planemanofnz
Topic Author

Another carrier resuming TPE - this time, BI - who next?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 am

Hi all,

BI will start a new 3x weekly BWN - TPE service on 320's from December 2018 - BI's first flight there since October 2004.

See: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -dec-2018/.

This announcement comes on the back of various other foreign airlines having resumed, or being about to resume, TPE:

- AC, from June 2017
- AF, from April 2018
- NZ, from November 2018

What do you think spurred BI to launch TPE, and will the route be sustainable this time around? Who will be next? QF?

Cheers,

C.

FA9295

Re: Another carrier resuming TPE - this time, BI - who next?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 am

I wouldn't be too surprised to see QF run an A330 on SYD-TPE.

Also maybe Qatar to DOH...?

Ethiopian to ADD (maybe with a stop at a different airport)...?

planemanofnz
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 am

FA9295 wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised to see QF run an A330 on SYD-TPE.

Me too - most Asian flights ex-SYD can support at least two airlines, including flights to more secondary cities, like SYD - SGN / CGK / MNL / KUL / BKK, so I don't see why SYD - TPE should be any different. If QF doesn't do SYD - TPE, I could see BR doing it instead.

Cheers,

C.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 am

The biggest Taiwanese ethnic market in Australia is BNE- the only port BR maintained after closing SYD/MEL/AKL.

As for BI... they have excess A320 capacity and for whatever reason extended the lease on the ceo aircraft that were supposed to be replaced one-for-one with the neo's. Honestly I don't know what they're thinking, but I did hear relaunching BWN-BNE will be later rather than sooner, if at all.
Is BWN-TPE sustainable, probably not, but the only 2 routes in the BI network that are sustainable are BWN-SIN/KUL.

JustSomeDood

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 am

eta unknown wrote:
The biggest Taiwanese ethnic market in Australia is BNE- the only port BR maintained after closing SYD/MEL/AKL.

I find it hard to believe that TPE-SYD and TPE-MEL can't support 2/day and 1/day when HKG-SYD and HKG-MEL is running 7/day and (more than) 4/day respectively. Regardless of ethnic concentration.

planemanofnz
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am

eta unknown wrote:

You do realize that VFR is only one market segment, right? There are things like business, freight and tourism traffic too (among others), which SYD would arguably perform as well as, or superior to, BNE on. Further, times have changed since BR withdrew from other Australasian ports, and QF withdrew from TPE - all markets segments have grown, and are continuing to grow; it would be naive for BR and/or QF to ignore this with a SYD - TPE service, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

eta unknown wrote:
As for BI... they have excess A320 capacity...

They could have deployed that spare capacity to a number of other destinations (PEK, CAN, SZX, HAN, PUS, PER, etc) - the fact is, they chose TPE, and that's why I asked about their rationale for doing so (over other destinations). Bilateral trade between Taiwan and Brunei is very volatile, dropping by almost 2/3rds in 2016, but doubling in 2017 (which even then, was still only half that of the high recorded in 2014). I wonder if geopolitics has anything to do with this? Brunei has claims in the South China Sea, and may be trying to distance itself from the PRC, in light of the PRC's expansionary activities (against Brunei's wishes) in that region?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:53 am

JustSomeDood wrote:
I find it hard to believe that TPE-SYD and TPE-MEL can't support 2/day and 1/day when HKG-SYD and HKG-MEL is running 7/day and (more than) 4/day respectively. Regardless of ethnic concentration.

CI has flown twice daily to SYD in recent times, but AFAIK, pulled this back to about 10x weekly or so in peak periods, so double daily may not yet be sustainable. On MEL, CI is growing that market rapidly this NW season by 1) dropping the CHC tag (which had taken up some seats on MEL - TPE), and 2) using the 77W (over the historically used 333).

Cheers,

C.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am

planemanofnz wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

You do realize that VFR is only one market segment, right? There are things like business, freight and tourism traffic too (among others), which SYD would arguably perform as well as, or superior to, BNE on. Further, times have changed since BR withdrew from other Australasian ports, and QF withdrew from TPE - all markets segments have grown, and are continuing to grow; it would be naive for BR and/or QF to ignore this with a SYD - TPE service, but that's just my opinion.
Cheers,
C.

I forgot that you know all the answers all the time. I also forgot that a moderator lectured you about your behaviour in another thread... my bad.

juliuswong

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:15 am

A little bit of history on Royal Brunei operation to Taipei: BI first flew to Taipei in 1986 after the arrival of three B757-2M6. Initially, it was direct route but in 1990s some flight was via Singapore, although the direct flight remained. The indirect route was dropped circa 2000s and Taipei was fully suspended in late 2004.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

frank1991

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:43 pm

GA! Maybe they'll be back on the CGK-TPE.. or DPS-TPE

ZK-NBT

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 pm

QF codeshare with CI, I’m not sure I see them returning to TPE, maybe a seasonal to increase codeshare capacity ex SYD?

BR haven’t flown to SYD for a long time either, MEL even longer, AKL also was the last to be dropped in 2008 in this part of the world.

zakuivcustom

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:09 pm

JustSomeDood wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Much stronger economic tie between Australia and HK (Some of it leftover from the British colonial days), including a fair amount of Aussie expats. Also, there are twice the amount of HKer in Australia (~80k) compare to Taiwanese (~40k), which is impressive consider that there are only 7+ million people in HK, while Taiwan has ~23M people. HK can also take mainland Chinese traffic (Less so now with the gajillion non-stops) and to lesser extent, Europe traffic, to/from Australia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos