Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 8/18: An august institution

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:57 pm

eirflot wrote:
I think Brexit will make little difference to transport. I cannot see how anything will change.

Interesting move on LCY
A regional jet in EI - if I were Stobart I might be concerned. Two years of service by WX before the renewal of the current arrangement!

Interesting times

I tend to agree with you . A no deal scenario for Ireland means a EU bailout / aid to cushion the Irish economy. Thats according to the remain camp and Irish economists.

As for WX its really the only way for them. Shame to see such a weakening of the brand but the aircraft will look great in the EI livery . Lets hope they lease the ones with least tech issues!

Jshank83

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Has there been anymore talk of this North American announcement in a "week or two" from the beginning of the month?

alancostello

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Has there been anymore talk of this North American announcement in a "week or two" from the beginning of the month?

I was just about to say, I'm hoping LCY doesn't count as one of the 'new routes' they've been touting and we still get two NA destinations.

shamrock350

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

A "week or two" in Aer Lingus language is more like 4-6 weeks for everyone else. August was always a bit early anyway.

BrianDromey

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm

OA260 wrote:
As for WX its really the only way for them. Shame to see such a weakening of the brand but the aircraft will look great in the EI livery . Lets hope they lease the ones with least tech issues!

I think this, or something like it, has been inevitable for a while. Does any airline in the world survive on a single route, with no viable hope of expansion from their home base? IWX need a viable replacement for the RJ fleet - so far the Superjet is not LCY certified, the CRJ-900 isn't LCY capable. Im sure without a wet-lease deal for either the A221/E-190 there would be no hope of financing them. Unlike the SSJ-100, the A221 is very operationally restricted at LCY, apparently LX can only have one in a time.

Jshank83

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

A "week or two" in Aer Lingus language is more like 4-6 weeks for everyone else. August was always a bit early anyway.

That is kind of what I figured, thanks for the reply

OA260

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I think this, or something like it, has been inevitable for a while. Does any airline in the world survive on a single route, with no viable hope of expansion from their home base? IWX need a viable replacement for the RJ fleet - so far the Superjet is not LCY certified, the CRJ-900 isn't LCY capable. Im sure without a wet-lease deal for either the A221/E-190 there would be no hope of financing them. Unlike the SSJ-100, the A221 is very operationally restricted at LCY, apparently LX can only have one in a time.

Being EI branded will certainly appeal to their regular Aer Club members who want direct into the City. Having the extra benefits like lounge at DUB and TPs will all add as a carrott. Will be interesting to see the loads 6 months along the line. Also how much TATL they pick up. Wonder if it will effect BA LCY-SNN-JFK.

eirflot

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 pm

I think this is EI testing the water with regional jets- allbeit replacing an existing carrier on an existing route. I think its also an opening shot with IALPA on 100 seat jets

I think there are more interesting announcements ahead!

eirflot

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:50 pm

I think this is EI testing the water with regional jets- allbeit replacing an existing carrier on an existing route. I think its also an opening shot with IALPA on 100 seat jets

shamrock350

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Speaking of connections, I got chatting to an Aer Lingus agent at LHR last week and he said the first few morning flights to DUB were full of checked bags going onwards and there is a near constant queue at the bag drop desks these days because of it. The flight before mine had over 100 bags checked onwards to North America and almost everyone in the queue appeared to be from the US or Canada, felt rather out of place!

eirflot

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:57 pm

On AZ
Too bad they have not returned to DUB - elegant chaos!!!

KeevaOS

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:27 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Speaking of connections, I got chatting to an Aer Lingus agent at LHR last week and he said the first few morning flights to DUB were full of checked bags going onwards and there is a near constant queue at the bag drop desks these days because of it. The flight before mine had over 100 bags checked onwards to North America and almost everyone in the queue appeared to be from the US or Canada, felt rather out of place!

Those first flights in the morning aren't possible from other airports like Paris Amesterdam etc because aer lingus stopped overnighiting their fleet abroad due to airport and crew costs. I doubi it now that they will ever come back. Not in the future of 1 year at least since all the flights are availble till next August and none seems to depart that early form other airports (incld. AMS CDG FCO etc).

AmricanShamrok

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:19 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
I see many benefits to this, including:

- IAG making use of 1 or 2 extra LHR slots (from EI) for BA expansion.
- EI having a direct Business Class offering from London to the USA.

The EI LHR slots are protected under the sale agreement from the government to IAG. EI's LHR slots can't be moved around or sold until 2022.

BrianDromey

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:27 pm

KeevaOS wrote:
Those first flights in the morning aren't possible from other airports like Paris Amesterdam etc because aer lingus stopped overnighiting their fleet abroad due to airport and crew costs....

Just prior to the IAG purchase there was a plan to offer the first arrival and last departure ex Dublin to/from all key European cities. There seemed to be a plan to overnight at several European cities. In reality that’s one way to grow the European fleet. A second mini-wave could occur around 10am, if you had the first arrivals between 8 and 9, after the first departures between 6 and 8.
However that died with AerSpace after IAG took over. I’m sure it’ll be re-examined again at some point. Although there are costs there may be increased yield and network opportunities.

OA260

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Planners for Ryanair have confirmed that the airline wants to build a new six-storey office block beside its existing headquarters in Dublin in order to "consolidate and grow" its business in a "single, identifiable, high-profile location" close to Dublin Airport.

Ryanair expects 750 staff to be based at the new office, adding to the more than 840 based at the existing headquarters.

The airline, headed by CEO Michael O'Leary, recently filed plans to build the new office block beside its base in Swords, just a short distance from the airport. Ryanair had declined to comment on the plans.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryana ... 58397.html

Galwayman

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:42 pm

eirflot wrote:

I really hope you're right ... a 100 seat regional jet in EI colours could reopen lots of Scandanavia , Warsaw etc and open lots of new interesting routes , possibly another attempt at Oporto... and add capacity to key UK provincial markets

EI will have to start night stopping at key EU airports probably , if only because of overnight parking problems in DUB

eirflot

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm

WX have some interesting crew bases and an early morning arrival into DUB on some regional jets would save EI on overnights! It just might be that WX has finally grown up! Again I think some interesting times ahead

alancostello

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:37 pm

deleted

JAmie2k9

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 pm

It's an interesting development, everybody knows if BA City Flyer had the capacity they would operate DUB-LCY at a higher frequency do this should work out quiet well for both carriers.

Could BHD-LCY follow next?
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAmie2k9

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 pm

shamrock350 wrote:

LHR is there bussiest transit departure/arrival city and will only continue to grow.

mast2407

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:45 am

planemanofnz wrote:
With the new LCY service, EI will be operating up to 50x daily flights between Dublin and London. I know that this is spread across multiple airports, but would it not be worth using A330's for some of these flights? Yes, there are gate issues, but just park them remotely and bus the passengers.

I see many benefits to this, including:

- IAG making use of 1 or 2 extra LHR slots (from EI) for BA expansion.
- EI having a direct Business Class offering from London to the USA.

There would be capacity to do this, as many of the A330's arrive early in the morning at DUB from North America, but don't have scheduled departures again until after midday - a DUB - LON - DUB round-trip could easily be done in 3.5 hours with a buffer, and it would improve A330 fleet efficiency, no?

Cheers,

C.

It’s 25 ish rotations across LHR, LGW, and now LCY. Let’s not get too hysterical. LHR takes the most, which is understandable considering that it’s BA’ (IAG) country, and then it’s between LCY & LGW.

As for consolidation of flights using the A330, I don’t think that’s an option in LCY... it’s unlikely to be one in LGW where flights are timed for flexibility across the day, and similarly in the case of LHR, where flights are likely timed for connections in both directions, and then to allow for the worker and tourist commute to and from London in the morning and evening. In these instances, flexibility is key to meeting the demands of the consumer.
I’d imagine that the rotations would count towards service intervals, along with the possibility of having a 330 go tech while out of the country, and with the 330 fleet being pushed to the maximum as it is currently, short haul hops are not an ideal use of the 330’s free time. That, and I believe that the down time is used to do checks on the 330 anyways, so free time is limited.

When you lump in everything together, sure, why doesn’t EI just lease out a 380 from BA in all economy layout and stick it on the ‘London’ route twice a day, that frees up slots and aircraft. I think you’ll find, there’s a little more nuance than that.

planemanofnz

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:53 am

mast2407 wrote:
It’s 25 ish rotations ... Let’s not get too hysterical.

AFAIK, the 25 doesn't account for IAG's other rotations through BA - so, the overall number is quite a bit higher than that?

mast2407 wrote:
LHR ... flexibility is key to meeting the demands of the consumer.

How are you reducing flexibility meaningfully by consolidating two flights leaving within five minutes of each other into one?

Cheers,

C.

OA260

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 am

Dublin Airport control tower to break height record

The new control tower at Dublin Airport will be the country's highest occupied building when it is completed in two years time.

The tower is just under 87 metres tall - nearly 60% higher than Liberty Hall in the city centre.
Construction of the tower is necessary to cater for a second runway at the airport.
The tower itself is scheduled for completion in 2020, which the northern runway is due to be completed in 2021.
Construction of the tower, which dwarfs the existing control tower at the airport, is estimated to cost €50m.

www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0828/988131-dublin-airport/

--

Mini-Beatles snapped recreating famous Dublin Airport picture of Fab Four

These mini-Beatles were day trippers to Dublin Airport today, to recreate a famous picture of the Fab Four.
Iconic photo of the Beatles arriving in Dublin airport in 1963

www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-cultur ... s-13153395

---

Carlisle Airport opens new runway after delays
Move is major step towards launch of commercial flights

Bosses at the Carlisle Lake District Airport had originally planned to start passenger flights - to London, Belfast and Dublin - in June.

www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Carlisle-Air ... b038a02-ds

EI321

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am

Great to see the EI colours back in LCY and another a/c type in the fleet. This Cityjet / Aer Lingus tie up has been inevitable for a while. Only a matter of time before we see Superjets or CRJs with Shamrock tails!

BrianDromey

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 am

More changes at the smaller Irish Airlines. RE is to terminate MXP, PRG, BUD and VCE from SEN. DUB-SEN will remain and be operated by one of the E195s. No word on where the pair of 195s will be re-deployed to, an announcement will be in the coming weeks.
https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 62067.html

Some destinations won't be lost to SEN, Milan (Bergamo) and Venice will be served by Ryanair, Budapest and Prague by easyJet.
No news on the remaining E195 routes of Cologne/Bonn, Glasgow, Lyon, Manchester, Vienna, Dubrovnik (easyJet) & Zadar
Antwerp, Caen, Groningen & Rennes are ATR operated and nothing has been mentioned about them. GLA and MAN could be operated by ATRs, Stobart will have a pair of FlyBe purple ones released from IOM shortly.

eirflot

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:41 am

More regional jets for EI?
Right now anything is possible
The Ejets would look interesting in EI colours

OA260

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:57 am

eirflot wrote:

I have no doubt that on certain routes EI will bring in more of these WX type of deals to feed its TATL services in the DUBHUB. Its a very logical progression.

leghorn

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am

eirflot wrote:

Regional Jets? Why? Q400 seems like a better solution to service more regional airports in the British Isle and near Europe and if they are commiting to LCY then that takes care of that airport. Most regional jets can't get in to LCY.

shamrock350

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:07 am

No surprise to see Stobart and FlyBe part ways, it was never the most successful pairing and the E195 operation has been a disaster. I hope those particular aircraft never show up at Aer Lingus in any form!

leghorn

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

leghorn wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Regional Jets? Why? Q400 seems like a better solution to service more regional airports in the British Isle and near Europe and if they are commiting to LCY then that takes care of that airport.

eirflot

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am

Why Q400s when they have ATRs? Too many sircraft types spoil the broth!
Not sure the Ejets were ever suitable for Stobart - thought at the time It was announced that Stobart were trying too hard with Flybe!!!

tonystan

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Interesting development.

Sadly, it means the final nail in the coffin for the CityJet brand which has been part of Irish aviation for almost 25 years. It is however very good news for Aer Lingus, LCY was always a strong route for them and it'll be good to see them back. My only concern is the reliability of the Avro's, they're getting on a bit and cancellations and delays aren't exactly unheard of.

It'll also mean that this will be the first time in almost 15 years that the Aer Lingus livery will appear on the Avro!

Is it the end or just more of the same? For years the route was branded as Virgin CityJet, then it became Air France. It had a period of time as CityJet in recent years but now its rebranded once again this time Aer Lingus. However only 2 aircraft will receive the branding and a lot of the fleet will no doubt remain in CityJet colours as they move between contracts!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

leghorn

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 am

eirflot wrote:
Why Q400s when they have ATRs? Too many sircraft types spoil the broth!
Not sure the Ejets were ever suitable for Stobart - thought at the time It was announced that Stobart were trying too hard with Flybe!!!

An ATR can't efficiently serve near Europe from Dublin.

planemanofnz

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

OA260 wrote:
I have no doubt that on certain routes EI will bring in more of these WX type of deals to feed its TATL services in the DUBHUB. Its a very logical progression.

Who else were you thinking of?

Cheers,

C.

flynikiguy

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Probably reading too much into this given the timing but interesting to note:

"It's believed Stobart Air, which operates the Aer Lingus Regional service and is part of the Stobart Group, has plans to redeploy the two jets being removed from the Flybe services. An announcement could be made in coming weeks."

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 62067.html

Clydenairways

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:59 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think EI should have a few different regional carriers on their books, not just one or two. It means they can compete for the routes on offer and also it means more a range of aircraft types to optimise different routes without adding cost. Eg a couple of Q400's from Flybe for longer turboprop routes. Cityjet RJ85's , E190 from Cityflyer or Stobart .. CSeries from Air Baltic !!!
It would all need union agreement beforehand of course.

Eirules

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I think EI should have a few different regional carriers on their books, not just one or two. It means they can compete for the routes on offer and also it means more a range of aircraft types to optimise different routes without adding cost. Eg a couple of Q400's from Flybe for longer turboprop routes. Cityjet RJ85's , E190 from Cityflyer or Stobart .. CSeries from Air Baltic !!!
It would all need union agreement beforehand of course.

While I’d agree that different plane types could be advantageous to EI, numerous carriers could lead to a very inconsistent experience for the “guest”. Aer Lingus need to be careful with this
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

mast2407

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
It’s 25 ish rotations ... Let’s not get too hysterical.

AFAIK, the 25 doesn't account for IAG's other rotations through BA - so, the overall number is quite a bit higher than that?

mast2407 wrote:
LHR ... flexibility is key to meeting the demands of the consumer.

How are you reducing flexibility meaningfully by consolidating two flights leaving within five minutes of each other into one?

Cheers,

C.

It’s 30 - 35 with BA included, which I’m not sure I agree with considering that they do compete. If you suggest they don’t you might as well lump Ryanair in there too, given that they’ll be feeding some EI TATL flights next year.

I checked, and the question of flights leaving within five minutes didn’t really happen very often, it happens when you lump several carriers in together, and several airports, but when you identify one carrier and one airport, I think 20 minutes was the closest, and that happened on Wednesday’s.

Skyblue39

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 am

Per Dublin Airport Twitter, best ever July with passenger numbers up 7% to 3.3M pax for the month.

VFRonTop

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:13 pm

mast2407 wrote:
It’s 30 - 35 with BA included, which I’m not sure I agree with considering that they do compete. If you suggest they don’t you might as well lump Ryanair in there too, given that they’ll be feeding some EI TATL flights next year.

I checked, and the question of flights leaving within five minutes didn’t really happen very often, it happens when you lump several carriers in together, and several airports, but when you identify one carrier and one airport, I think 20 minutes was the closest, and that happened on Wednesday’s.

The London area airports (LHR, LGW, LCY, SEN, LTN and STN) are all pretty unique from a catchment and service perspective. There is merit on EI serving them all (directly, franchise or through codeshare) to feed DUBHUB. Hopefully the deal between EI and FR will finally come to fruition allow EI to serve all LON airports

planemanofnz

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:25 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
EI to serve all LON airports

On this, does anyone see merit in EI serving CBG? It has seen passenger flights in the past. In fact, BA through EZ launched a CBG - GOT service, aimed solely at AstraZenaca and pharma traffic. DUB is arguably a pharma hub in and of itself, as are many ports in the US, like BOS, which can be competitively accessed through DUB. How hard would it be to fill an ATR on DUB - CBG?

Cheers,

C.

BrianDromey

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
The London area airports (LHR, LGW, LCY, SEN, LTN and STN) are all pretty unique from a catchment and service perspective. There is merit on EI serving them all (directly, franchise or through codeshare) to feed DUBHUB.

DUB-LON is predominantly an O&D route. The number of connections from STN, LTN, LCY and SEN will be virtually zero. I think the importance of connecting over DUB has been overstated in the past few days. In May the DAA says that 157,000 passengers connected via DUB. 856,000 passengers flew from DUB to the UK. Even if every connecting passenger flew from the UK thats still 18% of the total.
London is the single largest market from all Irish airports, some of that is connecting traffic, but a lot is not. If it makes sense for an airline to serve an additional London airport the business case will be built on O&D. Although EI has massively grown its TransAtlantic business and connections are an important part of this, O&D is far more important and profitable than low-yield connections with higher costs.

All of that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shamrock back at SEN on a Stobart operated ATR or E195 in the near future. EI seems keen for any low-risk opportunity to grow. Nothing is lower risk than collecting a tranche fee for every passenger boarded someone else's aircraft. Im not sure that the unions would be very keen on a 118 seat jet in Aer Lingus colours. Although a president has been set with the 4 757's, I suppose.

CFNFlyer

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:25 pm

Connection traffic has traditionally been completely insignificant but its been growing exponentially in the past couple of years and is well ahead of the general growth trend (up 26% YoY last month at DUB) so it is an increasingly important factor. The O&D market to the UK & near continent is largely saturated so I'd say a lot of the thinner routes we'll potentially see in the next few years will be reliant on hoovering up transfers.

Also getting to Heathrow from Essex and East Anglia is a pain so no reason why they couldn't pick up decent transfer traffic throughout Stansted and Southend once the Ryanair deal happens

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:24 am

Our new September thread is now open:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1402839

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos