Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Planeflyer
Topic Author

Hypersonic commercial flight?

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 am

There was a neat article in Flight Global today outline some detail presented By Boeing on the feasibility of building a hypersonic aircraft.

Got my fingers crossed on this one.

Cunard

Re: Hypersonic commercial flight?

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:07 am

You do realise that you have started two identical posts!

Considering that you are the OP it might be a good idea if you actually gave a link to the article!

426Shadow

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:41 am

I don't understand you excitement personally. Unless you are rich, it's not going to be for you.

Planeflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 am

I apologize for starting a duplicate thread.

Here is the link:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... th-451069/

Planeflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 am

426Shadow wrote:
I don't understand you excitement personally. Unless you are rich, it's not going to be for you.

Even if you can’t afford to fly I think it’s a cool idea like Concord was.

pilotkev1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:23 am

SpaceX already has future transportation on lockdown with the BFR.

Not long now and we'll have 1x daily DXB-IAH, JFK-SYD, SFO-JNB shuttles less than 1 hr in duration carrying a payload roughly 1.5x that of an A380.

avgeekjohn

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:52 am

I read that Boeing expects that it will be many years before its hypersonic plane is ready for commercial service, so I wouldn't (at least personally) expect anything of the sort any time soon. I do know, however, that private supersonic jets are hitting the market fairly soon...

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:22 am

I have a suspicion hypersonic flight has already happened for a while now with experimental aircraft. Boeing appears to have some experience in the field and has done research on two-stage-to-orbit aircraft. Just worth wondering if that stayed as research or did the project actually become reality.

Bobloblaw

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I remember the National Aerospace Plane back in 1986, ready to fly by 1995.

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 pm

avgeekjohn wrote:
I read that Boeing expects that it will be many years before its hypersonic plane is ready for commercial service, so I wouldn't (at least personally) expect anything of the sort any time soon. I do know, however, that private supersonic jets are hitting the market fairly soon...

Depends what you mean by hitting the market. They're in various stages of development, but I wouldn't hold my breath for one being actually delivered to a customer.

Aesma

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm

pilotkev1 wrote:
SpaceX already has future transportation on lockdown with the BFR.

Not long now and we'll have 1x daily DXB-IAH, JFK-SYD, SFO-JNB shuttles less than 1 hr in duration carrying a payload roughly 1.5x that of an A380.

What do you mean by "not long" ? First, SpaceX has to make a man-rated vehicle. Then later they have to go to the FAA and sell them the idea of the BFR. How will it be certified ? What will be its safety, how do you evacuate, how do you breathe if there is a depressurization, etc. ? The idea is appealing but I don't see it happening anytime soon or "not long now".

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
I remember the National Aerospace Plane back in 1986, ready to fly by 1995.

Yes, confidently reported in Air&Space Magazine in ‘86 that we’d all be flying hypersonic airliners decades ago. It’s not happening, folks, not in anybody’s lifetime.

GF

Planeflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:49 pm

How would they manage the sonic boom issue? How intense would it be at 90k feet?

I think there is a increased likelihood of seeing such a craft given the competitive dynamics that exist today married w the groundbreaking work being done in material science.

lavalampluva

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
How would they manage the sonic boom issue? How intense would it be at 90k feet?

I think there is a increased likelihood of seeing such a craft given the competitive dynamics that exist today married w the groundbreaking work being done in material science.

Sonicbooms are why the Concorde had to fly sub-supersonic over the US. I can’t see this being anything but more intensive.

atypical

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:15 pm

It is my understanding that current hypersonic flight is limited to rocket technology and scramjets are still in the development phase. Although there have been some success in scramjet testing those successes are limited to boosting a small engine to operational speeds via rocket engines. Has anyone succeeded in testing a craft (even a small version) that has the ability to itself take off, attain hypersonic speeds, and land? Before any human usable aircraft can be built some proof of concept is required.

Utah744

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Having Greg Hyslop and hypersonic in the same sentence is a little scary.

Planeflyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 pm

atypical wrote:
It is my understanding that current hypersonic flight is limited to rocket technology and scramjets are still in the development phase. Although there have been some success in scramjet testing those successes are limited to boosting a small engine to operational speeds via rocket engines. Has anyone succeeded in testing a craft (even a small version) that has the ability to itself take off, attain hypersonic speeds, and land? Before any human usable aircraft can be built some proof of concept is required.

The article touches on the idea of using an updated turboramjet like was used on the SR71.

It also identifies m5 has being the sweet spot as they think current materials and technology can achieve this velocity.

danj555

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Another cool pick up was they have a way to keep the cabin pressurized in an explosive decompression event. Any ideas on what that means?

danj555

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Another cool pick up was they have a way to keep the cabin pressurized in an explosive decompression event. Any ideas on what that means?

jomur

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 pm

trpmb6

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 pm

danj555 wrote:

This was probably what peaked my interest the most. That and the heating of the aircraft.

My guess is some sort of bladder system. Or maybe have an inner and outer skin where both are capable of holding pressure.

I recall that the SR-71 leaked fuel on the tarmac due to gaps that were needed due to the titanium expanding at higher temps. How would they address this? Perhaps a bladder in the wing?

IFlyVeryLittle

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:41 pm

No, no and no. No hypersonic passenger planes, no blended wing airliners, no rocket planes straight out of The Man in the High Castle. Like it or not, we're stuck with tubes with two ever-more-efficient fanjets for as far as anyone can see. Development costs are just going to be too high to spread across a mass-market rollout. Sorry.

danj555

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
No, no and no. No hypersonic passenger planes, no blended wing airliners, no rocket planes straight out of The Man in the High Castle. Like it or not, we're stuck with tubes with two ever-more-efficient fanjets for as far as anyone can see. Development costs are just going to be too high to spread across a mass-market rollout. Sorry.

I sorta have to agree. However there could be a paradigm change with the electrification of flight. Aviation Week launched a huge article going into the state of the industry:

http://aviationweek.com/connected-aeros ... on-sectors

The ability to transfer energy between the different spools is very interesting.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

You are correct with current technology.

25 or 50 years from now it might actually be possible; but, would still be very expensive and I doubt within the price range of passenger aircraft.

Have a great day,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos