atlflyer
Topic Author

Delta Intl’ Economy Meal Trial

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:32 am

Delta is currently testing a restaurant style meal service where customers order their appetizers and entrees and each is delivered separately. Looks promising.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... j=82932981

And first review of it:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/delta- ... -portland/

QueenoftheSkies

Re: Delta Intl’ Economy Meal Trial

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:19 am

Wow sounds and looks amazing for coach. I’m sure the flight attendants are less than thrilled with these enhancements. Lol

Gemuser

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 am

Lets hope, on INTERNATIONAL flights they use the word "entrees" correctly! Not the strange North American usage.

FlyHappy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:41 am

Bravo to DL for at least trying, whether it sticks or not.
Its not too late or futile to try to elevate the Y experience.

Insertnamehere

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:14 am

Delta has been doing quite well to make their international Y experience quite good. Flew with them round trip JFK-AGP-JFK a few weeks ago and the service was much more genuine than with American which was my previous allegiance, the food was much better for sure (for some reason the salads on American were wretched) they've been really doing well in investing in their soft product.

IPFreely

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:31 am

Salad with pine nuts. Followed by pasta with cauliflower and walnuts. Does anyone know if Dua Lipa and her entourage are planning to fly Delta anytime soon?

Edited for the pedantic posters - yes, pine nuts are technically seeds, not nuts. But most people with nut allergies avoid them anyway.

COEWR2587

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:55 am

I actually think this is dumb. Especially on night flights. I want sleep, now my subpar economy meal is going to take twice as long to serve because they want to do multiple trips down the aisle to create a “restaurant” vibe. Now I got stuff sitting on my table tray for twice as long. Please! The 2nd meal should also be hot. 9 hour flight and the pre arrival breakfast a fruit and pastry? Hardly “enhanced”
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

reynan

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 am

COEWR2587 wrote:
I actually think this is dumb. Especially on night flights. I want sleep, now my subpar economy meal is going to take twice as long to serve because they want to do multiple trips down the aisle to create a “restaurant” vibe. Now I got stuff sitting on my table tray for twice as long. Please! The 2nd meal should also be hot. 9 hour flight and the pre arrival breakfast a fruit and pastry? Hardly “enhanced”

You have a choice - don't fly Delta.
At least they are trying.

csturdiv

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:17 am

reynan wrote:
COEWR2587 wrote:

You have a choice - don't fly Delta.
At least they are trying.

Or there is always the option of maybe asking for everything at once.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

FA9295

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:41 am

Interesting choice for Delta to trial run this only on their NRT-PDX route. I wonder why that route was chosen.

smi0006

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:48 am

It looks like it’s still served from a cart not by hand, just with no tray.

I believe QF have been doing this for years, but with no separate entree- but separate desert service. Good product and make moving out of year seat easier with no tray.

TW870

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:52 am

Gemuser wrote:
Lets hope, on INTERNATIONAL flights they use the word "entrees" correctly! Not the strange North American usage.

Ha! When I was a UA flight attendant we were forbidden from using the strange North American "entree" and were required to say "main course". Any Pan Am folks on here? Did you all call the carts for main courses "entree carts" like we did at UA? I think we inherited that from you (I was SFO-based and flew with lots of PA folks), but it also could have come from our own DC-10 and 747 carts before 1986.

Love this presentation idea from Delta, and I hope it sticks. The key issue, though, will be flight attendant staffing. If they make this change to the service with the same number of Y class flight attendants, the service is going to take longer. Not only are you going to have to set up and staff the appetizer cart, but the pickup is going to take longer from the appetizer course, which will take bodies away from getting set up for the main course delivery. One of the reasons they are going to do this is to cut catering costs, because there is far less labor for setting up the trays at the flight kitchen in the new model. But it is going to be more work for flight attendants since they are not just handing out a single tray. I think flight attendants will like delivering a nice service and will welcome it - unless the longer delivery times create negative interactions with passengers.

airzona11

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:10 am

FA9295 wrote:
Interesting choice for Delta to trial run this only on their NRT-PDX route. I wonder why that route was chosen.

No competition non-stop and not a lot of connecting traffic. My initial thoughts would be easier to isolate the consumer's reaction to the food.

tpaewr

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:25 am

Interesting given that UA just stripped down J service to something near premerger UA levels (plus CO style desert cart) in the name of sleep time.

LAXLHR

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 am

I have to admit, DL is really trying...no doubt they picked up some tips from VS (although perhaps these little touches would not work for a small carrier like VS) but DL could and can possibly make the economics work.

I feel that human beings should be treated as such, and this is very very positive! Ughh, nice job DL. Ok, without the Ughhh.

Nice job DL!
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

PanzerPowner

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:39 am

I'm wondering how this affects special meal and the sort. Also what happens to those good old mid Pacific ice cream sandwiches... I always sent my little sister to grab two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

julio777

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 am

This is just great, looking at the flight report, huge improvement quality of meals as well. Kudos Delta

max999

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:09 am

COEWR2587 wrote:

Chill out...this is only a trial. And if you bothered to check Delta's schedule, you'll find both the origin from Portland and the return from Tokyo start during the day. So if you fly this flight, the new meal schedule isn't going to intrude on your sleep any more than the standard meal service.

I'm confident service adjustments will be made to accommodate for sleep when the trial starts for red eye night flights.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

StuckInCA

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:26 am

I posted something on another website about this in April. I experienced it on PDX-NRT and in my opinion it was AWFUL. I also let delta know what I thought. I was not alone in hating it.

Service was VERY (VERY!!) slow. There was less food than normal. Fewer drinks. More confusion. It was BAD. Nothing positive except the marketing spin.

N415XJ

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 am

The improved food quality and more choices look really good, but the extra time it takes doesn't seem worth it for customers and will probably be annoying for the FAs. If I were flying on an eastbound daytime flight the extra time wouldn't be a problem but westbound I usually just want to eat and then go to bed asap. I wonder if they could have a starters cart lead, followed by a meal then drink cart? It wouldn't extend the service by that much and everything can just be taken away at once. Of course, I have no idea how meal service logistics works. The main issue I can see with this is a limited number of carts; FAs need to serve starters then refill their carts with meals. If the plan I outlined wouldn't be possible, I'd honestly choose to pass on the 'bistro experience' and instead take the better meals and maybe a better desert that isn't pre-packaged, like a cake or one of KLM's ethereal and generously portioned mousses.

Doublecatered

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:21 am

Like somebody mentioned earlier, Qantas have been doing the same for a while now ... no trays.
It is absolutely a cost saving measure in that all the work that was done by the catering staff has now been transferred to cabin crew.
Everything is bulk loaded onto the aircraft and the crew have to assemble and distribute everything individually.
It’s an absolute nightmare
God I miss the trays

And don’t even get me started on the amount of trash this concept generates. As nothing is washed and reused, it’s all thrown out so u can just imagine the waste

gatibosgru

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 am

Makes a lot of sense, glad to see it coming from DL.
@DadCelo

PanzerPowner

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 am

If this was Reddit one might say r/lostredditors

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

AIR MALTA

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 am

Great stuff from DL. Refreshing to see some airlines investing on their economy passengers. Flown DL from Kahului to Paris via Seattle. I have enjoyed both flights. Great flight attendants and plenty of drinks and food on the international leg. They still offer an amenity kit too. Their 777 look smart and are not cramped as other airlines. On the domestic leg they still offered lots of drinks and snacks. They are way above some European airlines like the stingy and mean British Airways. Who would have thought.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

nonflier

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:19 am

StuckInCA wrote:
Service was VERY (VERY!!) slow. There was less food than normal. Fewer drinks. More confusion. It was BAD. Nothing positive except the marketing spin.

That's the problem in economy with this kind of service (though the idea per se is good). Imagine if DL had 380s, it would likely be a total mess. I also think it's good marketing for DL, but I don't believe it will be extended to all (international) flights.

ScroogeMcDuck

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:32 am

FA9295 wrote:

PDX is a small domicile/base for DL flight attendants, which makes it easier to manage training and support.

oldannyboy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 am

:lol:
IPFreely wrote:
Salad with pine nuts. Followed by pasta with cauliflower and walnuts. Does anyone know if Dua Lipa and her entourage are planning to fly Delta anytime soon?

Edited for the pedantic posters - yes, pine nuts are technically seeds, not nuts. But most people with nut allergies avoid them anyway.

:lol:

oh gawd...let's just hope not!

jumbojet

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am

StuckInCA wrote:
I posted something on another website about this in April. I experienced it on PDX-NRT and in my opinion it was AWFUL. I also let delta know what I thought. I was not alone in hating it.

As it is a very new service, it will probably take a little while for things to flow more smoothly, hence why this 'meal trial' is slated to last as long as it is. I bet if you compare the service between when you experienced it and now it will be night and day.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out but as others have said, kudos to DL for wanting to improve the coach 'experience' and as usual, DL leads the pack. AA will follow this closely and will implement something of their own next if this is a success. UA will eventually follow AA.

oldannyboy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:45 am

atlflyer wrote:
Delta is currently testing a restaurant style meal service where customers order their appetizers and entrees and each is delivered separately. Looks promising.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... j=82932981

And first review of it:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/delta- ... -portland/

Wow. Nice. Kudos to DL.

Cointrin330

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 am

smi0006 wrote:
It looks like it’s still served from a cart not by hand, just with no tray.

I believe QF have been doing this for years, but with no separate entree- but separate desert service. Good product and make moving out of year seat easier with no tray.

Flew QF from SYD to LAX (and then on to JFK) last year. They did serve the appetizer and the main course in Y separately. Dessert followed. All the portions looked and felt smaller than they would have been if just assembled on a tray.

LINYUSA

Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Gemuser wrote:

In Canada & the U.S., an entree is the main dish; one eats it after the appetizer. The usage is not strange to the approximately 355 million English speakers who employ it every day.

Exeiowa

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I have to use Delta for work, and over the last few years flying international, I have seen the quality rising. I would say frustration at slow service is proportional to how far back your seat is, the further back the longer you watch that cart rumble towards you! Got rerouted on LH once because of weather and the catering offer was on a different level to what I got on Delta.

evank516

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I think this is great. IIRC, doesn't EK do this style of dining too? I know EK is more on demand and you can eat whenever you want, but the menu style here is really a nice touch and having separate courses is probably a good idea.

Tucker1

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:39 pm

LINYUSA wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

In Canada & the U.S., an entree is the main dish; one eats it after the appetizer. The usage is not strange to the approximately 355 million English speakers who employ it every day.

Strange North American usage? Main dish sounds "strange" to most of us here. To each their own.

tlecam

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Tucker1 wrote:
LINYUSA wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Strange North American usage? Main dish sounds "strange" to most of us here. To each their own.

In the rest of the world, an entree is a small course prior to a larger one. For whatever reason in the US (I don't know the history or the etymology), it means the main course.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Sancho99504

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Such negativity. Trying something new, with new food options and most complainers haven't even tried it. I don't have enough room on my table in J for all the food, so I can only imagine how much less room you have in Y.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

PRAirbus

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Bravo, Delta! always innovating! Great experiment, hope it sticks. The other USA Major carriers wouldn't even dare such a move; they would have labor revolts!

global1

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm

This trial has been on-going for months now. If implemented, it will be a huge change so they have to be confident that they've got it right. I assume the next step will possibly be to expand the test to other markets before a system-wide launch. 75 flight attendants and Pursers were invited to ATL recently for a static demonstration so that they could experience the service themselves from the customers' perspective.

It's been limited to the same route in part so that the same f/a (PDX is a small base) have delivered the service over and over again and provide feedback on service delivery, issues such as waste, etc.....
Net promoter scores on this route have gone up significantly.

After all, at the end of the day you're either climbing, playing 'catch-up', or merely given up

Delta continues to move ahead of their major US competitors.
Last edited by global1 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judge1310

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:16 pm

tlecam wrote:
Tucker1 wrote:
LINYUSA wrote:

In the rest of the world, an entree is a small course prior to a larger one. For whatever reason in the US (I don't know the history or the etymology), it means the main course.

Calm down boys and girls -- it's amazing that some folks have got their knickers in a bunch based on one word. Have we forgotten about pairs like : trunk/boot, panties/knickers, dress/frock, truck/lorry, etc etc etc...

My word! Grab a glass of champagne :champagne: (or tea :coffee: if you like) and chillllllll :cool2:

jayunited

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Wow sounds and looks amazing for coach. I’m sure the flight attendants are less than thrilled with these enhancements. Lol

I congratulate DL this is a true enhancement for economy passengers however I did notice at the end of The Points Guy review he did not the FA's said the meal service took about an hour longer than usual, since DL is still in the test phase I'm sure they will find a way to reduce that service time but did note that the portion sizes were noticeably larger than his earlier flight over to Asia. The extremely small portion sizes have been a have frustrated passengers on U.S. carriers for years it is nice to see an airline is finally starting to pay attention and increase the portion sizes in coach.

With that being said the biggest benefit of this project will be the money DL saves in fuel cost. Delta operates a lot of international flights that is a lot of trays and those trays have weight to them when you multiply the weight saved by removing the trays it becomes a win win for DL and their passengers.

atlflyer
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:04 pm

I think the only thing missing from this service is one more addition... like cheese and crackers or bread. Just the appetizer and entree/main alone don’t seem like enough.

AA777223

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:24 pm

I really applaud Delta for offering this. It's definitely appreciated for Y travelers, and seeing as sleep is more elusive when sitting upright, the extended service may be a nice distraction on TPAC flights.

I do see the concerns some have expressed over service speed. I fly J (on UA, NH or LH usually) most often internationally, and I have had several times where I had to stuff my dishes somewhere so I could stow my tray table and get to sleep, because it took so long for them to be cleared. I tend to sit as far forward in the cabin as possible. The times I fly Y internationally (again, always sitting in the first few rows of the cabin), I tend to find the most frustrating part of the flight is the 30-45 minutes I have to sit with a dirty food tray in front of me, while I would rather run to the lav to freshen up and get to sleep without worrying about knocking everything into my lap.

I am definitely not complaining, as I do see this as a perk for sure. I just see the wrinkles that they may want to iron out through this trial period.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

redroo

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:35 pm

As others have said, QF have been doing this for a while both internationally and domestically.

The plus was that qantas increased the meal size, quality and options. You get a choice of two hot meals or a salad domestically trans con. Can’t speak for international. At the time of giving you the box you get some cheese and crackers and a drink. Later they come through with ice cream and before landing a chocolate. And they do all this on the short MEL PER (3.5hr) too.

Still miss the trays though. As we all know the seat back tray tables are filthy! :-)

BobbyPSP

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Do they serve the first course with initial beverage service? Just doesn't look like enough food for ATL PVG for example. NYC

gatibosgru

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Major props to DL. Once again leading the way for US airlines.
@DadCelo

gatibosgru

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:42 pm

BobbyPSP wrote:
Do they serve the first course with initial beverage service? Just doesn't look like enough food for ATL PVG for example. NYC

PDX-NRT is much shorter than ATL-PVG. I'm pretty sure there's an extra meal and snack run on the longer flights.
@DadCelo

Gemuser

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:09 am

LINYUSA wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

But it is to the other 6-7 hundred million English speakers! My main point is ambiguity, Americans seem to take it for granted that everybody understands their usage, not so! [BTW Canadians are much more aware of this!].

Gemuser

AtomicGarden

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:33 am

That catering made me hungry! I'm not too fond of the 3 meal course, but if served only twice (entree and then main+dessert) that might be nice.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

DDR

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 am

Congrats to DL. Don’t understand people complaining on here. Can bet that 99% of the people complaing have not experienced this service.

BobbyPSP

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:52 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:

PDX-NRT is much shorter than ATL-PVG. I'm pretty sure there's an extra meal and snack run on the longer flights.

Um, I quite understand that. The point is it is not enough food in my opinion. None of the US big3 serves a full third meal on flights like EWR HKG/DFW PVG etc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos