filLPA
Topic Author

Ryanair Evacuation at BCN

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 pm

A Ryanair flight bound for Ibiza from BCN had to be evacuated before take off. Someone´s external battery caught fire while charging a cell phone.

Link is only in Spanish

Video and photos in the link

https://www.lavanguardia.com/sucesos/20 ... elona.html

TC957

Re: RYANAIR Evacuation at BCN

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Did Ryanair charge extra for this ?

FredrikHAD

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 pm

TC957 wrote:
Did Ryanair charge extra for this ?

Slide ride costs extra, not stairs, but of course the bus ride back to the terminal will cost you 9.99 Euro, about half of the air ticket. Life jacket is also extra unless you inflate it manually by blowing in the tube.

/Fredrik

Erebus

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Out of curiosity, who bears the costs of such interruptions where the malfunctioning passenger device was the cause? Airline (insurance) or passenger or the device maker?

adambrau

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't know Ryanair policies but United always announces, prior to departing the gate for taxi and takeoff, as well as for arrival, to make sure all personal hand held devices are unplugged from charging.
France is in the Air

SkyflyerYYZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 am

adambrau wrote:
I don't know Ryanair policies but United always announces, prior to departing the gate for taxi and takeoff, as well as for arrival, to make sure all personal hand held devices are unplugged from charging.

Never have heard this on any flight I've been on internationally. Must be an FAA rule only?

HPAEAA

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:45 am

SkyflyerYYZ wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Never have heard this on any flight I've been on internationally. Must be an FAA rule only?

I've not heard it on other US Carriers, might be a UA specific policy.
1.4mm and counting...

Waterbomber

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:51 am

Actually this is an accident waiting to happen.
This time, it happened in the cabin and the aircraft was on the ground.
But Ryanair's new hand luggage policy forces a lot of hand luggage to be gate-checked resulting in sending li-ion devices into the luggage compartment that is not accessible during the flight. The gate agents responsible for tagging the hand luggage do not ask about batteries at all.
Plus, checked luggage is x-rayed to find li-ion devices. Hand luggage is x-rayed but it's assumed that they will go into the cabin.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

shamrock350

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 am

I know it’s not a laughing matter and luckily this incident wasn’t too serious but seeing passengers pile up at the end of the slide and roll over each other was slightly comical. The 737 nose being so low to the ground makes it less of a slide and more of an inflatable walkway!

I’ve actually heard Ryanair crew refer to charging devices being prohibited from use on board, it was only once or twice so it doesn’t appear to be company wide policy.

Wizz Air tend to actually enforce a similar rule, I’ve seen a member of cabin crew ask someone to disconnect their portable charger from their iPhone before take off. An announcement is usually made after the main safety demo.

32andBelow

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Erebus wrote:
Out of curiosity, who bears the costs of such interruptions where the malfunctioning passenger device was the cause? Airline (insurance) or passenger or the device maker?

Are you serious? Of course the airlines insurance. You think the pax is gonna buy a 737? I guess the airlines insurance could to sue someone is there’s cause

jrfspa320

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 am

shamrock350 wrote:
I know it’s not a laughing matter and luckily this incident wasn’t too serious but seeing passengers pile up at the end of the slide and roll over each other was slightly comical. The 737 nose being so low to the ground makes it less of a slide and more of an inflatable walkway!

I’ve actually heard Ryanair crew refer to charging devices being prohibited from use on board, it was only once or twice so it doesn’t appear to be company wide policy.

Wizz Air tend to actually enforce a similar rule, I’ve seen a member of cabin crew ask someone to disconnect their portable charger from their iPhone before take off. An announcement is usually made after the main safety demo.

Agreed, i couldn't help but laugh at that video! Almost piled up to the top of the slide!

Begs the question if passengers sitting in the first row should be briefed to assist passengers up from the slide in the event of an evac, didn't look very efficient with only 1 official helping

a320fan

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 am

Something is triggering in my memory about hearing a removing devices from charge announcement on an EU carrier. Can’t recall if it was Ryanair, EasyJet or AirBerlin.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Erebus

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 am

32andBelow wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Erebus wrote:

Are you serious? Of course the airlines insurance. You think the pax is gonna buy a 737? I guess the airlines insurance could to sue someone is there’s cause

I was talking about costs associated with diversions, granted this was still on the ground, and not burning down a 737. I've read up some situations where airlines sued passengers for the costs. Just wondered if this scenario would fall along those lines.

Newbiepilot

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:52 am

Erebus wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Erebus wrote:

I was talking about costs associated with diversions, granted this was still on the ground, and not burning down a 737. I've read up some situations where airlines sued passengers for the costs. Just wondered if this scenario would fall along those lines.

Operational costs usually aren’t covered by insurance. Diversions, cancellations, etc are paid by the airline. Insurance will cover the damage if above the deductible. Most airlines have deductibles around $500K, so unless the damage was extensive, Ryanair probably pays the whole bill.

N14AZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Agreed, i couldn't help but laugh at that video! Almost piled up to the top of the slide!

There is something in the middle of the slide. Is anyone able to say what it is?

Also, look at the lady in short black dress who leaves the slide at about 31 seconds in that video. She looks as if her ride became very hot...

ro1960

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:13 am

Can someone translate what the guy filming is saying? I'm pretty sure this will add to the comical effect.

I hear "Ryanair, lo que toca" then later "Vueling es mejor" (Vueling is better).
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

armadillomaster

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am

The scenes in that video are normally seen at Alicante when happy hour is still on, in Benidorm. :D

N14AZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 am

ro1960 wrote:
Can someone translate what the guy filming is saying? I'm pretty sure this will add to the comical effect.

I hear "Ryanair, lo que toca" then later "Vueling es mejor" (Vueling is better).

I asked myself the same question but my personal assessment is that he is just a bloke who is using the opportunity to get more attention in the social media by pretending he just became an expert in aircraft evacuation.. what’s the point in turning the camera to show your face when commenting the situation ( the song „you‘re so vain“ comes to my mind...).

FatCat

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 am

SkyflyerYYZ wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Heard the announcement on LHGroup flights for sure, IIRC also on China Southern / Air China
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

ro1960

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 am

N14AZ wrote:
I asked myself the same question but my personal assessment is that he is just a bloke who is using the opportunity to get more attention in the social media by pretending he just became an expert in aircraft evacuation.. what’s the point in turning the camera to show your face when commenting the situation ( the song „you‘re so vain“ comes to my mind...).

I take you don't understand Spanish. Where do you get that he's posing as an aircraft evac expert? He's just commenting the situation maybe with some smart ass remarks.
Regardless of his intention it'd be interesting to get the full translation.

N14AZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:00 am

ro1960 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

I take you don't understand Spanish. Where do you get that he's posing as an aircraft evac expert? He's just commenting the situation maybe with some smart ass remarks.

I thought he is commenting on the evacuation process or the airlines in general because of the few words you translated (Vueling better than Ryanair). I might be completely wrong, of course.

But I forgot an even more important point: if he is so smart, why doesn’t he help instead of filming?
If he would have filmed me or my wife or my children, this evacuation would have ended with one casualty, i.e. with one guy w/o teeth.... :wave:

ro1960

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:21 pm

N14AZ wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

I thought he is commenting on the evacuation process or the airlines in general because of the few words you translated (Vueling better than Ryanair). I might be completely wrong, of course.

But I forgot an even more important point: if he is so smart, why doesn’t he help instead of filming?
If he would have filmed me or my wife or my children, this evacuation would have ended with one casualty, i.e. with one guy w/o teeth.... :wave:

The kind of exemplary post: non-judgemental and mature :thumbsup:

N14AZ

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:44 pm

ro1960 wrote:

Oh good lord. This is a) a discussion forum, b) the silly season where there are hardly any real news to discuss. So I am not sure why you see the need to defend this bloke.
Right now there are huge discussions about gazers not helping people but taking videos of victims and this young man reminded me of this phenomenon. That’s all…

ro1960

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:06 pm

N14AZ wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

Oh good lord. This is a) a discussion forum, b) the silly season where there are hardly any real news to discuss. So I am not sure why you see the need to defend this bloke.
Right now there are huge discussions about gazers not helping people but taking videos of victims and this young man reminded me of this phenomenon. That’s all…

I'm not defending this bloke. I'm just saying there are not enough elements to accuse him which is what you are doing (the judgemental part).

Redwood839

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

N14AZ wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

Aren't you actually told to get away from the aircraft during an evacuation? I swear a crew member jumped out first and helped at the bottom. Obviously instinct is to help out but I'm sure that's the instruction.

Either way, I doubt many of these folk knew what was going on unless they were in close contact with the fire, they probably heard 'evacuate evacuate evacuate', got scared and made a run for it. For how much many people know about aviation or flying, a good % probably thought the entire plane was going to blow up.
Last edited by Redwood839 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mabadia71

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 pm

ro1960 wrote:

Literal translation is "Ryanair, what you get" and "Vueling is better", thou is not so much the words but the tone. It felt as a way of saying "if you pay Ryanair this is what you're going to get"
mabadia71

ro1960

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:30 pm

mabadia71 wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

Literal translation is "Ryanair, what you get" and "Vueling is better", thou is not so much the words but the tone. It felt as a way of saying "if you pay Ryanair this is what you're going to get"

Gracias!

Fiend

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm

And yet again passengers evacuating carrying bags!!!
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

JBoy

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:43 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
SkyflyerYYZ wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Alaska announces it.

ual763

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 pm

adambrau wrote:

I don’t ever remember hearing this. At least not put like that. In my experience, it has always been “make sure your portable electronic devices are turned off and stowed for departure at this time.” But then again, I don’t normally listen to it very closely anyways.
From flying to the NOTAM office

rbavfan

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
SkyflyerYYZ wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Probably just one FA noted it. Have not heard of a charging limit during T-O

PatrickZ80

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm

mabadia71 wrote:

True, but in this case Ryanair is not to blame. It happened on Ryanair, it could have happened anywhere. It could have happened on Vueling too.

Most people don't pay attention to what is being said during the safety demonstration anyway. You can say people not allowed to charge their phones on board, but they still do. Mostly nothing happens, but it's still a risk. Something could happen and in this case it did.

adambrau

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:30 pm

rbavfan wrote:
HPAEAA wrote:
SkyflyerYYZ wrote:

No it's on every UA flight.
France is in the Air

alasizon

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:56 pm

adambrau wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
HPAEAA wrote:

No it's on every UA flight.

Its not so much an issue with it being a charging piece, rather than there are cords and taxi/TO are most likely times for an evac so to prevent people from getting caught and tangled in cords inhibiting the evac, having anything plugged in is prohibited. AA makes a similar announcement on planes with in-seat power.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

shamrock350

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

I think it’s pretty obvious the guy recording himself is just poking fun at the situation and Ryanair’s, ‘you get what you pay for’ mantra. It’s not to be taken seriously.

Ryanair has spent decades feeding off the publicity that comes with being the cheapest airline the sky and its reputation for charging for almost anything. Ryanair’s own management have encourage it with O’Leary suggesting that use of the toilets should be charged, that standing room only flight were of interest and that pilots were glorified bus drivers who were lucky to still have jobs.

So when Ryanair is in a situation that any other airline could also be in, Ryanair automatically gets the extra attention due to its self inflicted reputation as cheap as chips airline. It comes with the territory.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos