Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

unrave
Topic Author

Indian Airports - Construction and Expansion Thread 2018

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm

China plans to build 125 new airports by 2025. It will be a miracle if India builds 5% as many. Nevertheless a handful of new airports are at various stages of construction and several airports are being expanded to cater to the air traffic boom in India. This is a thread to track the related developments.

New Airports under construction
Pakyong - Long delayed airport will finally connect provide air connectivity to Sikkim. The beginning of commercial airports is imminent.
Kannur - Kerala's fourth airport is expected to be opened later this year.
Navi Mumbai - BOM is at saturation. Navi Mumbai can't come quickly enough
Mopa - Construction has recently started at the controversial airport in north Goa

New Airports under planning
Jowar - DEL will reach its ultimate design capacity of 110m by 2025 just in time for Jowar to take over.
Bhogpuram - Bifurcated AP's largest city needs a swanky new airport. AAI emerged as the winner of the bid, which was thankfully cancelled.
Purandar - Villagers are up in arms against Pune's new airport. Might take several years for project to get off ground.
Chennai new airport - Location not yet known.

In addition, most major airports have planned are undergoing expansion

unrave
Topic Author

Re: Indian Airports - Construction and Expansion Thread

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm

The prebid meet for Bhogapuram airport was held today, attended by 13 interested firms. The response to RFQ is due by September 10.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 618408.ece

binayak

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Excellent idea unrave . Much needed thread.
Since new Chennai airport whose location is unknown is here, do add the new kolkata airport whose location is unknown as well.

iyerhari

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm

If BMC and Maharashtra Govt. were able to get rid of slums close to BOM airport, wouldn't that suffice than building a completely brand new airport in Navi Mumbai? I have been hearing about this airport for several years and I doubt in my living day we will be ever able to see this airport. Plus consider all the other approvals and everything that is needed. Now, clearing up a massive cluster of slums and the politics surrounding it, is not easy in Mumbai.

Great thread - thank you.

lightsaber

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:23 pm

First, new links are appreciated.

In my opinion Navi Mumbai will need to be dramatically expanded. Is there land to do so?

Pune is begging for a major new airport.

Has Jawar (Delhi) been approved?

What about Chennai?

As to China, those are becoming make work. Most of the needed airports are completed and even over-built. Yes, Daxing is needed and PVG to expand. I would expand HKG, CAN, and a few others. But China hasn't enabled general aviation to the degree needed for 125 more airports...

India needs dozens more airports and much more hubbing.

Lightsaber

fortunerunnner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:19 pm

iyerhari wrote:
If BMC and Maharashtra Govt. were able to get rid of slums close to BOM airport, wouldn't that suffice than building a completely brand new airport in Navi Mumbai? I have been hearing about this airport for several years and I doubt in my living day we will be ever able to see this airport. Plus consider all the other approvals and everything that is needed. Now, clearing up a massive cluster of slums and the politics surrounding it, is not easy in Mumbai.

Navi Mumbai airport construction is already underway so we should see it getting built in near future. How big it will be is anyone's guess as there are still protests and litigation going on regarding land acquisition.

unrave
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 pm

iyerhari wrote:

No, even if the infamous Jaarimari slums are cleared, only the terminal building will be expanded, which will do nothing to alleviate the biggest constraint i.e. runway capacity.This airport has indeed been in the news for several years but it really is happening. All approvals have been obtained, GVK (the same operator running BOM) won the bid and funding was tied up. Site preparation work has been going on in full swing.

As per the original plan Phase 1 was to have 10m and an ultimate capacity of 60m. Just a few days back GVK announced that Phase 1 will have 20m and that they are looking to raise ultimate capacity to 90m

A few recent pics showing site clearance work: https://imgur.com/a/Nqil9Vb

vadodara

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Excellent thread.

Dholera (Federa) airport

CaliguyNYC

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:53 pm

unrave wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

No, even if the infamous Jaarimari slums are cleared, only the terminal building will be expanded, which will do nothing to alleviate the biggest constraint i.e. runway capacity.This airport has indeed been in the news for several years but it really is happening. All approvals have been obtained, GVK (the same operator running BOM) won the bid and funding was tied up. Site preparation work has been going on in full swing.

As per the original plan Phase 1 was to have 10m and an ultimate capacity of 60m. Just a few days back GVK announced that Phase 1 will have 20m and that they are looking to raise ultimate capacity to 90m

You sure. I thought they could build a parallel runway. Now will it have simultaneous use is the question. Even if it didn't, having to usable parallel runways (say one for take off and one for landing) would surely increase capacity. You would still need Navi Mumbai, but why waste the capacity for BOM when the airport OWNS the land. If you ask me it is dumb that the slums have to be settled in the same district. Who cares if the slums vote in another district after resettlement. As long as they get fair / lawful compensation.

binayak

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

You sure. I thought they could build a parallel runway. Now will it have simultaneous use is the question. Even if it didn't, having to usable parallel runways (say one for take off and one for landing) would surely increase capacity. You would still need Navi Mumbai, but why waste the capacity for BOM when the airport OWNS the land. If you ask me it is dumb that the slums have to be settled in the same district. Who cares if the slums vote in another district after resettlement. As long as they get fair / lawful compensation.

The slums he's talking about "jari mari " are located behind runway 09/27. (check Google Maps). So clearing them will only enable T2 expansion at the loss of a famous avgeek heaven.
For a parallel runway, the vakola slums (the ones beside 09/27) have to be cleared along with AI's MRO unit. But even that won't be good for long run and some day navi Mumbai airport will be required.

vadodara

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes, AI's MRO unit plus possible buildings from the AI colony along with the sundry slums.

In fact, one could have a shorter runway i.e. allow only narrow bodies to take-off from the 2nd (parallel) runway. It would definitely augment capacity during the day time.

Opening of NMIA will hasten traffic away from Bombay.

sand26391

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm

HYD is also going thru its Terminal expansion right now. Same with BLR with 2nd RWY U/C and T2 works starting soon. Any1 else down south going thru expansions? Any updates on PNQ?

vadodara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Caliguy
Considering that over 50% of BOM slots are held by full service carriers that could (Jet) or should (AI) go banckrupt, what does this tell you about status of BOM as a hub or need for NMIA

CaliguyNYC

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

vadodara wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
unrave wrote:

Caliguy
Considering that over 50% of BOM slots are held by full service carriers that could (Jet) or should (AI) go banckrupt, what does this tell you about status of BOM as a hub or need for NMIA

Come on you have go to know that the correlation you are trying to make doesn't make sense. I bet BOM is a net contributor for most domestic airlines. Last I check BOM still contributes some crazy high percentage of India's taxes and is home to large business houses. You can't have a proper hub without having a slew of connections that are banked. I am sure BOM is not bringing these airlines down. NMIA is needed simply because BOM, even with another runway, will be maxed out soon. Plus look at all the missing connections that BOM should have. Right or wrong, BOM is a natural hub in that it can fill 50% of the seats to many indian destinations with multiple flights in a day (what you need for a hub). Normally you would support frequency like that with connecting traffic. BOM can't rely on connecting traffic because there are no slots. I am willing to bet most cities in India want a nonstop flight to BOM the same way American cities want a nonstop to NYC - it brings business, tourists and growth - I know this is hard for some people to accept. Also the MH govt needs to lower aviation tax but continues to loot Bombay to fund growth in MH. Your original generalization is like saying Spicejet was originally a southern airline but went broke so don't fly to the south.

binayak

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Come on you have go to know that the correlation you are trying to make doesn't make sense. I bet BOM is a net contributor for most domestic airlines. Last I check BOM still contributes some crazy high percentage of India's taxes and is home to large business houses. You can't have a proper hub without having a slew of connections that are banked. I am sure BOM is not bringing these airlines down. NMIA is needed simply because BOM, even with another runway, will be maxed out soon. Plus look at all the missing connections that BOM should have. Right or wrong, BOM is a natural hub in that it can fill 50% of the seats to many indian destinations with multiple flights in a day (what you need for a hub). Normally you would support frequency like that with connecting traffic. BOM can't rely on connecting traffic because there are no slots. I am willing to bet most cities in India want a nonstop flight to BOM the same way American cities want a nonstop to NYC - it brings business, tourists and growth - I know this is hard for some people to accept. Also the MH govt needs to lower aviation tax but continues to loot Bombay to fund growth in MH. Your original generalization is like saying Spicejet was originally a southern airline but went broke so don't fly to the south.

Plus add to the fact that PNQ is an ulcer IT hub and can potentially attract EU flights. With NMIA both Mumbai and pune can exploit their potential and produce a mix of finance and IT traffic together.

vadodara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:05 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Come on you have go to know that the correlation you are trying to make doesn't make sense. I bet BOM is a net contributor for most domestic airlines. Last I check BOM still contributes some crazy high percentage of India's taxes and is home to large business houses. You can't have a proper hub without having a slew of connections that are banked. I am sure BOM is not bringing these airlines down.

But both the full-service (hub-spoke) airlines are deep in red.

CaliguyNYC wrote:
NMIA is needed simply because BOM, even with another runway, will be maxed out soon. Plus look at all the missing connections that BOM should have. Right or wrong, BOM is a natural hub in that it can fill 50% of the seats to many indian destinations with multiple flights in a day (what you need for a hub). Normally you would support frequency like that with connecting traffic. BOM can't rely on connecting traffic because there are no slots. -I am willing to bet most cities in India want a nonstop flight to BOM the same way American cities want a nonstop to NYC it brings business, tourists and growth - I know this is hard for some people to accept. Also the MH govt needs to lower aviation tax but continues to loot Bombay to fund growth in MH. Your original generalization is like saying Spicejet was originally a southern airline but went broke so don't fly to the south.

Seems to me you are citing LaGuardia as a model; not exactly a hub. In fact, LaGuardia slots are the only worthwhile asset any banckrupt airline possessed.

vadodara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm

binayak wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Plus add to the fact that PNQ is an ulcer IT hub and can potentially attract EU flights. With NMIA both Mumbai and pune can exploit their potential and produce a mix of finance and IT traffic together.

From what I hear, NMIA is not exactly easy for the Pune guys to get to.

Begues

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:25 pm

lightsaber wrote:
First, new links are appreciated.

In my opinion Navi Mumbai will need to be dramatically expanded. Is there land to do so?

Lightsaber

In theory the airport could have more runways but it will open with 2.

The terminal building will be built to support a total capacity of 60 million passengers a year when the project is fully completed. The building will be H-shaped and comprise five-levels with a total area of 523,000m², including two concourses. It will handle international and domestic passengers with 78 contact airport positions, 29 remote aircraft positions and more than 350 check-in counters.

https://www.airport-technology.com/proj ... l-airport/

lightsaber wrote:
As to China, those are becoming make work. Most of the needed airports are completed and even over-built. Yes, Daxing is needed and PVG to expand. I would expand HKG, CAN, and a few others. But China hasn't enabled general aviation to the degree needed for 125 more airports...

Lightsaber

The whole made in China 2025 project has boosted the drive to implement private aviation in China, with the new lifetime dictator running the country, they are not going to change course so private aviation will happen.

The chinese govenment decided last year to build atleast one general aviation airport in every county by 2050, china has close to 3000 counties and the more populous ones will certainly have more than one in the future. According to the state owned news outlet xinxua, over 500 will be ready by 2020.

By 2020, China will have over 500 general aviation airports and more than 5,000 general aviation aircraft.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-0 ... 331302.htm

The State Council released a statement in 2016, saying the country will have over 500 airports for small aircraft only, more than 5,000 private jets, turboprops and helicopters by 2020, and 2 million hours of annual flying time in 2020.

http://www.ecns.cn/news/economy/2018-08 ... 1659.shtml

CaliguyNYC

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Vadodora wrote "Seems to me you are citing LaGuardia as a model; not exactly a hub. In fact, LaGuardia slots are the only worthwhile asset any banckrupt airline possessed.'

No NYC in general - EWR, LGA, JFK. American cities want nonstop flights to NYC metro area because it is America's financial capital. To be honest, I don't know what point you are trying to make other than - see airlines are losing money so BOM sucks. My point is - airlines are losing money, even in BOM, which means Indian aviation is screwed up. Btw - LGA flights basically have to survive on O&D with some connections. It is very similar in BOM. That means BOM lacks critical connectivity because modern day aviation is a mix of O&D and connections to make high frequency and broad reach connectivity viable.

vadodara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 pm

To be honest, I don't know what point you are trying to make other than - see airlines are losing money so BOM sucks.

Actually, this was my point.

Btw - LGA flights basically have to survive on O&D with some connections. It is very similar in BOM. That means BOM lacks critical connectivity because modern day aviation is a mix of O&D and connections to make high frequency and broad reach connectivity viable.

The recent growth in India suggests it is one large O&D market; in the near term, the ME3 plus SIN will be India-centric hubs.

binayak

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 pm

vadodara wrote:
To be honest, I don't know what point you are trying to make other than - see airlines are losing money so BOM sucks.

Please explain how does BOM "sucks " if airlines are not in a good condition.

vadodara

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 pm

binayak wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Please explain how does BOM "sucks " if airlines are not in a good condition.

Btw - LGA flights basically have to survive on O&D with some connections. It is very similar in BOM. That means BOM lacks critical connectivity because modern day aviation is a mix of O&D and connections

CaliguyNYC answered his own question.

VTORD

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 am

vadodara wrote:

That's strange....IIRC, PNQ folks would just drive along Mumbai-Pune Expressway but take the road towards JNPT from Kalamboli junction. This is a potential bottleneck spot but you are still closer than BOM

unrave
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:53 am

HYD expansion: Civil construction and airside infra contracts have been bagged by L&T and Megawide for Rs. 3028 crore and Rs. 980 cr respectively. expansion will increase capacity from 12m to 34m. To be completed by 2022.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 634_1.html

unrave
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am

Navi Mumbai Airport, perhaps India's most urgently required transportation infrastructure project reached a major milestone last week when it was announced that it had reached financial closure for the first phase of the plan.

GVK has now revealed that it will raise Rs. 13,500 crore towards the second phase and the proposal for the same is being evaluated.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 648_1.html

binayak

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:13 am

unrave wrote:
Navi Mumbai Airport, perhaps India's most urgently required transportation infrastructure project reached a major milestone last week when it was announced that it had reached financial closure for the first phase of the plan.

GVK has now revealed that it will raise Rs. 13,500 crore towards the second phase and the proposal for the same is being evaluated.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 648_1.html

I just wish it gets ready (first phase) by 2022. Well now that it's planned capacity has been increased by 50%, won't it cost more than the original amount.

unrave
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am

binayak wrote:
Well now that it's planned capacity has been increased by 50%, won't it cost more than the original amount.

The financial closure for ph 1 takes into account the increase in planned capacity form 10m to 20m. The ultimate capacity increase (from 60m to 90m) is only a proposal at this stage.

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:31 am

The foundation stone for Jabalpur airport expansion was laid yesterday. The scope of work includes extension of runway from ~2000m to 2750m, construction of airport terminal building, ETC tower and misc. at a cost of Rs. 400 cr

The present airport sees 6 take offs daily, all on ATR/Q400. The runway expansion will facilitate operating NB aircraft.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 39621.html

slickvik

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Chandigarh night landing starting in March, if it's true great news, though without CAT III won't reach full potential.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/punjab/n ... diwzH.html

unrave
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:05 am

New terminal for AMD is in the works
https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 507623.cms

Gr8Circle

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 pm

vadodara wrote:

currently, a lot of travelers come all the way down from Pune to BOM to catch flights........NMIA will definitely be much easier for them....of course, the required road and rail access needs to be built for both Mumbai and Pune traffic......

vadodara

Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
unrave wrote:
New terminal for AMD is in the works
https://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 507623.cms

About time. AAI always seems to be few years behind the curve.

unrave
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 am

The foundation stone for building a civilian terminal and expand the runway at Bokaro Still City airport. Yet another airport that has benefited from UDAN
https://www.dailypioneer.com/state-edit ... untry.html

unrave
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:13 am

GVK has invited EoIs for construction and engineering work at the Navi Mumbai airport. The tender is worth about Rs. 6400 crore
https://indianexpress.com/article/citie ... r-5325979/

unrave
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 am

Trial landing at the newly built Kalaburagi airport was successfully conducted yesterday
https://www.aninews.in/videos/national/ ... cessfully/

zionite

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:47 am

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:21 am

The main runway of MAA will be closed from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. till the end of October and subsequently, from November till March, it will be shut from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to facilitate the construction of three RETs. Airport operations will be unaffected with the secondary runway handling all take offs and landings.

ytz

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Will NMIA see the closure of BOM?

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:18 pm

ytz wrote:
Will NMIA see the closure of BOM?

No, Mumbai will be served by both the airports.

unrave
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 am

National Green Tribunal has upheld the environment cleared provided to Mopa (Goa's second airport). This will facilitate the commencement of work there.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... TOIDesktop

unrave
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 am

Jharsuguda airport to be opened by the PM on 22Sep18. This is Odisha's second civilian airport which was previously used for military operations in Word War II and '71 Indo Pak war. Air Odisha is scheduled to commence operations with flight connectivity to Bhubaneshwar, a route that was awarded under the UDAN scheme.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 65612.html

unrave
Topic Author

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:33 am

ILS calibration work started at the newly built Kannur airport yesterday.

unrave
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 am

ITD Cementation Ltd has won the bid to construct the new terminal at PNQ at a cost of Rs. 360 crore. ITD was previously involved in CCU modernisation between 2008 and 2012

unrave
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:50 pm

AAI has sought environment clearance for expansion work at 5 airports: LKO, PAT, VGA, DED and JLR

globetrotter94

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:18 am

unrave wrote:
HYD expansion: Civil construction and airside infra contracts have been bagged by L&T and Megawide for Rs. 3028 crore and Rs. 980 cr respectively. expansion will increase capacity from 12m to 34m. To be completed by 2022.
https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 634_1.html

What does this expansion entail? Is it extension of the current T1 piers?

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:31 am

globetrotter94 wrote:
What does this expansion entail? Is it extension of the current T1 piers?

T1 expansion and second runway

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 am

Details of PNQ expansion plans

As part of expansion plans, the airport will have new terminal building, two-three bays for dedicated cargo processing and ramp for freight aircraft and dedicated access road and parking. Another cargo collection centre will come up in the city to augment cargo handling capacity. An MoU has been signed with the IAF for 15 acre which will be used for the cargo terminal and cargo parking.

https://www.financialexpress.com/econom ... o/1301748/

unrave
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am

Finally there is some realistic timeline from an official source for the completion of Navi Mumbai airport: September 2021
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ec ... 861755.ece

DTWLAX

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 am

unrave wrote:

As part of expansion plans, the airport will have new terminal building, two-three bays for dedicated cargo processing and ramp for freight aircraft and dedicated access road and parking. Another cargo collection centre will come up in the city to augment cargo handling capacity. An MoU has been signed with the IAF for 15 acre which will be used for the cargo terminal and cargo parking.

Still no extension of the runway and taxiways to accomodate widebody aircraft.

lightsaber

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:36 am

DTWLAX wrote:
unrave wrote:

Still no extension of the runway and taxiways to accomodate widebody aircraft.

Is that worthwhile? BOM isn't that far. I'd like to see a separate airport. But if PDX can share with the military... PNQ could too.

Lightsaber

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos