Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

grbauc

Re: UA announces IAD-TLV

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:18 am

evomutant wrote:
grbauc wrote:
good for UA. AA needs and should have a TLV flight not acceptable. DP has spent his time.

Why is it "not acceptable"? They are a business.

They clearly feel they can make more money deploying their assets elsewhere.

more money elsewhere lol. so sick of this. I'm a capitalist but sustainable capitalism is not a thing right now at all. Sometimes you can Lose the plot or a business will no longer be in business for its customers/Employees and owners but just for the almighty Profits. The so called great depression gave businesses a licence to do has they wish in the name of profits and they have milked it to its bitter end. Many of them have.

AA is and should be able to fill a flight to TLV from one of its Eastern Hubs. JFK is not a go so PHL flight should be run. DP has ive followed since early HP days. I truly believe AA/Doug Parker needs a new vision. He's done it all. I Scott kirby is missed and he was a yang to Doug's Yin.

acentauri

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:46 am

grbauc wrote:
................. I truly believe AA/Doug Parker needs a new vision. He's done it all.< Scott kirby is missed and he was a yang to Doug's Yin>

<One of the most profound comments on anet.> I couldn't agree more. AA seems to have somewhat lost its way over the past year or 2. Parker needs a tough #1.5 to right it.

grbauc

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:04 am

more money elsewhere lol. so sick of this. I'm a capitalist but sustainable capitalism is not a thing right now at all. Sometimes you can Lose the plot or a business will no longer be in business for its customers/Employees and owners but just for the almighty Profits. The so called great depression gave businesses a licence to do has they wish in the name of profits and they have milked it to its bitter end. Many of them have.

I should of wrote Recession.

FlyHossD

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:51 am

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
The TLV flights are extremely high yeilds for us and using the IAD as a connection funnel lets us concentrate on the O&D from EWR/SFO. Yes, there is some O&D traffic in IAD, but mostly this is for connections. I can see this flight going daily eventually. Starting off like the SFO flight couple years back. Test the waters then increase frequency later.

TLV is ALWAYS a money maker for us. One of our crown jewels for sure.

Did UA fly to TLV premerger? I recall that CO did, but I just can't remember anything about UA serving TLV, too. And if they did, from where?

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wonderful to see IAD getting more UA service. Now, how about an announcement for the replacement of that awful "temporary" terminal?

Hope springs eternal. As did the roof last time I was there (C/D gates at IAD).
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

United1

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:54 am

FlyHossD wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:
The TLV flights are extremely high yeilds for us and using the IAD as a connection funnel lets us concentrate on the O&D from EWR/SFO. Yes, there is some O&D traffic in IAD, but mostly this is for connections. I can see this flight going daily eventually. Starting off like the SFO flight couple years back. Test the waters then increase frequency later.

Did UA fly to TLV premerger? I recall that CO did, but I just can't remember anything about UA serving TLV, too. And if they did, from where?

UA never served TLV prior to the merger.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

OneSexyL1011

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 am

UA444 wrote:
The PW 772 is not the dog that people think it is and the GE 772 isn’t this beacon of engineering either.

While I agree with your statement for the most part, that 8,000 lb difference in MTOW has been problematic at times when a 200C would have not been. Otherwise, the planes are a wash performance wise. Crews generally like the 200C's because of the better crew rest facilities available.

Just sayin....

coairman

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 am

evanb wrote:
United787 wrote:
Also, IAD is better for connections from everywhere else in Florida besides MIA, such as FLL, PBI, TPA, areas with large Jewish populations. Also, places like RSW and MCO.

Except their schedule to Florida from IAD is very underwhelming. They're only just restarting MIA (twice daily). They don't even fly to PBI and RSW. The only ones that have a decent schedule are TPA and MCO, which are not renowned for large Jewish populations. That's mostly on the east coast, e.g. Broward Country, Miami, South Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, which together have a Jewish population of about 650,000, compared to Tampa's 60,000.

There is twice daily service from IAD-FLL which clearly fills the South Florida gap as FLL covers MIA and PBI markets. I don’t think the FLL flights have been mentioned on this thread. South Florida appears to be covered.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

toxtethogrady

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:50 am

Between the tech connections and the desire to give the Nation's capital access to Israel, it makes sense for UA to provide a hub service. I eventually foresee similar links to ORD, IAH and DEN.

strfyr51

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:23 pm

727200 wrote:
Didn't see this one coming. I would have placed money on ORD before any other cities, but obviously the research at Willis said more potential in IAD.
I do question the lift out of EWR and IAD tho. To begin a route with a 777 is saying the untapped market is huge. That's almost 900 seats a day from an area less than 400 miles apart. Along with the SFO flight, that's 1100 seats in each direction. If it all succeeds, serious profit for UAL.

i sse it as committing to IAD as a hub since it's probably unlikely that the flight could exist at EWR because of congestion. Besides, IAD was United's original east coast hub and since 1986 has been a solid performer. I hope they see clear to upgrade that lousy terminal like the one next door. I remember we used to fly DC-10's in there with no Jetways where we had to load from the people mover to a stairs truck because the people mover couldn't get high enough to allow walk on boarding.
We've come a LONG way since them but we have a ways to go Still to have a prime terminal at our Nation's Capitol. That terminal should be a showcase!

strfyr51

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wonderful to see IAD getting more UA service. Now, how about an announcement for the replacement of that awful "temporary" terminal?

United flew to TLV before the merger and just before CH-11, We ended a LOT of promising routes that we're just now getting back to. though I'm glad we ended DXB as that route was a pain in the rear. Though it probably paved the way for us to go back to TLV.

codc10

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:33 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:

SurfandSnow wrote:

United flew to TLV before the merger and just before CH-11, We ended a LOT of promising routes that we're just now getting back to. though I'm glad we ended DXB as that route was a pain in the rear. Though it probably paved the way for us to go back to TLV.

TLV was a CO station with EWR its only route until SFO launched; UA never had scheduled TLV service prior to the merger.

Bald1983

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm

grbauc wrote:
evomutant wrote:
grbauc wrote:
good for UA. AA needs and should have a TLV flight not acceptable. DP has spent his time.

Why is it "not acceptable"? They are a business.

They clearly feel they can make more money deploying their assets elsewhere.

AA is and should be able to fill a flight to TLV from one of its Eastern Hubs. JFK is not a go so PHL flight should be run. DP has ive followed since early HP days. I truly believe AA/Doug Parker needs a new vision. He's done it all. I Scott kirby is missed and he was a yang to Doug's Yin.

Purpose of any business is to make profits. Airlines do so by flying to places that make sense to them, where they can fill their planes with people paying enough to make profits. One of the reasons airlines are making money right now is that they cut out flying that was not working for them.

Freshside3

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:01 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
What the?

IAD over ORD? Seriously? LY would be better for IAD-TLV.

I still can’t believe ORD has no flight to TLV.

It doesn't make sense to me, either. For some unknown reason, UA does not want to add anything to Mediterranean destinations from ORD, despite the fact that there are a lot of Chicagoans that do go to that part of the world frequently. No other carriers go to ATH from ORD, either.

In contrast, AA has put VCE from ORD, which is a "surprise" success. That success is no "surprise" to me......in fact, more of a "no-brainer".

United787

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me, either. For some unknown reason, UA does not want to add anything to Mediterranean destinations from ORD, despite the fact that there are a lot of Chicagoans that do go to that part of the world frequently. No other carriers go to ATH from ORD, either.

In contrast, AA has put VCE from ORD, which is a "surprise" success. That success is no "surprise" to me......in fact, more of a "no-brainer".

UA did add ORD-FCO a few years ago which I assume is doing well. But AA added ORD-FCO, BCN and VCE for which I am impressed, and it takes a lot for me to say something positive about AA from ORD. UA does fly EWR-ATH which I am sure gives them some data, which may be preventing them from starting ORD-ATH. My guess is ORD-ATH would do well seasonally, but there are other routes that would do better right now, so they get priority. As a Greek-American in Chicago, I hope someone adds it.

Sorry, just remembered that the thread is about UA and IAD-TLV...not ORD or ATH...

klwright69

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

The fact that IAD-TLV will be a 777 and not a 787 sure indicates that TLV no longer needs a 787 to prove itself worthy. It demonstrates a lot of confidence. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA add another seasonal flight to ATH from another gateway.

ruskistl

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm

MKIAZ wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
And yet AA couldn’t make PHL-TLV work, or so they said.

This almost certainly had to be about the old TWA/AA issue with Israel. There is no other reason the largest US airline wouldn't have a flight to TLV - be it from PHL/JFK/MIA.

Can someone explain the history of the problem with TWA?

Boof02671

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:31 am

Schweigend

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 am

IAD-TLV does seem a logical choice for UA.

There was a time, some years ago before the merger, when CO considered a third daily EWR-TLV on its 77Es -- but that didn't happen, as the planes were needed elsewhere.

Today, EWR-TLV is 2x daily with a 77E and a 77W, while SFO-TLV has a 77W.

That third east coast flight finally has happened -- on IAD-TLV !

And I think it will succeed, because of UA's various combinations of O/D and conx pax on their SFO, EWR, and IAD routes.

They will, I expect, profit well from this.

Cheers.

tpaewr

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am

strfyr51 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
OneSexyL1011 wrote:

SurfandSnow wrote:

I do not recall old UA ever serving TLV. Where was this from and with what equipment? Post merger TLV & DXB both operated side by side for years.

In recent history TLV was largely dominated by LY & CO with US also playing a role. Historically TLV had been TW and for a while FF.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos