will come online as Aeromexico adds DTW-QRO.

Service will be 3x weekly on the E190.

https://www.facebook.com/AeromexicoNA/p ... =3&theater
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

MaverickM11

Re: Aeromexico adds DTW-QRO

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Solid business market, definitely not enough to fill a plane though. Talk about dubious timing...
I don't take responsibility at all

BenflysDTW

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Fantastic, it would be cool to see four Aeroméxico planes lined up at the international gates at Mcnamera on Monday’s and Friday’s.

kavok

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Nice add, and should work well with the industrial traffic on both sides. The AM E190, while smaller, is the perfect plane for this type of market.

nmdrdh787

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Firmly believe AM needs more E190 sized planes, as they are missing many market opportunities like this.

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
Firmly believe AM needs more E190 sized planes, as they are missing many market opportunities like this.
Maybe they can take some 190's off B6's hands?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

OA412

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:43 pm

The thread topic is AM announced a new route to DTW. Grammar lessons are not "on topic." Please remember this is an international website, and not everyone on here is a native English speaker. Thank you!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Alphazone

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Why didn't they add GDL, does someone know.
N664US The Spirit of Beijing
N670US World Plane - 50 Years Bridging the Pacific / The Alliance Spirit
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai
N675NW Spirit of the Northwest People

BenflysDTW

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:34 pm

I’m now thinking if they would announce GDL. Does anyone here know what the pax numbers are? That route would make AM very strong at DTW. However, this should discussed on the DTW thread. I think that we are getting closer to it.

BenflysDTW

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:35 pm

In the past I have seen charters on DL arrive from QRO, so there must be a market.

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Travel to GDL looks for low yields, something maybe AM can't offer.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Alphazone wrote:

DTW has some screaming high yield traffic to very specific auto manufacturing related destinations. MTY and QRO are some of them. GDL is not as much.
I don't take responsibility at all

Alphazone

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:24 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

DTW has some screaming high yield traffic to very specific auto manufacturing related destinations. MTY and QRO are some of them. GDL is not as much.

got it. I wonder why other Mexican carriers do not serve this VFR market at DTW.
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 pm

Alphazone wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

got it. I wonder why other Mexican carriers do not serve this VFR market at DTW.
GDL is a niche market at most. I think there was only 7,500 people last year who traveled between DTW and GDL, that’s roughly 21 a day which isn’t enough to justify a nonstop. If Volaris would offer this flight 3x weekly, yeah it would work.

Alphazone

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:03 am

flymco753 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

GDL is a niche market at most. I think there was only 7,500 people last year who traveled between DTW and GDL, that’s roughly 21 a day which isn’t enough to justify a nonstop. If Volaris would offer this flight 3x weekly, yeah it would work.

Makes sense
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 am

Alphazone wrote:

Because that’s not where the auto manufacturing is done. It’s almost all North Central Mexico.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:16 am

flymco753 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

How? 7500 passengers a year is 10 pdew. That’s not going to be attractive to anyone. At least with MTY and QRO there would be some higher fares.

bfitzflyer

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:29 am

Was down in Queretaro last year big auto manufacturing area as well as Monterey and state of Gunajuato.Has a chance to be a solid high yield add.

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

How? 7500 passengers a year is 10 pdew. That’s not going to be attractive to anyone. At least with MTY and QRO there would be some higher fares.
That 10.5 translates to 21 each way. 10.5 one way, which isn’t attractive. However, it is the next biggest Mexico market after QRO, since data suggests the top 5 largest markets aside from CUN, PVR, SJD, and CZM are MEX, MTY, BJX, QRO, and GDL respectively.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 am

flymco753 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That 10.5 translates to 21 each way. 10.5 one way, which isn’t attractive. However, it is the next biggest Mexico market after QRO, since data suggests the top 5 largest markets aside from CUN, PVR, SJD, and CZM are MEX, MTY, BJX, QRO, and GDL respectively.

Next biggest isn't meaningful when it is wholly inadequate.

Alphazone

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I think he provided some information, so why the hostility?
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

LAXdude1023

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:40 am

Alphazone wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I think he provided some information, so why the hostility?

What hostility? Its not a market that any carrier should be interested in.

abrelosojos

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 am

Continue to be impressed by their Network team. Clearly, BJX is doing well enough that QRO was added quickly. I also saw them adding CUN-MDE. Really impressed by their new network planning team as I keep saying. Lots of unconventional adds coming up - PUJ, LIR, MTY-MCO, and now these two.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

santi319

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:17 am

abrelosojos wrote:
Continue to be impressed by their Network team. Clearly, BJX is doing well enough that QRO was added quickly. I also saw them adding CUN-MDE. Really impressed by their new network planning team as I keep saying. Lots of unconventional adds coming up - PUJ, LIR, MTY-MCO, and now these two.

Saludos,
Alex

Yes, excellent team to be honest. Decentralizing MEX is a smart move because I see a big future in aviation in Mexico outside of MEX only routes. Smart indeed.

kavok

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Alphazone wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

Even in Mexico, Detroit still has a reputation that makes investors weary of wanting to start new service there. Not saying that reputation is fair, or really even accurate, but it’s there.

What has changed though is that the AM-DL JV has provided AM with a lot of inside information on hard passenger data (from DL) that shows what the DTW market can really support, and surprise, it is actually better than a lot of investor thought. Add on top of that all the Auto corporate accounts with DL, which can now ticket these flights, and that helps AM sell these flights as well.

iamaflyer

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

santi319 wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

Yes, excellent team to be honest. Decentralizing MEX is a smart move because I see a big future in aviation in Mexico outside of MEX only routes. Smart indeed.

Of course, great team, but my friend in the network team at Aeromexico tells me it is changing. Apparently, they had a huge internal organization, and the VP for network planning and strategy has been fired!!! I wonder if it is because of these silly experimental adds like you mention PUJ, LIR, CUN-MDE, DTW-QRO, BJX-QRO, and MTY-MCO. I mean, this is crazy. I dont know if it is true because I also heard he hated Mexico and is now going to start working for Emirates Airways. Does anyone know what happened?

abrelosojos

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

kavok wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Even in Mexico, Detroit still has a reputation that makes investors weary of wanting to start new service there. Not saying that reputation is fair, or really even accurate, but it’s there.

What has changed though is that the AM-DL JV has provided AM with a lot of inside information on hard passenger data (from DL) that shows what the DTW market can really support, and surprise, it is actually better than a lot of investor thought. Add on top of that all the Auto corporate accounts with DL, which can now ticket these flights, and that helps AM sell these flights as well.

= Exactly. This is how it is supposed to work from a JV perspective right? AM's senior network team who I keep saying is the best out there is doing exactly that. Using analysis quickly and making smart moves. What I like is the speed of these new adds, and how unconventional they are over the past 9 months. Good to see the airline awake. It is not only these adds, but look at the capacity expansions. Who would think AM would be triple daily in Vancouver, double daily in Quito, triple daily in Bogota, triple daily in Madrid?! I expect the team of Colin Aandahl and Arik De to be doing a lot more of these in the future. Let's see what they add next!!!

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

kavok

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:56 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
kavok wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

= Exactly. This is how it is supposed to work from a JV perspective right? AM's senior network team who I keep saying is the best out there is doing exactly that. Using analysis quickly and making smart moves. What I like is the speed of these new adds, and how unconventional they are over the past 9 months. Good to see the airline awake. It is not only these adds, but look at the capacity expansions. Who would think AM would be triple daily in Vancouver, double daily in Quito, triple daily in Bogota, triple daily in Madrid?! I expect the team of Colin Aandahl and Arik De to be doing a lot more of these in the future. Let's see what they add next!!!

Saludos,
Alex

Great points. I agree, and very much like what AM has been doing recently. A lot of overlooked opportunities for growth exist in the interior of the country, and it is great to see that finally being realized in a data driven manner.

Alphazone

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:54 pm

kavok wrote:

I doubt it, otherwise there would not be these new AM service to DTW, many posters here talk like they are experts but I doubt it, otherwise you would not be taking the time to write on here, with some meaningless buzzwords like "data driven", "using analysis quickly"
N671US City of Detroit
N673US City of Tokyo
N674US City of Shanghai

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 am

AM has so much feed and data by delta. I am sure they anayzed this before it was added.

They must have other markets that will feed the flight as well. The Auto industry in all of the Midwest maybe even Canada too could be enough to make this flight work. It seems impossible, but it's less than daily and can feed from tons of midwestern cities. There could be parts companies in Dayton, Akron etc etc all small in number but when you add it up are travelling to that part of Mexico and want a non stop and to avoid MEX. It's more then the big three, it's all the parts companies, suppliers, paint companies etc etc and not all are in DTW, I think the flight will get a boost from lots of other cities.

aemoreira1981

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:55 am

This is where DL holding onto the E190s could have helped; it could have held onto them as assets to lease to Aeromexico for expansion like this; they should standardize AM Connect around the E190 only. (As it is, eight of the frames ended up leased from NAC after the ex-AC E190s got traded around and DL sold them to NAC.) This is the kind of route that can work on the E190 but not on a 737...I would also wonder if the B737s could be replaced with the E190 as well, with mainline AC being just B738, B38M, B788, and B789.

As for the route itself, I see it as a placeholder at QRO until the new airport opens, then it will move to MEX.

flyingqueen

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:30 am

iamaflyer wrote:
santi319 wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

Of course, great team, but my friend in the network team at Aeromexico tells me it is changing. Apparently, they had a huge internal organization, and the VP for network planning and strategy has been fired!!! I wonder if it is because of these silly experimental adds like you mention PUJ, LIR, CUN-MDE, DTW-QRO, BJX-QRO, and MTY-MCO. I mean, this is crazy. I dont know if it is true because I also heard he hated Mexico and is now going to start working for Emirates Airways. Does anyone know what happened?

Haha. You people find very funny things! If you are referring to Arik their VP for network planning and strategy who has been there for past 8 months and pushed these changes, do not worry. He has not been fired and has not left Mexico. This is so funny. Next time I see him in a conference I will tell him. He actually has been promoted very quickly and from August 1st, he begins role as SVP for revenue, pricing, distribution, and alliances.

Also, me also thinks additions are very good. I wonder if they will announce another Asian destination as they have began teasing investors!!!! What will it be?

flymco753
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm fairly confident that AM wouldn't have added this if they didn't work together with Delta. The flights might not leave full but the auto money that commands a premium will make it work with connections.

I'm checking out destinations that you can connect to QRO from DTW and it gives you the whole east coast. That alone should help on top of local traffic.

compensateme

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 pm

AM/DL operate a JV - there’s no way AM would add this service without DL’s approval. I was skeptical with BJX was added, especially given the early struggles with MTY, but early peripheral data suggests the service has been successful, with flights often sold out even as plenty of cheap seats are available via ATL.

I’m surprised QRO hasn’t been loaded into GDS yet, but it could very well be that AM/DL is simply exploring swapping some ATL frequencyn for DTW. We’ll see.

But a.net is amusing - AM adds this service and the sky is falling. Had it been puzzlingly added to SLC or AUS, a.net would be “congrating” AM and complementing it for “another great add.”
We don’t care what your next flight is.

iamaflyer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:34 am

flyingqueen wrote:
iamaflyer wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Haha. You people find very funny things! If you are referring to Arik their VP for network planning and strategy who has been there for past 8 months and pushed these changes, do not worry. He has not been fired and has not left Mexico. This is so funny. Next time I see him in a conference I will tell him. He actually has been promoted very quickly and from August 1st, he begins role as SVP for revenue, pricing, distribution, and alliances.

Also, me also thinks additions are very good. I wonder if they will announce another Asian destination as they have began teasing investors!!!! What will it be?

Oh! I am sorry. My source told me this. Now it seems like Aero Mexico is also adding Belize. This is more strange than QRO-DTW no?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos