Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

undertheradar

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:30 am

qf2220 wrote:
All in all a very uneventful results release. QF look to have changed their hype strategy around these, this time at least.

so EVERY results release QF must announce what????

Only appears that YOUR expectations do not meet YOUR expectations..

Cant wait for your 'critique'/expectations of VA results ...or for that matter ANY other businesses results ;) :lol:

openskies88

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 am

QF754 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Qf648 wrote:

Was singapore flying the 340 out of ADL. Was my first flight on a jet. QF used a 330 on Syd-adl-sin-adl-syd. Its is why QF will not do international out of Adelaide. The market is too small, and its easier to fly though MEL or SYD if you want to fly on QF metal.

SQ retired their A343’s by 2003, I think they did fly to ADL at some point? Certainly not 2006 though although there were by then A345’s in the fleet, those certainly didn’t go to ADL though.

99% sure that SQ have never routinely flown A343s or A345s to ADL. It was 772s for the whole of the 2000s, until replaced by the current A330.

Going by images in the database, looks like SQ may have only flown A340-300s to ADL spanning 2000 (there are several images there from April to October of that year).

As you say, beyond that it was 772s.

qf2220

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:06 am

undertheradar wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
All in all a very uneventful results release. QF look to have changed their hype strategy around these, this time at least.

so EVERY results release QF must announce what????

Only appears that YOUR expectations do not meet YOUR expectations..

Cant wait for your 'critique'/expectations of VA results ...or for that matter ANY other businesses results ;) :lol:

I think youve totally misinterpreted my sentiment. I dont mind that these announcements are somewhat of a non-event and dont expect anything from them. It doesnt phase me one way or the other. Im just noting that compared to previous ones where significant aircraft purchases etc have been announced, this one is very results focussed in comparison. I dont think they need to announce anything, just interested that they seem to have de-hyped the results announcement. I think this indicates the focus that Joyce et al have brought to the company which i think was used more of a stage show under the Dixon/Gregg et al management regime. One that I think is far more professional and less individual centric, which I like.

Re other comments, yes agreed, potatoes, onions, and [a vegetable metaphor for ScoMo needs to be found and inserted here], are the message of today for sure. Though QF couldn't have known this even a week ago when planning this :). (for international readers who dont know, our government is about to change a leader and it is dominating all media chanels at the moment. We have a bit of a messy political environment which may be confused for an Italian one if you didnt know what you were looking at :( )

smi0006

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:35 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas announces major lounge investment program

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... t-program/

Still no update on Melbourne international lounge, next to AKL the worse in the network. I imagine this indicates they want a new location, and won’t accept the windowless dungeon from APAM. Better to have a long term solution with a better location!

Interesting to see what refurbished means...

planemanofnz

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:50 am

MU is boosting its seasonal service to CNS, but still no update on trial flights to PER yet.

See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... s-in-nw18/.

Cheers,

C.

QF742

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:25 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Still no update on Melbourne international lounge, next to AKL the worse in the network. I imagine this indicates they want a new location, and won’t accept the windowless dungeon from APAM. Better to have a long term solution with a better location!

I was also surprised to see that MEL was not announced as part of these lounge upgrades. I used the international lounge in July and it really needs an upgrade. I hope you are right and that they are holding off for a better position in the terminal!

getluv

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 am

QF742 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I was also surprised to see that MEL was not announced as part of these lounge upgrades. I used the international lounge in July and it really needs an upgrade. I hope you are right and that they are holding off for a better position in the terminal!

If T1 is going to have swing gates for both domestic and international operations, my guess is can afford to put this on the back burner.
Last edited by getluv on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm that bad type.

tullamarine

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The problem is there is no obvious alternative space in the current terminal. The next announced updates to T2 at MEL all revolve around the Arrivals Hall. Eventually this will increase the size of the terminal but from a Departures point of view all of the growth will be landside. The Master Plan has T2 growing airside on both sides linking what will become swing gates in T1 and T3. Obviously, it is possible that there will be space for lounges on top of these additions but the earliest date for the completion of these is extensions is 2023.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Pcoder

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 am

QF742 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Yeah the Melbourne dungeon is in dire need for an upgrade, but maybe with more expansion at Melbourne international being planned they don't want to spend money on an update to then move in a couple of years time.

They maybe could have mentioned if they were in discussions with Melbourne airport.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:46 am

Speaking of lounges Qantas will open all new domestic lounge at MEL tomorrow

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-all-new ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 am

Pcoder wrote:

Yeah the Melbourne dungeon is in dire need for an upgrade, but maybe with more expansion at Melbourne international being planned they don't want to spend money on an update to then move in a couple of years time.

They maybe could have mentioned if they were in discussions with Melbourne airport.

If NZ was as able to get an lounge with windows even if the veiw is of the service lane surely QF could?

a19901213

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:52 am

Pcoder wrote:
QF742 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Pure guessing, I think QF will let same team who’s refurbishing SYD do MEL after upgrade done in SYD.

But again that will take probably another two years before we see a brand new lounge in MEL....

kriskim

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:59 am

zkncj wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

If NZ was as able to get an lounge with windows even if the veiw is of the service lane surely QF could?

I think that QF should have taken the old Emirates Lounge space next to the QF First lounge, its such a waste having the Marhaba Lounge there, that lounge seems to be lacking soul and a welcoming feeling, the only nice thing about it is the Hudsons Coffee bar.
Last edited by kriskim on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world built upon connectivity.

kriskim

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:00 am

double post please delete
A world built upon connectivity.

moa999

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:21 am

Issue in Melbourne is still space. Neither the NZ or EK/Marhaba space would be big enough for a Mel J lounge.

As Cathay shows with its Pier lounge, with good interior design you can make a dungeon appealing.
Possibly even put in some video windows with live exterior views.

smi0006

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:23 am

kriskim wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Pcoder wrote:

I think that QF should have taken the old Emirates Lounge space next to the QF First lounge, its such a waste having the Marhaba Lounge there, that lounge seems to be lacking soul and a welcoming feeling, the only nice thing about it is the Hudsons Coffee bar.

Agreed- I’m no structural engineer, is there any possibility to simply expand on the roofing space to the other side of the EK,EY, QF F, or Marhaba lounge? Always an option but at what cost? I suspect APAM rent is very much out of line with reality and is also a key driver for the location.

NZ just expanded their old lounge, their lounge has been in the same location for years.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:14 am

AJ says PER-LHR is performing way above expectations with LF at 92% across all classes and 94% in premium classes and is the most profitable route for QF

PER-CDG is expected to be announced in first quarter of next year

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... y-records/
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:27 am

Qantas says both Airbus and Boeing can meet Project Sunrise challenge, order to be finalised next year with first delivery 2022

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/boe ... don-dream/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qant ... SKCN1L80MC
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 am

Qantas evaluating narrowbody replacement including A321XLR vs NMA, A321LR vs 737MAX and A220 vs E2

https://twitter.com/rschuur_aero/status ... 79680?s=21
Forum Moderator

CraigAnderson

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:33 am

Qantas rules out A350-900ULR for Project Sunrise for being too small (in terms of pax capacity), now the contest is between the A350-1000ULR and the Boeing 777-8.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-rules-o ... ource=hero

SYDSpotter

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Kathmandu is currently Sydney’s largest unserved market globally, with 93,000 people travelling to / from the Nepalese city and Sydney a year, with Nepal being Australia’s third-largest source of foreign students after China and India.

Sydney Airport has called for ASA negotiations to unlock markets like Nepal (there is currently no air services agreement between Australia and Nepal). Fiji, Hong Kong and Qatar were cited as other examples of markets needing work done.

I can't see Australia or Nepal having any issue with negotiating an ASA, so here's hoping it's done soon, and that RA can launch KTM - SYD with 332's soon. RA would be the carrier to do it - too low-yielding for QF and too long for JQ.

See: http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... ck-demand/.

Cheers,

C.

SYD-KTM isn't going to happen anytime soon. The traffic is composed of students (VFR) and tourists, with there being a very distinct low and high season for trekking in Nepal. Nepal airlines (and Nepalese airlines in general) are poorly run and have a very poor safety record - RA is banned from flying to the EU, so I don't like their chances of being allowed to fly here.

The market is currently adequately served via one stops in SIN/KUL/HKG/BKK.

A SYD-KTM sector is 6000 miles or circa 11.5hr to 12hr flight time. RA (or anyone else) flying a medium-long haul sector like that on low yielding traffic, I don't think so !!! Nothing but hot air from SYD Airport...
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

cam747

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:20 am

QF754 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Qf648 wrote:

Was singapore flying the 340 out of ADL. Was my first flight on a jet. QF used a 330 on Syd-adl-sin-adl-syd. Its is why QF will not do international out of Adelaide. The market is too small, and its easier to fly though MEL or SYD if you want to fly on QF metal.

SQ retired their A343’s by 2003, I think they did fly to ADL at some point? Certainly not 2006 though although there were by then A345’s in the fleet, those certainly didn’t go to ADL though.

99% sure that SQ have never routinely flown A343s or A345s to ADL. It was 772s for the whole of the 2000s, until replaced by the current A330.

Not correct. SQ's ADL service back in the early 2000's was 5x weekly and was a scheduled A343. I flew it a couple of times.

zkncj

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:55 pm

qf789 wrote:
Qantas evaluating narrowbody replacement including A321XLR vs NMA, A321LR vs 737MAX and A220 vs E2

JQ's 5x Q300s are proudly displayed - do wonder what QF's future plans are for this fleet as the Q300s start to age...

MooLor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Kathmandu is currently Sydney’s largest unserved market globally, with 93,000 people travelling to / from the Nepalese city and Sydney a year, with Nepal being Australia’s third-largest source of foreign students after China and India.

Sydney Airport has called for ASA negotiations to unlock markets like Nepal (there is currently no air services agreement between Australia and Nepal). Fiji, Hong Kong and Qatar were cited as other examples of markets needing work done.

I can't see Australia or Nepal having any issue with negotiating an ASA, so here's hoping it's done soon, and that RA can launch KTM - SYD with 332's soon. RA would be the carrier to do it - too low-yielding for QF and too long for JQ.

See: http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... ck-demand/.

Cheers,

C.

SYD-KTM isn't going to happen anytime soon. The traffic is composed of students (VFR) and tourists, with there being a very distinct low and high season for trekking in Nepal. Nepal airlines (and Nepalese airlines in general) are poorly run and have a very poor safety record - RA is banned from flying to the EU, so I don't like their chances of being allowed to fly here.

The market is currently adequately served via one stops in SIN/KUL/HKG/BKK.

A SYD-KTM sector is 6000 miles or circa 11.5hr to 12hr flight time. RA (or anyone else) flying a medium-long haul sector like that on low yielding traffic, I don't think so !!! Nothing but hot air from SYD Airport...

Anecdotal, but the Nepalese students I know of tend to fly CZ via CAN - they are price-conscious as you say, I'd imagine whichever airline happens to have a special fare available gets their custom.

A Buddhist "pilgrimage" to Buddha's birthplace at Lumbini is a growing thing. Lumbini is 150km or so west of KTM; getting there involves a domestic hop, with Buddha airlines and Yeti Airlines the two leading contenders would you believe. I believe 'Buddhist' now shows up as a % on the census, so there might be a small market there. I have no idea whether a person on a pilgrimage prefers a direct flight to KTM, but with that domestic hop thru the Himalayas on 'Yeti Airlines' ahead of you I suspect the International leg is the least of your worries. :D

RA's safety record - sounds not good. I wonder how some of our airlines would fare with a home base in the Himalayas though. Skytrax have them as a two-star airline, less than JQ's three-stars. Says it all I suppose.

"Nothing but hot air from SYD Airport..." Haha, I am not a Sydney native but have always enjoyed the "slag 'em off when they deserve it" attitude here. More constructive than the alternative IMO.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 am

Chicago is next on the list for QF while SEA remains Plan B, though ORD is dependent on the JV with AA being approved

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plans-n ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:50 am

travelhound wrote:
With VA transferring aircraft from the domestic to trans-Tasman market, we could even be seeing a decline in aircraft capacity.

VA is not transferring aircraft to Trans-Tasman, the new services added come primarily from existing NZ routes being reduced. VA will be adding more capacity in one area of the domestic market shortly
Forum Moderator

MooLor

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas says both Airbus and Boeing can meet Project Sunrise challenge, order to be finalised next year with first delivery 2022

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/boe ... don-dream/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qant ... SKCN1L80MC

Your links didn't work - must have changed. Found them here:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qantas-results-airbus/qantas-eyes-larger-airbus-a350-jet-for-sydney-london-flights-ceo-idUSKCN1L80MC
https://www.airlineratings.com/news/boeing-airbus-meet-qantas-sydney-london-dream/

Although the Airline Ratings article, dated yesterday, seems to still allude to the A359. So maybe I have not found the correct article.

Anyway, from Reuters:
Australia’s Qantas Airways Ltd is considering a larger version of the Airbus SE A350 as the European jetmaker and Boeing Co vie to connect Sydney and London in a non-stop 20-hour flight by 2022, the airline’s CEO said.

Qantas had been eyeing the A350-900ULR that rival Singapore Airlines Ltd will use to relaunch flights from Singapore to New York this year. It is still considering the Boeing 777-8, which has a higher seating capacity.

AJ seems to be talking up the A350, but looking at the 'fleet' chart you already posted, and knowing QF's history, can anyone really see them going for Airbus? If Airbus can configure it to fly that far, A350-1000 seems a clear winner as an all-rounder, but still...

Of course as they are saying in the media, 777-9 must be a favourite to replace the A380 one day, and that will also be in the 777-8 '+' column for project sunrise.

a19901213

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:21 am

qf789 wrote:
Chicago is next on the list for QF while SEA remains Plan B, though ORD is dependent on the JV with AA being approved

SEA will be from BNE if they start the route. Make sense since the aircrafts utilized will be based in BNE.
But I always thought SYD would make it more profitable.

smi0006

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:40 am

qf789 wrote:

Sounds like ORD is good to go as soon as JV is approved by DOT, interesting if it’s from SYD or BNE. I’d imagine the 789 will be yanked straight off HKG at that point.

smi0006

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:47 am

qf789 wrote:

Interesting around the 717/F100 what are they indicating? I don’t understand the diagram. No indication on the 738 fleet either.

I do wonder with project sunrise being ULR, if a fleet type would slip in above the 789 for high capacity routes- LA, HND,HKG, is is best to order the non-ULR version of the A350-1000, or simply abuse the ULR version on these routes? The 779 doesn’t come in a non-ULR version so ‘abuse’ is only option.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:49 am

Qantas workers not happy with $2500 bonus as it comes with conditions

https://twitter.com/jamie_freed/status/ ... 58688?s=21
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:57 am

Philippine Airlines reverses increases to SYD and BNE

https://twitter.com/airlineroute/status ... 19872?s=21
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Interesting around the 717/F100 what are they indicating? I don’t understand the diagram. No indication on the 738 fleet either.

I do wonder with project sunrise being ULR, if a fleet type would slip in above the 789 for high capacity routes- LA, HND,HKG, is is best to order the non-ULR version of the A350-1000, or simply abuse the ULR version on these routes? The 779 doesn’t come in a non-ULR version so ‘abuse’ is only option.

To me the biggest missing box is what is going to happen with the rest of the 787 order??? A simple read of this graphic suggests that there are no more coming.

moa999

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:45 am

Options not orders. I think Qantas has flagged that they no longer see the 787 as suitable for domestic ops (hence the 797 box)

350-1000 also has the advantage of a simple transition for current 330 pilots.

XAM2175

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:40 am

smi0006 wrote:

I'm reading it as there being now firm plans but that the A220 and Embraer E2-series are under consideration for that segment, and the 737 MAX is shown as being studied elsewhere too.

moa999

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 am

It was a bit weird putting the 787 below the 320s

TN486

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:22 am

To change the flavour from the future to the past for a fleeting moment I was browsing through some of my TN (TAA) timetables over coffee today and noticed they utilised the A300 on a pure freight flight MEL - PER - SYD as follows:
TN 2240 MEL - PER 2245 - 0030 (Wed)
TN 2245 PER - SYD 0115 - 0710 (Thu)
I have no record of when it commenced but it ceased on 6 Aug 1982. Learn something new every day!!
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

TasFlyer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:38 am

qf789 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
With VA transferring aircraft from the domestic to trans-Tasman market, we could even be seeing a decline in aircraft capacity.

VA is not transferring aircraft to Trans-Tasman, the new services added come primarily from existing NZ routes being reduced. VA will be adding more capacity in one area of the domestic market shortly

Interesting. What do you mean by area; port, new base, market e.g. business, leisure, mining?

tullamarine

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:42 am

TN486 wrote:
To change the flavour from the future to the past for a fleeting moment I was browsing through some of my TN (TAA) timetables over coffee today and noticed they utilised the A300 on a pure freight flight MEL - PER - SYD as follows:
I have no record of when it commenced but it ceased on 6 Aug 1982. Learn something new every day!!

In 1982, the A330 was the only domestic plane that offered containerised freight. There would've been plenty of freight business of larger items available and no passengers or luggage would've meant significant weight could've been carried.below deck.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

zkncj

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:55 am

TasFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:
travelhound wrote:

Interesting. What do you mean by area; port, new base, market e.g. business, leisure, mining?

VA this year lost the rights to operate AKL-APW, which think used to be daily?

Anyway that would be free'ing up some capacity ex-AKL

TN486

Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 am

tullamarine wrote:
TN486 wrote:

In 1982, the A330 was the only domestic plane that offered containerised freight. There would've been plenty of freight business of larger items available and no passengers or luggage would've meant significant weight could've been carried.below deck.

TN flew the A300, not the A330. The A330 came later with QF.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

Qantas16

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 am

Malindo Air in the first quarter of 2019 is reducing Kuala Lumpur – Denpasar – Brisbane route on temporary basis, as the airline scheduled 4 weekly flights instead of 7. Service reduction is in effect from 02FEB19 to 30MAR19.

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... y-changes/

Makes sense - it's low season and they are up against a daily JQ 787 + 7-10x weekly VA flights...

eta unknown

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am

During that time period I've seen a lot of add hoc JQ & VA BNE-DPS cancellations over the years, so no surprise.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 am

Delta to use reconfigured 77L to SYD from 16 April 19

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 3116333056
Forum Moderator

Ryanair01

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 am

qf789 wrote:

The new Delta One Suite with a door looks remarkable, makes the QF A380 Skybed look poor and probably out guns the Sky Suite too.

747m8te

Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:24 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

The new Delta One Suite with a door looks remarkable, makes the QF A380 Skybed look poor and probably out guns the Sky Suite too.

It looks flash...but I found it a bit on the small/tight and confined side. I'd take the openness and space of the Skybed MKII any day personally for comfort (albeit lack of work space/privacy), but yes in looks and wow factor it beats the skybed for sure! However Qantas' new business seat looks and feels more inviting in the design and colour I find, the only thing the Delta One seat has over it is a door...if you like that sort of thing on your seats.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

qf002

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:

DL and new QF J are both the Vantage XL so basically the same seat. Don't be fooled by DL's "door", it's a flimsy piece of plastic that doesn't reach the floor or close all the way across the opening to the aisle. It also reduces the width of the seat by 1-2 inches so DL's seat is narrower than QF's despite the wider cabin of the A350 vs 787.

Ryanair01

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm

747m8te wrote:
Ryanair01 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

It looks flash...but I found it a bit on the small/tight and confined side. I'd take the openness and space of the Skybed MKII any day personally for comfort (albeit lack of work space/privacy), but yes in looks and wow factor it beats the skybed for sure! However Qantas' new business seat looks and feels more inviting in the design and colour I find, the only thing the Delta One seat has over it is a door...if you like that sort of thing on your seats.

I just can't get comfortable on the Skybed, but have only flown it three trips. Sky Suite and Delta One, I think they're basically the same thing, although A380 refurb wont be finished for more than 18 months afterwards.

On doors.... Back in 2010 I sat on the other side of the aisle and one row behind a competitor flying to California for a presentation to the California Govt. about a fairly obscure but lucrative contract. Anyway I only realised this when I saw his laptop, which had an internal briefing presentation giving details of their whole offer including the price. Needless to say the company I was supporting at the time won the contract and still has it 8 years later! Doors on long haul business class flights have a place lol

DeltaB717

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 am

All the chatter in the last couple of pages about MEL-HND and slots at HND is missing the very key point that the bilateral between Australia and Japan provides for only 7x weekly HND services for Australian and 7x weekly HND services for Japanese carriers for flights between Australia and Japan. That allowance is fully utilised by Qantas (daily B744) and ANA (daily B787) for their SYD services. So, unless I've blinked and missed something, the chances of MEL-HND services are nil.

aldrigsomandre

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
All the chatter in the last couple of pages about MEL-HND and slots at HND is missing the very key point that the bilateral between Australia and Japan provides for only 7x weekly HND services for Australian and 7x weekly HND services for Japanese carriers for flights between Australia and Japan. That allowance is fully utilised by Qantas (daily B744) and ANA (daily B787) for their SYD services. So, unless I've blinked and missed something, the chances of MEL-HND services are nil.

On top of this, there are currently many other countries lined up for HND slots, which makes it even less likely.