questions
Topic Author

Delta: AMS vs CDG

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 am

For comparisons, how many routes, flights and passengers does DL fly to AMS and CDG?

Strategically are the two hubs used the same in DL’s network or does each serve a unique purpose?

Even though AF-KLM is one organization and DL has a TATL JV, is there any indication which hub DL prefers — operationally, financially, etc?

VSMUT

Re: Delta: AMS vs CDG

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:56 am

questions wrote:
For comparisons, how many routes, flights and passengers does DL fly to AMS and CDG?

According to wikipedia, 10 routes to Amsterdam and 11+2 seasonal to Paris.

I am by no means an expert, but I would think that Amsterdam tends to be more for connecting passengers, while CDG leans more towards origin and destination. Paris is number 3 on the most visited cities in the world.

Iemand91

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 am

Iemand91 wrote:
At AMS up to 20 daily flights to 10 destinations: (this summer)
JFK 2x
BOS 2x
DTW 4x
ATL 3x
MSP 3x
PDX 1x
SEA 2x
SLC 1x
MCO 1x
LAX 1x (LAX is the only non daily flight; it's 4x per week)

viewtopic.php?p=20612985#p20610293
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

zackary747

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 am

VSMUT wrote:
questions wrote:

According to wikipedia, 10 routes to Amsterdam and 11+2 seasonal to Paris.

I am by no means an expert, but I would think that Amsterdam tends to be more for connecting passengers, while CDG leans more towards origin and destination. Paris is number 3 on the most visited cities in the world.

PIT/IND/RDU/CVG-CDG rely heavily on connecting traffic (and cargo) to make those routes successful.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

abauds201

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 am

Not an expert either, but i have heard AMS is preferred operationally as CDG has a convoluted bag sorting process (much more misconnects/losses than ams) along with AF labor strikes

jumpjets

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:11 am

Reading this thread just encouraged me to look at the Delta interactive route map and was interested to see that taking in their 'partner airlines' - KLM, AF and VS they have 32 flights a day between CDG and the USA, 27 from AMS and only 20 from LHR.

Following through on the earlier comment about Paris being the worlds third most visited city, the World Economic Forum lists London as third and Paris 7th whilst Amsterdam only manages 27th in the world [8th in Europe].

When you look at where most money is spent by tourists London keeps its 3rd place ranking and Paris climbs one place to sixth.

Just a bit of interest [to me anyway] that number of routes/flights and visitors preferencers/spending habits are not always congruent.

zakuivcustom

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:17 pm

jumpjets wrote:
Following through on the earlier comment about Paris being the worlds third most visited city, the World Economic Forum lists London as third and Paris 7th whilst Amsterdam only manages 27th in the world [8th in Europe].

When you look at where most money is spent by tourists London keeps its 3rd place ranking and Paris climbs one place to sixth.

Just a bit of interest [to me anyway] that number of routes/flights and visitors preferencers/spending habits are not always congruent.

Depends on which report you're using. Mastercard Tourism report does have Paris in 3rd place. They only count international overnight visitors, though, and that usually help European cities quite a bit. (Amsterdam, for instance, is #13, and #5 in Europe).

On the other hand, Paris is still 6th place in terms of tourist spending.

https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-cont ... Report.pdf

On the flip side, IND, PIT, CVG, and RDU all only have flight to CDG but not AMS. So maybe they are targeting more O&D traffic there (There will be connection at both CDG and AMS). I do agree about AMS being easier for connection, though, b/c, quite frankly, CDG suck.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

OSL777FLYER

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 pm

As mentioned in another post, AMS most likely more transfer passengers than CDG.

A reason for using MAS a lot is that Northwest Airlines had a great relationship with KLM and a lot of slots when they were acquired by DL. It would make sense to continue that operation.

factsonly

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm

The two European Delta hubs are a little different, here are the 2017 & 2018 figures:

- AMS - TOTAL 2017 Passengers: 68.515.425 of which 25.314.802 TRANSFER passengers = 37% transfer passengers
- AMS - Jan-Jun 2018 Passengers: 34.047.363 of which 12.574.626 TRANSFER passengers = 37% transfer passengers

- CDG - TOTAL 2017 Passengers: 69.471.442 of which 11.699.597 TRANSFER passengers = 23% transfer passengers
- CDG - Jan-Jun 2018 Passengers: 33.923.937 of which 5.357.732 TRANSFER passengers = 21% transfer passengers

So in total number of passengers the two hubs are very similar, however AMS is more than 2x larger for CONNECTING traffic.
It looks as if, AMS could even be larger than CDG over the full year 2018.

jumpjets wrote:
- DL + KLM, AF and VS have 32 flights a day between CDG and the USA, 27 from AMS and only 20 from LHR.

The correct figures for 2018 on DL/VS//AFKLM are:

CDG: 34 daily CDG-USA
AMS: 32 daily AMS-USA
LHR: 25 daily LHR-USA

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:37 pm

factsonly wrote:
The two European Delta hubs are a little different, here are the 2017 & 2018 figures:

- AMS - TOTAL 2017 Passengers: 68.515.425 of which 25.314.802 TRANSFER passengers = 37% transfer passengers
- AMS - Jan-Jun 2018 Passengers: 34.047.363 of which 12.574.626 TRANSFER passengers = 37% transfer passengers

- CDG - TOTAL 2017 Passengers: 69.471.442 of which 11.699.597 TRANSFER passengers = 23% transfer passengers
- CDG - Jan-Jun 2018 Passengers: 33.923.937 of which 5.357.732 TRANSFER passengers = 21% transfer passengers

So in total number of passengers the two hubs are very similar, however AMS is more than 2x larger for CONNECTING traffic.

Can you dive deeper for a North Atlantic connecting/O&D count, or a Delta-specific count?

fsafsx

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

I would like to see delta or Klm start an pitt to amsterdam flight on the 767-300er. I think there's enough room for that as well as aer lingus to Dublin and Norwegian to Oslo and Copenhagen. Pitt has a lot potential for Atlantic routes.

OSL777FLYER

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:15 pm

fsafsx wrote:
I would like to see delta or Klm start an pitt to amsterdam flight on the 767-300er. I think there's enough room for that as well as aer lingus to Dublin and Norwegian to Oslo and Copenhagen. Pitt has a lot potential for Atlantic routes.

Who would feed these routes in Pittsburgh? BA tried when they were in Partnership with US Air, but it was not sustainable. However they will try again in 2019. (maybe channel some service in cooperation with AA through there instead of the other hubs??)

Additionally you have WOW flying there ans well as seasonal service with Condor. Could be hard to see anyone else at the moment.

IPFreely

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 pm

abauds201 wrote:
Not an expert either, but i have heard AMS is preferred operationally as CDG has a convoluted bag sorting process (much more misconnects/losses than ams) along with AF labor strikes

Not sure if the data bears this out but I agree. The strikes in France, not just by AF but also airport ground workers, baggage handlers, etc.,have gotten out of control. It seems like DL passengers with any common sense should always choose to connect in AMS or even LHR over CDG.

RDUDDJI

Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm

zackary747 wrote:
PIT/IND/RDU/CVG-CDG rely heavily on connecting traffic (and cargo) to make those routes successful.

Almost every US3 flight relies heavily on connecting traffic for long haul flights. That's why there's more often than not a hub on one or both ends (or at least a partner's hub). Cargo makes up <2% of DL's revenue, so it alone is not likely to sustain a TATL flight. There's just too much competition in the cargo biz.

PIT/IND/RDU/CVG probably rely more on subsidies/guarantees than typical hub-hub/or big city-hub Int'l flying. There's really no way to know for sure since little to none of that info is available to the public (save for the initial subsidies).
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:01 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Almost every US3 flight relies heavily on connecting traffic for long haul flights. That's why there's more often than not a hub on one or both ends (or at least a partner's hub). Cargo makes up <2% of DL's revenue, so it alone is not likely to sustain a TATL flight. There's just too much competition in the cargo biz.

PIT/IND/RDU/CVG probably rely more on subsidies/guarantees than typical hub-hub/or big city-hub Int'l flying. There's really no way to know for sure since little to none of that info is available to the public (save for the initial subsidies).

This is a very misinformed comment

To start RDU/CVG/PIT-CDG don't have any subsidies anymore
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

RobertS975

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm

[quote="factsonly"]The two European Delta hubs are a little different, here are the 2017 & 2018 figures:

Whether it is a valid observation or not, the prevalent feeling amongst frequent DL passengers is that AMS is a far more friendly place to make connections over CDG. Personally, I find this to be true from personal experience. I have never had a TATL flight into AMS have to use a hard stand and bus to terminal. My small sample size at CDG is 50% hard stand (3 out of 6). An early AM arrival into AMS with a 55-60 minute connecting flight is relatively easy. The same at CDG is folly.

evanb

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Given the scale of the US3 these days, they cannot survive on one European connecting hub anymore. There isn't enough connecting capacity available from a partner at a single hub. For example, if DL consolidated all it's connecting traffic at AMS (or CDG), KL (of AF) wouldn't be able to provide sufficient capacity. The same might be the case for UA at FRA or AA at LHR.

Runway28L

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:27 pm

fsafsx wrote:

DL reportedly was deciding between CDG and AMS in 2008 for which one to serve nonstop from PIT. They ended up choosing CDG likely because not only it would serve the same purpose as AMS, but CDG would attract more tourist traffic. Plus it had been served prior by US whereas AMS never was. CDG every year has been heavily advertised as destination for tourism as well as connecting with mention of the JV with AF.

But since DL made the flight go daily in 2015 and upgraded to to a 76Z in 2018, I think they made the right selection.

Although overall, there's no room for AMS, DY, and EI to DUB at once in addition to what PIT will have in 2019. EI to DUB seems the most likely at something like 4x weekly summer-only. But I think whoever is next in line after them, the door has slammed shut for now as PIT surely does not want to cannibalize their existing TATL service.

RDUDDJI

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone of those was given subs, google it. I suppose that's why you contradicted yourself with the "anymore". As I said in my statement, ongoing subs/guars are rarely made public. So if you say they aren't, then provide a source, otherwise it's conjecture.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

FLYKTPA

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:32 pm

fsafsx wrote:

Copenhagen - PIT is only 13 passengers a day and Oslo is less than 3. Both are highly unlikely.
DUB is only 40 passengers a day so even with connections that’s probably a stretch too.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

Jerry123

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:23 pm

IPFreely wrote:
abauds201 wrote:

Not sure if the data bears this out but I agree. The strikes in France, not just by AF but also airport ground workers, baggage handlers, etc.,have gotten out of control. It seems like DL passengers with any common sense should always choose to connect in AMS or even LHR over CDG.

As someone who flies UK to US via AMS and CDG i find AMS is a much better transfer experience than CDG because there isn't security between the concourses to deal with unlike CDG, AMS is much less stressful.

klakzky123

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Only thing I'll say about CDG is that if you have SkyTeam Elite Plus it makes it a lot easier to deal with. They have separate Sky Priority security and immigration between terminals and the AF lounge in 2E is way better than any Crown Lounge in AMS. And CDG doesn't have the annoying pseudo customs check on outbound flights to the US (unless this changed).

Now if you don't have Skyteam Elite status, then AMS is the easy choice. But with status, I actually think CDG might be better (assuming there aren't strikes).

RobertS975

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
Only thing I'll say about CDG is that if you have SkyTeam Elite Plus it makes it a lot easier to deal with. They have separate Sky Priority security and immigration between terminals and the AF lounge in 2E is way better than any Crown Lounge in AMS. And CDG doesn't have the annoying pseudo customs check on outbound flights to the US (unless this changed).

Now if you don't have Skyteam Elite status, then AMS is the easy choice. But with status, I actually think CDG might be better (assuming there aren't strikes).

The other CDG deal killer for me is the frequency of your arrival getting a remote stand, a trip down the steps to the bus with your carry on and your duty free... there is nothing worse than a pleasant TATL business class flight followed by a stop and go, jerky bus trip across CDG. It may happen at AMS, but in dozens of TATL arrivals into AMS, I have never had to ride a bus.

RobertS975

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

The other CDG deal killer for me is the frequency of your arrival getting a remote stand, a trip down the steps to the bus with your carry on and your duty free... there is nothing worse than a pleasant TATL business class flight followed by a stop and go, jerky bus trip across CDG. Skyteam status matters not on the bus! It may happen at AMS, but in dozens of TATL arrivals into AMS, I have never had to ride a bus.

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone of those was given subs, google it. I suppose that's why you contradicted yourself with the "anymore". As I said in my statement, ongoing subs/guars are rarely made public. So if you say they aren't, then provide a source, otherwise it's conjecture.

Read exactly what I said, RDU/CVG/PIT-CDG don't have any subsidies anymore

PIT-CDG has been without subsidies since 2010:
https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13 ... gger-plane

CVG-CDG never was subsidized since it was a holdover from the hub
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872 ... 1305169460

RDU-CDG it is unclear if it is still subsidized, but from all accounts the incentives were one-time payments
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/ne ... facts.html

Furthermore, cargo is extremely important on routes like these:
Back in 2012 it was written that the CVG-CDG flight carried 4,200,000 pounds of engine parts
DL is also expanding its cargo facility in IND to allow for more cargo to be transported on the IND-CDG flight
When asked about Cargo, Richard Anderson said it was "very profitable"-https://cargofacts.com/delta-air-lines-in-the-express-business/

Nola

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 pm

klakzky123 wrote:

CDG really isn't a problem to transit unless one is going from Hop! to mainline, in which case even a slight delay can make transfer a real challenge (not to mention luggage misconnects). But, if one is going international to mainline, it really isn't difficult. And the AF lounge in 2E (M gates, I think) is one of the best Skyteam lounges anywhere. The K and L lounges do need upgrades.

Midwestindy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:40 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
factsonly wrote:
My small sample size at CDG is 50% hard stand (3 out of 6). An early AM arrival into AMS with a 55-60 minute connecting flight is relatively easy. The same at CDG is folly.

Depends where you are connecting from, if you are going from E to F you connect in an hour

cvgComair

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:

No, you have no idea what you are talking about. CVG-CDG has never had a subsidy and has operated continuously for 30 years (first 10 using ORY). The flight is quite profitable on its own, let alone the huge amount of cargo from the GE contract. There is a reason DHL, which flies 100% international cargo, doesn’t have a CDG flight from Cincy. As Indy cited above, GE’s cargo contract is quite lucrative and is only going to increase as GE builds a manufacturing facility at CVG.

Aesma

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:18 pm

About what people spend in Paris there are several explanations, one could be that quite a number of people don't stay in Paris but go elsewhere in France.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos