Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Looks like AA just announced a Daily summer seasonal service from DFW to DUB to be flown by the 787-9
daily from June 6–Sept. 28
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2018/American-Airlines-Expands-European-Footprint-and-Modifies-Asia-Service/
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9975
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Excellent news - first regular 787-9 service!
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Dublin Airport Welcomes New Dallas Route

The new summer service will begin on June 6 and will run until September 28, 2019. The flight will depart Dallas at 20.35, arriving in Dublin at 11.40 the following day. The return flight will depart Dublin at 13.40, arriving in Dallas at 17.45.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... llas-route
 
EI121
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Great news regarding DUB-DFW. Long overdue albeit a very short season.

AA JFK has been cut for S19
 
User avatar
Dublinspotter
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:05 pm

What are the potential implications for EI if the rumours are true about them considering DFW?
Dublinspotter
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Dublin Airport Welcomes New Dallas Route

The new summer service will begin on June 6 and will run until September 28, 2019. The flight will depart Dallas at 20.35, arriving in Dublin at 11.40 the following day. The return flight will depart Dublin at 13.40, arriving in Dallas at 17.45.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... llas-route


I guess that EI are looking at DFW then....
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Dublinspotter wrote:
What are the potential implications for EI if the rumours are true about them considering DFW?


I'd expect they will move on to the next airport on the short list with similar economics

If they wanted to serve TX
IAH - would work nicely with UA connections
AUS - seems to be a winner for BA, potentially it could support a DUB service
SAT - (distant 3rd) un-served market
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 pm

AA were always a much better suited carrier on DFW, it was not on the radar for EI this year and most of the rumours were just speculation because of IAG and AA have a hub here so they must fly such a route.

I strongly suspect the JFK cancellation may be replaced by A321LR service operated by EI next summer (if they arrive). Speaking of EI, they appear to have increased promotion of MIA for this coming winter so hopefully it pays off.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Disappointing to see JFK-DUB cancelled but the 757 wasn’t really competitive versus EI / DL on the route and with Aer Lingus’ impending addition to the transatlantic joint venture I’m sure we’ll see AA codeshare on their twice daily service. Perhaps EI will reinstate their seasonal early morning ex DUB / daytime westbound

Great to see DFW added, even if it’s only seasonal though
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Eirules wrote:
Disappointing to see JFK-DUB cancelled but the 757 wasn’t really competitive versus EI / DL on the route and with Aer Lingus’ impending addition to the transatlantic joint venture I’m sure we’ll see AA codeshare on their twice daily service.


The 757 isn't the worst product out there but it really looks like AA is surrendering most JFK transatlantic traffic to Delta. I expect EI will increase frequency to JFK once the A321s come on line
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24908
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:35 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
Looks like AA just announced a Daily summer seasonal service from DFW to DUB to be flown by the 787-9
daily from June 6–Sept. 28
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2018/American-Airlines-Expands-European-Footprint-and-Modifies-Asia-Service/


Depending on how the route performs AA will most likely extend this. Its a sensible approach to test the waters.
 
mast2407
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Brilliant news for Dublin! Looking forward to EI’s new routes in the coming weeks!
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 am

VFRonTop wrote:
Looks like AA just announced a Daily summer seasonal service from DFW to DUB to be flown by the 787-9 daily from June 6–Sept. 28/

Ugh, yet another opportunity for EI missed. I can't see EI to Texas now at all - IAH, no, as EI will likely dump UA to be in IAG's AA JV, and AUS, no, as it's not within range of the 321NEO and the 330's are too big for it. What a shame.

Separately, is a daily service really necessary for this route, particularly given that the shortness of the season suggests limited demand? Further, why do they feel the need to announce this route so far out? It's about 10 months away!

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 am

I assume that on the 330 front, DEN and LAS are now more likely for EI than any Texas route?

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:27 am

VFRonTop wrote:
AA is surrendering most JFK transatlantic traffic to Delta.

Indeed. Can anyone explain to me why PHL is AA's only year-round service from DUB, while the likes of ORD isn't? I would have thought that JFK - DUB and ORD - DUB would have been better for AA than PHL - DUB, particularly after EI launched PHL - DUB itself, eroding PHL - DUB's advantage of no competition. One also has to wonder if this DFW service will erode transfers for AA that previously went through PHL and ORD, and whether this fact could warrant downgrades of those other AA DUB services? Interesting times!

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
I strongly suspect the JFK cancellation may be replaced by A321LR service operated by EI next summer (if they arrive).

I'm not familiar with discrepancies in product offering between the 330's and 321NEO's, but would a dual operation on a single route not be a bit of a risk for EI? Even if the seats are the same, the overall offering on the 321NEO is arguably poorer, with a less spacious single-aisle layout. This inconsistency could create backlash from EI's JFK passengers. That said, an improved frequency offering will be good.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
I strongly suspect the JFK cancellation may be replaced by A321LR service operated by EI next summer (if they arrive).

I'm not familiar with discrepancies in product offering between the 330's and 321NEO's, but would a dual operation on a single route not be a bit of a risk for EI? Even if the seats are the same, the overall offering on the 321NEO is arguably poorer, with a less spacious single-aisle layout. This inconsistency could create backlash from EI's JFK passengers. That said, an improved frequency offering will be good.

Cheers,

C.


EI operated double daily A330s and a daytime return 757 simultaneously a few years ago, it has been done, and I have no doubt will be done again (particularly in relation to the daytime return).

At this stage we don’t know if the A321neoLR is going to have the same product, but I’d imagine it would, if they decide to do something new it may even be better, this time next year we’ll know either way.

Regardless the majority of pax wouldn’t notice the difference, and those that would would either book one of the A330 rotations if they really want it or sacrifice their perception of comfort for the sake of the daytime return option.
 
richcandy
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:
Looks like AA just announced a Daily summer seasonal service from DFW to DUB to be flown by the 787-9 daily from June 6–Sept. 28/

Ugh, yet another opportunity for EI missed. I can't see EI to Texas now at all - IAH, no, as EI will likely dump UA to be in IAG's AA JV, and AUS, no, as it's not within range of the 321NEO and the 330's are too big for it. What a shame.

Separately, is a daily service really necessary for this route, particularly given that the shortness of the season suggests limited demand? Further, why do they feel the need to announce this route so far out? It's about 10 months away!

Cheers,

C.


You might well be right.

But...could it be that AA and EI have talked about this service and decided that it would be best that AA operate it. Thinking long term with codeshare and join operations in mind?

Alex
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4383
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:37 am

richcandy wrote:
But...could it be that AA and EI have talked about this service and decided that it would be best that AA operate it.

Perhaps - but AA have more hubs and options to deploy their fleet to than EI does, so I'd have assumed that within the JV, it'd have made more sense for EI to operate this one.

Cheers,

C.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8358
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:26 am

Ryanair getting a lot of negative press on bbc this morning - sending out unsigned compensation cheques that are costing people bank charges due to cheques being denied.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 am

richcandy wrote:
You might well be right.

But...could it be that AA and EI have talked about this service and decided that it would be best that AA operate it. Thinking long term with codeshare and join operations in mind?

Alex


EI and AA are not partners/ JV, nor do they codeshare. They are direct competitors so if they did discuss it would be a serious breach of competition/antitrust laws.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 am

richcandy wrote:
But...could it be that AA and EI have talked about this service and decided that it would be best that AA operate it. Thinking long term with codeshare and join operations in mind?


Unless the participants want to end up in serious hot water they won't have discussed it. What is more likely is that AA have gotten wind of EI's intention to launch DFW and decided to get in there first. Whether EI will launch DFW or not will be interesting. EI clearly have no qualms about operating into competitor hubs, but two airlines on a new route like DFW might be too much. If you want to see how this ends look at Thomas Cook and Virgin at MAN - they both went on LAX, SFO and BOS at the same time.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 am

planemanofnz wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
I strongly suspect the JFK cancellation may be replaced by A321LR service operated by EI next summer (if they arrive).

I'm not familiar with discrepancies in product offering between the 330's and 321NEO's, but would a dual operation on a single route not be a bit of a risk for EI? Even if the seats are the same, the overall offering on the 321NEO is arguably poorer, with a less spacious single-aisle layout. This inconsistency could create backlash from EI's JFK passengers. That said, an improved frequency offering will be good.

Cheers,

C.


If EI were to put the 321LR on the JFK route perhaps they would just use it to reinstate the early morning same day return flight previously operated by the 757.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm

TPA due to announce a new transatlantic route this afternoon with rumours it could be EI
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
cc47
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Eirules wrote:
TPA due to announce a new transatlantic route this afternoon with rumours it could be EI

DUB is one of six "target" international airports for TPA and is surely the favourite for the service. Route announcement is at 3pm Irish time
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Think it may be KLM to AMS.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:00 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Think it may be KLM to AMS.


Yep looks like it
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5008
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Ugh, yet another opportunity for EI missed. I can't see EI to Texas now at all

Separately, is a daily service really necessary for this route, particularly given that the shortness of the season suggests limited demand? Further, why do they feel the need to announce this route so far out? It's about 10 months away!


If it was such a big opportunity for EI, they would have gone into DFW before the routes they did go into. Airlines choose routes based on the amount of money they forecast to make - Dallas was therefore not forecast to be that big a deal for EI whereas other cities were. Lamenting the "lost opportunity" is a bit silly.

Europe is crazy for tourists in summer, so operating June to September at the peak of the high season makes perfect sense.

When it comes to the schedule, most airlines allow booking 330 days ahead. Therefore, having the routes in the timetable at the earliest opportunity is just how it works. I've booked flight tickets 11 months ahead of time before, so it's not unheard of and is why reservations open so early.

I believe EI is due to join the Transatlantic JV with BA, AA, etc sometime next year. They won't have been discussing anything at this point as they are competing together.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
embraer420
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:03 pm

ClassicLover wrote:


I believe EI is due to join the Transatlantic JV with BA, AA, etc sometime next year.


So that means they're ending the partnership with UA?
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5008
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:02 pm

embraer420 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:


I believe EI is due to join the Transatlantic JV with BA, AA, etc sometime next year.


So that means they're ending the partnership with UA?


Personally, I'd think so, but in reality nobody knows.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24908
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Passengers left fuming over hour-long delays due to huge Dublin Airport queues

Hundreds of passengers faced an hour-long wait after arriving into Dublin Airport to heavy queues on Tuesday night.

Passengers were left fuming due to the wait to make it through customs and passport control amid a huge number of arrivals into Terminal 1.

Several people took to social media to voice their frustration, with the situation being described as ’embarrassing’ and ‘a shambles’.

https://extra.ie/2018/08/22/news/irish- ... val-delays

---

Flying From Dublin Airport This Weekend? You'll Need To Take Note Of Traffic Restrictions
Getting to the airport won't be as straightforward as usual...

With Dublin set to be on lockdown for the visit of Pope Francis this weekend, it might be a good idea to hightail it out of the city for a couple of days.

However, the Pontiff is due to land at Dublin Airport around 10.30am on Saturday, so if you're flying around that time it might be worth setting off a tad early as there's sure to be a bit of a hullabaloo.

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/traffic- ... apal-visit
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:
AA is surrendering most JFK transatlantic traffic to Delta.

Indeed. Can anyone explain to me why PHL is AA's only year-round service from DUB, while the likes of ORD isn't? I would have thought that JFK - DUB and ORD - DUB would have been better for AA than PHL - DUB, particularly after EI launched PHL - DUB itself, eroding PHL - DUB's advantage of no competition. One also has to wonder if this DFW service will erode transfers for AA that previously went through PHL and ORD, and whether this fact could warrant downgrades of those other AA DUB services? Interesting times!

Cheers,

C.

AA has been increasingly following a strategy of making ORD a seasonal long haul hub. ORD-LHR is now AA’s only transatlantic route out of ORD in the winter. Routes like CDG and DUB all operated year-round for AA from ORD in the past but do not anymore.
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:02 pm

How on earth do people think that EI would fly Dublin to Tampa? Am I missing something??? They would need an A330 for that route. With MCO at 4w and Miami at 3w, I really cannot see any further room for EI growth at Florida. It will be bulking up existing services to the above cities surely, rather than start a 3rd Florida route. This is really my
Humble opinion. Am I missing something as to why some people think Aer Lingus would use a 330 on a Dublin - Tampa route, ahead of Houston, Denver or Las Vegas for example?
 
shamrock321
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 pm

The TPA route confirmed as DL to AMS. I’m clueless as to where it will be, DEN would surprise me given only BA and LH operate there from Europe but then again SEA surprised me!
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am

Agreement has been reached in talks between Ryanair and pilots' union Fórsa, the trade union has said.

The agreement comes after a 22-hour session which began yesterday morning and ended at 7.30am today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/08 ... 0-ryanair/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24908
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 am

New Dublin Airport runway too short according to pilots' association who say long-haul flights might have to drop capacity to take off

He said that the planes would need to offload to maximise travel distances, and that longer haul flights using the new runway would need to drop about 12 tonnes in fuel, cargo, or passengers.

www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dubl ... y-15047255
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:16 am

shamrock321 wrote:
The TPA route confirmed as DL to AMS. I’m clueless as to where it will be, DEN would surprise me given only BA and LH operate there from Europe but then again SEA surprised me!


Daily DFW seems ambitious, EI could never have launched at that frequency. AA are clearly going to feed everting south and west of Dallas through DFW. I think their 787s are a well regarded product too.
I think routes like DEN, LAS, PHX could work, I wouldn’t expect to see anything within range of an A321 and routes which BA does well on, or is the only operator.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:25 am

I said LAS from the start and I’m sticking with that. Beyond that, DL are dropping CDG-PIT so PIT could be a possibility but maybe they won’t step on BA’s toes. Perhaps YUL or DTW?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
embraer420
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:41 am

Eirules wrote:
I said LAS from the start and I’m sticking with that. Beyond that, DL are dropping CDG-PIT so PIT could be a possibility but maybe they won’t step on BA’s toes. Perhaps YUL or DTW?


Yeah, I'd say LAS as well. DEN, DTW, YUL, YVR, PIT or PDX I think for the second destination, or perhaps (though unlikely) YYC or MKE.

Whatever about these new routes, I'm just waiting for the day EI announce a route to Asia.
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:04 pm

embraer420 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
I said LAS from the start and I’m sticking with that. Beyond that, DL are dropping CDG-PIT so PIT could be a possibility but maybe they won’t step on BA’s toes. Perhaps YUL or DTW?


Yeah, I'd say LAS as well. DEN, DTW, YUL, YVR, PIT or PDX I think for the second destination, or perhaps (though unlikely) YYC or MKE.

Whatever about these new routes, I'm just waiting for the day EI announce a route to Asia.


PDX.....? Really cannot see that happening as it would eat into Seattle.

What about Minneapolis?
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5409
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:00 pm

embraer420 wrote:
Eirules wrote:
I said LAS from the start and I’m sticking with that. Beyond that, DL are dropping CDG-PIT so PIT could be a possibility but maybe they won’t step on BA’s toes. Perhaps YUL or DTW?


Yeah, I'd say LAS as well. DEN, DTW, YUL, YVR, PIT or PDX I think for the second destination, or perhaps (though unlikely) YYC or MKE.

Whatever about these new routes, I'm just waiting for the day EI announce a route to Asia.



Remember these 2 routes are probably A321 routes so that rules out LAS or DEN. I could be wrong but saying they start in July would maybe indicate they are waiting for confirmed delivery dates of the new aircraft before they can announce. If they were to be A330 flights sure EI would have announced by now.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9975
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:03 pm

EI itself said that they'd be announced within two weeks (which must be around two weeks ago by now!)

While I haven't heard anything from EI about further A330s, EI would have little problem in sourcing one (or more) if necessary. QR has quite a few that it will no doubt be happy to get rid of as it gets more A350s and 789s. These would be GE powered, be equipped with modern IFE and similarly configured.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5008
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Flight Global are reporting that Ryanair expect to be able to interline their European passengers to Aer Lingus' long haul network from early 2019.

Apparently the thing stopping it so far has been getting the Aer Lingus and Ryanair reservations systems to work together. The solution was going to be to use GDS systems but they're trying something else.

It's on the Dashboard so it's not up yet on the main site.

How often have we heard that it's a technical problem due to Aer Lingus' reservations system that has made something more difficult? :) It must be an amazing system if EI won't let it go and get something that other airlines use.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:12 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Flight Global are reporting that Ryanair expect to be able to interline their European passengers to Aer Lingus' long haul network from early 2019.

Apparently the thing stopping it so far has been getting the Aer Lingus and Ryanair reservations systems to work together. The solution was going to be to use GDS systems but they're trying something else.

It's on the Dashboard so it's not up yet on the main site.

How often have we heard that it's a technical problem due to Aer Lingus' reservations system that has made something more difficult? :) It must be an amazing system if EI won't let it go and get something that other airlines use.



In the same way that EI, the 'National Flag Carrier' seems to be content with offering cheese from the Netherlands in its Dublin lounge - I can understand it though, it's not as though Ireland has a dairy industry to support... :banghead: Then once appreciating the lustre of the 'cheese' through its very thick vacuum sealed wrapping you wonder how the elderly or those with less than stellar motor skills :old: are going to open the damn stuff, but you persevere, you taste it and realise that those unable to open the pack are the true winners :white:

So no, I'm not in the least surprised that EI have taken the obstinate position as regards their reservation system :spin:
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24908
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Flight Global are reporting that Ryanair expect to be able to interline their European passengers to Aer Lingus' long haul network from early 2019.

Apparently the thing stopping it so far has been getting the Aer Lingus and Ryanair reservations systems to work together. The solution was going to be to use GDS systems but they're trying something else.

It's on the Dashboard so it's not up yet on the main site.

How often have we heard that it's a technical problem due to Aer Lingus' reservations system that has made something more difficult? :) It must be an amazing system if EI won't let it go and get something that other airlines use.


The system is limited and outdated. It really must be bad when it makes IB’s IT look good. Often passengers with reservations not made on EI.COM cant perform simple tasks on the EI website such as add bags, add seats or bid for upgrades etc... It involves a phone call. In this day and age those are basic functions that should not be an issue. BA IB and even VY manage it.
 
EI564
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 am

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 pm

OA260 wrote:
New Dublin Airport runway too short according to pilots' association who say long-haul flights might have to drop capacity to take off

Seems ridiculous. If an A350 can fly to HKG using a 2600m runway, there can't be much of an issue with a 3100m runway. Certainly not worth spending millions more euros for a 2 a week service somewhere.
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 pm

EI564 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
New Dublin Airport runway too short according to pilots' association who say long-haul flights might have to drop capacity to take off

Seems ridiculous. If an A350 can fly to HKG using a 2600m runway, there can't be much of an issue with a 3100m runway. Certainly not worth spending millions more euros for a 2 a week service somewhere.


Just because a plane can take off and fly somewhere doesn't mean it can necessarily fly there with a full passenger/cargo load or at MTOW, which in many cases will be crucial to the viability of the route. That's not even considering inclement weather, which could affect the seasonal performance of a route too.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24908
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:22 pm

'Non-priority' Ryanair customers face charge for second bag

Ryanair is to end its long-standing practice of allowing passengers to take a 10kg piece of hand luggage for free and will charge between €6 and €10 for the service from November.

From 1 November, non-priority passengers can only bring one free "small personal bag" on board.

However, under the new rules, if a non-priority passenger wants to bring a medium-sized suitcase of up to 10kg, they will now have to pay.

www.rte.ie/news/2018/0823/987129-ryanair-hand-luggage/
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Poor pilots must be getting tired of their USA / Canada layover! Though I must admit the idea of the DAA not building the runway to make full use of the opportunities does sound familiar!
 
Planes4you
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 am

Is it possible that ELs 3rd route (besides DEN,and LAS which are the most likely) think it’ll be between IAH or DFW(to compete with AA) So if it did come down to IAH and DFW who would they chose?
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos