PA515
Posts: 1541
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

NZ321 wrote:
What happened to NZO? (Obviously NZP won't be used).


ZK-NZO is a Cessna 208B Caravan registered to Skydive Queenstown.

PA515
 
PA515
Posts: 1541
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
The next 2 789's for Air New Zealand on the flightline at PAE

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/10 ... 6871294977


PA515 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The next 2 789's for Air New Zealand on the flightline at PAE

Interesting, L/N 749 is ZK-NZQ. I guess L/N 751 is ZK-NZN.

PA515


Matt Cawby thought L/N 749 (ZB012 / ZK-NZN) had gone to the EMC Paint Hangar on 16 Aug, but it was L/N 751 (ZB997 / ZK-NZQ). The unpainted ZK-NZN (L/N 749) is presently on it's first flight as BOE012. ZK-NZQ will have the flight number BOE997.

PA515
 
aotearoa
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 1:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 am

PA515 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The next 2 789's for Air New Zealand on the flightline at PAE

Interesting, L/N 749 is ZK-NZQ. I guess L/N 751 is ZK-NZN.

PA515


Actually, it’s the other way around, 749 is ZK-NZN and 751 is ZK-NZQ. NZQ has been painted ahead of NZN, while awaiting engines. NZN flew the B1 flight today and heads in for paint now. NZQ will have engines fitted now ahead of the B1 (obviously).
 
zkncj
Posts: 3259
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:58 am

Must be close to the first photos of NZ's A321NEO?
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:03 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-29aug18/

More changes that were expected, could still be more I believe.

There was talk of freeing up 2 frames by returning EZE and HND, EZE would have to probably be a daylight return and an earlier departure ex AKL, not sure how that will play out with the AR codeshares beyond. HND would likely have to become an afternoon departure ex AKL with a 2300 arrival 0100 departure like how it started out, no good for those domestic NH connections, but I don’t think there’s a lot else that can be done at this stage. TPE was also mentioned at the results day, maybe 4 weekly rather than 5 or something?
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
TPE ...

I see that TPE is still "subject to government approval," despite having being announced quite a while ago, and it being only 2 months until the first service. Does anyone have any idea what's holding this thing up? I hope it doesn't go down the same path as NZ's MNL launch.

Cheers,

C.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:27 am

zkncj wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/106572987/airport-departure-cards-will-be-off-the-table-come-november

New Zealand departure cards are gone from November this year - although surely they could of axed them allot earlier than November.

Now that Australia has got rid of them - how many counties get you fill in an card?

Can't think of an country I've been too in the past 5 years that one is required.


Pretty sure China still requires them :lol:
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2403
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 am

Taiwan too
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8309
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:15 pm

nz2 wrote:
Has anyone flown the EVA 773 in PE as yet? Curious to know how the cabin and seats stack up against NZ and what is loaded on the IFE system.
Cheers

No, because they took it off the AKL-CHC sector I had booked it for :-). As it stands, It has the basic BR IFE, but NZ safety videos, The seat is very similar to the NZ product
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3259
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 am

Qantas16 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/106572987/airport-departure-cards-will-be-off-the-table-come-november

New Zealand departure cards are gone from November this year - although surely they could of axed them allot earlier than November.

Now that Australia has got rid of them - how many counties get you fill in an card?

Can't think of an country I've been too in the past 5 years that one is required.


Pretty sure China still requires them :lol:


Although isn't it co-jointed with the arrival form from memory?
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am

Does anyone think VA will invest in its own lounge at AKL, with its frequency growth here, as well as its move towards a more premium in-flight product? The Strata lounge (which they currently use for TBU and RAR, and I assume will use for Australian flights post-October) is not really ideal? It's inconsistent with AKL's status as a VA hub (along with MEL, SYD and BNE, and above focus cities, like PER).

Cheers,

C.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 am

zkncj wrote:
Can't think of an country I've been too in the past 5 years that one is required.

It's not really the same thing, and I'm not sure if they still have them, but IIRC Singapore requires you to retain this silly little paper ticket you get from your arrival card, and re-present it as a quasi-departure card before leaving the country again. It's easily misplaced!

Cheers,

C.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3259
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone think VA will invest in its own lounge at AKL, with its frequency growth here, as well as its move towards a more premium in-flight product? The Strata lounge (which they currently use for TBU and RAR, and I assume will use for Australian flights post-October) is not really ideal? It's inconsistent with AKL's status as a VA hub (along with MEL, SYD and BNE, and above focus cities, like PER).
.


VA doesn't have International lounges in SYD,MEL,BNE - surely they would come before any AKL Lounge? VA Lounge access over the past years has become pretty messy with almost an guide book needed to know what Lounge you can. In SYD,MEL,BNE differ't flights have access to different lounges.

I guess would be all of VA AKL flights will move to the strata lounge.

planemanofnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Can't think of an country I've been too in the past 5 years that one is required.

It's not really the same thing, and I'm not sure if they still have them, but IIRC Singapore requires you to retain this silly little paper ticket you get from your arrival card, and re-present it as a quasi-departure card before leaving the country again. It's easily misplaced!
Cheers,
.


A few countries do the same, some will do it rather than stamping your passport e.g Hong Kong.
 
User avatar
afterburner33
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

zkncj wrote:


planemanofnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Can't think of an country I've been too in the past 5 years that one is required.

It's not really the same thing, and I'm not sure if they still have them, but IIRC Singapore requires you to retain this silly little paper ticket you get from your arrival card, and re-present it as a quasi-departure card before leaving the country again. It's easily misplaced!
Cheers,
.


A few countries do the same, some will do it rather than stamping your passport e.g Hong Kong.


A similar thing used to happen in the US too. It was annoying because they would usually staple it into your passport, and inevitably the departure customs agent would just tear it out, leaving a chunk of one of your passport pages missing. I also had them forget to remove it a couple of times too, which made for interesting conversations the next time I went back.

Mind you, I'm not sure if that was more annoying than the rigmarole required to enter the US now though.
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 am

PA515 wrote:
Some aircraft details from the Air NZ 2018 Annual Report.

A 14th 787-9 will be leased in FY 2020.

page 27
19. Operating Leases
* Includes lease commitments of five Airbus A320/321 NEO aircraft due to be delivered in the 2019 and 2020 financial years and two Boeing 787-9 aircraft due to be delivered in the 2019 and 2020 financial years.

** Aircraft leases payable less than a year include $18 million of commitments for short-term leases which provide cover for Boeing 787-9 engine issues.

Subject to negotiation, certain aircraft operating leases give the Group the right to renew the lease.


page 28
20. Capital Commitments
Commitments as at reporting date include one Boeing 787-9 aircraft (delivery in 2019 financial year), eleven Airbus A321 NEOs and four Airbus A320 NEOs (delivery from 2019 to 2024 financial years) and ten ATR72-600s (delivery from 2019 to 2020 financial years). In August 2018 the Group agreed to convert two purchase rights to A321 NEO firm orders which are reflected in the above table.


Air NZ now has fifteen A320/A321 NEOs on order plus five A320/A321 NEOs to be leased from ALC. The mix of A320 NEOs and A321 NEOs from ALC has not been specified. My guess is three A320 NEOs and two A321 NEOs. One of the A320 NEOs on order will arrive in the 2022 financial year, the other six? in 2019 and 2020 financial years.


PA515

From what I’ve heard it’s going to be 7x A321NEO for Regional and now 7x A321NEO for domestic (AKL-WLG/CHC). Plus the A320NEOs. All the old original A320s are expected to be retired on a one for one basis by end of 2020. That will mean average age of the shorthaul fleet will be about 4 years and total fleet average about 6 years making it one of the youngest fleets about. Replace the 77E and that drops even further.
59 types. 41 countries. 24 airlines.
 
PA515
Posts: 1541
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:59 pm

aotearoa wrote:
PA515 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
The next 2 789's for Air New Zealand on the flightline at PAE

Interesting, L/N 749 is ZK-NZQ. I guess L/N 751 is ZK-NZN.

PA515



Actually, it’s the other way around, 749 is ZK-NZN and 751 is ZK-NZQ. NZQ has been painted ahead of NZN, while awaiting engines. NZN flew the B1 flight today and heads in for paint now. NZQ will have engines fitted now ahead of the B1 (obviously).


That's why I checked the B1 flight number and made this post when it was clear L/N 751 had been incorrectly identified on Twitter as L/N 749.

PA515 wrote:
Matt Cawby thought L/N 749 (ZB012 / ZK-NZN) had gone to the EMC Paint Hangar on 16 Aug, but it was L/N 751 (ZB997 / ZK-NZQ). The unpainted ZK-NZN (L/N 749) is presently on it's first flight as BOE012. ZK-NZQ will have the flight number BOE997.

PA515
 
PA515
Posts: 1541
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
PA515 wrote:
Some aircraft details from the Air NZ 2018 Annual Report.

A 14th 787-9 will be leased in FY 2020.

page 27
19. Operating Leases
* Includes lease commitments of five Airbus A320/321 NEO aircraft due to be delivered in the 2019 and 2020 financial years and two Boeing 787-9 aircraft due to be delivered in the 2019 and 2020 financial years.

** Aircraft leases payable less than a year include $18 million of commitments for short-term leases which provide cover for Boeing 787-9 engine issues.

Subject to negotiation, certain aircraft operating leases give the Group the right to renew the lease.


page 28
20. Capital Commitments
Commitments as at reporting date include one Boeing 787-9 aircraft (delivery in 2019 financial year), eleven Airbus A321 NEOs and four Airbus A320 NEOs (delivery from 2019 to 2024 financial years) and ten ATR72-600s (delivery from 2019 to 2020 financial years). In August 2018 the Group agreed to convert two purchase rights to A321 NEO firm orders which are reflected in the above table.


Air NZ now has fifteen A320/A321 NEOs on order plus five A320/A321 NEOs to be leased from ALC. The mix of A320 NEOs and A321 NEOs from ALC has not been specified. My guess is three A320 NEOs and two A321 NEOs. One of the A320 NEOs on order will arrive in the 2022 financial year, the other six? in 2019 and 2020 financial years.


PA515

From what I’ve heard it’s going to be 7x A321NEO for Regional and now 7x A321NEO for domestic (AKL-WLG/CHC). Plus the A320NEOs. All the old original A320s are expected to be retired on a one for one basis by end of 2020. That will mean average age of the shorthaul fleet will be about 4 years and total fleet average about 6 years making it one of the youngest fleets about. Replace the 77E and that drops even further.


My subsequent post (below) gave details of the NEO order, however two of the Regional A320CEOs will be kept after FY2020. One until FY2022 and one until FY2023 or later.

PA515 wrote:
PA515 wrote:
The mix of A320 NEOs and A321 NEOs from ALC has not been specified. My guess is three A320 NEOs and two A321 NEOs.


Correction. The leased aircraft were specified as three A321 NEOs and two A320 NEOs in the 14 June 2018 Investor Day Presentation (Slide 51), just not how many were in FY2019 or FY2020.
https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/201 ... tation.pdf

ZK-NBT wrote:
It is a little confusing as to how many of each are on order now the A320/321 that is. All I no for certain is 7 A321 6 A320 to replace the regional fleet, then 3 A321 to join the domestic fleet in 2020 replacing 3 regional birds that will join domestic this year. Then how many more from 2020/24?


Agree, it is slightly complicated.

Twenty A321/A320 NEOs are now confirmed. Fifteen have been ordered from Airbus and five will be leased from ALC.

The order is for eleven A321NEOs and four A320NEOs. The leases are for three A321NEOs and two A320NEOs.
So, fourteen A321NEOs and six A320NEOs.

Four of the A321NEOs on order are for regional use and arrive in FY2019/2020.
The four A320NEOs on order are for regional use. Three arrive in FY2019 or 2019/2020. One arrives in FY2022.
Seven of the A321NEOs on order are for domestic use. Three arrive in FY2020, two in FY2022 and two in FY2024.

The five leased aircraft are for regional use, three A321NEOs and two A320NEOs. They arrive in FY2019 or FY2019/2020.

Air NZ 2018 Annual Results Analyst Presentation.
Slide 17. Domestic jet fleet growth forecast.
Slide 18. Aircraft delivery schedule.
Slide 34. Projected aircraft in service and fleet age.

https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/Air ... tation.pdf

PA515
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4296
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 am

CX has been names Auckland Airport's 'Airline of the Year' - it was recognised for its overall performance and continued development of its check-in kiosks, which judges said gave passengers more choice and made their journey through the airport easier. Getting a top award for merely introducing some better check-in kiosks seems a bit arbitrary to me. IMO, someone like 3C would've been a better choice.

See: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12116298.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8309
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone think VA will invest in its own lounge at AKL, with its frequency growth here, as well as its move towards a more premium in-flight product? The Strata lounge (which they currently use for TBU and RAR, and I assume will use for Australian flights post-October) is not really ideal? It's inconsistent with AKL's status as a VA hub (along with MEL, SYD and BNE, and above focus cities, like PER).

Cheers,

C.


No, given before NZ they had the Emperor Lounge, and then Strata lounge after NZ, they will piggyback on others for a lounge - I expect if another airline started a lounge, let's say a combined skyteam lounge by KE/CZ/CI then they would be trying to convince them for access. However, I think VA will struggle to keep up with trans Tasman post-NZ., and I see them pulling back eventually once they realise how hard it is to fill their aeroplanes with "full fare" offerings.

With fuel prices only going up, they will struggle against competition with deeper pockets unless their hedging is bang on.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8873
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2018

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:15 am

Please continue discussion in New Zealand Aviation Thread September 2018

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1402931
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos