Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Norwegian has applied for a Brazilian operating license

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 am

Norwegian has applied for a Brazilian operating license

Bjørn Kjos's airline Norwegian has recently applied for permission to operate in Brazil, writes the Brazilian business newspaper Época Negócios.

The application must be handled by the Brazilian aviation agency ANAC. It is not known which destinations the route to and from Brazil is going to be between, but there should be flights between Brazil and Europe, according to the newspaper.

Communications manager Lasse Sandaker-Nielsen in Norwegian confirms to the E24 Financial website in Norway that the airline has applied for permission to fly between the UK and Brazil.

CEO Bjørn Kjos in Norwegian has previously said that the company has been contacted by other South American countries than Argentina regarding operation of domestic and international flights.

https://epocanegocios.globo.com/Empresa ... rasil.html

https://investor.dn.no/?&_ga=2.66762862 ... ekte/30141

ClipperYankee

Re: Norwegian has applied for a Brazilian operating license

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:46 am

And the Norwegian train keeps a rollin' - there must be a method to the "madness" claimed by so many here.
Norwegian Chile would be fine by me, I have friends there who could use a cheaper ticket to Europe.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900

brad1823

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:32 am

I just got off a Norwegian flight and I over heard the flight attendants saying that they were going to start flying to Rio from London. They also said that Singapore is ending in March as they have lost a cargo contract that was making the route profitable.

marcoantona

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:46 pm

For what I see on the articles it seems like they are applying for route permits. Not for an AOC in Brazil. But I could be wrong of course...

neomax

Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:04 pm

Amazing, wish them all the best. They truly are revolutionizing this business.

dcajet

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:32 pm

marcoantona wrote:
For what I see on the articles it seems like they are applying for route permits. Not for an AOC in Brazil. But I could be wrong of course...

Correct. This is not to start a local airline; simply to start flying to/from Brazil.

It makes sense; the LGW-EZE flights have been a total success, so why not try the same in either GIG or GRU?
Keep calm and wash your hands.

andrefranca

Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:29 pm

My dream is to see a price war on flights to Europe, I am in Holland right now and it costs a lot to us to fly here!

aemoreira1981

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Possible routes:

GRU to EZE
GRU to BCN
GRU to LGW

Also possible is VCP to any of those points. That said, I wonder if Norwegian will apply for a Brazilian AOC.

LHUSA

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:03 pm

Has Norwegian officially acknowledged the end of SIN? Or just speculation?

Insertnamehere

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:46 pm

As much as I like Norwegian (find their service between JFK and LGW to be great for the short hop across the Atlantic on top of the timings meaning the traffic is not too horrible out to JFK) I could not do flights as long as LGW and Rio or LGW to SIN, I would have to be on a full service carrier for that long of a flight.

gatibosgru

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:09 pm

I always thought Rio would fit nicely within Norwegian's European Long-Haul routes. GRU I'm not so sure.
@DadCelo

incitatus

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm

andrefranca wrote:
My dream is to see a price war on flights to Europe, I am in Holland right now and it costs a lot to us to fly here!

My brother purchased CNF- Europe on AF last year, including a domestic leg on G3, for $500 +taxes. It may be high season right now and such deals may not be available, but the Brazil-Europe market is very competitive.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

C010T3

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:44 pm

The permission to operate in Brazil as a foreign carrier does not mean anything. That is necessary if the airline wants to issue tickets from a Brazilian POS.
In this case, it is more than that, but it is not an AOC application.

dcajet

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:20 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Possible routes:

GRU to EZE
GRU to BCN
GRU to LGW

Also possible is VCP to any of those points. That said, I wonder if Norwegian will apply for a Brazilian AOC.

GRU to EZE would have to be a different route authority request as it'd be flown with Norwegian Argentina. AFAIK, there are no plans to start a Brazilian arm of Norwegian, so this is not an AOC request.

anrec80

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:32 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
As much as I like Norwegian (find their service between JFK and LGW to be great for the short hop across the Atlantic on top of the timings meaning the traffic is not too horrible out to JFK) I could not do flights as long as LGW and Rio or LGW to SIN, I would have to be on a full service carrier for that long of a flight.

For extra fee, you can order meals and luggage on Norwegian as well. And for separate fee, there is also a seat selection. Though when you add all this on Norwegian, a good full-service carrier will probably still come ahead.

Insertnamehere

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:15 am

anrec80 wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote:

For extra fee, you can order meals and luggage on Norwegian as well. And for separate fee, there is also a seat selection. Though when you add all this on Norwegian, a good full-service carrier will probably still come ahead.

Oh yes, I know. I've paid for bags and order stuff on the Snack bar when I fly them, however, from what I have seen the meal they give out is really sub-par. However, for a longer flight (anything really over 9 to 10 hours) I prefer to get the miles and will generally try to go for a full-service carrier across the Atlantic but if I need to do a quick trip to London I find Norwegian to be my favourite mainly because Gatwick express is pretty nice to use, not as nice as Heathrow express but pretty good and the 787 is really nice to cross the Atlantic in versus the typical 777 or 767.

CrawleyBen

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:56 pm

It's been mentioned to me by a colleague at work that the Buneos Aires route might be on its way out of Gatwick sooner rather than later. Despite the high passenger loads on each flight, Norwegian aren't covering their costs on this particular route due to the low ticket prices on offer etc.

The flight regularly has 300 plus pax onboard each service whenever I've seen it (not a welcome sight at 3am in the morning at Gatwick!). I wont read much in to this unless something official comes from the airline itself.

Cheers

Ben

marcoantona

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:44 pm

CrawleyBen wrote:
It's been mentioned to me by a colleague at work that the Buneos Aires route might be on its way out of Gatwick sooner rather than later. Despite the high passenger loads on each flight, Norwegian aren't covering their costs on this particular route due to the low ticket prices on offer etc.

The flight regularly has 300 plus pax onboard each service whenever I've seen it (not a welcome sight at 3am in the morning at Gatwick!). I wont read much in to this unless something official comes from the airline itself.

Cheers

Ben

I find it hard to believe as from November the flight is going daily. If it was a legacy carrier, I could imagine the daily frequency to capture some corporate sales. But speaking about Norwegian, I guess they have enough demand and yield to justify it.

acreinholz

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Possible routes:

GRU to EZE
GRU to BCN
GRU to LGW

My bet would be to VCP instead of GRU...
[threeid][/threeid]A319, A320 A321 A330 A340 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 DC9 DC10 MD88 MD11 ATR42 ATR72 EMB E175 E190 E195 F100 CRJ700
RG VP KK JJ UA DL AA NW TR AR MJ LH BA AF AL AU AD T4 AZ SC CM G3 FF TW EK O6 TK

"Verba Volant, Scripta Manent"

acreinholz

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:42 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Possible routes:

GRU to EZE
GRU to BCN
GRU to LGW

My bet would be to VCP instead of GRU...
[threeid][/threeid]A319, A320 A321 A330 A340 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 DC9 DC10 MD88 MD11 ATR42 ATR72 EMB E175 E190 E195 F100 CRJ700
RG VP KK JJ UA DL AA NW TR AR MJ LH BA AF AL AU AD T4 AZ SC CM G3 FF TW EK O6 TK

"Verba Volant, Scripta Manent"

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Insertnamehere wrote:

Oh yes, I know. I've paid for bags and order stuff on the Snack bar when I fly them, however, from what I have seen the meal they give out is really sub-par. .

Are you talking about the Food from the snackbar or included / preeordered meal ? What is subpar With it ?

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-inf ... nd-drinks/

I don't believe the airline food is worse at Norwegian than With any other airline in economy atleast.

CrawleyBen

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:10 am

Hmm, another potential long haul flight (s) for Gatwick then.

Am I right in thinking the only non-stop flights between London & Brazil are operated by BA and TAM Airlines out of Heathrow?

Cheers

Ben

prchan

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 am

You are correct.
Both fly to GRU and only BA to GIG. LA/JJ used to fly GIG-LHR regularly in the past, now I guess it is only seasonal/one-offs (if ever).

BA777FO

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:16 am

Interesting move - BA may have got wind of this, they're expanding Sao Paulo to 9 per week (2 extra 787-9 frequencies on top of the 777-300ER). Loads to Sao Paulo on the 77W have been fantastic all summer. BA fly to Rio on the 787-8 with mixed fleet cabin crew so costs are going to be competitive.

So far BA hasn't seen a dent in loads to EZE or SIN with Norwegian's presence. They've seen them off in Austin and Chicago so this will be an interesting move.

E2

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 am

CrawleyBen wrote:
Hmm, another potential long haul flight (s) for Gatwick then.

Am I right in thinking the only non-stop flights between London & Brazil are operated by BA and TAM Airlines out of Heathrow?

Cheers

Ben

That's all we have available right now, and the prices are surprisingly different. I just booked BA GRU-LHR-GRU for January and while it wasn't exactly cheap, the LATAM flight was 30% more expensive. More competition would be very welcome, and Gatwick would be better for me personally as my family live on the south coast.
I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. (Bill Dana)

dcajet

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm

CrawleyBen wrote:

Cheers

Ben

Norwegian has no plans to cancel the route; to the contrary, come November, the flight goes daily from the current 4x w, as already mentioned on here. Norwegian is on the record saying the route has been a success since day one. As to prices, I don't think the prices are that low, compared to the pricing Norwegian offers on routes to the US from the UK. In Argentina, Norwegian and LEVEL have scooped up the most price sensitive segment of the market and forced airlines like AR to cancel marginal performing routes such as BCN. LEVEL is increasing EZE-BCN to 9x w this southern summer, making EZE its #1 destination in terms of frequency and number of passengers, not surprising given Argentina's ties with Spain and with Barcelona in particular. A good number of Norwegian clients from EZE are connecting to other European airports at LGW.

The good news is that Norwegian's entry in the UK-Argentina market has not cannibalized BA's customer base. They attract two different segments of the market and BA has a solid customer base in Argentina that appreciate the elite & OW perks and general assumption of quality associated with the BA brand.

Nami

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

brad1823 wrote:
I just got off a Norwegian flight and I over heard the flight attendants saying that they were going to start flying to Rio from London. They also said that Singapore is ending in March as they have lost a cargo contract that was making the route profitable.

Norwegian has now confirmed that they will end flights to SIN in January. Not surprising as they have only been selling flex tickets for a while now.

In addition a spokesperson of the airline said that they have plans to launch flights between London and Rio next year.

Source in Norwegian: https://flysmart24.no/2018/09/07/norweg ... vprisrute/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos