anrec80
Topic Author

Will Norwegian fly to Australia?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:34 am

On this forum, we keep talking about Norwegian opening one long haul destination after another. I am wondering if they would do flights from LHR/LGW to Perth with their 789 - just as QF does. Anything prevents them? Will their low-cost model work for such long flights?
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title for clarity

a320fan

Re: Norwegian to Australia

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:39 am

Their seat density would be too high and therefore would have to block a lot of seats. Without the high yeild income from premium passengers that QF gets it wouldn’t be economically viable. Flying a half full airliner for 17hours on low yield LCC fares is just asking for bankruptcy.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

cpd

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 am

anrec80 wrote:
On this forum, we keep talking about Norwegian opening one long haul destination after another. I am wondering if they would do flights from LHR/LGW to Perth with their 789 - just as QF does. Anything prevents them? Will their low-cost model work for such long flights?

It would have to be a flying gas-tanker. If they fill it right up, will it have adequate range to make the distance, and will they really be able to compete with the Qantas Dreamliner?

bluefltspecial

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 am

a320fan wrote:
Their seat density would be too high and therefore would have to block a lot of seats. Without the high yeild income from premium passengers that QF gets it wouldn’t be economically viable. Flying a half full airliner for 17hours on low yield LCC fares is just asking for bankruptcy.

Correct.

You'll likely see Norwegian announce flights in the near(ish) future operating to Oz, but not on the ultra long-haul routes like LGW-LGW. As mentioned above, the aircraft density just doesn't allow for it.

Think more a continuation of current "routes"... or even yet another new certificate giving them local rights they need to operate routes they want.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

EvanWSFO

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 am

anrec80 wrote:

Won't work because of the aforementioned reasons. People are getting all aflutter at the idea of more Australia-Europe nonstops. PER is a limited market. Unless someone buys the 778 (hear that QF?). the money routes to Europe are on the wrong coast of Australia, thus no nonstops.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

qf2220

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:51 am

There has been talk of PER-EZE serivice, so this one is actually more logical than other suggestions....

Obzerva

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 am

It'd be race between Norwegian and Turkish to Australia then ;)

For Norwegian to fly to Australia they'll need to fly a route that none of the Air Asia franchises nor Jetstar or Scoot are interested in.

I think by the time they announce anything and we see any real action, IAG will have had a few more goes at a takeover for Norwegian, and it only takes one go to be successful. So not 100% convinced we'll see them in Australia.

Gemuser

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:21 am

qf2220 wrote:
There has been talk of PER-EZE serivice, so this one is actually more logical than other suggestions....

Not happening! It is beyond EDTO 330 & 370 [370! I don't think Australia has accepted that] and on top of that it would be require to meet the full Antarctic requirement and I can't see Norwegian [or any airline] paying for that!

As well there is no Australia/EU ASA, AFAIK, only an Australia/UK one, while it was amended to be similar to the EU's standard agreement I strongly doubt it allows for traffic rights for other EU ASA member airlines and even if it does it won't last once Brexit happens.

Gemuser

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 am

They could if they can secure fifth freedom rights in Bangkok or anywhere in that region. Non-stop from Europe would definitely be impossible for them, but since they already fly to Bangkok they could extend these flights to Australia. However the Bangkok flights do not depart from Gatwick, only from their Scandinavian hubs. This doesn't make much difference since you can always take a feeder flight from the UK to Oslo, Stockholm or Copenhagen to catch these flights.

There has also been talk about the possibility of Norwegian flying to India. If they can secure fifth freedom rights on India - Australia this would come down to the same.

spinkid

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:12 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
They could if they can secure fifth freedom rights in Bangkok or anywhere in that region. Non-stop from Europe would definitely be impossible for them, but since they already fly to Bangkok they could extend these flights to Australia. However the Bangkok flights do not depart from Gatwick, only from their Scandinavian hubs. This doesn't make much difference since you can always take a feeder flight from the UK to Oslo, Stockholm or Copenhagen to catch these flights.

There has also been talk about the possibility of Norwegian flying to India. If they can secure fifth freedom rights on India - Australia this would come down to the same.

extensions from BKK and SIN are what I thought would make the most sense for now. With Norwegian, anything is possible. SE Asia to Australia is a very crowded market, so we may not see it just yet. Then again, perhaps we'll see ThaiNorwegian branded 737MAX making runs from HKT and DMK :D :D :D

APYu

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 am

There are already many cheap economy seats from the UK to Australia.
It isn't really a money spinning route. In the time it would take a 787 to get there (with one stop) it could have done a couple of round trips to the states and made more money.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

cedarjet

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:21 am

First of all forget Perth, it’s a very small city with already great connectivity to the rest of the world. Qantas can do Perth London as the flight originates in Melbourne and also gets seamless feed from Adelaide and maybe even a bit from Brisbane. Yields to and from the rest of Australia are also very low so I don’t see the point.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

oldannyboy

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:01 am

anrec80 wrote:

How about at least a question mark after the title of the thread? It is after all pure speculation, so let's not make this appear as news (fact).

c933103

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 am

Norwegian did have applied for the route authority of EZE-PER-SIN?
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

c933103

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:07 am

Gemuser wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Not happening! It is beyond EDTO 330 & 370 [370! I don't think Australia has accepted that] and on top of that it would be require to meet the full Antarctic requirement and I can't see Norwegian [or any airline] paying for that!

As well there is no Australia/EU ASA, AFAIK, only an Australia/UK one, while it was amended to be similar to the EU's standard agreement I strongly doubt it allows for traffic rights for other EU ASA member airlines and even if it does it won't last once Brexit happens.

Gemuser

I don't think it's up to Australia to accept that when the aircraft is not Australian.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

bunumuring

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 am

Hey guys,
Yes, Norwegian did apply for routes between Argentina and Australia. I can see them happening, a d am intrigued to see if their application for Brazilian authority covers Australian destinations as well (though I think that would be highly unlikely).
I've always thought that if Norwegian survived long enough, they would eventually make it to Australia from our north/northwest, through Singapore and/or Bangkok. Bali and Phuket would also be desired destinations eventually I believe, and could well support a tag-on in competition with all of the other airlines flying hose routes.
How about the new tourism hot spot of Sri Lanka? Europe-Sri Lanka-Australia, anyone?
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

a320fan

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 am

One interesting thing about Australia is it allows 100% foreign owned airlines to set up a domestic AOC. Therefore if Norwegian was feeling extra creative/stupid they could set up a domestic operation in AU. Likely wouldn’t go to well for them however, and they wouldn’t be able to operate international flights.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

melpax

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am

APYu wrote:
There are already many cheap economy seats from the UK to Australia.
It isn't really a money spinning route. In the time it would take a 787 to get there (with one stop) it could have done a couple of round trips to the states and made more money.

A couple of examples - I've seen Royal Brunei flights from MEL-LHR for as low as AUD$915 - this a full service carrier (no booze though!), with a 30KG baggage allowance - and you are entitled to an extra 15kg if you're a full time student coming or going from study! Same flight on Malaysian or Thai would be around the AUD$1K mark, and an extra $2-$300 for QF, Emirates, SQ or Cathay

Have also seen Scoot flights between MEL-TXL for around AUD $750 on special.

So South American flights would be their best bet if they wanted to make some money instead of losing their shirts....
Last edited by melpax on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Gemuser

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:06 am

c933103 wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Gemuser

I don't think it's up to Australia to accept that when the aircraft is not Australian.

Yes it is when it is flying into Australian airspace, as it is for all countries, how do you think the US & EU get away with their various black lists?. EZE-PER seems to be outside at least two agreements. 1) EDTO 370 is not accepted by ICAO yet, AFAIK therefore members are not obligated to accept it. Even if ICAO approve it any country can, in effect, opt out. Australia has only accepted EDTO 330 in the last two years or so. 2) There are requirements under [I think] the Antarctic Treaty, for airline operations across Antarctic, these are enacted in the Australian CAO [and other member countries equivalents]. These requirements relate to a number of things including the survival & recovery of any passengers & crew should an aircraft go down in Antarctica. These requirements are most reasonable and, given the conditions in Antarctica, impossible to meet at any reasonable cost.

Gemuser

qf002

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am

Forget Australia-Asia/Europe, the opportunity for DY is in Australia-North America.

There is a big gap in the market for a leisure-focused carrier to launch flights to cities like SAN, LAS, SEA etc while also serving the core markets like LAX and SFO. Cities at this end like CNS and ADL could also support service to LAX a few times a week seasonally. Time to shake things up, the legacy carriers are all obsessed with their corporate contracts (as they should be) and funnelling everybody through LAX.

A new player could induce huge demand and grab a big chunk of the market very quickly without bottoming out fares like we have seen in Asia.

CXfirst

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:47 am

Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Good thing Norwegian has a UK AOC.

melpax

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:48 am

A quick check of MEL-LAX flights for November shows a Phillipine Airlines flight for AUD$785! Air China, China Eastern & Cathay(!) all come out at just under $1K, while QF is just under $1300.

Have also seen MEL-JFK flights for under $1K on some of the Chinese carriers.

A good niche for an airline like Norwegian would be to target Australia to Mexico/Central America. This area of the world is becoming popular with Australians , and you have the added bonus of not having to transit the US - this would open up more of this area to those who are unable or unwilling to transit via the US. There is a large migrant non-citizen population in Australia who are not ESTA-eligible & these folk would find it bothersome to have to apply for a full tourist visa just to change planes..
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

c933103

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 am

Gemuser wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Yes it is when it is flying into Australian airspace, as it is for all countries, how do you think the US & EU get away with their various black lists?. EZE-PER seems to be outside at least two agreements. 1) EDTO 370 is not accepted by ICAO yet, AFAIK therefore members are not obligated to accept it. Even if ICAO approve it any country can, in effect, opt out. Australia has only accepted EDTO 330 in the last two years or so. 2) There are requirements under [I think] the Antarctic Treaty, for airline operations across Antarctic, these are enacted in the Australian CAO [and other member countries equivalents]. These requirements relate to a number of things including the survival & recovery of any passengers & crew should an aircraft go down in Antarctica. These requirements are most reasonable and, given the conditions in Antarctica, impossible to meet at any reasonable cost.

Gemuser

1. Existing trans-south-pacific flights do go south of 60S (boundary of Antarctica treaty) in some occasion, like QF28 last friday went as south as 72°41S according to flightaware https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA ... YSSY/route
2. As mentioned a few months ago in another thread, when EDTO 330 is available, even when there are still no-go zone over Antarctica, the increased flight time in still air condition would only be less than an hour. Also, since it is Antarctica, airlines can choose to go via eastern or western hemisphere depending on direction they fly and thus are able to use the help of the wind in both directions. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=per-eze%0D ... 400&EU=kts

qf2220

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

Gemuser wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Gemuser

Totally agree mate! You know my posts from AustAv. Im saying that if EZE-PER is on the table and its mad, then Europe-Australia is more logical!

Mortyman

Re: Will Norwegian fly to Australia?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Is there any aircraft that can fly Scandinavia - Sydney nonstop with a full load ?

by738

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Is there any aircraft that can fly Scandinavia - Sydney nonstop with a full load ?

define full load...
Full dense low cost
Full 4 class low density
Full business class only eg SQ

Gemuser

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:13 pm

CXfirst wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Doesn't matter. It must be 50% or better UK owned, does Norwegian meet this condition?. AFAIK Australia has not accepted that all EU airlines can use Australia-other countries ASA and after Brexit we certainly would not. There is a reason there is no Australia - EU agreement.

Gemuser

flyingclrs727

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm

anrec80 wrote:

They could only fly to Australia with their businesses model by having an intermediate stop. The problem is there are lots of established airlines on those routes that could make it difficult to be profitable.

Gemuser

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:28 pm

]
c933103 wrote:

1. Existing trans-south-pacific flights do go south of 60S (boundary of Antarctica treaty) in some occasion, like QF28 last friday went as south as 72°41S according to flightaware https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA ... YSSY/route
2. As mentioned a few months ago in another thread, when EDTO 330 is available, even when there are still no-go zone over Antarctica, the increased flight time in still air condition would only be less than an hour. Also, since it is Antarctica, airlines can choose to go via eastern or western hemisphere depending on direction they fly and thus are able to use the help of the wind in both directions. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=per-eze%0D ... 400&EU=kts

1) I know that! These flights barely cross the Antarctic coastline, 72S is more or less the coastline facing the Pacific. My assumption is that QF & LA are operating on concessions against the recovery provisions as they don't actually cross the continent. PER - EZE is an entirely different situation. The requirements are as much to protect Antarctica as they are the traveling public
2) I would be really surprised if Australia accepts anything above ETDO 330 any time in the next few decades, AFAIK CASA has still not approved EDTO 330 for any Australian airline [mind you none may have applied for it, QF is still using quads, be very, very interesting if/when QF or VA apply for it.]

Gemuser

Socrates17

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:24 pm

Given their history, I wouldn't be surprised to read of them announcing Gatwick to one of the moons of Saturn. That would be only slightly more illogical.
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

c933103

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 am

Gemuser wrote:
]
c933103 wrote:

1) I know that! These flights barely cross the Antarctic coastline, 72S is more or less the coastline facing the Pacific. My assumption is that QF & LA are operating on concessions against the recovery provisions as they don't actually cross the continent. PER - EZE is an entirely different situation. The requirements are as much to protect Antarctica as they are the traveling public
2) I would be really surprised if Australia accepts anything above ETDO 330 any time in the next few decades, AFAIK CASA has still not approved EDTO 330 for any Australian airline [mind you none may have applied for it, QF is still using quads, be very, very interesting if/when QF or VA apply for it.]

Gemuser

1. Then again, even if you only have EDTO330 and avoid Antarctica coast, the different in distance is still rather small and wind are likely to help. http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=per-eze%0D ... 400&EU=kts
Image Difference are less than an hour and less than 10% of total journey and that's before accounting help from wind.
2. Quad aircraft need to follow EDTO too.

waoz1

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 am

cedarjet wrote:
First of all forget Perth, it’s a very small city with already great connectivity to the rest of the world. Qantas can do Perth London as the flight originates in Melbourne and also gets seamless feed from Adelaide and maybe even a bit from Brisbane. Yields to and from the rest of Australia are also very low so I don’t see the point.

Not entirely true
Qantas has already commented that a majority of the passengers are ex Perth.
However there is the feeds from syd/mel/cbr/adl and regional wa

Although i think the main point was really SIN-EZE with a stop in PER.

spinkid

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 am

qf002 wrote:
Forget Australia-Asia/Europe, the opportunity for DY is in Australia-North America.

There is a big gap in the market for a leisure-focused carrier to launch flights to cities like SAN, LAS, SEA etc while also serving the core markets like LAX and SFO. Cities at this end like CNS and ADL could also support service to LAX a few times a week seasonally. Time to shake things up, the legacy carriers are all obsessed with their corporate contracts (as they should be) and funnelling everybody through LAX.

A new player could induce huge demand and grab a big chunk of the market very quickly without bottoming out fares like we have seen in Asia.

Excellent point! There is very little choice in the U.S. to Australia market. Its also quite expensive. They could potentially get around their ownership issues by stopping in Tahiti.

Mortyman

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 am

by738 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

define full load...
Full dense low cost
Full 4 class low density
Full business class only eg SQ

If you know a little bit about Norwegian you know it's a two class economy (309 seats ) / Premium economy (35 seats) layout. So that si what I mean +- luggage + fuel. Boeing 787-9

cedarjet

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:45 pm

I can imagine BKK SYD as a tag-on from Europe BKK flights. Plenty of local traffic too, BKK SYD used to have 747s of Alitalia, Lufthansa, Olympic, BA and even Pan Am. They all had local traffic rights so I think the route is open skies (Thailand is definitely open skies to all, not sure about Australia but they’re less protective than Canada so it’s probably doable) and they could start at any time if they wanted to.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

a350lover

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Norwegian has already sort of a bit uncommon network. Maybe isn't exactly an "aussie thing" what I would name as their first priority.

mutu

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 pm

CXfirst wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Now it just needs to be British controlled.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos