Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lavalampluva
Topic Author

Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:46 pm

It's called HYGIENE people!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/07/27/dirty-sock-smell-spirit-flight-diverts-myrtle-beach-new-york/849583002/

A Spirit Airlines flight from New York to Fort Lauderdale was diverted to South Carolina because of a noxious smell that at least one passenger likened to “dirty socks.”

The incident happened Thursday evening on Spirit Airlines Flight 779, which departed New York LaGuardia around 8:25 p.m. ET. It diverted to Myrtle Beach around 10 p.m. after several passengers felt ill because of a so-far unidentified mystery smell.

The 228 passengers on the Spirit Airbus A321 deplaned upon arrival in Myrtle Beach and were isolated on the ramp as emergency crews responded, NBC New York reports.

Passenger Steven Costello tells WPLG-TV of Miami that some children on the flight vomited and at least one woman fainted.

“Real bad, we didn’t even know what really happened,” Costello adds to the station.

The smell was severe enough that Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue's Hazmat Team responded to inspect the plane.

Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesman for Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, tells WBTW-TV of Myrtle Beach as many as 10 passengers complained of medical issues and that some were treated at a local hospital.

“Officials were linking the medical complaints to that unknown substance that some passengers say smelled like ‘dirty socks.’”

CBS Miami talked to another passenger who described the smell more like smoke.

Whatever the smell, which still has not been determined, emergency crews gave an all-clear after investigating the plane.

“After specific monitoring and hazmat crews entering into the fuselage no substances were found,” Myrtle Beach Fire Department Lt. Christian Sliker said to NBC New York. “The plane is all clear.”

Spirit Airlines acknowledged the incident, telling USA TODAY’s Today in the Sky blog “the source of the odor is being investigated.”

“A handful of guests were checked out by medical professionals and have since been cleared to continue their journey,” the carrier added in a statement.

Spirit sent a replacement plane to complete the journey for Flight 779 passengers. That aircraft departed Myrtle Beach around 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning before landing in Fort Lauderdale around 5 a.m. ET.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused,” Spirit said. “At Spirit Airlines the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.”
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

chepos

Re: Spirit flight diverts after fliers fall ill from 'dirty sock' smell

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Actually this does not have to do with hygiene. I know of crews and pax who have fallen ill on our flights due to this odor which is described as dirty sock smell. I know at my airline it has been an issue to the point there is a comitee who has investigated the cases. From my experience it is mostly on Airbus equipment and I would not even try and guess what causes, heard many theories though.
Fly the Flag!!!!

strfyr51

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
It's called HYGIENE people!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/07/27/dirty-sock-smell-spirit-flight-diverts-myrtle-beach-new-york/849583002/

A Spirit Airlines flight from New York to Fort Lauderdale was diverted to South Carolina because of a noxious smell that at least one passenger likened to “dirty socks.”

The incident happened Thursday evening on Spirit Airlines Flight 779, which departed New York LaGuardia around 8:25 p.m. ET. It diverted to Myrtle Beach around 10 p.m. after several passengers felt ill because of a so-far unidentified mystery smell.

The 228 passengers on the Spirit Airbus A321 deplaned upon arrival in Myrtle Beach and were isolated on the ramp as emergency crews responded, NBC New York reports.

Passenger Steven Costello tells WPLG-TV of Miami that some children on the flight vomited and at least one woman fainted.

“Real bad, we didn’t even know what really happened,” Costello adds to the station.

The smell was severe enough that Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue's Hazmat Team responded to inspect the plane.

Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesman for Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, tells WBTW-TV of Myrtle Beach as many as 10 passengers complained of medical issues and that some were treated at a local hospital.

“Officials were linking the medical complaints to that unknown substance that some passengers say smelled like ‘dirty socks.’”

CBS Miami talked to another passenger who described the smell more like smoke.

Whatever the smell, which still has not been determined, emergency crews gave an all-clear after investigating the plane.

“After specific monitoring and hazmat crews entering into the fuselage no substances were found,” Myrtle Beach Fire Department Lt. Christian Sliker said to NBC New York. “The plane is all clear.”

Spirit Airlines acknowledged the incident, telling USA TODAY’s Today in the Sky blog “the source of the odor is being investigated.”

“A handful of guests were checked out by medical professionals and have since been cleared to continue their journey,” the carrier added in a statement.

Spirit sent a replacement plane to complete the journey for Flight 779 passengers. That aircraft departed Myrtle Beach around 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday morning before landing in Fort Lauderdale around 5 a.m. ET.

“We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused,” Spirit said. “At Spirit Airlines the safety of our guests and crew is paramount.”

some people have NO freaking IDEA what they're talking about.
The plane had a hydraulic leak where "Skydrol" (phosphate-esther Hydraulic fluid) probably leaked into and contaminated the Air conditioning system as hydraulic lines for the reversers are routed right above the air conditioning packs. It's not a normal occurrence but in my 35+ years in aviation, I've seen and fixed it a few times..

nws2002

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 pm

As others have noted, this has nothing to do with hygiene. It is an issue where egine oil burnoff mixes with the bleed air and causes toxic fumes. It is often described as smelling like dirty socks, cheese, or wet dogs.

cbphoto

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:34 pm

This has nothing to do with hygiene and is a semi-common, yet dangerous phenomenon happening on some airplanes. The best theory is essentially APU oil is being compressed and vaporized into the cabin though a faulty seal or something to that affect. When the oil breaks down, you get a series of chemicals that you essentially are breathing, some of which are known neurotoxins. Spirit is all to familiar with this, as they had a pilot many years ago pass away due to these fumes entering the cabin. It’s a serious issue, one that is getting a lot of attention recently amongst Airbus crews.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

wjcandee

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Yeah this "smelly socks" thing is a not-uncommon issue on the A320 series, and it's fairly-clearly something related to bleed air, and often to the APU. Beyond that there are many theories.

Pall Corporation has the STC on the A320 series for a system that filters VOCs and almost everything-else out of the bleed air near the source, so that more than just the recirc air is filtered. It basically-eliminates the smelly socks problem. It also solves many other issues relating to stuff in the cabin air environment. Word is that G4 is installing it fleetwide on its A320 series.

cbphoto

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:27 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Yeah this "smelly socks" thing is a not-uncommon issue on the A320 series, and it's fairly-clearly something related to bleed air, and often to the APU. Beyond that there are many theories.

Pall Corporation has the STC on the A320 series for a system that filters VOCs and almost everything-else out of the bleed air near the source, so that more than just the recirc air is filtered. It basically-eliminates the smelly socks problem. It also solves many other issues relating to stuff in the cabin air environment. Word is that G4 is installing it fleetwide on its A320 series.

G4 is indeed installing them fleet wide. They have had a lot of issues with the second hand Airbuses in regards to fumes in the cabin. Happy they are being proactive about this issue.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

nikeherc

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:41 am

Some years back, I heard about a dirty sock smell problem with heat pumps. Basically, the solution was to replace the heat pump.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

EA CO AS

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:52 am

Shared by a flight attendant friend:

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

londonistan

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:52 am

This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least. Although I must say having travelled extensively on various A320-1 series, I've never come across that particular odour, in Europe at least.

XAM2175

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:40 am

londonistan wrote:
This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least.

It's been a long time since railways used gas turbines for propulsion and I don't think any ever used them for auxiliary power, so there is no chance that any odour encountered as a passenger in a BR Mk. 3 car related to "bleed air". However, those cars were fitted with air-conditioning from new so the closest you'd come would be defects in that system that might have allowed lubricants or refrigerant to enter the conditioned-air circulators.

Similarly, carriages are sometimes fitted with diesel generators to supply lighting, door-operation, and climate-control power where the locomotive cannot and no separate power van is available. This is not the case with Mk. 3s, but I recall a few occasions of exhaust products permeating the saloon when travelling on V/Line's MTH-type carriages where the generators were not part of the original design of the vehicle.

Since you specifically report it occurring during braking though, I'm inclined to say it's nothing more than the brake pads themselves heating as they're applied to the wheel. This is very noticeable when UIC-II LL-type composite brake blocks are used and even more so when they're new, compared to cast-iron types used beforehand. Yet-newer types still exhibit this behaviour, but to a lesser extent.

LTU330

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:55 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
londonistan wrote:
This smell is not confined to aeroplanes. On the WCML rail service in the UK, prior the to Pendolino stock being introduced, the old Mk.3 carriage stock had a similar odour when braking. I'm no engineer, but the postings above regarding bleed air would make sense. I used to travel regularly between London & Macclesfield in the 1980s and the first time smelling that was quite alarming to say the least.

It's been a long time since railways used gas turbines for propulsion and I don't think any ever used them for auxiliary power, so there is no chance that any odour encountered as a passenger in a BR Mk. 3 car related to "bleed air". However, those cars were fitted with air-conditioning from new so the closest you'd come would be defects in that system that might have allowed lubricants or refrigerant to enter the conditioned-air circulators.

Similarly, carriages are sometimes fitted with diesel generators to supply lighting, door-operation, and climate-control power where the locomotive cannot and no separate power van is available. This is not the case with Mk. 3s, but I recall a few occasions of exhaust products permeating the saloon when travelling on V/Line's MTH-type carriages where the generators were not part of the original design of the vehicle.

Since you specifically report it occurring during braking though, I'm inclined to say it's nothing more than the brake pads themselves heating as they're applied to the wheel. This is very noticeable when UIC-II LL-type composite brake blocks are used and even more so when they're new, compared to cast-iron types used beforehand. Yet-newer types still exhibit this behaviour, but to a lesser extent.

I concur regarding the MK.3 Coaches. Brake pads. The Smelly Sock one is not only a problem encountered on A320s. Even back in the 1990s we did not service the B757 engine Oil to full because you got this problem. Where I work now, we have had it several times recently on B777s aswell. Inspection of Pack System Ducts showed oil contamination. Source on one Aircraft traced to an Engine. On another it was traced to the APU.

hiflyeras

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:12 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Shared by a flight attendant friend:

Shocking to read! Thanks for sharing, EA CO AS