Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingqueen
Topic Author

Aeroméxico announces Belize!!!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:32 pm

I saw this on a Mexican site. I apologize as I use Google Translate.

"The new management team at Aeromexico does something surprising AGAIN! They continue their slew of unconventional routes. After surprising market observers with the following shocking routes last month:

1) Bajio - Deitroit
2) Quaratero - Deitroit
3) Mexico City - Punta Cana
4) Mexico City - Liberia
5) Medelin - Cancun

They now announce BELIZE!!!

AM 2188: MEX (0830) - BZE (1030) .....67 E90
AM 2189: BZE (1200) - MEX (1415) .....67 E90

This is the first time a Mexican airline will fly to Belize, and joins all the other new destinations where they are the first."

I wish them well. I wonder if the rumors of the launch to Barcelona and Hong Kong will really happen now!!!

I do not see it on their website. Is this true??

flyingqueen
Topic Author

Re: Aeroméxico announces Belize!!!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Sorry, it also says service begins middle of November.

c933103

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm

... May I ask why are these routes considered shocking? I am not familiar with the aviation market of Mexico.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

fidelidade

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Wow. I never think Aeromexico will fly to Belize. I think the connection and departure time is very good for Brasil connections.

0newair0

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:33 pm

c933103 wrote:
... May I ask why are these routes considered shocking? I am not familiar with the aviation market of Mexico.

I'm also interested to know this as well. Everything from the Google tells me these two countries have had great relations for years, so I'm stumped as to why the new service is shocking.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

santi319

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 pm

0newair0 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

I'm also interested to know this as well. Everything from the Google tells me these two countries have had great relations for years, so I'm stumped as to why the new service is shocking.

Because the market doesnt exist. Belize is closer to Jamaica and the Caribbean than Latin America when it comes to way of life, etc.

ibthebigd

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 pm

I would love to see them add IND-MEX

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Q

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:30 pm

What is that Bajio? No such a name of town in the google map.

Q

abrelosojos

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:35 am

Wow. Another add from Aero Mexico! I did not think Belize would be on the map. Does this mean Aero Mexico flies to all countries in Central America?
Live, and let live.

TWA772LR

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:17 am

Aeromexico has always been an airline i really liked for no reason. Im glad to see them expanding!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

bfitzflyer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 am

Q wrote:

Q

del bajio is the airport for leon guanajuato

devron

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:35 am

Interesting route. Just look at the map and see how small Belize is and the population that explains why this is a wierd route. Currently the only flights to mexico are Carevan flight to Cancun correct? Belize has been on my bucket list and flights are expensive. Mägde this will help to lower them a bit.

TheRedBaron

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 am

Belize Airport is only 40 kms south of Chetumal Airport... for me it makes no sense..but heck more power to Aeromexico if they can make a good Business case.
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

abrelosojos

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 am

Haha. I have to give my almost weekly congratulations to the Aeromexico network team. I would never have guessed Belize join the ranks. This is definitely a bold addition as the market size between Mexico City and Belize is less than 1 PDEW. It is mark of a confident team that is trying new things. Seems to be paying off, as despite being the highest cost airline, they are the only ones who make money. As someone said in another post, this is the legacy of Colin and Arik. Wonder what will happen with the management reshuffle.

But, for now, really kudos. Great route. And, let's see if they can make it work.

Saludos,
Alex

- On a separate note, AM management team was in Guayaquil, Montevideo, and in San Juan.
- You know, I love AM, and have been following them for a while. I do not think in any forum anyone predicted BZE as the next AM destination!!!!!
Live, and let live.

yellowtail

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 am

Good show! This was out of the blue. Nice move AM.

For the record CTM is 100 Miles and almost 4 hours from BZE when you factor in the border transit.
Last edited by yellowtail on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

SCQ83

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:54 am

Are those DTW flights catered to the automobile industry?

MEX-PUJ is interesting considering CUN and PUJ are usually seen as competing destinations, and there are trillions of daily flights between MEX and CUN. I feel though PUJ might have more premium tourists than Cancun? Also maybe in the current climate is a safer destination.

Brickell305

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm

santi319 wrote:
0newair0 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Because the market doesnt exist. Belize is closer to Jamaica and the Caribbean than Latin America when it comes to way of life, etc.

Basically the situation in a nutshell. A route like this is clearly geared more towards tourism than anything else. This would be similar to AM flying MEX-MBJ.

AM744

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm

Q wrote:

Q

It's an agricultural and industrial region. The "Aeropuerto Internacional del Bajío" (BJX) is supposed to serve the whole region. It's actually near the city of Silao, but serves Silao, Guanajuato and León (biggest and most important city in the area).

Dieuwer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Basically the situation in a nutshell. A route like this is clearly geared more towards tourism than anything else. This would be similar to AM flying MEX-MBJ.

If tourism, then why not CUN-BZE or PVR-BZE?

LightChop2Chop

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Because the AM hub is in MEX

AM744

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:43 pm

TheRedBaron wrote:
Belize Airport is only 40 kms south of Chetumal Airport... for me it makes no sense..but heck more power to Aeromexico if they can make a good Business case.
TRB

Agreed. Yet, AM does not currently fly to CTM. They chose a rather bold option instead of facing Interjet in the Chetumal market. As an enthusiast, I'm ok with that :-)

EddieDude

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm

flyingqueen wrote:
This is the first time a Mexican airline will fly to Belize...

I wonder if the rumors of the launch to Barcelona and Hong Kong will really happen now!!!

I don't think it is the first Mexican carrier in BZE. There is a small airline flying from CUN to BZE regularly, isn't there?

BCN is not happening. EK will be the one flying MEX-BCN. I had not heard anything about HKG. Do you have a source? I had heard about PEK, but nothing has been said recently. I wonder if AM is waiting for the new Daxing airport to become the CZ-MU hub in order to launch MEX-XXX-PEK.

abrelosojos wrote:
Guayaquil, Montevideo, and in San Juan.

GYE was previously served. I would not be surprised to see GYE back to the routemap. MEX-MVD must be a very, very thin route, and probably not very high yielding. I am not holding my breath for that one. I could see SJU once or twice weekly (weekend flights like BZE).

AM744 wrote:
The "Aeropuerto Internacional del Bajío" (BJX) is supposed to serve the whole region. It's actually near the city of Silao, but serves Silao, Guanajuato and León (biggest and most important city in the area).

And to some extent it also serves San Miguel de Allende, which became an ultra popular destination among Americans and Canadians following the accolades given to the city by Condé Nast.

Dieuwer wrote:

Mexican tourists, not tourists from Belize.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

usflyer msp

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:23 pm

AM744 wrote:
Q wrote:

Q

It's an agricultural and industrial region. The "Aeropuerto Internacional del Bajío" (BJX) is supposed to serve the whole region. It's actually near the city of Silao, but serves Silao, Guanajuato and León (biggest and most important city in the area).

All the US carriers refer to BJX as Leon.

jcleal

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Once I flew from Mexico City to Chetumal in order to get to Belmopan, Belize capital city... it was extremely complicated to get there, not a lot of meas of transportation, we finally get there driving a rented car, needs to be procure at the Belize side of the border... we spend a lot of money to do that business trip. If there is another business for me in Belize I will take that flight period.

United787

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 pm

I am actually a little shocked they don't already fly there. Mexico only has three countries that it borders. I would assume there would be air service to it's neighbors.

As to why BZE rather than CTM? If this is more for tourism as suggested, so much of the tourism for Belize is accessed through BZE, puddle jumpers to Ambergris Caye for instance.

Brickell305

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:35 pm

United787 wrote:
I am actually a little shocked they don't already fly there. Mexico only has three countries that it borders. I would assume there would be air service to it's neighbors.

As to why BZE rather than CTM? If this is more for tourism as suggested, so much of the tourism for Belize is accessed through BZE, puddle jumpers to Ambergris Caye for instance.

It’s not that surprising. Culturally, Belize is more Caribbean than Central American. Most of the activity between the two countries happens in the bordering states like Quintana Roo and travel to/from those places is done by land. Mexicans have a plethora of domestic destinations in which they can vacation and if anyone did want a Central American vacation destination, there are other countries which are culturally closer to Mexico and speak the same language.

KrustyTheKlown

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:47 pm

fidelidade wrote:
Wow. I never think Aeromexico will fly to Belize. I think the connection and departure time is very good for Brasil connections.

I imagine that Copa would offer better Brasil connections than Aeromexico, at the very least given that they offer service from airports other than GRU.

EvanWSFO

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:55 am

flyingqueen wrote:

"The new management team at Aeromexico does something surprising AGAIN! They continue their slew of unconventional routes. After surprising market observers with the following shocking routes last month:

1) Bajio - Deitroit
2) Quaratero - Deitroit
4) Mexico City - Liberia
5) Medelin - Cancun

This is the first time a Mexican airline will fly to Belize, and joins all the other new destinations where they are the first."

I wish them well. I wonder if the rumors of the launch to Barcelona and Hong Kong will really happen now!!!

!!! I did not know !!! that service the Belize !!! was such and exciting development !!!
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Judge1310

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:00 am

Very stoked to hear AM entering BZE as their presence has been long overdue. :thumbsup:

Someone posted about a Mexican airline flying CUN-BZE...that carrier is actually Tropic Air, a Belizean carrier, that runs BZE-CUN. A few years back it was operated by the other Belizean airline Maya Island Air (not to be confused with Maya Air) but that service has since ended.

Belize has been, historically, associated more with its neighbours across the Caribbean Sea to the east, indeed. However over the past two decades there has been a strong 'hispanicisation' of Belize; a prominent English Language learning institute at the University of Belize is a massive draw for other Central Americans who wish to learn English. Belize is also fully part of the Mayan Empire and so there has always been trans-border traffic whether at Santa Elena/Chetumal, Benque Viejo del Carmen/Melchor de Mencos, or even the much smaller water crossing in south between Punta Gorda/Livingston/Puerto Barrios. Also many Belizeans (dare I say most?!) are bilingual, a good bit are trilingual, and a few go beyond that count -- in fact, it's safe to say that *almost* everyone who lives within 10 miles of the border is either fluent or at least familiar with Spanish.

Many of the Belizean "elites" (so to speak) travel abroad often enough -- usually accomplished via travelling through the States or Canada to travel to Europe and Asia. This option allows a somewhat quicker connection (not including MIA) to travel abroad. Let's not even get into the whole issue of trying to obtain a USA visa just to transit...

Finally too many people on here forget that not everyone in the US is "afraid of" or lacks the desire to travel to or through Mexico. The flights are on Saturday and Sunday and that tells me that tourists are the main factor here (heck, even businesspeople too if willing to leave Sunday evening and return Saturday morning). There are a slew of arrivals into MEX on AM from all over the world in the early morning hours...perfect to make a connection to Belize City and either fly a local carrier or take a water taxi to the barrier reef isles, or ground transportation to ecotourism resorts deep within the jungles. Also (fun fact), much of the Belizean diaspora in Los Angeles, for decades, thought nothing of taking a red-eye flight on what was then TACA (fka 'Take A Chance Airlines' :duck: ) from LAX to SAL in order to catch the connecting/continuing flight to BZE the following morning (notice how AA and DL operate the route nonstop...they took the clue from TACA). Transiting Mexico City will be a lovely change to what has always been and with the E190 I hope this flight portends more to come between the two neighbours. :old:

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:30 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
flyingqueen wrote:

1) Bajio - Deitroit
2) Quaratero - Deitroit
4) Mexico City - Liberia
5) Medelin - Cancun

!!! I did not know !!! that service the Belize !!! was such and exciting development !!!

Off-Topic but this is my pet peeve on A.net too. Multiple explaination points or question marks like something is a big drama. Like this title or something like “A380 took off from runway 1R????”.

Just state the topic or question at hand without all the drama.

santi319

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:29 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

Off-Topic but this is my pet peeve on A.net too. Multiple explaination points or question marks like something is a big drama. Like this title or something like “A380 took off from runway 1R????”.

You sound fun.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 am

santi319 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

You sound fun.

I am very much so, thanks.

EvanWSFO

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
flyingqueen wrote:

1) Bajio - Deitroit
2) Quaratero - Deitroit
4) Mexico City - Liberia
5) Medelin - Cancun

AM starting MEX-SYD. Now that might warrant a single exclamation point.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

abrelosojos

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:43 am

What do we think next from their team? Also, @EddieDude, you seem to know AM well. Was this a surprise move? Any word from the insiders?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Dieuwer

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:34 pm

EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Why would Mexican tourists go to Belize and not to the Mexican Caribbean coast or the Pacific coast?

AM744

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Why would Mexican tourists go to Belize and not to the Mexican Caribbean coast or the Pacific coast?

I'd do it. At this point in time, I've been to pretty much every resort in Mexico. I'd go to San Pedro or Ambergris Key just for the heck of it. Same thing for Liberia.

Aliqiout

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

For the same reasons Americans don't just got to FL and HI.

This will also work for torsists from north of the border

Aliqiout

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Aliqiout

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

EddieDude

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
Someone posted about a Mexican airline flying CUN-BZE...that carrier is actually Tropic Air, a Belizean carrier, that runs BZE-CUN. A few years back it was operated by the other Belizean airline Maya Island Air (not to be confused with Maya Air) but that service has since ended.

Thank you Your Honor. I thought the carrier was Mexican. Interesting it is from Belize.

abrelosojos wrote:
@EddieDude, you seem to know AM well. Was this a surprise move? Any word from the insiders?

Oh, not at all Alex! I sadly don't. To me it was definitely a surprise. I would have imagined CTG and SJU would happen before BZE.

Dieuwer wrote:

Why not? Belize has one of the most amazing places to do diving. They have great beaches too. And it is always very interesting to explore new lands and understand other cultures, especially when the place is awesome and is so near your own country. Higher income Mexicans travel all over the world. Mexicans are not parochial or shy.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:19 pm

0newair0 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
May I ask why are these routes considered shocking? I am not familiar with the aviation market of Mexico.

Belize is a primarily English-speaking country that (as others have mentioned) has more in common with Florida and the Caribbean than it does with the rest of Central/Latin America.

There's essentially no business air market between it and Mexico, and the high-end tourist market between the two is limited but developing.

So yeah, a bit surprising, but great to see!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LightChop2Chop

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
0newair0 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
There's essentially no business air market between it and Mexico, and the high-end tourist market between the two is limited but developing.

So yeah, a bit surprising, but great to see!

Clearly you have never sat on one of the several daily Interjet CTM-MEX flights and seen all the Belizean on there headed to MEX for EU visas, medical, etc etc. I have. Living in Corozal (on the border), actually we do it quite often.

Dieuwer

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:00 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
0newair0 wrote:

Clearly you have never sat on one of the several daily Interjet CTM-MEX flights and seen all the Belizean on there headed to MEX for EU visas, medical, etc etc. I have. Living in Corozal (on the border), actually we do it quite often.

I have read somewhere that Belizeans go to Merida for medical treatments. But not sure if that's accurate.

LAX772LR

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:33 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:

No one is, or should be, surprised at (some) crossover flow in a border market that takes advantage of a Mexican domestic airport's already-established service.

If however you're attempting to use that as a counterpoint against limited cultural ties, limited business travel, and limited high end tourism... then you'd need a lot more than anecdotal observation; because there's a reason Belizean airports have never been able to sustain significant service to non-Yucatan Mexico, and bustling demand isn't it.

guyanam

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 am

Dieuwer wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

The same reason why many Americans go to BZE. Spanish speakers are very easy to find in that country. Just under 60% of Belizeans speak Spanish and I suspect that its even higher in the main tourist areas. Plus over 1/3 of the population have direct ties to Mexico.

LightChop2Chop

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 am

LAX772LR wrote:

If however you're attempting to use that as a counterpoint against limited cultural ties, limited business travel, and limited high end tourism... then you'd need a lot more than anecdotal observation; because there's a reason Belizean airports have never been able to sustain significant service to non-Yucatan Mexico, and bustling demand isn't it.

They have never been able to sustain because it has never been tried. BZE MEX has never been tried.

I can tell you that the traffic from the country of Belize to DF via CTM is significant.

This route should do well but it will face the significant pricing disadvantage that the Mexican low fare carriers provide at Chetumal

guyanam

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:09 am

LAX772LR wrote:
[
Belize is a primarily English-speaking country that (as others have mentioned) has more in common with Florida and the Caribbean than it does with the rest of Central/Latin America.

!

Couple of decades out of date. According to their 2010 census 63% of Belizeans speak English and 57% Spanish. This means that it is a bilingual country. 2/3 of the population are now Mestizo or Mayan meaning that Belize in fact is more culturally tied to its neighbors than it is to Jamaica, the nearest English speaking Caribbean island. In fact the only way to get to Jamaica from BZE is via MIA.

Judge1310

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 am

LAX772LR wrote:
LightChop2Chop wrote:

No one is, or should be, surprised at (some) crossover flow in a border market that takes advantage of a Mexican domestic airport's already-established service.

Sir, I enjoy your insights (mostly) but you're deffo out of your league here when it comes to the Belizean aviation market, particularly when trying to go toe-to-toe with actual Belizean aviation professionals. Not trying to be dismissive but looking at PDEW data from BZE is grossly skewed/underrepresentative of actual data.

Someone mentioned Merida, and yes, Merida was the 'de facto' locale for medical treatment for many years, but Cancun has caught up and also has high level medical facilities. Affluent and bilingual Belizeans actually love going to MEX when given the option (although LHR, YYZ, MIA, NYC, and LAX reign supreme).

rbavfan

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 am

Q wrote:

Q

Type in bajio airport and it comes right up.

LAX772LR

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 am

LightChop2Chop wrote:
it has never been tried. BZE MEX has never been tried.

And why do you think that is?
Airlines generally don't ignore significant [email protected] for extended periods of time; so what was missing?

Judge1310 wrote:
Not trying to be dismissive but looking at PDEW data from BZE is grossly skewed/underrepresentative of actual data.

Then wouldn't it make sense to post, or at least specifically reference, such "actual data," instead of talking about it in abstract?

I'd be happy to stand corrected about the market's past (notice I'm not speaking of its potential-- AM obviously feels that the demand is there now), but anecdotal observations certainly fall short of that threshold, regardless of whether it's by some alleged "Belizean aviation professionals" or otherwise.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos