Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLPMMM

Re: Dua Lipa Criticizes United Flight Attendant on Twitter Over Response to Sister's Nut Allergy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Just remember, there would be no Twitter if we didn’t have lots of Twits.

YellowJ

Re: Dua Lipa Criticizes United Flight Attendant on Twitter Over Response to Sister's Nut Allergy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
YellowJ wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

Name a current female pop act with more streams than Dua Lipa, I'll wait.

Are you seriously using streams to justify someone as "one of the biggest pop stars right now" ?

Don't make me laugh.

Wow! You really *ARE* a generation behind...

(and I consider myself a grumpy old git because I still listen to stuff from the 1960s-2000s...)

You realise that streams is literally the main way of listening to music these days, right?

(I type this while listening to Superorganism streaming on my phone from an Internet "radio" station based in a different country...)

People are really revealing here just how out of touch they are - while thinking they sound superior. Amazing...

You do realize her popularity is being discussed, not her sales. Her streams are meaningless because she is unknown to most of the general public. You ask Jane or John Doe on the streets to name a famous popstar and odds you'd hear the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga etc. Household names who transcends sales alone. So no, she is not a mega star, not even close.

I assume a "old git" like yourself knows comprehension.

QB737

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:14 pm

F27500 wrote:
DDR wrote:
Why didn't the flight attendant just say that UA does not serve pre-packaged peanuts. His response was a little "dramatic."

An overly dramatic flight attendant? You're joking! ;)

As opposed to an overly dramatic wanna be pop diva looking for her 5 minutes of fame?

We only have her version of the interaction here.
Ben YVR

IPFreely

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:15 pm

YellowJ wrote:
You ask Jane or John Doe on the streets to name a famous popstar and odds you'd hear the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga etc. Household names who transcends sales alone. So no, she is not a mega star, not even close.

People who are known to the general public -- not just fans of their profession -- and who are known by one name only are on a totally different level.

Average or even above average PGA tour golfers are known to golf fans but probably not the general public. But mention "Tiger" and everyone knows who you are talking about, no last name even needed. The same thing goes for basketball fans and "LeBron", etc.

This Dua person's celebrity is not even close to Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga, or dozens (even hundreds) of other real celebrities.

nmdrdh787

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Some of the responses here... just wow.

bgm

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:09 pm

IPFreely wrote:
YellowJ wrote:
You ask Jane or John Doe on the streets to name a famous popstar and odds you'd hear the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga etc. Household names who transcends sales alone. So no, she is not a mega star, not even close.

People who are known to the general public -- not just fans of their profession -- and who are known by one name only are on a totally different level.

Average or even above average PGA tour golfers are known to golf fans but probably not the general public. But mention "Tiger" and everyone knows who you are talking about, no last name even needed. The same thing goes for basketball fans and "LeBron", etc.

This Dua person's celebrity is not even close to Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga, or dozens (even hundreds) of other real celebrities.

You realise there is a world outside of the United States?

Never heard of LeBron. By your standards that means he’s not famous, right?

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:41 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
... and for any RESPECTABLE airline as a crew member the reaction should have been “thank you for letting me know, how severe is your allergy? We will make sure to not serve any nuts onboard, and we will ask all passengers to refrain from consuming nuts onboard this flight (...).” That is god damn customer service!

That's not customer service. That's disadvantaging all other passengers for the possible benefit of one. Only in America, I suppose.

XLA2008 wrote:
It’s our job to give good customer service and keep the environment safe... she was asking crew to help keep her sister safe, that’s our damn job! If y’all don’t like it, maybe none of you should ever get onboard an aircraft, because clearly you have NO respect for anyone but yourself and putting you in an environment surrounded by others, isn’t a good idea, next time y’all travel... go in your own car alone then you can eat all the nuts you like!

Maybe this 'famous' passenger and her sister should take a car or private plane.

Nothing wrong with alerting a crew member of a nut allergy. Nothing wrong with a crew member stating the flight isn't nut free.

But a big no to a crew member like you who thinks one passenger is more important than all the others.

What's next? "I am allergic to alcohol." "Sir, we will make sure to not serve any alcohol onboard, and we will ask all passengers to refrain from consuming alcohol onboard this flight." :evil:

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:59 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
Fox News, People Magazine, and Yahoo, the Sun, the Independent, and a zillion other places today now have a story that Dua Lipa is unhappy with United Airlines.

And a few hours later they all have articles about something else. This 'news' will be forgotten quickly, as it should be, and people will continue to fly United Airlines.

When I plan on buying a plane ticket, I am not interested in the fact that some 'famous' person is unhappy with a certain airline. Schedule, price, aircraft type is what matters to me.

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:18 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
I said she was a famous pop artists at the moment, which is all the info you need.

I you have to say that someone is famous, than that person is not famous. ;)

But I have heard of her. And I like some of her songs.

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:27 pm

XLA2008 wrote:
I think you will find it’s most airlines policy to not serve nuts onboard if someone has an allergy, everybody passenger is treated the same, it’s called respect something your parents clearly didn’t bring you up with! Lol

I think it has nothing to do with respect. More with the omnipresent fear in the United States for law suits.

My favourite airline keeps serving delicious nuts, which makes me happy. And my parents thought me plenty of respect. Nothing "Lol" about that. Have a nice day.

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
She is indeed very famous around the world and her music is cool, game-changing.

That last word is only allowed for discussing the 787! ;)

But I don't see how her music is game changing, let alone how the 787 is game changing. The term should be banned from this website. :old:

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 pm

gatibosgru wrote:

What are streams? Do they make you famous?

Momo1435

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

What are streams? Do they make you famous?

Youtube, Spotify, etc...

And yes that makes people famous, very famous.

The biggest difference with fame nowadays compared to even a decade ago is that it's all more fragmented, it's not as clear any more as it's not the mainstream media any more that produces famous people. With social media it's much more easy to promote someone to a very specific audience, and that specific audience can be very large, but might not always include you or me.

MartijnNL

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Thank you Momo1435 for the explanation. I also listen/watch music via Youtube. Didn't know it was called streaming. # Feeling Old

IPFreely

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:46 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Maybe this 'famous' passenger and her sister should take a car or private plane.

While I had never heard of this person, I read a little more about her. Whether or not she's famous is debatable, as this thread shows. But she definitely isn't wealthy enough for private jet travel.

MartijnNL wrote:
What's next? "I am allergic to alcohol." "Sir, we will make sure to not serve any alcohol onboard, and we will ask all passengers to refrain from consuming alcohol onboard this flight." :evil:

Seems reasonable.

A significant number of people are lactose intolerant. Far more than are allergic to nuts, by the way. So airlines should stop serving milk, cheese, ice cream, and stop offering cream with coffee.

Egg allergies are very common in children, so no more eggs either.

Karlsands

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:21 am

Seems like another attention Hooooe , not sure why you are defending her on the get go like a fan Girl

Atlwarrior

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:51 am

Mods why is thread still active?

millionsofmiles

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 am

XLA2008 wrote:

Reading these replies is sad... the days of Pan Am Service is long gone clearly!

I've known many Pan Am flight attendants from long before its demise and their salty responses to passengers would put the UA flight attendant discussed in this thread to shame. I loved Pan Am but this dissection of behavior none of us witnessed, and comparing it to an imaginary historical standard, is kind of ridiculous.

SQ22

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 am

Thread went off topic and will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos