wjcandee wrote:AMC has to feel just great that Atlas was training the pilot on a live segment with troops on board. Thrilled, I'm sure. Wouldn't a cargo 767 flight have been a better training platform?
No different than all of the passenger carriers around the world conducting OE training with passengers on board.
wjcandee wrote:no wind. 25 mile visibility.
On the other end of it, the threats:
- Rumored to be first landing
- Could be first landing on the left side of any cockpit for years
- Night landing
- 5AM local time, who knows what the duty day was like and the preceding ~72 hours of work/rest
- The handling qualities of the simulators are never quite like the real airplane and some aren't even close
- Sometimes checkride to the first leg of OE is weeks