doulasc
Topic Author

Airline service to Portsmouth Ohio

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:33 am

Portsmouth Ohio opened a new airport in 1957 near Minford ohio and Lake Central Airlines started service to the Ohio River town.In 1968
Allegheny Airlines bought Lake central and Allegheny served PHM until 1971 with only two flights to CVG. I am hearing that today a Hotel is being built at
PHM and plans are being made to extend the runway to accomodate full size jets.Someone said of Facebook Allegiant may come to PHM.Do you see a market
at PHM for commercial airline service.

rajincajun01

Re: Airline service to Portsmouth Ohio

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 am

No.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

TYSflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 am

Seems unlikely especially with HTS that already has G4 just about 50 miles away. Further CVG and CMH are also an easy drive nearby.

FA9295

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:48 am

Maybe UA to ORD, but that's about it...

admanager

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:17 am

Air travel has changed since Lake Central flew DC-3's. Portsmouth has lost over half it's population since 1940 and for the 20,000 people left, the average household income is much below the national average. I imagine it's a pleasant town, but it's unlikely to show up on an airline timetable anytime soon. Thanks for the thread, it;s nice to have a reason to read about a place I'm not familiar with. Maybe Allegiant will prove me wrong.

SkyVoice

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:02 am

For a glance of Allegheny Airlines' service to Portsmouth (PHM), check out the following link: http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/us/al69/al69-15.jpg
By that time, Allegheny (AL) had purchased Lake Central, and AL was flying Lake Central's old Nord 262s into PHM, with flights to CVG and Parkersburg, West Virginia (PKB). BTW, I was surprised to learn that you could fly from Portsmouth to LaGuardia all the way on Allegheny by making a connection at PKB!

Doulasc, I appreciate your inquiry, but I have to agree with the other posters. As much as us ANetters would like to conjure up scheduled airline service at aerodromes near us that have long since been without, the airline industry is not a "field of dreams" (Build it and [they] will come). Owensboro, Kentucky has found that out. With a population in their catchment area half-again as large as Portsmouth's, OWB has had a devil of a time just getting and keeping EAS service. I wish the Scioto County Airport Authority and the hotel's investors well, but I wouldn't expect anything more than the occasional charter flight.
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

doulasc
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
For a glance of Allegheny Airlines' service to Portsmouth (PHM), check out the following link: http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/us/al69/al69-15.jpg
By that time, Allegheny (AL) had purchased Lake Central, and AL was flying Lake Central's old Nord 262s into PHM, with flights to CVG and Parkersburg, West Virginia (PKB). BTW, I was surprised to learn that you could fly from Portsmouth to LaGuardia all the way on Allegheny by making a connection at PKB!

Doulasc, I appreciate your inquiry, but I have to agree with the other posters. As much as us ANetters would like to conjure up scheduled airline service at aerodromes near us that have long since been without, the airline industry is not a "field of dreams" (Build it and [they] will come). Owensboro, Kentucky has found that out. With a population in their catchment area half-again as large as Portsmouth's, OWB has had a devil of a time just getting and keeping EAS service. I wish the Scioto County Airport Authority and the hotel's investors well, but I wouldn't expect anything more than the occasional charter flight.

I was looking at some photos of allegheny's Nord 262 and I saw that they painted them different from the rest of their planes they were painted in a brown and maroon colored paint job which later was used on Allegheny commuter and not the traditional red and blue logo

N766UA

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:14 pm

I grew up in Ohio and have never heard of Portsmouth, Ohio... so I’m gonna say no.

evank516

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:25 pm

If Youngstown can't hold service, I'm going to guess Portsmouth can't either. I didn't even know there was a Portsmouth in Ohio.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 pm

EK will start non-stop DXB service any day now. Every Podunk airport doesn’t deserve airline service to the world, that’s why God invented the private plane.

GF

TUSDawg23

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm

doulasc I am sorry for all the sarcastic posts on here. I enjoy discussing the feasibility of air service to various communities and I don't see why people need to be so rude in commenting on your post.

To answer your question, I don't think Portsmouth is an ideal location to start air service. It doesn't have a strong economy or large enough population to warrant its own service and its proximity to CMH and CVG provide plenty of options to folks. G4 also has a focus city at CVG so I don't see why they would want to start service at Portsmouth when they continue building up at CVG.

Dominion301

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:30 pm

TUSDawg23 wrote:
doulasc I am sorry for all the sarcastic posts on here. I enjoy discussing the feasibility of air service to various communities and I don't see why people need to be so rude in commenting on your post.

To answer your question, I don't think Portsmouth is an ideal location to start air service. It doesn't have a strong economy or large enough population to warrant its own service and its proximity to CMH and CVG provide plenty of options to folks. G4 also has a focus city at CVG so I don't see why they would want to start service at Portsmouth when they continue building up at CVG.

I agree with you. A serious question was asked with sarcastic answers.

Unfortunately the odds of a place in Ohio that is much small that Youngstown, which itself can't maintain any sort of schedule air service, are not very good I'm afraid.

evank516

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:34 pm

evank516 wrote:
If Youngstown can't hold service, I'm going to guess Portsmouth can't either. I didn't even know there was a Portsmouth in Ohio.

TUSDawg23 wrote:

For the record, my post wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I apologize if it came across that way. However, Youngstown, OH recently lost all air service because it was unsustainable, and this really is the first time I even knew of a Portsmouth, OH. Unfortunately with deregulation, many small airports lost all air service, and it seems that Portsmouth is too close to a major airport to be eligible for EAS subsidies. Also, with a 5,001 foot runway, the options would be very limited.

zakuivcustom

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Personal take - if (relatively) nearby (It's less than 60mi away, not exactly a large distance) HTS can barely sustain much commercial services (Mostly G4, with 3x daily RJs to CLT on AA) being a fairly larger metro area (Still not that big, ok, at ~240k), I just don't see how PHM can. Not much outer catchment area at PHM other than the town of Portsmouth itself, either.

SkyVoice wrote:

Slightly off topic, I personally can't understand how in the world OWB still get EAS money, when EVV is not even that far away, with easy 1 stop connection to pretty much anywhere that doesn't required huge backtrack.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

ibthebigd

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:57 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Personal take - if (relatively) nearby (It's less than 60mi away, not exactly a large distance) HTS can barely sustain much commercial services (Mostly G4, with 3x daily RJs to CLT on AA) being a fairly larger metro area (Still not that big, ok, at ~240k), I just don't see how PHM can. Not much outer catchment area at PHM other than the town of Portsmouth itself, either.

SkyVoice wrote:

Slightly off topic, I personally can't understand how in the world OWB still get EAS money, when EVV is not even that far away, with easy 1 stop connection to pretty much anywhere that doesn't required huge backtrack.
That EAS money could go to Pikeville Ky which is a perfect example of what the EAS is for

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

plinth857

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:57 pm

evank516 wrote:

I do agree that Portsmouth is unlikely to get service in this type of air travel climate.

Youngstown had some challenges inasmuch as it is 75 miles to CLE or PIT and 63 miles to CAK, so despite a halfway decent sized population area, there are too many other alternatives that have well established air travel solutions. Portsmouth is at least 100 miles or more to CMH and CVG.

cheapgreek

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 pm

doulasc wrote:
Portsmouth Ohio opened a new airport in 1957 near Minford ohio and Lake Central Airlines started service to the Ohio River town.In 1968
Allegheny Airlines bought Lake central and Allegheny served PHM until 1971 with only two flights to CVG. I am hearing that today a Hotel is being built at
PHM and plans are being made to extend the runway to accomodate full size jets.Someone said of Facebook Allegiant may come to PHM.Do you see a market
at PHM for commercial airline service.

The airport code is PMH.

evank516

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm

plinth857 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I do agree that Portsmouth is unlikely to get service in this type of air travel climate.

Youngstown had some challenges inasmuch as it is 75 miles to CLE or PIT and 63 miles to CAK, so despite a halfway decent sized population area, there are too many other alternatives that have well established air travel solutions. Portsmouth is at least 100 miles or more to CMH and CVG.

Yes, however it is 50 miles from HTS which offers daily service on AA to CLT which allows for onward connections. In addition G4 offers flights to SFB, PGD, PIE, with seasonal service to MYR. So they're not overly far from an airport with commercial air service. I'm willing to bet that HTS probably relies on people from Portsmouth to fill its planes.

In addition, we must also note that the sole runway at PMH is 5,001 feet long by 100 feet wide. While the width is doable, PMH is very limited on the types of aircraft it would be able to accommodate due to the short runway. A 50 seat regional jet will have trouble on that short of a runway and a 70 seat regional jet (CRJ-700) would perform better but it is probably too much plane for the market. With AA's elimination of the DH8s there is no major airline with prop aircraft that could serve the area either.

doulasc
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:31 pm

TUSDawg23 wrote:

don't worry about being sarcastic I'm used to it now I've done research on airline service to Marion Ohio Zanesville Ohio and now Portsmouth Ohio which ad Airline service from 1957 to 1971 Lake Central started service there when the new airport open in 1957 Allegheny Airlines pulled out in 1971 all that was left or two flights to Cincinnati and someone said they operated the Nord 262 on that route

Q

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:20 pm

It's very interesting article about how small town flying airlines in the past! I never knew Portsmouth, Ohio flights serve there.

Q

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos