Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Zambia Airways Is Considering Airbus Widebodies

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm

“Zambia Airways (Lusaka) is reportedly planning to acquire widebody jets from Airbus (AIB, Toulouse Blagnac) in line with its proposed launch of longhaul flights.

Minister of Transport and Communications, Brian Mushimba, told The Lusaka Times earlier this week that Zambia Airways would deploy "turboprops" for domestic Zambian and regional African flights with B737s being used to serve further off destinations such as Dubai Int'l. The Airbus, he said, will also be used to run flights to New York JFK, a route predecessor Zambia Airways (1964) (QZ, Lusaka) used to serve via Monrovia Roberts, Liberia using a DC-10-30 back in the 1980/90s.

During the same interview, Mushimba also dispelled reports that first surfaced in July last year claiming the Zambian government would acquire at least one SSJ 100/95 from Sukhoi Civil Aircraft (Zhukovsky).

“I have repeatedly refuted the Russian plane story. Not sure why it has persisted. Zambia Airways is not talking to Russia about any planes. Please take it from me. Those are conspiracy theories,” he said.

Zambia Airways is a 51/49 joint-venture between the Zambian Government and Ethiopian Airlines (ET, Addis Ababa) which is expected to launch operations in October this year. Although the latter's chief executive, Tewolde Gebremariam, has previously said that the Zambian carrier would operate Dash 8-400s and B737-800s, he has never alluded to its use of widebody aircraft.

Should the acquisition of widebody aircraft indeed prove accurate, it would fall in line with regional governments' aspirations of tapping into the aviation market where, at present, foreign operators such as Ethiopian, Kenya Airways, South African Airways, and Emirates, have near total control of local, outbound international flights.

Aside from Zambia, other countries in the region where state-owned entities are in the process of acquiring/have committed to acquiring widebodies include Tanzania (where Air Tanzania has ordered two B787-8s), Zimbabwe (where Zimbabwe Airways has acquired two B777-200(ER)s), Uganda (where Uganda Airlines is set to acquire two A330-800s in late 2020/2021), and the Democratic Republic of Congo (where Congo Airways is in the process of acquiring an A330).”

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... s-minister

mr02

Re: Zambia Airways Is Considering Airbus Widebodies

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Probably A330neo. But it must've surprised Tewolde that Zambian will purchase WB aircraft.

kjeld0d

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Isn't it "The Zambia"?

XAM2175

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

No.

RalXWB

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

Perhaps you mean The Gambia.

LGAviation

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

Which is thousands of miles to the northwest.

Back to Zambia Airways. I am confused that the Minister seems to think that it would be a great idea to launch with turboprops, Boeing and Airbus aircraft would be a wise choice. Let's hope that ET find them a more sensible solution although Ethiopian itself has a stunning fleet diversity.

In the long run though, Zambia needs longhaul flights and I think that that feed might also help with the development of local markets. Many of Zambian domestic customers especially to places like Livingstone or the mines will be overseas connecting passengers for the foreseeable future.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

hooverman

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:26 pm

LGAviation wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

Back to Zambia Airways. I am confused that the Minister seems to think that it would be a great idea to launch with turboprops, Boeing and Airbus aircraft would be a wise choice. Let's hope that ET find them a more sensible solution although Ethiopian itself has a stunning fleet diversity.

In the long run though, Zambia needs longhaul flights and I think that that feed might also help with the development of local markets. Many of Zambian domestic customers especially to places like Livingstone or the mines will be overseas connecting passengers for the foreseeable future.

They don’t “need” longhaul. JFK is a prestige route.

FlyRow

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:33 pm

i always wonder how quick african alirlines want toen go 'big' And fail soon after... Trier and tested, rarely works.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

LGAviation

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

hooverman wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
RalXWB wrote:

They don’t “need” longhaul. JFK is a prestige route.

Two things:
1. Zambia as a country needs longhaul service for its future development. Whether that will play a pivotal role in the airline's decision-making process remains to be seen with both ET and the government sharing ownership.
2. Zambia Airways as an airline certainly doesn't need service to JFK. They would however need the feed from longhaul (China, and to some extent Europe and Dubai) destinations to profitably grow their local network. You want the rich businesspeople aboard your planes and you're not going to get them solely on Lusaka-Ndola legs for instance when they could just as well fly to Ndola directly on airlines like Kenya.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

kjeld0d

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm

RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

Strange, its as though they're worried we're going to confuse it with all the other Gambias...

dopplerd

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Lusaka had non-stop service to London (BA) and Amsterdam (KML) up until 2013 and 2014 respectively. After Emirates entered the market in 2012 the price pressure was two much for the European carriers to compete with, plus Emirates had the advantage on transfers to the far east. There is no way a Lusaka based carrier, even with the support of Ethiopian, will be able to compete with EK on wide body, long haul service to Europe.

I understand the desire to have a direct connection with Europe but I think they would be better off to stick with 737-800s as their largest plane and establish a network in Sub-Saharan Africa and then expand to Europe with the 737-800s making a tech stop halfway. That way they can maintain one type for regional international flights/European flights and not have the expense of a wide body plane fleet that isn't utilized efficiently. While having a tech stop is less than ideal it is a much better way to prove a route than be stuck with the huge debt on a wide body that is woefully underutilized.

If I were fleet planning for them I would take a long look at the A220. That way they could accomplish both goals of domestic and regional international flights with one type. It would also have the range to do one stop to Europe routes. Even in a small fleet they would have commonality between the -100 and -300 so just 2 or 3 of each variant would not complicate crew planning unlike a small mixed fleet of Dash8 and 737.

Also, LUN-DBX on a 737-800 would be pretty close to the longest flight flown with that type and given the high and hot status of LUN I don't see that happening without some serious weight restrictions leaving LUN.

Judge1310

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 am

kjeld0d wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

Strange, its as though they're worried we're going to confuse it with all the other Gambias...

New York City has a borough called The Bronx and no one is confused there, so.... 8-)

alyusuph

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:57 am

The Mom is late in the game. All these African airlines might have purchased the B797 if it was offered at the moment, bad timing Boeing because the 797 could serve almost 90% of the flights expected from new African airlines.
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

Cunard

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 am

kjeld0d wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

There is only one Gambia

The smallest country on the mainland of the continent of Africa is ''The Gambia'' which is surrounded by Senegal and situated either side of the Gambia River, the nations namesake.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Cunard

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 am

It's amazing to witness this sudden rush by several African countries lately of either expansion with their current airlines, resurrecting former flag carriers, announcing new flag carriers, airlines coming off the EU blacklist, airlines ordering wide bodies, the growth of Ethiopian and it's involvement and investments in other African airlines

Those airlines that have or are about to order wide bodies for further expansion and long haul flying are,

Air Congo, A330
Air Tanzania, B787
Air Zimbabwe, 777 Returned to lessor!
Nigerian Air, A330
Rwandair, A330
Senegal Airways, A330
Sudan Airways, B777
Uganda Airlines, A330
Zambia Airways, A330

It will be like the old days all over again to see some of these African flag carriers back at LGW and I'm sure that over time we will, obviously the airport already has Rwandair which is a rather recent entrant having never previously served London.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 am

LGAviation wrote:
Back to Zambia Airways. I am confused that the Minister seems to think that it would be a great idea to launch with turboprops, Boeing and Airbus aircraft would be a wise choice.

Turboprops are the most sensible for an African startup. There are few passengers, so you want something small, or you will be flying half-empty planes. You want something cheap, reliable and simple to operate and maintain. You want something that can handle your typical African runway, often unpaved or in a really poor condition.
Passengers in Africa aren't the fussy type either. The alternative to spending 3 hours in a turboprop, will be 72 hours in a rickety bus, subject to plunder/murder by roadside thugs.

FastJet learnt the hard way that even the A319 is too big, eventually downsizing to a mix of E190s, E145s and ATR 72s. Some of the most successful airlines of Africa have been built on turboprops.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:56 am

Judge1310 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
RalXWB wrote:

New York City has a borough called The Bronx and no one is confused there, so.... 8-)

NYC has a complex where they want to feel special. We all know theres some other Bronx and Gambia out there!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cunard

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:13 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

NYC has a complex where they want to feel special. We all know theres some other Bronx and Gambia out there!

Which adds absolutely nothing to this thread where we are in discussion regarding Zambia Airways considering ordering the A330!

millionsofmiles

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:24 am

Ah...the good old days of African nationalistic pride in their airlines. Even if they weren't economically viable, it was still awesome to witness. I miss seeing DC-10s of Zambia Airways; Ghana Airwya; Air Zaire, Nigeria Airways; LAM .and Air Afrique. I always regret missing the opportunity to fly the Air Malawi VC-10 from AMS to London as a kid, and also remember visiting the East African Airways office in NYC as a kid just before the shutdown.

Cunard

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 am

Yeah I can share similar memories of seeing all those airlines DC-10's at LHR and CDG but the Air Malawi VC10 always eluded me at LGW and I never did have the opportunity to see it for real but it sure looked good.

Many of those airlines also operated the B707 and it was great to see several of them at LGW at the same time.

On an early Sunday evening in the mid 1980's at LGW you could witness more or less get a lineup of African national airlines B707's from

Air Seychelles, Air Tanzania, Air Zimbabwe, Cameroon Airlines, Sierra Leone Airways, Uganda Airlines.

I look forward to eventually seeing a few of them back at LGW sometime soon :-)

SR380
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:47 am

Cunard wrote:
It's amazing to witness this sudden rush by several African countries lately of either expansion with their current airlines, resurrecting former flag carriers, announcing new flag carriers, airlines coming off the EU blacklist, airlines ordering wide bodies, the growth of Ethiopian and it's involvement and investments in other African airlines

Those airlines that have or are about to order wide bodies for further expansion and long haul flying are,

Air Congo, A330
Air Tanzania, B787
Nigerian Air, A330
Rwandair, A330
Senegal Airways, A330
Sudan Airways, B777
Uganda Airlines, A330
Zambia Airways, A330

It will be like the old days all over again to see some of these African flag carriers back at LGW and I'm sure that over time we will, obviously the airport already has Rwandair which is a rather recent entrant having never previously served London.

I it indeed amazing to see such a revival! Do you have any source on Sudan Airways 777? I couldn’t find any lately? What about Nigeria Air?

FlyRow

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:43 pm

SR380 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Air Congo, A330
Air Tanzania, B787
Nigerian Air, A330
Rwandair, A330
Senegal Airways, A330
Sudan Airways, B777
Uganda Airlines, A330
Zambia Airways, A330

I it indeed amazing to see such a revival! Do you have any source on Sudan Airways 777? I couldn’t find any lately? What about Nigeria Air?

Is it revival or a "they have it, now we need it too" quest?

While I would love to see airlines in africa compete/grow, going from 2-3 planes to a very expensive (often single) WB is just asking for a cock up.
Zambia Airways isn't even a thing yet, let them build a customer base first and then start thinking about longhaul flights.

Look at Ugandan airlines, it's really hard to fill two A330's with a total of four CRJ-800's... It's flights haven't even started and they start by utalising the most expensive kind of plane/service. it's a recipe for disaster.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

eastafspot

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Cunard wrote:
Air Congo, A330

Last time, an African A.net forumer got flamed when he "wrongly" wrote Delta Airlines :roll: ,
So sorry to nitpick, but the airlines should be Congo Airways and Zimbabwe Airways instead!

Anyway, Zambia market has a lot room for growth, probably one of the most vibrant in Southern Africa. The airline could be succesful with the right partnership.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm

FlyRow wrote:
i always wonder how quick african alirlines want toen go 'big' And fail soon after... Trier and tested, rarely works.

They are only waiting for your expertise, when do you apply as a [free] consultant to them?
Looking forward to seeing your results 8-)
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

yowza

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
RalXWB wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
Isn't it "The Zambia"?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-afric ... -of-gambia

Cunard wrote:

Air Congo, A330
Air Tanzania, B787
Nigerian Air, A330
Rwandair, A330
Senegal Airways, A330
Sudan Airways, B777
Uganda Airlines, A330
Zambia Airways, A330

Smacks of keeping up with the Joneses a bit I'm afraid. I wish all these carriers well but I remain skeptical. Negativity aside, I was a resident of LLW when Air Malawi briefly operated leased SA 747's and it was the talk of the town even at my primary school!

Melbourne

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:19 pm

SR380 wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Air Congo, A330
Air Tanzania, B787
Nigerian Air, A330
Rwandair, A330
Senegal Airways, A330
Sudan Airways, B777
Uganda Airlines, A330
Zambia Airways, A330

Sudan Airways apparently has made a deal with Suadia (due to Sudanese and saudi government relations) which will see a number of aircraft moved over to Sudan Airways. Apparently Airbus A330 along with Boeing 777.

https://www.arabianaerospace.aero/sudan ... -deal.html

FlyRow

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

eastafspot wrote:
FlyRow wrote:

They are only waiting for your expertise, when do you apply as a [free] consultant to them?
Looking forward to seeing your results 8-)

Don't know why you have to get personal, I'm not bashing airlines, I would have said the same if it was a EU/American/Asian airline whatsoever.

I simply said that the past has shown that going big early isn't the right tactic. Widebodies are expensive, especially in low numbers without the feeder/customer base to start with.

Again, I wish/support African airlines and highly believe that it will be an amazing booming market in the future. However the past has shown that getting a customer base first and then starting works out, Rwandair is a great example.

evanb

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:12 pm

FlyRow wrote:
Don't know why you have to get personal, I'm not bashing airlines, I would have said the same if it was a EU/American/Asian airline whatsoever.

I simply said that the past has shown that going big early isn't the right tactic. Widebodies are expensive, especially in low numbers without the feeder/customer base to start with.

Again, I wish/support African airlines and highly believe that it will be an amazing booming market in the future. However the past has shown that getting a customer base first and then starting works out, Rwandair is a great example.

Right, and that is what nobody seems to get about this. In order to run a moderately successful airline you need to match unit cost to unit revenue. Unit revenue in Africa is lower than many places in the world. For example, ET's unit revenue is about 30% lower than BA's. In order to make that successful, their unit cost has to be lower (their unit cost is actually about 34% lower).

The challenge then for these newcomers is can they keep the cost base sufficiently low? Operating widebodies is more expensive (higher fixed costs particularly) than narrowbodies. And then if those fixed costs are spread over a very small fleet, it's almost impossible.

AF022

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Uh, no. The Bronx is not called Bronx for a reason. It was settled by Joseph "Bronck". When you wanted to go visit him you went to the Broncks, like you would go visit your friends the Smiths or the Petersons.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Cunard wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Which adds absolutely nothing to this thread where we are in discussion regarding Zambia Airways considering ordering the A330!

And your response does? ;)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cunard

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 am

eastafspot wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Air Congo, A330

Last time, an African A.net forumer got flamed when he "wrongly" wrote Delta Airlines :roll: ,
So sorry to nitpick, but the airlines should be Congo Airways and Zimbabwe Airways instead!

Anyway, Zambia market has a lot room for growth, probably one of the most vibrant in Southern Africa. The airline could be succesful with the right partnership.

When I typed Air Congo I had in the back of my mind it wasn't right but I typed it non the less, I should have checked before posting as after I had checked the correct name of the airline it was too late to edit!

I appreciate your correction and by the way I am definitely not the type to be ''flamed'' either here on the wonderful weird world of a.net or in actual real life, believe me I'm not but I appreciate those that politely correct me!

Air Zimbabwe or Zimbabwe Airways the situation regarding the latter has been well documented and discussed but at the end of the day wasn't it just Air Zimbabwe in 'disguise' and the securing of the B777 by the newly formed Zimbabwe Airways a political one more than anything else.

alyusuph

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:39 am

VSMUT wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
Back to Zambia Airways. I am confused that the Minister seems to think that it would be a great idea to launch with turboprops, Boeing and Airbus aircraft would be a wise choice.

Passengers in Africa aren't the fussy type either. The alternative to spending 3 hours in a turboprop, will be 72 hours in a rickety bus, subject to plunder/murder by roadside thugs..

I doubt you have been to Africa recently. Passengers in Africa now demand better services, not only from the airlines but also from the increasing very modern buses. Check this link https://www.facebook.com/groups/eastafr ... ses/about/ Airlines flying to Africa should not underestimate the new breed of Africans.And by the way the roads in most of African countries are pretty safe, one can drive overnight for thousands of kilometres.
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

AngMoh

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 am

alyusuph wrote:
I doubt you have been to Africa recently. Passengers in Africa now demand better services, not only from the airlines but also from the increasing very modern buses. Check this link https://www.facebook.com/groups/eastafr ... ses/about/ Airlines flying to Africa should not underestimate the new breed of Africans.And by the way the roads in most of African countries are pretty safe, one can drive overnight for thousands of kilometres.

In an interview with Tim Clark from Emirates, he stated that he was happy that Europe severely underestimated the African markets and that it give them a lead on Africa-Europe traffic which the Europeans will not be able to claw back. And while not big, it was profitable because developments in Africa and growing.

It is a bit of the same as South East Asia and India. Look where India was 20 years ago and compare it with today and how many new aircraft they have on order. The same with Indonesia.

Africa is far from perfect, but Africa is developing and has a huge population and transportation is very important for development. Sooner or later these aircraft are needed.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

Cunard

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 am

AngMoh wrote:
alyusuph wrote:

In an interview with Tim Clark from Emirates, he stated that he was happy that Europe severely underestimated the African markets and that it give them a lead on Africa-Europe traffic which the Europeans will not be able to claw back. And while not big, it was profitable because developments in Africa and growing.

It is a bit of the same as South East Asia and India. Look where India was 20 years ago and compare it with today and how many new aircraft they have on order. The same with Indonesia.

Africa is far from perfect, but Africa is developing and has a huge population and transportation is very important for development. Sooner or later these aircraft are needed.

You know that your post is absolutely spot on and I have an idea that the majority of those armchair CEOs on a.net either have no clue to aviation in Africa or have never even set foot on the continent of Africa to understand.

I would even go as far to say that I should imagine that there are many out there who assume Africa is a just country and not a continent consisting of 54 Sovereign States.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos