Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
lavalampluva
Topic Author
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:46 pm

It's called HYGIENE people!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/07/27/dirty-sock-smell-spirit-flight-diverts-myrtle-beach-new-york/849583002/

A Spirit Airlines flight from New York to Fort Lauderdale was diverted to South Carolina because of a noxious smell that at least one passenger likened to “dirty socks.”

The incident happened Thursday evening on Spirit Airlines Flight 779, which departed New York LaGuardia around 8:25 p.m. ET. It diverted to Myrtle Beach around 10 p.m. after several passengers felt ill because of a so-far unidentified mystery smell.

The 228 passengers on the Spirit Airbus A321 deplaned upon arrival in Myrtle Beach and were isolated on the ramp as emergency crews responded, NBC New York reports.

Passenger Steven Costello tells WPLG-TV of Miami that some children on the flight vomited and at least one woman fainted.

“Real bad, we didn’t even know what really happened,” Costello adds to the station.

The smell was severe enough that Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue's Hazmat Team responded to inspect the plane.

Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesman for Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, tells WBTW-TV of Myrtle Beach as many as 10 passengers complained of medical issues and that some were treated at a local hospital.

“Officials were linking the medical complaints to that unknown substance that some passengers say smelled like ‘dirty socks.’”

CBS Miami talked to another passenger who described the smell more like smoke.

Whatever the smell, which still has not been determined, emergency crews gave an all-clear after investigating the plane.

“After specific monitoring and hazmat crews entering into the fuselage no substances were found,” Myrtle Beach Fire Department Lt. Christian Sliker said to NBC New York. “The plane is all clear.”

Spirit Airlines acknowledged the incident, telling USA TODAY’s Today in the Sky blog “the source of the odor is being investigated.”

“A handful of guests were checked out by medical professionals and have since been cleared to continue their journey,” the carrier added in a statement.

Spirit sent a replacement plane to complete the journey for Flight 779 passengers. That aircraft departed Myrtle Beach around 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning before landing in Fort Lauderdale around 5 a.m. ET.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused,” Spirit said. “At Spirit Airlines the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.”
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Actually this does not have to do with hygiene. I know of crews and pax who have fallen ill on our flights due to this odor which is described as dirty sock smell. I know at my airline it has been an issue to the point there is a comitee who has investigated the cases. From my experience it is mostly on Airbus equipment and I would not even try and guess what causes, heard many theories though.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5045
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
It's called HYGIENE people!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/07/27/dirty-sock-smell-spirit-flight-diverts-myrtle-beach-new-york/849583002/

A Spirit Airlines flight from New York to Fort Lauderdale was diverted to South Carolina because of a noxious smell that at least one passenger likened to “dirty socks.”

The incident happened Thursday evening on Spirit Airlines Flight 779, which departed New York LaGuardia around 8:25 p.m. ET. It diverted to Myrtle Beach around 10 p.m. after several passengers felt ill because of a so-far unidentified mystery smell.

The 228 passengers on the Spirit Airbus A321 deplaned upon arrival in Myrtle Beach and were isolated on the ramp as emergency crews responded, NBC New York reports.

Passenger Steven Costello tells WPLG-TV of Miami that some children on the flight vomited and at least one woman fainted.

“Real bad, we didn’t even know what really happened,” Costello adds to the station.

The smell was severe enough that Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue's Hazmat Team responded to inspect the plane.

Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesman for Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, tells WBTW-TV of Myrtle Beach as many as 10 passengers complained of medical issues and that some were treated at a local hospital.

“Officials were linking the medical complaints to that unknown substance that some passengers say smelled like ‘dirty socks.’”

CBS Miami talked to another passenger who described the smell more like smoke.

Whatever the smell, which still has not been determined, emergency crews gave an all-clear after investigating the plane.

“After specific monitoring and hazmat crews entering into the fuselage no substances were found,” Myrtle Beach Fire Department Lt. Christian Sliker said to NBC New York. “The plane is all clear.”

Spirit Airlines acknowledged the incident, telling USA TODAY’s Today in the Sky blog “the source of the odor is being investigated.”

“A handful of guests were checked out by medical professionals and have since been cleared to continue their journey,” the carrier added in a statement.

Spirit sent a replacement plane to complete the journey for Flight 779 passengers. That aircraft departed Myrtle Beach around 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning before landing in Fort Lauderdale around 5 a.m. ET.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused,” Spirit said. “At Spirit Airlines the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.”

some people have NO freaking IDEA what they're talking about.
The plane had a hydraulic leak where "Skydrol" (phosphate-esther Hydraulic fluid) probably leaked into and contaminated the Air conditioning system as hydraulic lines for the reversers are routed right above the air conditioning packs. It's not a normal occurrence but in my 35+ years in aviation, I've seen and fixed it a few times..
 
nws2002
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 pm

As others have noted, this has nothing to do with hygiene. It is an issue where egine oil burnoff mixes with the bleed air and causes toxic fumes. It is often described as smelling like dirty socks, cheese, or wet dogs.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 pm

This has nothing to do with hygiene and is a semi-common, yet dangerous phenomenon happening on some airplanes. The best theory is essentially APU oil is being compressed and vaporized into the cabin though a faulty seal or something to that affect. When the oil breaks down, you get a series of chemicals that you essentially are breathing, some of which are known neurotoxins. Spirit is all to familiar with this, as they had a pilot many years ago pass away due to these fumes entering the cabin. It’s a serious issue, one that is getting a lot of attention recently amongst Airbus crews.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming
 
wjcandee
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Yeah this "smelly socks" thing is a not-uncommon issue on the A320 series, and it's fairly-clearly something related to bleed air, and often to the APU. Beyond that there are many theories.

Pall Corporation has the STC on the A320 series for a system that filters VOCs and almost everything-else out of the bleed air near the source, so that more than just the recirc air is filtered. It basically-eliminates the smelly socks problem. It also solves many other issues relating to stuff in the cabin air environment. Word is that G4 is installing it fleetwide on its A320 series.
 
cbphoto
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:23 am

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:27 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Yeah this "smelly socks" thing is a not-uncommon issue on the A320 series, and it's fairly-clearly something related to bleed air, and often to the APU. Beyond that there are many theories.

Pall Corporation has the STC on the A320 series for a system that filters VOCs and almost everything-else out of the bleed air near the source, so that more than just the recirc air is filtered. It basically-eliminates the smelly socks problem. It also solves many other issues relating to stuff in the cabin air environment. Word is that G4 is installing it fleetwide on its A320 series.


G4 is indeed installing them fleet wide. They have had a lot of issues with the second hand Airbuses in regards to fumes in the cabin. Happy they are being proactive about this issue.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming
 
nikeherc
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:41 am

Some years back, I heard about a dirty sock smell problem with heat pumps. Basically, the solution was to replace the heat pump.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15747
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 am

Shared by a flight attendant friend:

Image

Image

Image
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
londonistan
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:52 am

This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least. Although I must say having travelled extensively on various A320-1 series, I've never come across that particular odour, in Europe at least.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:40 am

londonistan wrote:
This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least.


It's been a long time since railways used gas turbines for propulsion and I don't think any ever used them for auxiliary power, so there is no chance that any odour encountered as a passenger in a BR Mk. 3 car related to "bleed air". However, those cars were fitted with air-conditioning from new so the closest you'd come would be defects in that system that might have allowed lubricants or refrigerant to enter the conditioned-air circulators.

Similarly, carriages are sometimes fitted with diesel generators to supply lighting, door-operation, and climate-control power where the locomotive cannot and no separate power van is available. This is not the case with Mk. 3s, but I recall a few occasions of exhaust products permeating the saloon when travelling on V/Line's MTH-type carriages where the generators were not part of the original design of the vehicle.

Since you specifically report it occurring during braking though, I'm inclined to say it's nothing more than the brake pads themselves heating as they're applied to the wheel. This is very noticeable when UIC-II LL-type composite brake blocks are used and even more so when they're new, compared to cast-iron types used beforehand. Yet-newer types still exhibit this behaviour, but to a lesser extent.
 
User avatar
LTU330
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:40 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:55 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
londonistan wrote:
This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least.


It's been a long time since railways used gas turbines for propulsion and I don't think any ever used them for auxiliary power, so there is no chance that any odour encountered as a passenger in a BR Mk. 3 car related to "bleed air". However, those cars were fitted with air-conditioning from new so the closest you'd come would be defects in that system that might have allowed lubricants or refrigerant to enter the conditioned-air circulators.

Similarly, carriages are sometimes fitted with diesel generators to supply lighting, door-operation, and climate-control power where the locomotive cannot and no separate power van is available. This is not the case with Mk. 3s, but I recall a few occasions of exhaust products permeating the saloon when travelling on V/Line's MTH-type carriages where the generators were not part of the original design of the vehicle.

Since you specifically report it occurring during braking though, I'm inclined to say it's nothing more than the brake pads themselves heating as they're applied to the wheel. This is very noticeable when UIC-II LL-type composite brake blocks are used and even more so when they're new, compared to cast-iron types used beforehand. Yet-newer types still exhibit this behaviour, but to a lesser extent.


I concur regarding the MK.3 Coaches. Brake pads. The Smelly Sock one is not only a problem encountered on A320s. Even back in the 1990s we did not service the B757 engine Oil to full because you got this problem. Where I work now, we have had it several times recently on B777s aswell. Inspection of Pack System Ducts showed oil contamination. Source on one Aircraft traced to an Engine. On another it was traced to the APU.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2269
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:12 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Shared by a flight attendant friend:


Shocking to read! Thanks for sharing, EA CO AS

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos