Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation August 2018

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 pm

locstar wrote:
Hi guys,

Coming back yesterday from Europe we were given a direct routing over Istanbul which placed us exactly above the new airport which allowed me to take some photos. Apologies for the quality but I didn't have my DSLR with me.

Great pics . I have seen plenty too but those are great.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm

mafaky wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
They destroyed a big chunk of forest there.. Sad to see.

Well, it wasn't a full and fruitful forest everywhere, which was destroyed (or partly removed). There was a lot of greenery, that erupted out of nowhere especially after the site was deserted by the miners (coal mines and stones mines...), but these were not true forests.

We own a rather biggish piece of land just at the Asian entrance of the FSM Bridge. Thirty years ago there was no nothing there, now it looks like a forest but it is not a real forest. If we could afford to keep that are clean in a regular way, there would be very little greenery over there!... That's why I can speak more confidently on this issue.

But how wise and feasible it has been, to build up a major airport at that location, considering all that land rehabilitation that needs to be done, is a totally different issue. What you see in these photos, are the "best" and "easiest part" of that allocated site. Future constructions will be more painful and costly!...

This was interesting to read. Thank you for the information. Were there no other locations in Istanbul for the airport?

mafaky

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
This was interesting to read. Thank you for the information. Were there no other locations in Istanbul for the airport?

Well, if we are talking about the European side of Istanbul: the honest and realistic answer will be NO!...

The only other area that they could build an airport plus the misc. commercial buildings (and possibly not at this one's overall size) could be the "Silivri" area. But this area is something like 20-25 km. northwest (and no short connection to the sea, it would be an inland facility) of the current Ataturk Airport, almost in parallel location. It would also exhaust some rich farming land (for the worse) and it would, of course, be further away from the City Center(s).

In short, INA's current location is the "better of the worse!" type situation. :? 8-)

1g

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:23 pm

slickvik wrote:
Trump threatening sanctions against Turkish Airlines maybe according to new york times

Details aren't certain.
NYTimes talked with a US official who remaiend anonymous. US official said that the US is preparing new range of sanctions which might include Turkish Airlines.
Here is the article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/worl ... syria.html

Turkish Airlines was mentioned in passing only, the relevant paragraph is this:
"As talks stall over Mr. Brunson’s release, the Trump administration is considering a range of further sanctions against Turkey — including limits on Turkish Airlines, according to a senior administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss delicate negotiations."

LAXintl

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Pegasus posted its Q2 numbers.

Essentially revenues were up 39% to a record US$291.0 million, but net income down to only $2.5 million.
Fuel cost and currency largely driving factors. They have much wider exposure to Lira than TK with 38% of revenue in TL, but only 20% of cost.

Fleet wise they project 81 aircraft by end of 2018. 18 new aircraft due in 2019 including 7 A321NEOs.

YYJTurk

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:53 pm

Maybe this has been mentioned here before, but here it goes;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUdHiiQbMPI

Aviation enthusiast you tuber Sam Chui posted a new video presenting his latest trip to Nepal.
At the 16:35 mark you can see the fate of Turkish aircraft that crash landed a few years ago.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 pm

YYJTurk wrote:

Aviation enthusiast you tuber Sam Chui posted a new video presenting his latest trip to Nepal.
At the 16:35 mark you can see the fate of Turkish aircraft that crash landed a few years ago.

Thanks for the link. That is cool. And the TK A380 model :)

TK773ER

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 pm

As mentioned on the 737 Max Production/ Delivery Thread the first MAX 8 TC-LCA is on it's way to IST https://www.flightradar24.com/THY6830/1d89f538

1g

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:17 am

YYJTurk wrote:

For a moment I thought the Nepal Airline's brand the A332 was TK's written off A332 :shock:

Glad to see they made the best out of a written off aircraft.

globetrotter94

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:21 am

1g wrote:
YYJTurk wrote:

For a moment I thought the Nepal Airline's brand the A332 was TK's written off A332 :shock:

Glad to see they made the best out of a written off aircraft.

Yup. A Nepal Airlines commander bought whatever remained of the airframe and converted it into a small aviation museum of sorts.

peterinlisbon

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 am

321neo wrote:
Turkey Crisis Deepens as Sanctions Threat Sends Lira to Low

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-06/turkey-crisis-deepens-as-sanctions-threat-sends-lira-to-new-low

The Turkish Lira has hit another record low versus the US dollar and Euro. This can hardly be good for Turkish Airlines and Turkish aviation in general?

Probably not, but on the other hand it does attract more tourists. Istanbul is full of Arab tourists these days and they are taking advantage of the low prices.

I'm wondering what is the situation with the bilateral between Morocco and Turkey. It seems to me that prices are way too high - a round trip ticket from Morocco to Istanbul costs between 500$ and 1000$ whereas from London (a similar distance) the price is about 200$. Can't Pegasus or one of the other Turkish airlines start flying to Morocco. I think Marrakech would be a great success for them.

TK105

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 am

Greetings from AYT. Another summer holiday visit to Antalya with family and everything is sold out here at the top of the season. As Mayor of Antalya said recently, “tourists are raining from the sky”. Composition of tourists are ideal with a balanced mixture of Europeans and Asians. Also it is said that IST is breaking its all time records, perhaps final time as Yesilkoy Ataturk Airport.

By the way, I’m booking my ticket to AMS for work break on 29th of Oct, which I’ll be flying to ESB from IST on my way back, few hours before closing of the Atatürk airport. It will be a very sad flight for me. I’ll share my observations.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:18 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I think Marrakech would be a great success for them.

As announced earlier TK will start Marrakech 5 x weekly starting March31, 2019 with 738. Not sure about the bilaterals between the two countries.

YYJTurk

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Is there free Wi Fi provided by the Airport authority in Ataturk and Sabiha Gokcen airports,or do you have to register through third party providers to get a code or password send to your cell phone etc first ?

And I am not talking about certain areas of the airports like lounges or if you are a customer of a certain restaurant, pub or other establishments.
Is there free WiFi for the public in all/most areas at the airport ?

Regards,
H.

mict

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:13 pm

YYJTurk wrote:
Is there free Wi Fi provided by the Airport authority in Ataturk and Sabiha Gokcen airports,or do you have to register through third party providers to get a code or password send to your cell phone etc first ?

And I am not talking about certain areas of the airports like lounges or if you are a customer of a certain restaurant, pub or other establishments.

Regards,
H.

IST has WiFi but last time I was there you needed cell phone because they text you an access code.

YYJTurk

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:18 pm

mict wrote:
YYJTurk wrote:

Regards,
H.

IST has WiFi but last time I was there you needed cell phone because they text you an access code.

So if you are a tourist or a transit passenger without a Turkish sim card, and your own foreign sim card turned off to roaming you can't receive a text, am I correct ?

As you know in most major Western airports you can simply connect to WIFI with a simple click on your cell phone by accepting/agreeing to terms of service.

AirbusA343

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 pm

I was in IST on the 1st and I had to turn roaming on to get wifi. I got charged €40 for having roaming on!!

mict

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 pm

You can turn roaming on but keep your Data off that way you don't get charged.

bahadir

Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:03 am

None of the posters are talking about the shortage of crews in TK.. Management is totally clueless about the impact of the devaluation to the pilot salaries. Some of my friends that work for TK are now getting compensated at the levels of regional CAs here in USA. Many have applications out to Gulf carriers, etc. Unless TK management addresses this issue urgently, they will find themselves not being able to sustain the current level of service at the airline.

mercure1

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 am

CAPA has an analysis on weak Lira and seems to believe it will be a net benefit for TK and possibly also Pegasus. In TK case they believe it might actually further boost profitability.

Turkish Airlines & Pegasus: the slumping lira isn't all bad news
https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ews-433764

aldrigsomandre

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:49 am

bahadir wrote:
None of the posters are talking about the shortage of crews in TK.. Management is totally clueless about the impact of the devaluation to the pilot salaries. Some of my friends that work for TK are now getting compensated at the levels of regional CAs here in USA. Many have applications out to Gulf carriers, etc. Unless TK management addresses this issue urgently, they will find themselves not being able to sustain the current level of service at the airline.

For a country that has global expansion ambitions, why isn't Turkey training more pilots? Global demand is off the charts and it is a surefire way to get unemployment down. I know training pilots is expensive, but the return on investment is massive as well.

globetrotter94

Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:06 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
bahadir wrote:

For a country that has global expansion ambitions, why isn't Turkey training more pilots? Global demand is off the charts and it is a surefire way to get unemployment down. I know training pilots is expensive, but the return on investment is massive as well.

My impression from a presentation given by Temel Kotil in 2015/16 was that they are, but even then, were not able to keep up with the required numbers.

aldrigsomandre

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 am

globetrotter94 wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
bahadir wrote:

My impression from a presentation given by Temel Kotil in 2015/16 was that they are, but even then, were not able to keep up with the required numbers.

I wasn't just targeting TK with my comment. Wouldn't a nationwide training drive benefit the country? To be a regional training hub?

bahadir

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:05 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:

Training pilots is not like opening up new business school. It requires many years of pre-planning and foresight by the powers in government and private sector. This is the same reason why we have a pilot shortage here in US as well: pilots were consudered nothing but a cost item.

In THY's case, they have an "academy" that is poorly put together. The ab-initio candidates are being forced to sign a bond that is in Euros but their salaries are paid in Turkish Liras. (So when these people join the rank and file of other pilots, more than half of their salary will go to pay off of the bond, getting them to be paid lower than flight attendants). The other issues is outflow of pilots from Turkish Airlines. Expats are leaving if not already left in droves because of weak Lira. Even native pilots are considering opportunities in the Middle East and elsewhere.

The reason you see MNG operating turkish frieghters is due to lack of pilots. The 3 777s that will get delivered this year are going to suffer some delays due to same reason.

peterinlisbon

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 am

TK787 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
I think Marrakech would be a great success for them.

As announced earlier TK will start Marrakech 5 x weekly starting March31, 2019 with 738. Not sure about the bilaterals between the two countries.

Wow, that´s great news. I´m really sick of dealing with European airlines like Air France and Lufthansa that treat transit passengers very poorly.

RobK

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:49 am

TC-LCA first revenue service today. Do any of you know if TK is naming their Max frames? It delivered sans name and I've not found any pics of today's flights online yet.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:10 pm

TK is spending a bunch these days on producing ads. After Ridley Scott's TK commercial few weeks ago, I hear that a new commercial is in works for the new airport's opening. Just like the first one, this one is headed by an American creative team.

globetrotter94

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 am

RobK wrote:
TC-LCA first revenue service today. Do any of you know if TK is naming their Max frames? It delivered sans name and I've not found any pics of today's flights online yet.

I'm sure they'll name it eventually. A lot of the A330s and 77Ws also remain without names. To be honest, I think TK ran out of feasible names of Turkish cities for their aircraft a few years ago and are having to become increasingly creative on this front.

globetrotter94

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 am

TK787 wrote:
TK is spending a bunch these days on producing ads. After Ridley Scott's TK commercial few weeks ago, I hear that a new commercial is in works for the new airport's opening. Just like the first one, this one is headed by an American creative team.

Somewhat surprising that they seem to be preserving their relationship with creative teams in the US given that I read a few days ago that they had pulled all advertisements from US media.

OA260

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:02 pm

YYJTurk wrote:
As you know in most major Western airports you can simply connect to WIFI with a simple click on your cell phone by accepting/agreeing to terms of service.

Hopefully in the new airport they will take the opportunity to have ultra fast Wifi and free to all. No codes just customer friendly agree terms then click right in. Turkey still has a lot of red tape when it comes to communications. Just to buy a PAYG SIM they want passport photocopies and lots of info .

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
Turkey still has a lot of red tape when it comes to communications.

Recently , I actually had a pleasant experience. I wanted to use my unlocked US iphone in Turkey. I went to a Turkcell store in a mall, I had to pay around $25 to get a phone number (SIM card) and a monthly plan ( 6Gs, 1000 SMS, 500 Phone calls or so), if I use up the data I can simply go add more data, online or at a store.
24 hours later, I got a msg from big brother telling me that I am using an unregistered phone and it will be locked in 120 days if I don't register it. Did some online research and by going online to an e-government site (you have to be a Turkish national with ID and password), I entered my US passport no, my place and date of entry, my iphone's IMEI code and had to pay around $35 tax and Voila! all in a matter of 5 minutes, I can use my US phone in Turkey by changing its SIM card. It also tells that I can bring a new phone every two years. I really wasn't expecting to be able to do this online. Let's see what happens next time I am over there (fingers crossed)

mict

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:20 am

TK is splitting their IST-SGN-HAN and IST-HAN-SGN routes to serve both destinations non stop. There is also a big frequency boost going from 7 flights per week to Vietnam to almost double daily. (HAN operating 6 weekly and SGN daily) All flights operated by A330.

mafaky

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:31 am

24 hours later, I got a msg from big brother telling me that I am using an unregistered phone and it will be locked in 120 days if I don't register it.

A bit off-topic, but for your own safety!

BEWARE: That 120 days grace period is true, and has been in practice since some time. Previously they would lock you phone within 7-10 days. However, assume you arrive to Turkey and insert a local SIM card. Sure, it works! But suppose you leave Turkey and go to Greece for a short visit. If and when you return back to Turkey, that 120-day period has already ended. I don't know what happens the next year, if you enter Turkey with that same phone and insert the same old local SIM card...

I guess this (120 days') practice was introduced to care for the needs of Turkish expats (mainly coming from Germany and other European countries...) for their summer vacations and stays.
Last edited by mafaky on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

globetrotter94

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am

mict wrote:
TK is splitting their IST-SGN-HAN and IST-HAN-SGN routes to serve both destinations non stop. There is also a big frequency boost going from 7 flights per week to Vietnam to almost double daily. (HAN operating 6 weekly and SGN daily) All flights operated by A330.

If TK can run mutliple services to several countries in Southeast Asia (Thailand--BKK and HKT; Vietnam--HAN and SGN; Indonesia--CGK and soon, DPS); I still find the curtailment of services to Japan from 2X daily to NRT and 1X KIX to just 1X NRT to be both depressing and surprising. Is there any updated information about TK in Japan?

I wonder if there was some argument/major disagreement between TK and KIX over landing fees or some such matter, which I understand can be pretty high at KIX.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:31 pm

mafaky wrote:

I guess this (120 days') practice was introduced to care for the needs of Turkish expats (mainly coming from Germany and other European countries...) for their summer vacations and stays.

-Exactly that is the case. I have friends have been doing it for years and they only visit Turkey once a year. They change the US SIM just before landing. No need to get a new SIM card every year, since the system recognizes the IMEI no on the phone.
But, just like you say. It is Turkey, anything can happen :)

-Finally, great news from Eksi of THY: TK is working on new uniforms and will be unveiled with the new airport. IIRC, they were designed by an Italian designer, Ettore Bilotta. Pretty, pretty please, please NO overall RED!!!
-TK Business Lounge will have different sections; he says, Business Class passengers, Elite's and Elite Plus's. So, may be 2 lounges one for Elite and one for Elite Plus like SAW domestic. Not sure where you put Star Gold and Business Class paying pax. Any ideas?

Yakamoz

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:15 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
mict wrote:

If TK can run mutliple services to several countries in Southeast Asia (Thailand--BKK and HKT; Vietnam--HAN and SGN; Indonesia--CGK and soon, DPS); I still find the curtailment of services to Japan from 2X daily to NRT and 1X KIX to just 1X NRT to be both depressing and surprising. Is there any updated information about TK in Japan?

I wonder if there was some argument/major disagreement between TK and KIX over landing fees or some such matter, which I understand can be pretty high at KIX.
TK is planning to resume KIX and increase NRT again. This was last month in the news.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

globetrotter94

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Yakamoz wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
mict wrote:

TK is planning to resume KIX and increase NRT again. This was last month in the news.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Really? Do you have any source for this? I would be super interested, even if it is only in Turkish.

LAXintl

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:07 pm

mafaky

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:06 pm

I hope/wish the 2nd Tokyo service will be for Haneda (HND) instead of Narita (NRT). In my opinion, a daily KIX service may not end up profitably. Perhaps a weekly 4X service???

LAXintl

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Turkey previously held talks to get HND slots, but looks like it will not happen.
Besides the overall shortage of international slots and several other counties in line also waiting (Finland, UAE, Italy, Netherlands ) the issue is that a Japanese carrier would also receive the equivalent number of HND slots they could only use to Turkey, but there is no desire for them to launch such service at the moment. Who knows maybe one day ANA will consider it in cooperation with TK, but both ANA and JAL are rather conservative with their long haul network.

The overall Japanese market demand movement is interesting. TK cut its flights due to a massive drop in Japanese tourism following the multiple 2016 terrorism incidents and coup. Now, however, the risk-averse Japanese are flocking back to Turkey in record numbers, so the timing of the added service is right.

globetrotter94

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:43 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Thanks a ton, LAXintl!

Personally, I hope against hope that Osaka/KIX is reinstated--really want a TK connection to my home city, since flying to Tokyo or Seoul is just too inconvenient, especially given the timings of the current TK52/53. But these links seem promising.

@Mafaky--back when TK46/47 (Istanbul-Osaka) was still operational (even as late as mid-2015), it used to get quite good loads. I flew on it quite a few times between 2013 and 2016, and my impression was that there was quite a lot of traffic from pensioner tourists. Japanese pensioners (especially those who travel), have a lot of cash to spend, so that might be promising for yields as well?--although no way of me to be sure... Business class also used to get decent loads especially from Japanese manufacturing/construction/engineering companies that are active in the Osaka/Kobe region

mafaky

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Well, in case of KIX (and assuming daily service), will TK still use the true-ER 332s who have been a bit modernised (for the Business cabin), but nevertheless still showing their age?

globetrotter94

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:26 am

mafaky wrote:
Well, in case of KIX (and assuming daily service), will TK still use the true-ER 332s who have been a bit modernised (for the Business cabin), but nevertheless still showing their age?

Aren't those 4 or 5 aircraft fully stretched out on other routes now? I would think that the new 787-9s would also be able to service this route, if it is restarted, even more profitably.

mafaky

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Indeed they (5 frames) are: they fly exclusively the IST-BOG-PTY-IST (3x weekly), IST-HAV-CCS-IST (3x weekly), IST-ATL-IST (5x weekly) and IST-CPT-IST (5x weekly) routes on S18 schedule. In their free-times they fly almost anywhere within Europe and also to Islamabad & Kabul. I recall that ATL (alongside with IAD) in USA will be one on the first routes to receive 789 services. So at least one of these aging 332 frames may be available for KIX services (which may likely start in S19, but maybe not earlier) and a second one may be relieved from CPT services and replaced by 333s for W18/19 ops (as "winter" in Istanbul/Northern hemisphere is "summer" down there in the south...)

But I wonder, when these 5 frames may be grounded one by one for a long period due to their "D Checks" (if they haven't already undergone their first one...). :?: :?:

UAEflyer

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Is there a room for a new airline (full service or low cost) in Turkey? Is it because TK is so big and no one dare to compete? Or is there behind the scenes protectionism?
With the new IST coming soon, the slots & gates issue will be solved, places like Italy, Spain, England all have more than 1 airline, with it’s ambitious to be full member of the EU, would it wise to establish a new airline in partnership with other international investors such as DL, SQ, QR, or any other company.

LAXintl

Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:21 pm

At the moment you basically have 5 airlines that offer scheduled service in Turkey. THY, Pegasus, AtlasGlobal, Onur Air and Sun Express. You also have all charter operators like Freebird and Corendon.

I am not sure the market needs an additional player when many of these companiea struggle themselves especially in the winter off season.
Maybe a regional operator can build a niche. Borajet tried that but they also had some broader organizational issues which did not help.

gokmengs

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am

IIRC the new airport will allow for a 10% increase in daily movements right off the bat, while I think thats a decent increase and relief, still not enough for all the expansion TK and others are planning in the future, do we know when the 3rd runway will be complete and we can see the real difference?
Seeing the 787 ops for other airlines I get excited about all the routes that TK can launch especially in the US.
I also want to ask you guys the probability of TK getting A350K, IIRC TK placed orders for 900 version only.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:39 am

gokmengs wrote:
do we know when the 3rd runway will be complete and we can see the real difference?
Seeing the 787 ops for other airlines I get excited about all the routes that TK can launch especially in the US.
I also want to ask you guys the probability of TK getting A350K, IIRC TK placed orders for 900 version only.

-3rd runway is very important, should be ready end of next year, IIRC. mafaky could tell us the details.
-789 first routes will be Atlanta, Dulles and Denpasar second half of 2019. I think we will see South American destinations added.
-About 350. I am not sure if TK will go for the 350ULR or 350-1000, Instead I'd like to see some 777-900s.

gokmengs

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:38 pm

TK787 wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
do we know when the 3rd runway will be complete and we can see the real difference?

-3rd runway is very important, should be ready end of next year, IIRC. mafaky could tell us the details.
-789 first routes will be Atlanta, Dulles and Denpasar second half of 2019. I think we will see South American destinations added.
-About 350. I am not sure if TK will go for the 350ULR or 350-1000, Instead I'd like to see some 777-900s.

Thanks as always for the reply TK787. Lets hope they wont get comfortable post opening and go with the same pace to complete other phases of this incredible project.
RE:787 Routes: heard of Atlanta, I am expecting to see SEA, DFW, DEN, DTW, wish Canada bilateral allowed more destinations YVR for example

TK could use a few 350R to launch the fames SYD route, and I see 350-1000 to open new routes that require capacity and/or relieve the 777W's. As for 779 not exactly sure, I think a re-engined 380 fleet of 6-8 would be great to crown the LH fleet;)

aldrigsomandre

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:51 pm

China Southern is coming back to Istanbul. I wonder if other Chinese airlines will follow. With the fall of the lira, Istanbul is a rather attractive shopping destination for the Chinese.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2018/