Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCHATC422
Topic Author

F9 Expands to 6 new cities from RSW in Nov 18

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Just announced that F9 will expand to 6 new cities from RSW in November.

Added: ALB, LAS, PHX, PWM, SLC, and SYR.

Nothing on Frontier's Facebook page yet but it was on RSW's Facebook page first and no official start date in November.

Any info? Any other cities being added on F9 from ALB and SYR?

MIflyer12

Re: F9 Expands to 6 new cities from RSW in Nov 18

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:10 pm

PWM-RSW non-stop, you say? Wow, that sounds like a thin market. PWM doesn't even sustain year-round non-stop to Orlando.

SCHATC422
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:13 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
PWM-RSW non-stop, you say? Wow, that sounds like a thin market. PWM doesn't even sustain year-round non-stop to Orlando.

You aren't kidding. If PWM can't sustain year round nonstop to MCO on WN, I don't see PWM-RSW working for sure, like a lot of other F9 routes they announce and then cancel 3 months later.

Looks like ALB only got RSW. So it'll be just seasonal DEN, RSW and MCO from ALB all together.

727LOVER

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:40 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

You aren't kidding. If PWM can't sustain year round nonstop to MCO on WN, I don't see PWM-RSW working for sure, like a lot of other F9 routes they announce and then cancel 3 months later.

Looks like ALB only got RSW. So it'll be just seasonal DEN, RSW and MCO from ALB all together.

Well, 7Q flies PWM-MLB/SRQ/VRB year round....FOR NOW...never know with them...also, they're not cheap.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

lat41

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Maybe PWM is not so far fetched. A ton of people in New England spend time or have Winter places in that part of FL. Frontier may be able to pull some back up that have been using BOS and pluck some more off the WN connecting flights from PWM and MHT. They have come up with odder flights than this! After the 1st of May, the traffic starts to collapse.

azstar

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:57 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Frontier is the least stable airline out there, in terms of route sustainability. It seems that they throw darts at a board, give it a try and a few months later are gone in a puff of smoke, ready to move on to the next expermental route. FYI, looks like they're coming back to Tucson for the third or fourth time.

joeblow10

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:04 pm

I’m sure the PWM add is in response to their other PWM added routes that apparently have been selling like hot cakes (DEN and MCO at least, I don’t know about RDU).

Whether it sticks is another story, but F9 seems to be the master of turning 50 PDEW markets into sustainable ones (if they succeed at first)

ScottB

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:10 pm

lat41 wrote:
Maybe PWM is not so far fetched. A ton of people in New England spend time or have Winter places in that part of FL. Frontier may be able to pull some back up that have been using BOS and pluck some more off the WN connecting flights from PWM and MHT. They have come up with odder flights than this! After the 1st of May, the traffic starts to collapse.

November is a bit early, though. There will be a couple of spikes in traffic for Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year's, and then the flights will be EMPTY until winter school vacation week in late February. Then traffic will be decent while the Red Sox have spring training in Fort Myers and through spring school vacation in mid-April. After that traffic falls off the cliff.

Not sure I see the point of connecting SLC, LAS, or PHX to RSW, though.

Fex180

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:17 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
I’m sure the PWM add is in response to their other PWM added routes that apparently have been selling like hot cakes (DEN and MCO at least, I don’t know about RDU).

Whether it sticks is another story, but F9 seems to be the master of turning 50 PDEW markets into sustainable ones (if they succeed at first)

DEN has been been extremely popular, RDU has been mixed and MCO seems to be selling well but it hasn't started yet. PWM-MCO has been extended 4x weekly through February, and Florida points are the single most popular requested route from PWM. Not really a stretch at all.

F9LASDEN

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:21 pm

727LOVER wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Well, 7Q flies PWM-MLB/SRQ/VRB year round....FOR NOW...never know with them...also, they're not cheap.

F9 is year round on PWM-MCO. Just recently launched, of course, so the long-term prospects of the route are kind of up in the air (due to F9's track record of quickly entering and exiting markets) but as of now they have it slated to run through the rest of the summer, the fall and the winter (at least as far as mid-February, which is as far out as F9's schedule goes at the moment).
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 pm

lat41 wrote:
Maybe PWM is not so far fetched. A ton of people in New England spend time or have Winter places in that part of FL.

Anybody want to compare PWM-RSW PDEWs to PWM-MCO? I doubt it's even a 1/4.

RobertS975

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Why do you assume that this will be year round? The PVD-RSW route launched last Fall was discontinued the day after Easter in April.

RobertS975

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Why do you assume that this will be year round? The PVD-RSW route launched last Fall was discontinued the day after Easter in April.

I am assuming that PVD-RSW is returning this Fall... anyone know when that starts up?

QueenoftheSkies

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:36 pm

lat41 wrote:

It’s really not. When I worked for JB raw we had a lot of bags tagged to pwm via jfk. It was one of the most popular connecting cities along with Rochester.

Frontier14

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:52 pm

joeblow10 wrote:

Under the current F9 management direction, I would be hesitant to call any Frontier routes "year round". They all should be labeled seasonal as that is F9's way of culling flights that do not meet their revenue requirements. If initial sales do not meet their quota, the route will be cancelled before it starts. There is no lapse time for a route to develop.

Hopefully, these new routes from RDU to the northeast cities will be successful. Come 2019 look for Frontier to make some more big route splash announcements as their dozen and a half new aircraft come on line. :stretch:

Frontier 14

joeljack

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:54 pm

OMA-RSW returns as well and is now loaded. 2x weekly Wed and Sat.

SurfandSnow

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Wow!!! Looks like my longtime dream of nonstop LAX-RSW is one step closer to reality. I sure hope these new Western routes do well...lots of young adults raised in the Midwest and East but now living in the West have parents and grandparents that retired to Southwest Florida.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

F9LASDEN

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

Among other surprises within this announcement, I'm surprised that SLC-RSW came before SLC-MCO, and that they're launching PHX-RSW after dropping PHX-MCO. I don't know much about either market, but it seems MCO would be a bigger market than RSW. The fact that they would face competition from multiple airlines on both routes (DL and B6 on SLC-MCO and AA and WN on PHX-MCO) may play a role in these decisions though

teneriffe77

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:44 pm

I just looked on Frontier's website and it shows for SYR-RSW 3x a week on 247 starting 11/15

Balloonchaser

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 pm

KISP-KRSW also resumes with a A321

tjwgrr

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 pm

joeljack wrote:
OMA-RSW returns as well and is now loaded. 2x weekly Wed and Sat.

As does GRR-RSW 4x per week Mon/ Wed/ Fri/ Sat
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

lat41

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 am

RobertS975 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

And just before the April Spring vacation peak!

RL757PVD

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:36 am

PVD-RSW 2x has been loaded in for Nov onward for week now, my guess is more stuff will trickle in.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

n7371f

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:52 am

The current F9 is in the business of trying to fly routes where people want to fly - and are currently priced out. DEN-TUS in the winter is a solid market. Hell even the 1994-95 version of F9 got good loads Dec-Mar. It was the rest of the year that were awful.

You check the "low fare" airline Southwest on DEN-TUS? I'd expect an upgrade with what they're charging on many days.

Maybe F9 comes in for 3 months and leaves. Yeah it's frustrating to the AvGeeks but it's what they do. And it ain't gonna change...

azstar wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Frontier is the least stable airline out there, in terms of route sustainability. It seems that they throw darts at a board, give it a try and a few months later are gone in a puff of smoke, ready to move on to the next expermental route. FYI, looks like they're coming back to Tucson for the third or fourth time.

isp2

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 am

Look for a similarly sized announcement in TPA in a few hours as RSW today, along with announcement of reopening FLL.

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

Indeed, TPA-SYR/-PWM are both bookable at 3/weekly.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 am

727LOVER wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Frontier starts MCO-PWM this week, too. Tomorrow, I think?

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

To be fair, no other Florida routes have ever been tried year round from PWM, with the exception of MCO (with B6) about eight years ago and, Elite's flights, which have been popular. Florida destinations are the most popular destinations out of PWM after NYC and Washington airports.

There are many people in Maine that split time between here and Florida, as well as all the vacationers. Those coming north in summer, and those going south during winter.

It will be interesting to see how another Florida from route other than MCO will pan out? Sure, it's nice for families to have a quick option to get to Disenyworld, but there's quite a few people up here that need to go to other places in Flroda besides than MCO. Those traverlers have never had the chance to go non-stop.

tjwgrr

More F9 route announcements

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:56 pm

GRR-PHX begins November 16 - 2x / week
GRR-TPA begins November 15 - 3x / week

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county ... 1353919181

Also TPA to CLT, GSP, ORF, PWM, and SYR
and PHX to MSN, RSW, ORF, and RDU

An active dart board at F9 HQ this week.
Last edited by tjwgrr on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

ScottB

Re: More F9 route announcements

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 pm

These seem like better-aimed darts than most. I can see a fair amount of demand to escape the Western Michigan winter.

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another announcement tomorrow
ORD & IND

AA & DL

FSDan

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

It's so hard to stay on top of what F9's route network looks like... A constantly shifting picture.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

msycajun

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm

I've now seen a few different small announcements, but has there been a press release that includes all of the recently added routes? I can't seem to find one.

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 pm

What I've seen so far:

TPA-CLT
TPA-GRR
TPA-GSP
TPA-ORF
TPA-PWM
TPA-SYR

PHX-GRR
PHX-MSN
PHX-ORF
PHX-RSW

DEN-TUS

RSW-ALB
RSW-LAS
RSW-PHX
RSW-PWN
RSW-SLC
RSW-SYR

azstar

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:18 pm

It's so hard to stay on top of what F9's route network looks like... A constantly shifting picture.

Tucson Denver is back. I think this is third or fourth re-entry into this market.

Frontier14

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:34 pm

azstar wrote:

Tucson Denver is back. I think this is third or fourth re-entry into this market.

The DEN-TUS market will be most likely just for the winter months and will be a tough sell against WN.

Frontier 14

RDUDDJI

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 pm

azstar wrote:

I have this image of their route planning group trying to staple jello to the wall while eating a soup sandwich. :D
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

F9LASDEN

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

azstar wrote:

This is their first attempt in the market as a ULCC though. They last served Tucson in 2012. They have recently reentered a lot of markets out of DEN that they pulled out of during the transition to ULCC in 2013 (GEG, SJC, FAT, ABQ, JAC are a few I know of off the top of my head) and they all seem to be doing at least somewhat well (based mostly on my own uneducated observations, I don't have any numbers to back that claim up). Hopefully TUS does at least somewhat well too.

TUSDawg23

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Between SY starting seasonal service to MSP and now F9 back to DEN seasonally, it is nice to see some ULCC activity again at TUS. It would be nice to get NK and G4 here as well.

flyfresno

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:36 pm

TUSDawg23 wrote:
Between SY starting seasonal service to MSP and now F9 back to DEN seasonally, it is nice to see some ULCC activity again at TUS. It would be nice to get NK and G4 here as well.

I have always been surprised that G4 doesn’t have at least TUS-LAS, but at least SouthWest does it 4X per day. Believe me, a lot of airports who have only G4 service to LAS would gladly trade it for only SouthWest...

cledaybuck

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:48 pm

PHX-RSW? AA and WN don’t even fly this, do they?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Frontier14

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
PHX-RSW? AA and WN don’t even fly this, do they?

Like has been said, it is a dart board for F9. Who knows, it may make $$$$$ where no one would expect...........

Frontier 14

ScottB

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 pm

flyfresno wrote:
I have always been surprised that G4 doesn’t have at least TUS-LAS, but at least SouthWest does it 4X per day. Believe me, a lot of airports who have only G4 service to LAS would gladly trade it for only SouthWest...

I think it's very hard for ULCCs to compete against WN in short-haul markets. They have to price quite a bit below WN due to WN's usual advantage of schedule and included checked/carry-on bags, but the base fare are already fairly low; i.e. advance purchase on WN for TUS-LAS is around $75 each way. They're probably not going to make money charging $25 each way, and they'd have to go even lower if they ended up in a fare war with WN.

flyfresno

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 pm

ScottB wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

I think it's very hard for ULCCs to compete against WN in short-haul markets. They have to price quite a bit below WN due to WN's usual advantage of schedule and included checked/carry-on bags, but the base fare are already fairly low; i.e. advance purchase on WN for TUS-LAS is around $75 each way. They're probably not going to make money charging $25 each way, and they'd have to go even lower if they ended up in a fare war with WN.

This is a good point. Are there any routes out of LAS that G4 directly competes with WN on?

jetmatt777

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm

flyfresno wrote:
ScottB wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

This is a good point. Are there any routes out of LAS that G4 directly competes with WN on?

G4 and WN both operate LAS-OKC.

mtnwest1979

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 pm

WN and G4 both do LAS-BOI as well.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 pm

axiom wrote:
What I've seen so far:

TPA-CLT
TPA-GRR
TPA-GSP
TPA-ORF
TPA-PWM
TPA-SYR

PHX-GRR
PHX-MSN
PHX-ORF
PHX-RSW
PHX-RDU was left off your list

DEN-TUS

RSW-ALB
RSW-LAS
RSW-PHX
RSW-PWN
RSW-SLC
RSW-SYR

Looks like PHX-RDU is bookable starting 11/15 and nonstop is 3x a week. Daily with connections thru multiple locations. Interesting since not even AA flies it, but for $59, wow.

F9LASDEN

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:49 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
axiom wrote:
What I've seen so far:

TPA-CLT
TPA-GRR
TPA-GSP
TPA-ORF
TPA-PWM
TPA-SYR

PHX-GRR
PHX-MSN
PHX-ORF
PHX-RSW
PHX-RDU was left off your list

DEN-TUS

RSW-ALB
RSW-LAS
RSW-PHX
RSW-PWN
RSW-SLC
RSW-SYR

Looks like PHX-RDU is bookable starting 11/15 and nonstop is 3x a week. Daily with connections thru multiple locations. Interesting since not even AA flies it, but for $59, wow.

PHX-RDU was announced in early June

JetBlueCLT

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Awesome! Another route from F9 out of CLT! Dare I say the word fantastic about it, some users on here find that some of us shouldn’t be excited about the little things regarding CLT service or any little addition to your home airport.

Anyhow! I think this route will do well!

Good day!
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

Balloonchaser

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 am

So is it confirmed that Frontier is opening back up KFLL?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos