Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

mham001
Topic Author

Aviall (Boeing) and Antonov Team Up

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:14 pm

I am not finding this mentioned here, Boeing-owned Aviall and Antonov have announced a partnership, with Availl setting up a supply and distribution center in Ukraine to supply new production..

KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainian plane maker Antonov, known for producing the world’s biggest aircraft, plans to restart serial production by the end of next year thanks to a deal with Boeing that will end Antonov’s dependence on Russia. Relations between Ukraine and Russia collapsed following the annexation of Crimea in 2014 and Antonov, which imported more than 60 percent of its plane parts from Russia, halted serial production two years later. It now plans to build eight planes a year thanks to a deal with Aviall, Boeing’s parts, equipment and services unit, with the first two or three planes ready by the end of 2019,

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukra ... SKBN1KH0OM

neomax

Re: Aviall (Boeing) and Antonov Team Up

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 pm

This is good.

SEAxSANxBOS

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:35 pm

I have watched an AN 124 fly right over me from the SEA employee lot. Was the wildest, loudest thing I've ever witnessed.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG

c933103

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:57 pm

What about that Chinese cooperation?
What's the different between Russian settlement in secessionist territories in Caucasus/Eastern Europe, and historical Western settlement in colonial Africa?

Varsity1

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Awesome. Western engines too?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Oykie

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:14 pm

This is really good news for Antonov. I’m curious too about how the planes will change. With more than 60% of parts coming from Russia, there is room for improvement in many areas.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

Wayfarer515

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Oykie wrote:
This is really good news for Antonov. I’m curious too about how the planes will change. With more than 60% of parts coming from Russia, there is room for improvement in many areas.

Or not... many of these components are built to last. E.g. the landing gears for the An-148 allows it to use unpaved runways, ice, secondary roads, etc. Show me a Western supplier who will give them all that.

BTW, I think this "deal" has more to do to calm down the workers at Antonov than any real chance of being succesful. First it was the Chinese deal, later it was the Saudis, now its Boeing. The truth is Russia was the main and only consumer for Antonov planes, now they've lost it its only a matter of when they will shut down.

Oykie

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:31 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:
Oykie wrote:

Or not... many of these components are built to last. E.g. the landing gears for the An-148 allows it to use unpaved runways, ice, secondary roads, etc. Show me a Western supplier who will give them all that.

BTW, I think this "deal" has more to do to calm down the workers at Antonov than any real chance of being succesful. First it was the Chinese deal, later it was the Saudis, now its Boeing. The truth is Russia was the main and only consumer for Antonov planes, now they've lost it its only a matter of when they will shut down.

It seems to be more than just calming down workers at Antonov. Avail is setting up a distribution center in Ukraine. They would not have done that unless they believed in this project.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Wayfarer515 wrote:
Oykie wrote:

Boeing made the C17 so I think they know how to make rugged landing gear. And comparing Chinese and Saudi aerospace endeavors to Boeing is a money after.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Caryjack

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:14 am

It looks like Antonov wants to rebuild an older line of aircraft which will be called the An-1X8 NEXT. The older line consists of the An-148, 158 and 178 of which the An-148 was based on the BAe-46, a mid 70s era British design.

The Antonovs are small, twin, regional jets which would gain much from western materials and hardware. A carbon wing, the latest greatest engines, avionics and landing gear are obvious considerations. Think of all the auxiliary hardware such as motors, pumps, actuators, etc that could be changed out. There's a lot of weight to lose and reliability to gain.

Production is a huge problem. I believe that only 1 An-178 has been produced, others have been produced at the rate of 1 or 2 per year. Clearly western production methods would make a huge difference for Antonov.

What's the market for this aircraft? Boeing and Airbus have just acquired regional jets, Russia has the Super Jet and Japan is working on its own entry. They could keep it heavy duty as Wayfarer515 suggests, but it wasn't selling.

The An-148 (et al.) is an old design, but so is the B-737. The Boeing has 50 years of evolution but that doesn't mean that the An-1X8 NEXT can't take a giant leap forward. The An-148s are unreliable to the point where everyone that's owned them has grounded them, Reliability will greatly improve with western style parts and maintenance.

I think that the An-1X8 NEXT might a great combi for unimproved parts of the world.

Thanks,
Cary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_146

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-148
The redesigned An-74 was inspired by the British Aerospace 146 with the aircraft's type number being a nod to the smaller BAe version. In 2001, the project was renamed An-148.

The main problem with the project has been increasing the aircraft's sluggish production rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-178

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos