Dominion301

Re: United updating brand with new colors

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 am

downdata wrote:
Looks like virgin..

In other words “Like a Virgin” ;)

2020 sounds like a good time for the tulip to make its triumphant return.

iahcsr

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:10 am

Dominion301 wrote:
downdata wrote:
Looks like virgin..

All the new stuff has had new, rather nice, variations of the globe, so I wouldn’t buy a tulip farm just yet.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

LawAndOrder

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
Atlantic Amethyst is an ugly color...
The rest of the palette is bland.

There is always someone who hates whatever is suggested.

As for the purple and UA ripping off DL...well maybe DL ripped off VS, see their palate in their cabin.

Or maybe Delta owns 49 percent of VS and are aligning their brands. They have joint branding at key airports. It would make sense that they align. I wouldn't say UA copied, but it is a bit weird. I have if Delta does make changes that it isn't so literal in their use of tertiary colors. Glad to see airlines color stories expanded from their main color or two. Would be interesting to see what Delta would do if they officially added "passport plum".

TW870

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:29 am

Love the new color palette. I worked for sUA when we introduced the "decor of 5" concept - when we began removing the old vertically striped coach seats and reworking the brand around five shades of blue, gray, and lavender. The problem with those colors is that they were bland. These colors will pop much more.

Overall, though, I am always surprised they don't re-brand. United has so many things going for it, but the last decade has been a mess. Especially with the flight attendant group finally coming together, it would be fantastic to have a fresh start. No globe, no tulip, just something toward the future.

boeing737max

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:37 am

TW870 wrote:
Love the new color palette. I worked for sUA when we introduced the "decor of 5" concept - when we began removing the old vertically striped coach seats and reworking the brand around five shades of blue, gray, and lavender. The problem with those colors is that they were bland. These colors will pop much more.

Overall, though, I am always surprised they don't re-brand. United has so many things going for it, but the last decade has been a mess. Especially with the flight attendant group finally coming together, it would be fantastic to have a fresh start. No globe, no tulip, just something toward the future.

Perfectly said there at the end.. Couldn’t agree with you more. United needs a completely fresh start with their design.

rbavfan

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 am

LAXintl wrote:
For instance, new Premium Purple and Atlantic Amethyst can be seen in PremiumPlus seat

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfmlBPpUYAUcTm_.jpg

Not really, the Amethyst is much lighter color than that on the premium seat. Or is the color balance of the photo off?

rbavfan

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 am

LAXintl wrote:
For instance, new Premium Purple and Atlantic Amethyst can be seen in PremiumPlus seat

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfmlBPpUYAUcTm_.jpg

Not really, the Amethyst is much lighter color than that on the premium seat. Or is the color balance of the photo off?

rbavfan

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:47 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
It's so interesting to me that when one airline does one thing (purple á la Delta), others follow suit. So now 2 of the US3 will have purple uniforms. Quite funny to me. Surely this is the result of some survey or study which shows people responding positively to the color purple? While I applaud UA for attempting a much needed rebrand, I can't help but feel like this is a Delta ripoff.

If they are using shades of purple and blue and people claim thye are copying someone, I would say they copied Hawaiian, not Delta.

BoeingGuy

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 am

Yonderlust wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Will this lead to a new livery?

God, let's hope! Of the 3 US legacy carriers, United and Delta need to do a 90° turn.

I’m with you on this one. There was a lot of criticism of AA’s new livery, but I think it’s by far the best of the US3. It has grown on me.

AS is the best livery in the US IMO. WN is so gaudy, it’s kind of cool.

downdata

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am

Look guys its a UA(VA) 777 :lol:

UAL777UK

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am

AaronPGH wrote:
Delta invented purple

Err, you clearly have not flown on VS, the airline DL has invested heavily in. They have had purple for years, well before DL was on the block.

strfyr51

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am

dbo861 wrote:

The Rhapsody in Blue Was a Paint Scheme. The Carpet was dark Grey with red and grey Specs woven in, The Seats Were Grey with designs down the center.in Blue Gret and Orange in vertical stripes. there was never a "Rhapsody in Blue" Interior That we implemented..

bgm

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 am

Until they address their biggest problem, being the awful customer service levels, this is all window dressing. Improving the attitude of their staff (GA/FAs etc) to be more customer focused/driven would be a true improvement.
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

intotheair

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:03 am

This looks like they're de-emphasizing the gold/yellow. I always thought that one of the few bright spots of inheriting CO's visual identity was the use of navy and gold.

I actually do really like the refreshes they've been doing otherwise, especially with the Polaris cabin. The new website looks really bland though.

I would still be shocked to see if UA were to unveil a new livery anytime in the next 3-5 years. It just doesn't feel like the right time just yet. There's a lot they need to sort out before getting to that point. I will take a shot of jet fuel if I'm proven wrong.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

mm320cap

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am

Etheereal wrote:
No matter how much rebranding they do, as long as OM is their CEO and UA has that PR, they aint going nowhere.

Hahahahah!! You might want to check the July traffic numbers. And their stock performance

Cointrin330

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am

UA is undergoing a significant turnaround operationally and from the perspective of profitability and finally it seems the merger debacles are (almost) behind it. The brand could definitely use a bit of a refresh and it seems UA is making subtle, but noticeable changes. The Polaris lounge look and feel is one of this examples. The Polaris cabin look is another. The crew are getting new uniforms (a good thing, since what they wear now is definitely boring and judging from my last two flights with UA, a little all over the place). The cabin interiors are tidy, if a bit bland beyond the Polaris retrofits and the leather seating in economy, so adding some color makes sense. The livery dates back to 1991. It's bland but it still looks crisp enough. It seems the industry as a whole has shifted from the branding outside of the plane to the interiors of all their offerings and that probably makes most sense. Repainting 700+ aircraft is really expensive and time consuming. UA is probably doing the right thing by focusing more on the customer user experience.

FlightLevel360

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am

aeromoe wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
Somewhat on the same note, I saw that United is now using a different font for its registration numbers on both newly delivered and repainted aircraft.

I'm not seeing it...can you provide specific comparison examples? For example, I looked at photos of a couple 737 Max of UA and the registration font looks the same as other older types.

Thanks

The 737 MAX to me seems to have the old font, but it is an exception. Since the 77Ws were introduced, I've seen this font gradually being applied to both sCO and sUA aircraft.
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/keyword/N823UA
Here's the JetPhotos archive of N823UA, which was painted earlier this year. Compare the first photo to any of the others and look closely. The font has be made a little less bold. Additionally, for sCO aircraft, there's a tag that says "Operated by CALA014A" just below the registration. I'm not sure what that really means, but it seems to have been removed from aircraft that bear it after repainting.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

Polot

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
FlightLevel360 wrote:
Somewhat on the same note, I saw that United is now using a different font for its registration numbers on both newly delivered and repainted aircraft.

I'm not seeing it...can you provide specific comparison examples? For example, I looked at photos of a couple 737 Max of UA and the registration font looks the same as other older types.

Thanks

The 737 MAX to me seems to have the old font, but it is an exception. Since the 77Ws were introduced, I've seen this font gradually being applied to both sCO and sUA aircraft.
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/keyword/N823UA
Here's the JetPhotos archive of N823UA, which was painted earlier this year. Compare the first photo to any of the others and look closely. The font has be made a little less bold. Additionally, for sCO aircraft, there's a tag that says "Operated by CALA014A" just below the registration. I'm not sure what that really means, but it seems to have been removed from aircraft that bear it after repainting.

The Operated by CALA014A tag is leftover from when CO was around. Airlines are required to have the name of the operating carrier on the aircraft, so when the Continental planes were given United titles (but still operating as CO) that was added to fulfill the regulatory requirements. Now that CO doesn’t exist anymore and everything is UA that is no longer necessary so they are removed.

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
Atlantic Amethyst is an ugly color...
The rest of the palette is bland.

As for the purple and UA ripping off DL...well maybe DL ripped off VS, see their palate in their cabin.

Or maybe Delta owns 49 percent of VS and are aligning their brands. They have joint branding at key airports. It would make sense that they align. I wouldn't say UA copied, but it is a bit weird. I have if Delta does make changes that it isn't so literal in their use of tertiary colors. Glad to see airlines color stories expanded from their main color or two. Would be interesting to see what Delta would do if they officially added "passport plum".

This whole line of discussion is senseless. No one is copying brand/identity. It’s a color.

SteelChair

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

My thought is too many changes is too short of a time. Its almost like they have people who feel the need to justiy their existence....changes for changes sake.

Imho UAL would be better served to continue to focus on the operational improvement they have made recently, and continue them, grow tbe gap with AA and beat DL.

PlanesNTrains

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

SteelChair wrote:
My thought is too many changes is too short of a time. Its almost like they have people who feel the need to justiy their existence....changes for changes sake.

Imho UAL would be better served to continue to focus on the operational improvement they have made recently, and continue them, grow tbe gap with AA and beat DL.

1. UA has arguably the oldest “image” of any of the majors. Some might call it stale. This isn’t “too many changes” - it’s just refreshing the color palette.

2. I’m pretty comfortable guessing that the people focused on operations are not the same people focused on branding. They are more than capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

CALAV8R

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 pm

gonnagetbumpy wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
winginit wrote:
"Alright then folks... what color should we add into the mix?"

"Delta just rolled out dark purple uniforms..."

"Dark purple it is then!"

The decision to include purple (and the other colors) is literally a years-long project. As noted, Premium Plus already wears the purple color. This has absolutely zero to do with Delta.

Delta introduced purple nearly two years ago. I
Also think the ‘globe’ pattern they use on the Polaris table cloth and dish ware look very cheap; you would never see that in a five star restaurant. I just don’t see or get ‘who’ United is trying to be.

And United had purple in their palates back then as well. When UA first re-introduced their free snacks in Economy (early 2016), one of the first snacks was branded in a Purple shade that eventually was labeled "premium purple". Previous versions of their amenity kits had purple inner linings.

I also really like the branded dishware. Using deconstructed elements of their logo is a good way at making a distinctly personalized product. The way I see it the airline is in the middle of a brand transition & while it may look messy in the interim, UA is committed to the globe as a motif, but it's trying to utilize it in an evolved sense.

https://ibb.co/bU4AT9
Last edited by CALAV8R on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blockski

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 pm

SteelChair wrote:

It's not like UAL is one person with limited attention span. It's a large company with many employees; those employees all have special skills. The marketing and communications folks can work on evolving their brand image at the same time as their operational folks work on improving things on their end.

flyingclrs727

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
downdata wrote:
Looks like virgin..

United's management will be tiptoeing through the tulip issue.

TVNWZ

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Are you going to get me there on time? Yes? Well then, nice colors.

Dominion301

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
downdata wrote:
Looks like virgin..

United's management will be tiptoeing through the tulip issue.

LOL nice one!

AaronPGH

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:
Delta invented purple

Err, you clearly have not flown on VS, the airline DL has invested heavily in. They have had purple for years, well before DL was on the block.

No way man. Delta literally created purple for the first time

LawAndOrder

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

This whole line of discussion is senseless. No one is copying brand/identity. It’s a color.

Because you do not agree is senseless? Did you come up with the new colors? Take a stroll over to Delta.com you will see the Delta's dark blue

1) Delta Dark blue (website lead color)= Rhapsody blue,
2) Delta blue (found on Delta planes) = United blue
3) Delta light blue (found in blankets and diveders for atleast 4 years now) = sky blue blue
4) Groundspeed Graphite (darkened before roll out) = Runwat Grey
5) Passport plum = premium purple
Only differences
6) Traveling thistle (light pinkish white) = Pacific blue (im sure this will be in the shirt or new dress as is traveling thistle)
7) Delta Red and Dark red counter their plum = united decided to counter premium purple with a lighter purple
8) Skyline Slate (dark grey) = Dark grey seen throughout united now

I am not saying UA copied but you have to admit there are some crazy similiarties. Delta Vir,gin Atlantic and Virgin Australia are aligning. Look at AF new kits they are also brining in similiar colors. The premium seats just came out on United, well after the Delta passport plum was released. They had atleast a year to change the seat color. In marketing and brand why would you want a color so close to a direct competitor is all im asking. I am excited though for the new colors regardless. I love when brands refresh, and I think in te next few years the airport halls will be a lot more colorful with all the airlines stepping their game up!

evank516

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Yonderlust wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

God, let's hope! Of the 3 US legacy carriers, United and Delta need to do a 90° turn.

There are way too many people who will disagree with you about Delta's livery. The widget is very much loved by many here. However it seems everyone misses the 80s-mid-90s widget the most.

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

Because you do not agree is senseless? Did you come up with the new colors? Take a stroll over to Delta.com you will see the Delta's dark blue

3) Delta light blue (found in blankets and diveders for atleast 4 years now) = sky blue blue
Only differences
6) Traveling thistle (light pinkish white) = Pacific blue (im sure this will be in the shirt or new dress as is traveling thistle)
7) Delta Red and Dark red counter their plum = united decided to counter premium purple with a lighter purple

I am not saying UA copied but you have to admit there are some crazy similiarties. Delta Vir,gin Atlantic and Virgin Australia are aligning. Look at AF new kits they are also brining in similiar colors. The premium seats just came out on United, well after the Delta passport plum was released. They had atleast a year to change the seat color. In marketing and brand why would you want a color so close to a direct competitor is all im asking. I am excited though for the new colors regardless. I love when brands refresh, and I think in te next few years the airport halls will be a lot more colorful with all the airlines stepping their game up!

No, I don’t think there is anything to admit other than the fact that these are colors. The three majors all have blue in their schemes. Two of them have red. Southwest has that purple color. And Marketing people like to mix up their color palettes. There is nothing special about DL and UA using purple. It’s barely even a coincidence. It’s like saying it’s a coincidence that DL and UA both have planes made with aluminum.

Etheereal

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 pm

mm320cap wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
No matter how much rebranding they do, as long as OM is their CEO and UA has that PR, they aint going nowhere.

Hahahahah!! You might want to check the July traffic numbers. And their stock performance

You're missing the point. They do fine, because US cattle loves to fly on low prices as long as they cant feel their legs long enough.

As much rebranding as UA does, smart people do know what kind of airline they are, specially with having OM as their chief.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

IADCA

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:
Delta invented purple

No way man. Delta literally created purple for the first time

I know, it's amazing. For millennia, people had just thought there was blue, and then there was red. Throughout my youth, watching Minnesota Vikings games and then attending Northwestern, I felt an emptiness stemming from my inability to put a name to that pleasing blended hue I saw around me. I didn't know then that all I needed to do was ask someone in Atlanta, where the color had been cooked up and from which it was now spreading faster than a Cobb County subdivision. But then, somewhere near a sign about flying someone or another's jets, somebody was all like "Blue! Red! Bred...um..Rue!...um...durrr...pur...ple...Purple!"

You have to give them credit. The last time someone in Atlanta created something by combining two other things (it resulted in a fizzy brown drink), they just named it by hyphenating the names of the two characteristic ingredients. And nobody would pay premium prices to sit in a cabin with blue-red headrests, so "purple" it was.

kjeld0d

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Those are some strange 80s pastel color choices...

OA412

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm honestly tired of cleaning up UA threads. I suggest you all take a moment, step back, and start acting like adults. If you can't help but take the bait, then please place the offender on your ignore list. Similarly, if you can't handle criticism of your employer/favorite airline, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Responding to already off-topic commentary with further off-topic commentary does nothing but create more work for the moderators when we have to go through and clean up threads. Further childish and off-topic back and forth will result in warnings and/or bans.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LawAndOrder

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Only differences

No, I don’t think there is anything to admit other than the fact that these are colors. The three majors all have blue in their schemes. Two of them have red. Southwest has that purple color. And Marketing people like to mix up their color palettes. There is nothing special about DL and UA using purple. It’s barely even a coincidence. It’s like saying it’s a coincidence that DL and UA both have planes made with aluminum.

Marketing people like to mix up the cooor palette, lol are you serious? Do you really think that is how that happens. That last sentence is reaching, but with your screen name I can understand why you would think United is just using colors frivolously.

fightforlove

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm

I like where United are going with the new pallet based on various shades of blue. Hopefully they've got a new livery in the works that will feature some beautiful shades of blue, maybe a new take on the Globe, or a whole new logo.

mcdu

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm

fightforlove wrote:
I like where United are going with the new pallet based on various shades of blue. Hopefully they've got a new livery in the works that will feature some beautiful shades of blue, maybe a new take on the Globe, or a whole new logo.

The only problem with a new paint scheme will be the same group of people from this thread gnashing their teeth will be saying how bad the new scheme looks. Even if UA put it to a vote of the FF group the minions would still heckle.

I’ve never been able to see the paint scheme from inside the jet.

KLDC10

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I can see a couple of problems here. First, the apparent "piecemeal" approach to rebranding - the introduction of the new blue domestic economy seats, followed by Polaris (also heavily based in blue). But the oddest thing of all is the introduction of the "swoosh" scheme on new 737MAX deliveries only to then de-emphasize yellow in the brand and perhaps even come out with a whole new paint scheme. A complete rebrand is the best option, because the process allows for consideration of how the revised brand will work across all platforms - it's simply no good introducing a new website, then some new color palettes and then eventually coming up with an aircraft livery. The brand should be properly integrated. Whether you like the new American livery or not (and personally I think the rebrand was not executed as well as it could have been), everything was at least designed to fit together and was released to the public as one complete entity.

Secondly, I'm sorry, but there are too many colors here. Which one stands for United? This was a theme at the core of the recent Lufthansa rebrand, but which appears to have been overlooked here. An airline should define itself around two or three colors at most.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

Only differences

Marketing people like to mix up the cooor palette, lol are you serious? Do you really think that is how that happens. That last sentence is reaching, but with your screen name I can understand why you would think United is just using colors frivolously.

Yes, Brand/Identity teams sometimes change up their color palettes. Particularly their secondary/accent colors. Did you think they stay static for multiple decades?

TW870

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
I can see a couple of problems here. First, the apparent "piecemeal" approach to rebranding - the introduction of the new blue domestic economy seats, followed by Polaris (also heavily based in blue). But the oddest thing of all is the introduction of the "swoosh" scheme on new 737MAX deliveries only to then de-emphasize yellow in the brand and perhaps even come out with a whole new paint scheme. A complete rebrand is the best option, because the process allows for consideration of how the revised brand will work across all platforms - it's simply no good introducing a new website, then some new color palettes and then eventually coming up with an aircraft livery. The brand should be properly integrated. Whether you like the new American livery or not (and personally I think the rebrand was not executed as well as it could have been), everything was at least designed to fit together and was released to the public as one complete entity.

Secondly, I'm sorry, but there are too many colors here. Which one stands for United? This was a theme at the core of the recent Lufthansa rebrand, but which appears to have been overlooked here. An airline should define itself around two or three colors at most.

I do not think that piecemeal rebranding - or brand refreshing - is always bad. When started at UA in 1998, most of our materials were still using the two tone blue stripe of the tail in the Darth Vader scheme, and the capitalized, serif font from the aircraft titles. But then we gradually introduced the new cloud background with the tulip layered over it, and the blue, silver, and gold boarding passes with the cloud tulip. We ditched the goofy Shuttle graphic, and then replaced that with sans-serif all caps titles. That font then became the font for the new aircraft livery which launched I think in 2002 or 2003. Overall, that was a pretty cohesive process and updated the Darth Vader look that felt too early '90s by the end of the decade.

But I fully agree with your core point here that United needs a full rebrand. Yes it would be expensive, but I think it would be a great way to move on from the merger crisis and to maximize the value of the excellent assets they have.

LawAndOrder

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Yes, Brand/Identity teams sometimes change up their color palettes. Particularly their secondary/accent colors. Did you think they stay static for multiple decades?

Nothing happens haphazardly like that. And no company the size of United would add colors without considering its competitors. I’m certain there was a deck that outlined other brand systems. So to think colors were created in a vacuum without thought to others is ignorant.

Does anyone know if this is going to effect the entire branding system or just some accent colors for napkins, linen and uniforms?

fightforlove

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 pm

mcdu wrote:
fightforlove wrote:

The only problem with a new paint scheme will be the same group of people from this thread gnashing their teeth will be saying how bad the new scheme looks. Even if UA put it to a vote of the FF group the minions would still heckle.

I’ve never been able to see the paint scheme from inside the jet.

Well, that's the rock-and-hard-place Jeff Smisek put them in, isn't it? Bring back the Tulip and a whole other group of people will be gnashing their teeth (and probably striking) over that "new" livery. And I super miss the Tulip, but that ship sailed with the tide long ago.

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

Nothing happens haphazardly like that. And no company the size of United would add colors without considering its competitors. I’m certain there was a deck that outlined other brand systems. So to think colors were created in a vacuum without thought to others is ignorant.

Does anyone know if this is going to effect the entire branding system or just some accent colors for napkins, linen and uniforms?

I never said it was haphazard. You started by claiming UA stole DL’s super innovative purple and I don’t think there is any evidence of that. It’s a freaking color. I don’t get why people feel the need to make up these narratives.

LawAndOrder

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

I never said it was haphazard. You started by claiming UA stole DL’s super innovative purple and I don’t think there is any evidence of that. It’s a freaking color. I don’t get why people feel the need to make up these narratives.

I didn’t say they stole anything let’s start there. But there isn’t evidence that they did or didn’t. Just because your a united fan or most likely an employee doesn’t negate the fact that it’s ironic. A color is a color but brands don’t just add colors on a whim. Just like Delta didn’t just add a color.

If a color is just a color why do you think they needed to have a article written on it or a whole thread on it?

SFOtoORD

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 pm

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

I didn’t say they stole anything let’s start there. But there isn’t evidence that they did or didn’t. Just because your a united fan or most likely an employee doesn’t negate the fact that it’s ironic. A color is a color but brands don’t just add colors on a whim. Just like Delta didn’t just add a color.

If a color is just a color why do you think they needed to have a article written on it or a whole thread on it?

Not an employee. Just a person with common sense. It’s still just a color. Brands change palettes all the time. Every time they hire a new creative team or just when they need a refresh. Purple is purple. Enough said. Marketing teams love being written about. Puff piece of not.

Freshside3

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
There is no way United based purple off of Delta. Things like this are developed over years, not on whims.

But then again, UA has been known to not be the industry leader, and do copy-cat moves. So not a surprise, here, if they did.

However, they are in search of a unified identity, and purple was different than what anyone else had(up until the point Delta did it). Besides, it was a CO uniform color in the 80s-90s, of I recall correctly.

LawAndOrder

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Not an employee. Just a person with common sense. It’s still just a color. Brands change palettes all the time. Every time they hire a new creative team or just when they need a refresh. Purple is purple. Enough said. Marketing teams love being written about. Puff piece of not.

Common sense huh. Common sense will tell you that brands dont just change colors all the time. Common sense is that your name says SFOtoOrd so chances are you are biased towards an airline or two. BTW being condescending doesn't change the importance of colors in branding.

SFOtoORD

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:45 am

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

Common sense huh. Common sense will tell you that brands dont just change colors all the time. Common sense is that your name says SFOtoOrd so chances are you are biased towards an airline or two. BTW being condescending doesn't change the importance of colors in branding.

SFO and ORD are two big cities with airports where I fly a lot. Talk to any CMO about how often they make any change at all to their palettes and it’s likely at every 18-24 months. But sure keep hacking away at points that don’t exist and keep selling your UA stealing purple from DL theory.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:10 am

LawAndOrder wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LawAndOrder wrote:

Judging someone over a screen name, let alone dismissing their opinions because of it, sort of erodes your arguments. And you call him condescending?

FWIW, I’ve seen that colors come and colors go, and you see those colors resonate across brands. It isn’t like DL or VS or anyone else has dibs on them. It’s just what’s trendy.

I think that these threads sometimes are just an opportunity for people to make noise. And over a color, no less.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

KLDC10

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 am

TW870 wrote:
I do not think that piecemeal rebranding - or brand refreshing - is always bad. When started at UA in 1998, most of our materials were still using the two tone blue stripe of the tail in the Darth Vader scheme, and the capitalized, serif font from the aircraft titles. But then we gradually introduced the new cloud background with the tulip layered over it, and the blue, silver, and gold boarding passes with the cloud tulip. We ditched the goofy Shuttle graphic, and then replaced that with sans-serif all caps titles. That font then became the font for the new aircraft livery which launched I think in 2002 or 2003. Overall, that was a pretty cohesive process and updated the Darth Vader look that felt too early '90s by the end of the decade.

But I fully agree with your core point here that United needs a full rebrand. Yes it would be expensive, but I think it would be a great way to move on from the merger crisis and to maximize the value of the excellent assets they have.

I agree that it can be possible to refresh a brand from time to time without losing the core of said brand, but I'm just not sure what United is doing here. If they're working towards some sort of end product which has already been signed off and is waiting to be unveiled, then great. For me, however, the 737MAX swoosh has set alarm bells ringing. It's quite a nice update to the existing brand - but it is contradicted by the apparent desire on the part of United to move away from that brand by shelving the yellow and introducing new color palletes. Right now I'm struggling to understand the thought processes going on at the company. However, I fully respect your experience working at the company during the transition from the Battleship scheme to the rather beautiful final pre-merger scheme. As I recall, it was called "Rising Blue", right? Far too short-lived, unfortunately.

Yes, a rebrand is the best way forward. Unfortunately, whatever United does in this respect is going to upset someone. I personally have no horse in this race, but there is a lot of emotion attached to both the Continental Globe and the pmUA Tulip. Whatever UA comes out with, some people are going to be annoyed and a smaller number are going to be furious. It's a case of "pick your poison" and might go some way towards explaining the piecemeal approach being taken in order to avoid "rocking the boat" too much. Unfortunately, I do think that this has been at the expense of brand discipline and consistency. Sometimes, you just have to make a bold decision and run with it, even if some people get upset - and goodness knows, this board can be a perfect example of that ;)
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos