Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evank516
Topic Author

Chances of WN Returning to EYW

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:07 pm

So it was brought up in another forum about the reasons behind WN's exit from EYW back in 2014. Most of them involved certain procedures/safety standards for the short runway that have since been resolved. For those of you who are not aware, EYW now has EMAS at the end of both runways, it widened the shoulders on the runway as well. So with that said, what are the odds WN would return to EYW? Someone on here mentioned 3x EYW-MCO would probably be ideal, but who knows?

SWADawg

Re: Chances of WN Returning to EYW

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 pm

I would say that the chances are quite good if the ops specs have been modified to run dry landing performance numbers for grooved runways. I don’t think the ops specs have been changed yet, so zero chance until the ops specs change.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

FA9295

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm

To destinations other than Florida, I could see 1x weekly (probably Saturday) to MDW and DAL.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 pm

SWADawg wrote:
I would say that the chances are quite good if the ops specs have been modified to run dry landing performance numbers for grooved runways. I don’t think the ops specs have been changed yet, so zero chance until the ops specs change.

Are they scheduled to be changed in the future?

FA9295 wrote:
To destinations other than Florida, I could see 1x weekly (probably Saturday) to MDW and DAL.

Not sure you would see flights outside of Florida or the Southeast on WN. The furthest I could probably see them being able to fly is BNA.

FA9295

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 pm

evank516 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Not sure you would see flights outside of Florida or the Southeast on WN. The furthest I could probably see them being able to fly is BNA.

MDW and DAL are prominent focus cities for WN. BNA is not (as far as I'm aware), so they could get more pax from connecting flights to EYW from those focus cities. I agree that at first, MCO/FLL/TPA would be much more likely to start, which is why I only said 1x weekly (at the very most) for MDW and DAL.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 pm

FA9295 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

MDW and DAL are prominent focus cities for WN. BNA is not (as far as I'm aware), so they could get more pax from connecting flights to EYW from those focus cities.

EYW has a 4,801 foot runway. I don't think the 73G/737MAX could make it that far from that short of a runway. However, if they routed the flight MDW/DAL-MCO-EYW, that would work.

xdlx

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Fuel for more than 2h is going to leave people behind!

evank516
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:19 pm

xdlx wrote:
Fuel for more than 2h is going to leave people behind!

Exactly. That's why I'd say the furthest WN could fly is probably BNA. I doubt they'd attempt ATL and go up against DL.

asuflyer05

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm

I'd love to see them run a BWI/DCA one stop to EYW. I was down in EYW back in April and everywhere I went there were Marylanders. It was like running into New Yorkers in Miami.

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 pm

evank516 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

MDW and DAL are prominent focus cities for WN. BNA is not (as far as I'm aware), so they could get more pax from connecting flights to EYW from those focus cities.

EYW has a 4,801 foot runway. I don't think the 73G/737MAX could make it that far from that short of a runway. However, if they routed the flight MDW/DAL-MCO-EYW, that would work.

WN short lived EYW-MSY service had One Way Weight restrictions.
If I recall it was capped at 129 departing EYW.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

evank516
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
I'd love to see them run a BWI/DCA one stop to EYW. I was down in EYW back in April and everywhere I went there were Marylanders. It was like running into New Yorkers in Miami.

Ironically 2 of the Delta agents are from NYC, though one forgot that the roughly 20 minutes to get from LGA to JFK is only true at like 3:00 AM on a Sunday (I had a little problem getting home a couple of weeks ago). Delta actually used to run LGA-EYW on the 73W, but it stopped a few years ago after a downgauge to the CR7. BWI/DCA-MCO-EYW would probably work out very well!

wnflyguy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

WN short lived EYW-MSY service had One Way Weight restrictions.
If I recall it was capped at 129 departing EYW.
Flyguy

I think that if they were to go back, they'd probably be flying from their larger Florida stations as opposed to attempting MSY again. Once their ops specs are updated (which I hope happens soon) they really have nothing stopping them from going back, just don't do such an oddball schedule.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos