Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

Rumor: Royal Air Maroc (RAM) To Start Miami

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Getting word that RAM is set to operate service between Casablanca and Miami beginning in April 2019 with a 787.

Thoughts?

- Miami :airplane:
Last edited by Miami on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami
Topic Author

Re: Rumor: Royal Air Maroc (RAM) To Start Miami

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:48 pm

They have applied with US DoT for exemption authority.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

MAH4546

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Yup. Application is in with DOT. Great add for RAM. Gonna guess 3x weekly on a 787-8. Application does not specify.
a.

winGl3t

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:20 pm

They are expanding well taking advantage of the good location of Morocco.

Their flights to Brazil are full of people connecting to Europe and are usually the cheapest option close to departure. Guess they'll target the same market (1 stop to Europe) from MIA.

Miami
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 pm

I forgot to add that RAM has interest in joining OneWorld. Would be nice to see some codeshares with AA from MIA.

spinkid

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:48 pm

Interesting addition. Connections through MIA that are international are difficult. There isn't a VFR market here like their other North American markets. Good luck to them if they indeed launch this!

globalflyer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Really great news and add for MIA!!!
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

Geminijets101

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 am

Great to hear! For the longest time I’ve had a feeling RAM would fly to MIA!
Cíao

NickolayAv

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:30 am

Miami wrote:
I forgot to add that RAM has interest in joining OneWorld. Would be nice to see some codeshares with AA from MIA.

OneWorld? I feel like SkyTeam would make a lot more sense for the airline given that it codeshares with 2 OW airlines compared to 4 SkyTeam airlines.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

Miami
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Should be approved very soon.

I can’t imagine they’ll have any trouble getting approved, given that the US and Morocco both participate in Open Skies.

AIRTRANSAT767

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:37 pm

I also hope Toronto
i love air transat and fan all boeing

georgiabill

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Hopefully RAM will consider BOS in the future. 3 or 4 weekly might work.

2travel2know2

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:05 pm

winGl3t wrote:

Their flights to Brazil are full of people connecting to Europe and are usually the cheapest option close to departure. Guess they'll target the same market (1 stop to Europe) from MIA.
Is like if travellers between MIA and Europe fly via LIS, why not via CMN?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

9w748capt

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:45 pm

I have no idea why my post was deleted so I'm gonna say the say thing again because my post did not violate any rules.

Original post:
Now it will be that much easier for Nicole to visit!

eal

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:18 pm

If true, it would mean MIA's only non-stop to Africa, putting it one flight away (Oceania) from joining the Six Continents Club. Of course, a true Asian non-stop would be appreciated.

Furthermore, a lot is being made about the connections to Europe, but there's potential for Africa connections as well, specifically JNB and LOS.

Miami
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:36 pm

eal wrote:
If true

Oh it's true..

nmdrdh787

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Is MIA that hot? Another thread had UIA looking at flying there too.

Just wondering, I know next to nothing about the market.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:

Not "hot," but it is the second largest U.S.-Europe market, so it has an extensive trans-Atlantic network and around 25-28 airlines fly trans-Atlantic from MIA/FLL to about 30 cities in Europe and the Middle East.

There's a large Ukrainian community in South Florida, probably second to NYC I would guess, hence UIA.
a.

Miami
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:40 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:

UIA said they wish to fly to Miami around 2020. There's a pretty large community in South Florida.

For your other question.. "Hot" as in new service/airlines? I'd say it's close. Each year MIA gets 1 or 2 new airlines. And with 787s and A350s being delivered to long-haul airlines, it sure helps them reach MIA (which isn't the best place on the map to fly to in terms of range).

I still expect a East Asian airline to come in within a year or two. But that's another story. I'm just glad we're getting African service.

Don't sleep on Miami, folks. There maybe a lot of drama and whatnot but Miami is a city filled with surprises.

continental004

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 pm

RAM flies to a lot of secondary French and Spanish cities. Lots of connecting traffic potential there.

F27500

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm

9w748capt wrote:
I have no idea why my post was deleted so I'm gonna say the say thing again because my post did not violate any rules.

Original post:

Do we know who Nicole is ?

MAH4546

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 pm

F27500 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Original post:

There's a very popular reality show in the States called 90 Day Fiancé. Nicole is a woman who lives in Florida and her fiancé lives in Morocco.
a.

peterj324

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:04 am

MAH4546 wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

Not "hot," but it is the second largest U.S.-Europe market, so it has an extensive trans-Atlantic network and around 25-28 airlines fly trans-Atlantic from MIA/FLL to about 30 cities in Europe and the Middle East.

There's a large Ukrainian community in South Florida, probably second to NYC I would guess, hence UIA.

I know MIA is a very large international airport, especially to South and Central American but is it really the 2nd largest transatlantic market? I have to imagine that ORD, IAD, and BOS are all larger transatlantic markets.

Anyways, not surprised to see them start MIA, they can offer connections without too much deviation to much of Central Europe, although the 3x weekly frequency may make things tough. Hopefully they can stimulate some demand.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 am

peterj324 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

I know MIA is a very large international airport, especially to South and Central American but is it really the 2nd largest transatlantic market? I have to imagine that ORD, IAD, and BOS are all larger transatlantic markets.

Anyways, not surprised to see them start MIA, they can offer connections without too much deviation to much of Central Europe, although the 3x weekly frequency may make things tough. Hopefully they can stimulate some demand.

Yes, it is absolutely the second largest trans-Atlantic travel market. Roughly 30% of trans-Atlantic travel is to/from NYC and 10% is to/from Miami. And the third and fourth largest are LA and SF, not Chicago, DC or Boston.
a.

9w748capt

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:05 am

MAH4546 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Original post:

There's a very popular reality show in the States called 90 Day Fiancé. Nicole is a woman who lives in Florida and her fiancé lives in Morocco.

Haha yup. Another poster yesterday also picked up on it. Are reality TV references not allowed on this forum?

B752OS

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:44 am

nmdrdh787 wrote:

South Florida is a large tourist market from Europe. Not to mention you have the largest cruise ports in the world there. Hence why so many Europeans are traveling there. Just look at the number of seasonal service MIA has and leisure European carriers MIA has. The main driver of traffic are tourists.

MAH4546

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:06 am

B752OS wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

South Florida is a large tourist market from Europe. Not to mention you have the largest cruise ports in the world there. Hence why so many Europeans are traveling there. Just look at the number of seasonal service MIA has and leisure European carriers MIA has. The main driver of traffic are tourists.

Very little of the service is seasonal, though. Most of it is year-round. The only seasonal carriers are Austrian (summer), Finnair (winter), KLM (winter) and XL Airways (summer), and Lufthansa's Munich and SAS' Stockholm flights are winter (although hearing Munich goes year-round with S19).
a.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 am

NickolayAv wrote:
OneWorld? I feel like SkyTeam would make a lot more sense for the airline...

ST makes no sense since RAM has signed a MoU to join Avios (Not sure when it will happen). QR will eventually take a share in RAM.

NickolayAv wrote:
... it codeshares with 2 OW airlines compared to 4 SkyTeam airlines.

And yet RAM seems to have a stronger relationship with the two OW members (IB and QR-JV) than the four outlier ST carriers.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

F27500

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
peterj324 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Yes, it is absolutely the second largest trans-Atlantic travel market. Roughly 30% of trans-Atlantic travel is to/from NYC and 10% is to/from Miami. And the third and fourth largest are LA and SF, not Chicago, DC or Boston.

Ohh … OK! .. A hooker. then!

abrelosojos

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 am

Do we have a schedule yet?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 am

abrelosojos wrote:
Do we have a schedule yet?

No, not yet.

JAGflyer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:11 am

winGl3t wrote:

People connect to Europe from Morocco through Brazil? I think you've mixed up the countries. Perhaps you mean their flights from Brazil are full of people connecting to Europe?
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

abrelosojos

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 am

I am surprised that AT did not first fly to IAD, and chose MIA. IAD (or even BWI) would provide plenty of feed opportunities at CMN, and what AT is trying to achieve. Surprising move.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Miami
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:11 am

abrelosojos wrote:
I am surprised that AT did not first fly to IAD, and chose MIA.
Alex

They already fly to IAD. They've had service to/from IAD since September 8, 2016.

http://www.mwaa.com/about/royal-air-mar ... casablanca

Miami
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Approved:

The US DoT has approved Royal Air Maroc to fly to Miami.

Dates, aircraft, and schedule should be coming soon.

Geminijets101

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 am

Miami wrote:
Approved:

The US DoT has approved Royal Air Maroc to fly to Miami.

Dates, aircraft, and schedule should be coming soon.

Nice :hyper:
Cíao

mcogator

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 am

My rich Moroccan friends that I went to college with at the University of Florida all travel back and forth from Miami to Casa Blanca/Rabat multiple times a year. Also, Orlando has a very large amount of Moroccan immigrants. I'm not sure if they would rather connect at JFK or fly direct from MIA.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

MAH4546

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 am

mcogator wrote:
My rich Moroccan friends that I went to college with at the University of Florida all travel back and forth from Miami to Casa Blanca/Rabat multiple times a year. Also, Orlando has a very large amount of Moroccan immigrants. I'm not sure if they would rather connect at JFK or fly direct from MIA.

Orlando does not have a large Morocco community. No city in America does, and while Florida in general has a "larger" Moroccan community than other states, its numbers in the five digits. It's tiny.
a.

Geminijets101

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 pm

What about Royal Jordanian Airlines? I heard a while ago they wanted to fly to Miami or Orlando.
Cíao

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
What about Royal Jordanian Airlines? I heard a while ago they wanted to fly to Miami or Orlando.

They had strong intentions to fly to Miami. Unfortunately, nothing has happened but I do see them coming to Miami eventually.

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:08 pm

It's official. Royal Air Maroc is set to start Miami service April 3, 2019. 3 weekly, 787-8.

canyonblue17

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Any idea when tickets will go on sale? I have been checking the Royal Air Maroc website and so far no luck. Excited to add another 787 to the MIA lineup.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

Miami
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:48 pm

canyonblue17 wrote:
Any idea when tickets will go on sale? I have been checking the Royal Air Maroc website and so far no luck. Excited to add another 787 to the MIA lineup.

Reservations will open as soon as more aircraft become available. I would say sometime in November or December.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos