Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Debris falls from Delta flight experiencing engine issue over Nashville

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 pm

I had not seen this. Anyone have any additional info? It appears by looking at Flightaware that it was an MD-88.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/07/2 ... rning.html
Whatever

fpetrutiu

Re: Debris falls from Delta flight experiencing engine issue over Nashville

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Unconstrained engine fail probably a blade got lose or broke. Glad everyone is safe. These can be very dangerous, especially on an MD88 with the engine's close proximity to all hydraulic lines and cork screw that actuates the elevator on this aircraft.
Florin
Orlando, FL

danman132x

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Quotes like this kind of tick me off. Completely uneducated about aviation. These things happen and Delta has one of the best maintence teams there is.
Kerry Walters, an employee with Nashville Rubber and Gasket, told WSMV. "It's very concerning that planes are maybe not inspected the way they should be before takeoff."

evank516

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Yup, DL2599 was indeed an MD-88.

WN732

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:56 pm

I love how the article shows an A320

catiii

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:09 pm

fpetrutiu wrote:
Unconstrained engine fail probably a blade got lose or broke. Glad everyone is safe. These can be very dangerous, especially on an MD88 with the engine's close proximity to all hydraulic lines and cork screw that actuates the elevator on this aircraft.

"Unconstrained?" Do you mean uncontained?

ubeema

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:27 pm

danman132x wrote:
Quotes like this kind of tick me off. Completely uneducated about aviation. These things happen and Delta has one of the best maintence teams there is.
Kerry Walters, an employee with Nashville Rubber and Gasket, told WSMV. "It's very concerning that planes are maybe not inspected the way they should be before takeoff."

Come on man it is not like she made that comment on a.net. You may be knowledgeable because you travel a lot or work in aviation but for every day people this is an exceptional event.

fpetrutiu

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:59 pm

catiii wrote:
fpetrutiu wrote:

Darn autocorrect. Yes that is what I meant.
Florin
Orlando, FL

litz

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 pm

this was (apparently) very much a contained failure ... everything inside stayed inside, other than what was ejected out the tailpipe as very small chopped up bits.

Uncontained is what happens when you eject pieces of engine that smack against the side of your fuselage (or penetrate it).

flyfresno

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 pm

Can’t retire those MD88s fast enough. Showing their age big time...

N776AU

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:00 pm

I knew before I clicked to open that this was going to be an MD-88. Those old rust buckets need to go.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

jfern022

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 pm

N776AU wrote:
I knew before I clicked to open that this was going to be an MD-88. Those old rust buckets need to go.

Some of the stupidest comments on here

FlyHappy

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:11 pm

if we're gonna rush to retire every type that has experienced an engine failure, none of us are gonna be doing a lot of flying.

catiii

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 pm

fpetrutiu wrote:
catiii wrote:
fpetrutiu wrote:

Darn autocorrect. Yes that is what I meant.

Doesn't sound like it is uncontained to me. The engine contained the failure.

catiii

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:26 pm

flyfresno wrote:

Go look up the engine failures by type, and then see if they're showing their age.

Everyone's an expert huh?

stratclub

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:41 pm

jfern022 wrote:
N776AU wrote:

Seems like a fair statement since the aircraft very likely is 30 years old. Really stupid comment, though.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet
Delta is known for its policy of generally buying older generation or used aircraft and for continuing to fly aircraft for 20-30 years, much longer than most other major airlines. As such, it has one of the oldest fleets of any American airline, with an average fleet age of 16.7 years as of 31 December 2017.

flyfresno

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:09 pm

catiii wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Go look up the engine failures by type, and then see if they're showing their age.

It’s not just about engine failures. Unless someone is willing to provide (proprietary) MX/MEL data, neither of us is going to win this arguement, but I would be willing to wager that the MD-88s have more mx issues than any of the newer DL aircraft (737-900s, A321s, etc). There are plenty of public articles talking about how DL is being forced to spend a lot of money to keep them around longer than planned on account of the whole A-220 delay, although some of that is on routine checks.

catiii

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 pm

stratclub wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
N776AU wrote:

Seems like a fair statement since the aircraft very likely is 30 years old. Really stupid comment, though.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet
Delta is known for its policy of generally buying older generation or used aircraft and for continuing to fly aircraft for 20-30 years, much longer than most other major airlines. As such, it has one of the oldest fleets of any American airline, with an average fleet age of 16.7 years as of 31 December 2017.

Except those who know also know that age isn't an indicator of the aircraft's fitness or reliability.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:05 am

Good gosh, the comments on this thread are atrocious even for a.net.

I hope you all realize this is more of an issue associated with the engine, a JT8D, than anything necessarily specific to the MD-88.

Secondly the age of the aircraft doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with it, but age of specific engine components and timing since maintenance intervals may certainly be a factor.

Also note all of said engine issues on much newer engine models so it’s not necessarily the outright age of the airframe.

BatonOps

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 am

Que all the A.Net drama queens and Delta haters...

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:31 am

FlyHappy wrote:
if we're gonna rush to retire every type that has experienced an engine failure, none of us are gonna be doing any flying.

Fixed it so that it reads correct...

Is there even a single engine type that has not had a failure in flight?

Have a great day,

osiris30

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:38 am

flyfresno wrote:
catiii wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

It’s not just about engine failures. Unless someone is willing to provide (proprietary) MX/MEL data, neither of us is going to win this arguement, but I would be willing to wager that the MD-88s have more mx issues than any of the newer DL aircraft (737-900s, A321s, etc). There are plenty of public articles talking about how DL is being forced to spend a lot of money to keep them around longer than planned on account of the whole A-220 delay, although some of that is on routine checks.

Based on? Those older AC are actually likely to be easier to maintain due to their lower complexity and over engineering. Older frames were built with larger tolerances on almost every part because the tech wasn't where it is today. There is also no FBW or other "tricky" systems.

The DC9 (aka md80 aka 717) frames are just workhorses and have been for decades. I would expect a MadDog to have better dispatch reliability rather than worse.

Also as someone else pointed out, look at all the engine issues grounding 787s and 320s right now.Those old engines don't have those issues.

Delta is having to spend money not due to reliability issues but due to heavy checks that come with n cycles. Airlines usually try to avoid those wherever they can.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

N766UA

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 am

fpetrutiu wrote:

What are you actually talking about?

Dalmd88

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 am

fpetrutiu wrote:

Wow, blades don't just get loose.They crack and break, or something hits them (FOD). The engines on the MD are not in any closer proximity to the hydraulic lines than any other type. Every engine has hydraulic lines going to it. The pump that powers the system is on the gearbox. Yes, there is an electric pump back up on the airframe, but every plane has engine driven pumps as it's primary. As for the "corkscrew that actuates the elevator", pretty much way off here. Elevators, like all Douglas planes, uses good old cables. No hydraulic system at all. Just a cable moving a tab on the elevator. I think what you might be thinking of is the jackscrew that moves the horizontal stab for trim. BTW it is very much like the jackscrew on most Boeings and Airbus.

So, is the failure rate of the MD higher than others. I don't know the numbers, but I would bet yes. I think it has always been higher. It is just older tech. The engines just don't last as long on wing. Is it safe? I have no problem flying on a DL MD88. I was on one last week and will be on two next weekend.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos