Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation

Re: Updated: QX employee steals and crashes Q400 near SEA

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:20 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
Finn350 wrote:
Here is the ATC recording of the chase fighters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9geutArj9ts

This was fascinating. Quick question: who is Bigfoot? I get who ROCK41 and ROCK42, as well as TOI1 and of course SEA ATC. But who is talking when it says Bigfoot?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/22 ... 0-airliner says Bigfoot is "the Western Air Defense Sector (WADS) that controls these types of intercepts".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

notaxonrotax

Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Any news on this, please?
Not sure how much there is to investigate on the ground, crash wise.
The guy had legal access to these type of aircraft and obviously had flight-deck knowledge.
Combine that with some SIM time and a somewhat disturbed mindset; and off you go go.

He obviously went outside the flight enveloppe of the aircraft, the flight data recorder will tell investigators exactly by how much.
Heck, the Voice Data Recorder may yield a few interesting final whispers.
But this is one of the few crashes of late where it is appears to be obvious what the TECHNICAL root cause of the crash has been!

The discussion of how to prevent this type of theft is interesting.
I am pessimistic when it comes to retrofit any type of electronic locks to existing aircraft; never mind the real old girls: just too cost prohibitive.
You can not "half ass" it; this system is simply not allowed to have any bugs whilst the aircraft is underway.
Perhaps in future designs a "ground mode" could be implemented; in which access to high power settings are limited to just authorised pilots and perhaps a few senior engineers.
But that still leaves you with plenty of people that have legal access; and I think quite a few others with easy (illegal) access!

Physically locking civil aprons and / or runways is just not realistic. It may work for some smaller airfields; but it`s not feasible in most places.
I`m afraid that it is quite easy to cause considerable grief for perpetrators that don`t shy away from suicidal consequences.
Rent a van / truck, or even easier in the US: buy a massive semi-automatic gun; and you´ll soon get your point across!
I know of singlehanded people who have access to large powerful ships....imagine plowing one of them into the local pier or walkway; or just colliding it with smaller passenger vessels on a river.
I think in a lot of railroad systems around the world you could still do irreparable damage by passing a red light or two; or cornering the locomotive a tad too fast.
Take your pick for a moment of fame!

My biggest concern would be a rogue passenger jet pilot; who would get rid of his / her colleague in the final stages of the flight (read: "punch") and simply fly into a high profile target before anybody would have a clue of what`s happening. How the heck do you stop THAT from happening?

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

HaveBlue

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:17 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
All the perp's time on flight sims, without any known effort to even get a PPL (think Civil Air Patrol, community college, etc.)... shows long term calculation, probably obsession, with the Q as a coffin.

I completely disagree. While I never was an a simmer except very occasionally there are tons of people who love flight simulators and are aviation enthusiasts but for various reasons don't actually go to flight school, those reasons probably include they can't afford flight training, their health precludes it, fear of heights, too old to start, etc. Loving aviation does not require you to get a PPL, not everyone that loves race car driving games wants or is able to be a NASCAR driver, there are always more fanboys than people that actually pursue the career.

I got my pilots license (PPL) back in 2001. I could just barely afford to do it, and I knew I couldn't afford to get all the time and ratings to become a career pilot so long ago I decided to just fly for a hobby, as a recreational pilot. Not everyone aspires to or can afford to do flying for a living.

My opinion is that he was suicidal for mental reasons near the end, but I don't think that the hobby of flight simming was used by him to train for that, I think it just enabled him when he finally got to that point in his life.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... m-sea-tac/

Seattle Times reporters interviews pilot who had 'run ins' with the hijacker previously over suspicious activity in the cockpit, as well as interviewing a co-worker. It is a longish article and a little confusing, but a lot of new information.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Revelation

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:55 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/pilot-became-suspicious-of-richard-russell-a-year-before-he-stole-airplane-from-sea-tac/

Seattle Times reporters interviews pilot who had 'run ins' with the hijacker previously over suspicious activity in the cockpit, as well as interviewing a co-worker. It is a longish article and a little confusing, but a lot of new information.

It says:

On a later occasion last year, Monteith said he saw Russell in the captain’s seat of another SkyWest jet joined by a fellow Horizon ramp agent, prompting him to confront them.

“To see anybody in the cockpit of one of our airplanes without a SkyWest representative present is highly unusual,” he said. “So I kind of just went over and said, ‘Hey, what are you guys doing in here?’ ”

After they told him they were training to tug the aircraft, Monteith said he told them: “You look like you’re doing more than that and don’t need to be there.”

Monteith said he didn’t report the incident at the time because “it’s kind of a delicate issue.”

We don’t have a specific security mandate saying those with clearance can’t be in a plane’s cockpit,” he said. “And if these really were legitimate guys and they’re authorized to be there, I would potentially be creating an abrasive situation.”

Looks like there needs to be a "specific security mandate"...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mxaxai

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Revelation wrote:
After they told him they were training to tug the aircraft, Monteith said he told them: “You look like you’re doing more than that and don’t need to be there.”

We don’t have a specific security mandate saying those with clearance can’t be in a plane’s cockpit,” he said. “And if these really were legitimate guys and they’re authorized to be there, I would potentially be creating an abrasive situation.”

Looks like there needs to be a "specific security mandate"...

It seems to me that having those towing the plane sitting in the cockpit itself was not the unusual part, but what they had been doing there precisely. I'm sure there would've been more concern if he had claimed to be a baggage handler, or any other job that has no reason at all to be there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos