Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Worldair1
Topic Author

UA starts back IAD-MIA as AA exits

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:01 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 863749002/

I used to fly this a lot for work back in the 2000's. Started as mainline, went to TED for awhile, then finally downgraded to an RJ. Not sure when it ended altogether from Dulles, but it's back again. Not sure why AA exited as I have friends who used that quite a bit and they said it was always 80 to 90% full.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Re: UA starts back IAD-MIA as AA exits

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:06 pm

Wonder if UA will reduce FLL-IAD now? They went double-daily for part of the year it appeared to fend off WN on the route. Somehow Southwest is managing to keep flying this route which is an odd ball in its system though it allows them to advertise that they connect all 3 DC area airports with FLL. But beyond that not sure the value for them, unless connections on the FLL end are high.

enilria

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Discussed here Sunday

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1400181

United1

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:16 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Wonder if UA will reduce FLL-IAD now? They went double-daily for part of the year it appeared to fend off WN on the route. Somehow Southwest is managing to keep flying this route which is an odd ball in its system though it allows them to advertise that they connect all 3 DC area airports with FLL. But beyond that not sure the value for them, unless connections on the FLL end are high.

Doesn't seem like they are cutting IAD-FLL flights back at this point...UA is also adding additional flights from IAD-MCO/TPA.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

shaneam12

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

United1 wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

Doesn't seem like they are cutting IAD-FLL flights back at this point...UA is also adding additional flights from IAD-MCO/TPA.

Actually, FLL seems to be doing just fine. They are even adding a third daily flight from IAD during the holiday season.

izbtmnhd

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:10 pm

IAD-MIA looks to be seasonal. AA really struggled with the route despite no competition. Not quite sure how UA will succeed here with better options at DCA.

United787

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:22 pm

I would think UA would have better success on IAD-MIA. For AA, it was probably mostly O&D on the Washington D.C. end of things and IAD is not the preferred O&D airport. But for UA, they can connect from the northern US, Canada, Europe and Asia through IAD as well as pick up O&D. I am glad to see UA slowly build up IAD as a connecting airport. I would never choose to connect in EWR, but would be happy to at IAD.

evank516

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:23 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
IAD-MIA looks to be seasonal. AA really struggled with the route despite no competition. Not quite sure how UA will succeed here with better options at DCA.

UA recently mentioned their intention to focus more connections on IAD, so I'm guessing this is one of the first moves.

avi8

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:38 pm

It is two daily A319 service. A solid addition. My guess is it is not seasonal given the frequency.
avi8

blockski

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:53 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:

The reason to add this route is to add more spokes to the IAD hub.

For AA, it's the exact opposite - IAD is the spoke connecting to their MIA, and that spoke is already really well served by their flights from DCA.

I have no idea if UA will make this stick, but the opportunity is there for a better option - the better option isn't about local O/D passengers in the DC area, but for those connecting over the IAD hub. Given what we know about UA's stated strategy for shifting some east coast connecting traffic away from EWR and to IAD, this makes complete sense.

izbtmnhd

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 pm

blockski wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

For AA, it's the exact opposite - IAD is the spoke connecting to their MIA, and that spoke is already really well served by their flights from DCA.

I have no idea if UA will make this stick, but the opportunity is there for a better option - the better option isn't about local O/D passengers in the DC area, but for those connecting over the IAD hub. Given what we know about UA's stated strategy for shifting some east coast connecting traffic away from EWR and to IAD, this makes complete sense.

What does IAD offer to a MIA traveler than can’t be offered through AA’s MIA hub itself? Very little. MIA isn’t really a UA city either so there isn’t a huge FF base to tap into. So it will probably come down to O&D which is much smaller compared to EWR/NYC. Better options at DCA as AA found out as well. I’m sure the logic was with nobody on this route between two large hubs somebody has to fly it even if it’s at a loss. Feed the IAD hub as you all are saying.
Last edited by izbtmnhd on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

izbtmnhd

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 pm

avi8 wrote:
It is two daily A319 service. A solid addition. My guess is it is not seasonal given the frequency.

Enrilia’s OAG thread has it as one daily. UA res system had it not operating after March 30th. Has it changed? Is it two now?

blockski

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:26 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
blockski wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

What does IAD offer to a MIA traveler than can’t be done offered through AA’s MIA hub itself? Very little. MIA isn’t really a UA city either so there isn’t a huge FF base to tap into. So it will probably come down to O&D which is much smaller compared to EWR/NYC. Better options at DCA as AA found out. I don’t get it but with nobody on this route between two large markets somebody has to fly it.

For a traveller based in MIA? Probably not much. I suppose there are a few travel options that UA and their Star partners can offer via IAD that aren't available direct from MIA or with AA. The flight from IAD to MIA is timed to connect to IAD's biggest afternoon bank of flights.

But that's just the O part of O/D. For United to add this as a new destination that they can connect you to is indeed something new via IAD. For people elsewhere in the Northeast that want to fly into MIA, UA can now offer something. It's not going to be as strong as their competitors, but it's still something.

This seems a) consistent with UA's stated strategy and b) opportunistic, based on AA pulling out of the route

blockski

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Enrilia’s OAG thread has it as one daily. UA res system had it not operating after March 30th. Has it changed? Is it two now?

It's once daily for the winter season, with an extra daily flight (2x total) during the peak of the peak - 12/24 through 1/6: https://hub.united.com/united-domestic- ... 24990.html

VC10er

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 am

I fly United once or twice a month EWR/MIA. I love going and love TC at EWR. However I hate MIA at the airport because it is a dreary dull experience.
I get it, MIA is AA turf, but how many United aircraft land at MIA a day (now 2 more). How many pax a year? While I don’t think that United needs to do much there, they could do more. All the flights but 1 are 737-8/900s, only one A319 (which I prefer) and no UA or partner club. The AMEX lounge is FAR. I just wish that after 20/24 flights there a year, that United fixed up their gates at MIA and/or put in a mini United Club and offered more 752 service to SFO and EWR. Pipe dreams of course.
I realize it’s not an accurate indicator, but all my flights out of EWR to MIA are packed, every seat taken, and F fares are very high, yet always full, maybe 1 name on the board cleared for an upgrade (sometimes)
I’m glad they are doing this for both IAD and MIA. I just want United to bring their lastest sizzle to the gate area!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

tphuang

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:08 am

Just for reference since these routes were brought up here. This is Q1 data not accounting for flyers that did connections. Don't think AA is loosing a lot of money on IAD-MIA, but DCA-MIA is certainly a lot more profitable. IAD-MIA is just a much weaker market than EWR-MIA. Not really comparable.

CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS LF AvgAsm PRASM
IADFLL 901 WN 19414 122.85 119.29 150.15 88.47% 73.36% 87.51 0.0971
IADFLL 901 UA 48858 191.99 191.19 241.06 98.40% 83.06% 158.81 0.1763
IADMIA 921 AA 28929 202.49 201.43 346.03 99.27% 88.46% 178.18 0.1935
IADMIA 921 YX 15922 187.83 186.65 292.31 98.88% 81.52% 152.15 0.1652
DCAMIA 919 AA 210026 210.64 207.81 367.85 98.23% 85.53% 177.74 0.1934
EWRMIA 1085 AA 84223 204.25 202.29 242.36 95.11% 91.06% 184.21 0.1698
EWRMIA 1085 UA 143882 220.92 219.69 426.88 99.40% 91.50% 201.01 0.1853

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 am

VC10er wrote:
I fly United once or twice a month EWR/MIA. I love going and love TC at EWR. However I hate MIA at the airport because it is a dreary dull experience.
I get it, MIA is AA turf, but how many United aircraft land at MIA a day (now 2 more). How many pax a year? While I don’t think that United needs to do much there, they could do more. All the flights but 1 are 737-8/900s, only one A319 (which I prefer) and no UA or partner club. The AMEX lounge is FAR. I just wish that after 20/24 flights there a year, that United fixed up their gates at MIA and/or put in a mini United Club and offered more 752 service to SFO and EWR. Pipe dreams of course.
I realize it’s not an accurate indicator, but all my flights out of EWR to MIA are packed, every seat taken, and F fares are very high, yet always full, maybe 1 name on the board cleared for an upgrade (sometimes)
I’m glad they are doing this for both IAD and MIA. I just want United to bring their lastest sizzle to the gate area!

I agree with you. I fly to MIA or FLL a few times a year for work. UA's gate area at MIA is a throwback to the 1980's. Probably one of the dumpiest United stations I fly to. Next month I'm flying AA down there because AA's fare is 60% of what UA wants. I really wish they would work to improve their presence there. It's a major US metro.

VC10er

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:48 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:

I agree with you. I fly to MIA or FLL a few times a year for work. UA's gate area at MIA is a throwback to the 1980's. Probably one of the dumpiest United stations I fly to. Next month I'm flying AA down there because AA's fare is 60% of what UA wants. I really wish they would work to improve their presence there. It's a major US metro.

It doesn’t need the full treatment, but considering how many United aircraft from EWR, IAH, ORD, SFO and now IAD, the gate area at least needs sprucing up. The propriety gate seating design is really beautiful and comfortable with great power ports etc. It would not cost that much to carve out a unique to UA experience. I loath loitering around those horrible retail spaces and delapitated restrooms.

EssentialBusDC

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:

You must be talking about the G gates.

I’m seeing more and more usage of the H gates (there were at least 3 overnight aircraft there this morning) which are much more modern in appearance (and assuming in amenities)

VC10er

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 am

EssentialBusDC wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
VC10er wrote:

You must be talking about the G gates.

I’m seeing more and more usage of the H gates (there were at least 3 overnight aircraft there this morning) which are much more modern in appearance (and assuming in amenities)

I do indeed forget if it is G or H (despite the fact I’ve been there 8 times already this year!) I don’t know how many times I’ve had to stand there and flip through magazines or buy a small umbrella to break the boredom!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos